Lincoln Drops MKX Price to $38,995

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

2016-Lincoln-MKX.pngLincoln is giving the 2016 MKX a major improvement in style and tech, and is introducing the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 as an option for the luxury crossover. While all of those changes are significant, the cost might be just as enticing to get customers checking out the new generation. The base price for 2016 falls to $38,995, after an $895 destination charge on all models, compared to $39,795 for the 2015.

At this time, there are three trim levels listed on Lincoln's site, but a Black Label version is supposed to come along later to add a bit more opulence. Above the base Premiere trim, the Select model starts at $42,285, and adds features like LED running lights, folding and heated mirrors, leather seats, and a power hatch. Spending $46,050 brings buyers to the Reserve trim with upgrades including a panoramic sunroof, 20-inch wheels, navigation, adaptive headlights, and heated seats.

There are a huge number of individual options available, including full LED headlights and a safety suite of tech. Opting for the 2.7-liter EcoBoost pushes the price of any trim up an extra $2,000, and checking the box for all-wheel drive brings with it an added $2,495. As ever, you can spec one out yourself on the official configurator here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/22/lincoln-mkx-price-drop-38995/

$2,000 for Ecoboost?  Seems steep to add about 30 horsepower, granted the torque is way higher.  This thing is GLC money, granted it is slightly larger, but it still just seats 5.  I can't imagine buying a Lincoln over a Mercedes unless the Lincoln has $8,000 cash back and 0% financing for 6 years.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

$2,000 for Ecoboost?  Seems steep to add about 30 horsepower, granted the torque is way higher.  This thing is GLC money, granted it is slightly larger, but it still just seats 5.  I can't imagine buying a Lincoln over a Mercedes unless the Lincoln has $8,000 cash back and 0% financing for 6 years.

A comparable ML400 starts at $63,000.

So that $8K discount is already there. And then some.

This MKX and it's better pricing only makes me dislike the MKC more.

Interesting strategy.  

Yeah, I hope Lincoln has some changes in store to make the MKC 2.3T more widely available. A trim with FWD and the 2.3T would be a good start, shaving a couple grand off the price would go a long way too. I mean seriously, the MKC 2.3T AWD starts at $40k and the MKX 2.7T AWD starts at 42,500?  That's like 50% more car for 5% more money.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Screw the Benz. This thing has its hands full with the Buick Enclave.

Enclave??? The Envision is coming. 

Both of those have their hands full with this...

2016-ford-explorer-02-1.jpg

This MKX and it's better pricing only makes me dislike the MKC more.

Interesting strategy.  

Yeah, I hope Lincoln has some changes in store to make the MKC 2.3T more widely available. A trim with FWD and the 2.3T would be a good start, shaving a couple grand off the price would go a long way too. I mean seriously, the MKC 2.3T AWD starts at $40k and the MKX 2.7T AWD starts at 42,500?  That's like 50% more car for 5% more money.

Dang.  I have not really priced the MKC, and now I have sticker shock.  MKX all the way for me.  

It feels like Ford has Lincoln Logs for brains. The MKC by most accounts is a pretty good vehicle, and its parent had to muddy the waters with this move. But I guess even if potential MKC sales are cannibalized by a now cheaper MKX, the money still goes to Lincoln anyway. 

This move does put about two(ish) grand between it and the RX 350, but I'm not sure that's enough to sway people from the Lexus' perceived reliability and lower depreciation. It should put the SRX on notice though. 

Nope.. like the dynamic duo Silvy/Sierra.. Chevy/GMC use their Traverse/Acadia to deal with that. Currently the two are outselling the Explorer by about 2K YTD. That's with the two GM CUVs having on lot competition from their bigger sisters the Tahoe and Yukon

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Nope.. like the dynamic duo Silvy/Sierra.. Chevy/GMC use their Traverse/Acadia to deal with that. Currently the two are outselling the Explorer by about 2K YTD. That's with the two GM CUVs having on lot competition from their bigger sisters the Tahoe and Yukon

Sorry, Platinum Explorer is far more lavish.

And you forgot to add Explorer police fleet sales, which for some reasons Ford parses out.  It's a significant number too, selling over 2K just last month.

Indeed.

Be that as it may, this latest offering for Lincoln appears to be following the same recipe as the MKC and MXZ before it. It works in three stages:

-first, everyone gets all hot and bothered over how it's different from what came before,

-second, the reviews start trickling in that say it's an awful lot like the similarly-sized Ford product it's largely based on,

-finally, it languishes in the sales doldrums, possibly siphoning sales from Ford products while adding no new engineering or tech to them.

GLC is the GLK replacement, not the ML replacement.  ..fyi..

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I was not sure, and since the GLC is turbo I4 only, I thought it better aligned to the MKC.  MKC is a bit smaller, so GLC is somewhere in between the MKC and X.

