Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

C/D Graphic Shows How Camaro Has Grown/Shrunk Over The Years

(I think this is the best place to drop this thread. If it needs to be moved, feel free. Also, forgive the dead link. Copy/paste will have to do till I figure stuff out, but trust me it's worth it.)Much has been made of the new Camaro's size, and the introduction of the new one highlights that. Now, thanks to Car and Driver, you can see just how much the Camaro has grown/shrunk over the years. Cool info and graphics at the link:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-chevrolet-camaro-hasnt-grown-as-much-since-1967-as-you-might-think/

Edited by El Kabong

There's a link button just like the old forum.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-chevrolet-camaro-hasnt-grown-as-much-since-1967-as-you-might-think/

Anyway, I thought this was a super cool article. I would have liked to see a final graphic of the Gen 6 overlaid on the original Camaro. I also like how the Gen 5 vs Gen 6 graphic illustrates that despite only losing 2 inches in length, the car is also much less bulky.

2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-line-drawing-si

There's a link button just like the old forum.

Anyway, I thought this was a super cool article. I would have liked to see a final graphic of the Gen 6 overlaid on the original Camaro. I also like how the Gen 5 vs Gen 6 graphic illustrates that despite only losing 2 inches in length, the car is also much less bulky.

2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-line-drawing-si

That was the one thing I felt was missing also, scrolling up and down to try and work it all out isn't quite the same.

Man, I'm tellin' you... I'm seriously thinking about going and getting another one instead of a Stingray. Just wanna see what trims they're gonna have above the SS, or maybe see what packages Callaway will be offering. It looks that good.

Edited by El Kabong

It is much lower, which makes you wonder if it will be hard to get in and out of or see out of.  Gen 5 had poor visibility already.  Trimming length and hood height are good though, I just wonder about head room.

• Disagree 1

It is much lower, which makes you wonder if it will be hard to get in and out of or see out of.  Gen 5 had poor visibility already.  Trimming length and hood height are good though, I just wonder about head room.

Agreed that packaging needed improvement. I don't know the interior dimensions of the 6th gen so let's wait before judging. Re size, it wasn't the 5th gen issue; it was mass (i.e. weight) and that looks like it has been addressed quite well.

Agreed that packaging needed improvement. I don't know the interior dimensions of the 6th gen so let's wait before judging. Re size, it wasn't the 5th gen issue; it was mass (i.e. weight) and that looks like it has been addressed quite well.

I owned a Gen 5 for 3 years and never had an issue with entry and exit unless I was drunk. As for the visibility, the only time I had issues with seeing out of it was within the first 2-3 days pf owning it. After that I simply adjusted my driving to accommodate the styling. Maybe its because back in the 90s I used to drive around with effin louvers on the back window of an F-Body... that I don't think its that big a deal having to adjust. 

I think enthusiast cars need to be driven by people who realize that certain adjustments need to be made. Its like people complaining that the M5, RS7, CTS-V, or E63AMG get weak fuel economy.. No $h! Sherlock  :wavey:

Yeah, I don't exactly get the complaints with visibility on the Camaro.  Looking at the car you should have a good idea what you're getting into.  These cars aren't made for utility, they're made to look great and drive even better.  Sometimes you have to make a sacrifice for that, such as a little bit of visibility to get a gorgeous looking car.  I've never gotten in one and had an issue with seeing anything I needed to see, I think it's just less than what people are used to, and that concerns them, more than it's a case of actually not having enough to be able to drive safely and comfortably.

The thing that blows my mind is seeing just how low those old F-bodies were compared to the Zeta. The tumblehome on the side glass was pretty extreme on some of them as well.

All in all I'm impressed by how LITTLE current car has changed compared to the original, at least as far as size goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Those were some really awesome overlays. Id like to see that done waaaaay more often with a lot more cars..just to really get a good idea of the new/old sizes. Even with cars like the boring Camry and Accord. It is just a cool things to see and it helps really graps how much larger or smaller a vehicle is.

I have to kind of disagree with the visibility argument.. I think it should still be better than it was. i understand cars like this are going to sacrifice things here and there for style and performance but I think think quite as much as they did. What I didn't like was the really high door making for a narrow window and then the hood was so high with sittin so low I initially had no idea where the front end was. I realize you would grow to adapt to it but it was a little too extreme for my taste. The new one looks to have improved the front end with a lower hood line.

Would love to see this car with the following motor:

Rated Torque: 560 Lb Ft Peak
Rated Power: 420 HP Peak

post-12-0-48205300-1433528284_thumb.jpg

Imagen an EV Camero and how awesome the performance would be. :D

I think what most miss on this new car is it was derived from a platform that was created with Cadillac funding to compete with a BMW. In the past we had to make due with left over Chevy II/ Nova, Modified Monza like platform and rehashed aging Holden platform.

This car should have much greater refinement in areas in the past were left wanting. while it will not have the Cadillac level of materials in all areas it will be so much more a complete package than we have had in years.

I had the past F body manager tell me he always had money for engine and chassis but always was cut short of truly finishing the car inside and in other areas. This is why the window lifts fail and the interior plastic always was sub standard.

This car needed to shrink as it was too large and bulky. As for ergonomics of getting in or out.... well it is a coupe. People do not buy coupes for convenience they buy them for ego and looks. Same with some of the sight lines. For the most part most people expect some issues but the last one just pushed it too far. It is one thing not to see out the back well but when you can't see out the front that is where the line got crossed.

The lower cowl, hood and fenders will take care of most peoples issues. The rear quarter blind spot..... Well just stab the gas and move over as that will take care of anyone in your blind spot. LOL!