2017 Chevrolet Cruze -- Evolution SS

4 members have voted

1. 1. The Chevy Cruze Evolution SS

• Is a Great Idea!
    • Is a Lousy Idea!

With the 2016 Cruze based on the new D2XX platform with transverse AWD support, one cannot help but wonder if GM should take up the torch Mitsubishi is setting down.  The formula is simple and very attainable:-

• Base Price: $39,995
  • 2016 Cruze Chassis (D2XX) -- 3,200 lbs Target Weight
  • 400 bhp 2.0L Extreme Output Turbo Four (LTX)*
  • Getrag 7DCT500 7-speed Dual Clutch transmission (7,500 rpm max input speed; 413 lb-ft Max Torque)
  • Open Front / Active Rear / Quaife Helical Torque Biasing Center Differential (40F/60R default split)
  • Wider Fenders wrapping 18x9.5" wheels shrodded by 275/35R18 Michellin Super Sport Tires
  • Brembo Brakes w/ 14.6" vented Discs (Front) ; 13.3" vented discs (rear) -- from ATS-V
  • Recaro Racing Bucket Seats (Optional)
  • Aggressive Air Dam / Hood Vent / Ridiculous Wing  (Totally Optional)

*2.0L Extreme Output (LTX) Engine

Based on the ubiqutous 270 hp / 295 lb-ft (LTG) 2.0L engine, the (LTX) is beefed up with light weight Titantium connecting rods, Titanium Intake Valves, hypereutectic pistons and a forged crankshaft. Compression Ratio remains at 9.5:1, but the twin-scroll turbocharger is englarged and features a titanium-aluminide turbine wheel. The Intercooler system is replaced with a low volume, high efficiency air-to-water setup. Maximum boost remains unchanged at 22 psi, but the new turbo now supports much higher airflow rates allowing for the torque peak of 300 lb-ft be available from 3000 to 7000 rpm. The power peak of 400 bhp is reached at the engine's 7000 rpm redline -- 500 rpm short of the 7500 rev limiter. This turbo philosophy is not unlike that adopted by the McLaren MP4-12C's M838T engine. Compared to the Mercedes CLA45AMG's M133 engine, the LTX achieves 40 more horsepower with 4 psi less boost, a more linear torque curve and an 800 rpm higher rev limit. Coupled with a lofty 7000 rpm redline this makes for a revy, easy to control engine which is less demanding on transmission or the driver.

To keep the price a smidgen under $40,000, the Cruze "Evolution" SS does not employ magnetorheologic shocks, carbon-ceramic brake discs, carbon fiber body panels or active steering gears. Like on the Lancer Evolution X,  7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission is externally sourced from Getrag. The 7DCT500 however is 1 generation newer than the DCT470 on the Evo X.

Edited by dwightlooi

Here is the problem.

How much will people be willing to pay and how many will they sell.

This is the real issue with cars like this at Chevy. If you run the price up to $40K would you take a Cruze or would you buy a Camaro. Hell just add some more you are at a entry level Corvette.

The import guys will not come over to Chevy and most Chevy guys will take a Camaro.

The fact is you would end up with a car that to be honest will be as much or more than a GS Regal as it is.

That is the problem with dreaming as reality smacks you in the face in the end. GM could do a lot of neat cars but the realities of the market always come into play.

Right now with the pricing of the Camaro being as they are the only real performance car that could really slot under it is a Sonic with an engine with some decent power.

Now at Buick they could really support some OPC like products and a good AWD system like a Haldex and not just some low buck system.

Also with the new car coming in just 3000 I would hope for less than 3200 pounds. The new base Malibu may be just over 3000 as it is.

Chevy is in a tough segment as they have to price low to be the value leader but they also have a real bargain in the Camaro. It takes a big chunk of the market from $25K - 50K real easy and the engine options are all winners.

Add a turbo upgrade to the 4 and you will see well over 300 HP and up to 350 FT LBS with just a change of two maps and a flash. Add Premium Required and you would have a real screamer. Now that is something that could easily happen as GM could make the kit and the dealers can use it as an add on sale. They have already done this with 4 other cars so why not the Camaro?

It is not that import fans won't buy a $40K chevy. It is that import fans won't buy a Camaro or anything remotely reminescent of those ugly cars (in their honest opinion) from 60s Americana.

Well aside from the horsepower, do you see this as a WRX STI competitor or what?