Edited by Wings4Life

I was not sure, and since the GLC is turbo I4 only, I thought it better aligned to the MKC.  MKC is a bit smaller, so GLC is somewhere in between the MKC and X.

Yeah I think the MKX is in the middle of the two. I look at it like the MKC = Escape = Lifted Focus.. And the GLC = C Class.. C Class is larger than a Focus.. I realize that is a very rough way to look at it but it's "generally" correct.. If not correct me.

The GLC is bigger than the GLK was, but still only like 183 inches long.  The MKX is bigger but both seat 5 and most shoppers probably won't notice, and they cost similar money.  The GLC400 will have 362 hp turbo V6, the turbo 4 is just the only engine at launch, and they'll have a diesel and AMG version next year too.  The ML/GLE is a lot nicer than any Lincoln, that is like comparing an MKZ to an E-class, that is 2 different worlds.

The Enclave is like 202 inches long and a 7 seater, much bigger than an MKX, I don't see those 2 being cross shopped as much.  Just like the Explorer is a lot bigger than an MKX.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

The GLC is bigger than the GLK was, but still only like 183 inches long.  The MKX is bigger but both seat 5 and most shoppers probably won't notice, and they cost similar money.  The GLC400 will have 362 hp turbo V6, the turbo 4 is just the only engine at launch, and they'll have a diesel and AMG version next year too.  The ML/GLE is a lot nicer than any Lincoln, that is like comparing an MKZ to an E-class, that is 2 different worlds.

The Enclave is like 202 inches long and a 7 seater, much bigger than an MKX, I don't see those 2 being cross shopped as much.  Just like the Explorer is a lot bigger than an MKX.

The MKX was always designed to be a personal luxury CUV, and I hope they never change that.  Not everyone wants or needs 3 row.  The Enclave was mentioned, because GM still does not have a direct competitor. 

The MKX was always designed to be a personal luxury CUV, and I hope they never change that.  Not everyone wants or needs 3 row.  The Enclave was mentioned, because GM still does not have a direct competitor.

"Not everyone wants or needs third row," he said.

...so I guess the much costlier Navigator could learn a thing or two from the Escalade. Quelle surprise.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It's only Turbo-4 for now.  It will gain additional engines later, including a diesel. 

Except for the loathsome Sync system, the Enclave is already starting to fall behind on the powertrain. However, Enclave has 3-row seating.

Given that the Enclave has spotted the Lincoln several year's worth of potential for tech and engineering advancements I'm still content with the Buick's chances. And let's face it, when Lincoln's small SUV sells only a fraction of even Cadillac's SUV offerings (including the Escalade!) it doesn't exactly bode well for this one, even with the aggressive pricing. Edited by El Kabong

Except for the loathsome Sync system, the Enclave is already starting to fall behind on the powertrain. However, Enclave has 3-row seating.

Given that the Enclave has spotted the Lincoln several year's worth of potential for tech and engineering advancements I'm still content with the Buick's chances. And let's face it, when Lincoln's small SUV sells only a fraction of even Cadillac's SUV offerings (including the Escalade!) it doesn't exactly bode well for this one, even with the aggressive pricing.

Well you do have a point there.  The Enclave alone sold 62,300 units in 2014 where as all of the Lincoln SUVs (MKC, MKX, MKT, and Navigator) combined sold 52,305 in 2014.

However, I want to see some more powerful engine options and some updated tech in the Enclave. 

Am I the only one not understanding the Enclave's comparison to the MKX? I realize some think of Lincoln as half-assed lux and they compete with Buicks but aren't they sized quite differently and engine options and such..? I would think the MKT(top 3 ugliest vehicles on the market right now - if not THE ugliest. Quick! try and name an uglier vehicle!) would compete with the Enclave because it is larger, correct? 

Given that the Enclave has spotted the Lincoln several year's worth of potential for tech and engineering advancements I'm still content with the Buick's chances. And let's face it, when Lincoln's small SUV sells only a fraction of even Cadillac's SUV offerings (including the Escalade!) it doesn't exactly bode well for this one, even with the aggressive pricing.

Well you do have a point there.  The Enclave alone sold 62,300 units in 2014 where as all of the Lincoln SUVs (MKC, MKX, MKT, and Navigator) combined sold 52,305 in 2014.

However, I want to see some more powerful engine options and some updated tech in the Enclave.

I suspect you'll see an all-new Enclave first. And don't get me wrong-I'd love to see a bit more pep under the hood right now as well. My concern with GM is that they'll stop being aggressive with product updates and whatnot because they're in the catbird seat today. That kind of attitude is detestable to me.