I see it more as a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X ($36,500) replacement. Lighter, higher output, faster, more tossable. Something that sits right between the Imprezza WRX and the $48,500 CLA 45AMG. There has always been a healthy market for these Kamikaze Turbo AWD rocket sleds. Mitsubishi just bowed out -- because the next gen Lancer no longer provides a suitable platform. The CLA45 is about $10K too dear for the demographics that buy these cars. GM has an AWD ready D2XX platform under the upcoming 2016.5 Cruze which is ~200 lbs lighter than the curent Delta 2. It also has the LTG 2.0L engine from which to derive a high output variant. Transmission -- like with most of these low volume cars -- can be outsourced to a transmission vendor like Getrag which has the next gen 7DCT500 7-speed twin clutch reeady to go and hungry for customers. I think GM is well positioned to get in. The key here is to defnitively win the Kamikaze Turbo AWD performance crown without pricing the car out of reach of the late-20s / early-30s young working professionals' budget. This is why Magentic ride control has to go and cloth upholstery needs to be standard. This is also why this needs to be a Chevy and not a Buick or Cadillac.

The WRX STi has always been a somewhat compromised entrant due to it's architecture. The longitudinal H-4 engine with the transmission bell and hence the front diff inline with the front axle forces Subaru put the center of gravity further forward than any of it's transverse I-4 engined competitiors. This same engine layout also compells a shorter than ideal piston stroke and a larger than ideal bore due to the limited width in the engine compartment between the front wheel wells. The consequent spark to cylinder edge distance forces Subaru to run lower compression ratios and competiting I-4s. With two banks of cylinders the exhaust routing to the turbos has alwasy been contrived in WRXes. As such the STi WRX has always been of a worse balance than the Evo. It has always had a torque peak coming in higher in the rpm range and boost response.

Edited by dwightlooi

Doesn't GM already have a 7speed DCT in the wings?

Yes and no. The GM 7-speed DCT is (1) Designed with and made in China by Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (上气集团)- GM partnership. (2) It is a dry clutch DCT, which is slightly more efficient and cheaper than a wet clutch DCT, but cannot handle high torque loads from high power engines suitable for the aforementioned applications.

Yes and no. The GM 7-speed DCT is (1) Designed with and made in China by Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (上气集团)- GM partnership. (2) It is a dry clutch DCT, which is slightly more efficient and cheaper than a wet clutch DCT, but cannot handle high torque loads from high power engines suitable for the aforementioned applications.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the torque loads. I thought DCT were tougher than torque converter automatics on that front.  Do you know what the max torque input of that transmission is?

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the torque loads. I thought DCT were tougher than torque converter automatics on that front.  Do you know what the max torque input of that transmission is?

I think that DCT is designed for the specific use with the new three, four cylinder family, introduced in China. So it should not be more than 200 to 250 lb-ft.

I absolutely love the IDEA of it. I don't think it is very practical of them but then again they don't have ANYTHING under the camaro that says performance. So to get the younger crowd to their name throw something genuinely sporty at them. I think a 400hp model should be the top tier like what Ford is doing with their Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS. But I think they should make a competitor to the "hot hatch" group even if it is a sedan(because the Cruze is only offered in a sedan).

Would never happen. It would take far too much investment for the car to use that kind of power effectively. It couldn't be sold for that price point. You have to stop and think- the current STi is already priced close to this with an exclusively AWD platform, 3/4 the power, and old hardware. Furthermore, it'd just step on the SS's toes.

I absolutely love the IDEA of it. I don't think it is very practical of them but then again they don't have ANYTHING under the camaro that says performance. So to get the younger crowd to their name throw something genuinely sporty at them. I think a 400hp model should be the top tier like what Ford is doing with their Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS. But I think they should make a competitor to the "hot hatch" group even if it is a sedan(because the Cruze is only offered in a sedan).

There is no problem with the Camaro's performance -- especially in it's SS or ZL-1 renditions. The problem with the Camaro is looks like a modern redux of a 60s Muscle Car. The entire demographics who buys Lancer EVOs and WRX STis finds 1960s American cars repulsively ugly and completely the opposite of what they deem desirable in a ride.

The Turbo AWD D2XX is not that difficult to do. The AWD system and the platform's ability to accept it is part of the D2XX crossover parts pin. The transverse CuteUtee AWD drive train will already handle 295~300 lb-ft (they are afterall mated to the 6T75 transmission which handles 305 lb-ft). What's left is to source a DCT and pump up that turbocharged LTG engine.

I like this idea, but I just can't honestly see GM doing this.  Brands like Mitsubishi need something to help them stick out and grab some attention, so something like that was a worthwhile gamble.  GM is already strong and established enough that they don't need to, and consequently don't bother with, making big splashes like this.  It would be great to see them offer more performance variants out side of the V-series Cadillac models, but right now there is no indication that any of that will happen.  There are a lot of things I'd like to see GM do and take some chances with, and more performance options is definitely a big one.  It seems to me that right now, though, their focus is on kind of rebooting Cadillac and, from all the rumors out there, maybe putting some serious effort into finally setting the GMC brand apart more.  With Chevy and Buick they appear to be a little more content to just hold the line.  Keep what they have being the best they can make it, but not go overboard with anything new.  Although, if they really do make that Avenir...