Am I the only one not understanding the Enclave's comparison to the MKX? I realize some think of Lincoln as half-assed lux and they compete with Buicks but aren't they sized quite differently and engine options and such..? I would think the MKT(top 3 ugliest vehicles on the market right now - if not THE ugliest. Quick! try and name an uglier vehicle!) would compete with the Enclave because it is larger, correct?

There are size classes and price classes. I'll grant you that the Lincoln may not be an exact size match for the Buick. But I can guarantee you that, like they did in the half-ton segment, GM will have more flexibility with pricing than FoMoCo will with an all-new product.

The MKX and Enclave share a price point and much of the options list is similar.   The Enclave punches above its station in life though as it ages, that is fading.  The primary difference between the two is in the rear where the Enclave has 3-row seating.    Years ago when I drove the MKX, I called it a Lambda with the ass cut off. It feels that big.

Yeah I see a TON of the Enclaves in my town. They look alright, not my style at all though. I actually think they don't really have much styling to them but they are a clean design and could see somebody seeing the value in them.

I suspect you'll see an all-new Enclave first. And don't get me wrong-I'd love to see a bit more pep under the hood right now as well. My concern with GM is that they'll stop being aggressive with product updates and whatnot because they're in the catbird seat today. That kind of attitude is detestable to me.

The Lambda replacements were pushed back a couple of years because they are still selling so well.  They are moving to a vastly updated platform and will drop some pounds.  Some version of the 3.0TT detuned to about 375 hp would be really nice as an available engine.

Enclaves are nice, but I'll take an Acadia Denali over it any day. The Lambdas are long in the tooth, but still pretty nice with the recent refreshes. I believe the full next gens are due to begin rolling out starting with the 2017 model year. I'm expecting 8-speeds and the LGX V6.

gmc-acadia-2013-interior.jpg

I much prefer the Enclave. The Quiet Tuning really makes a difference. In this type of car, I don't want to hear any of the outside world, or the engine, or anything.  I want it to be an.... Enclave.

gallery_51_516_787584.png

The MKX and Enclave share a price point and much of the options list is similar.   The Enclave punches above its station in life though as it ages, that is fading.  The primary difference between the two is in the rear where the Enclave has 3-row seating.    Years ago when I drove the MKX, I called it a Lambda with the ass cut off. It feels that big.

Ahhh that makes sense then (to you too 'Bong).  

A friend of mine's dad has an Acadia and we took it on a float trip one year and it fit 6 guys and our luggage surprisingly EXTREMELY comfortable. He also said when we got there that he had gotten 23mpg and that is including an hour and a half of mountains and he does NOT have a light foot. It got sketchy in those mountains with a heavy footed driver lol. His is FWD though. Either way it did its job extremely well.

Today, looking at the center stack... it looks very aged, but only in the center stack. Everything else has aged very well imo.

• Agree 1

Possibly troubling for Lincoln is the coming Buick Envision.  It will be smaller than the MKX but larger than the MKC.   Buick does really well with the Enclave and Encore, so Buick could end up offering a luxury value that Lincoln would end up having trouble competing against. 

@Drew - too much fake wood in the Enclave. Maybe it's real in higher trims, I dunno, the pattern and color just don't do anything for me. I like GMC's clean, hard edged design overall, the actual metal trim pieces in the Denali go a long way too.

I guess technically a more fitting comparison would involve the Terrain Denali V6, and I REALLY like those. 301 hp V6 starts at $38k, it's much more my size too.

2016-GMC-Terrain-Denali-03.jpg

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I mean this with all honesty, that Enclave interior is just nasty.  Look at those awkward center stack shapes.

I mean, I know this is a GM site, first and foremost, and I won't get many on my side, but the new MKX simply has no competition from GM.  Plain and simple.

And this pick is not even the Black Label.

2016LincolnMKX_04_BizWire.jpg

I mean this with all honesty, that Enclave interior is just nasty. Look at those awkward center stack shapes.

I mean, I know this is a GM site, first and foremost, and I won't get many on my side, but the new MKX simply has no competition from GM. Plain and simple.

And this pick is not even the Black Label.

2016LincolnMKX_04_BizWire.jpg

This isn't a GM site. They just don't suffer fools gladly.

Next thing you'll be calling the mods overly sensitive :D :D :D

Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 1

Or, the Cadillac SRX is a direct competitor to the MKX.   They both seat 5, are nearly identical size, both have a V6, both FWD or AWD, both priced about the same.

Except for the loathsome Sync system, the Enclave is already starting to fall behind on the powertrain.  However, Enclave has 3-row seating.

Yeah.. but after 9 years on the market.. the KEY word U typed was "Starting."

I don't kno how with the hate of FWD.. but GM hit a Home Run with the Lambdas.. no.. since there were 4.. I'll call it a GRAND SLAM!!!

New on will be here soon.. and I'm confident the engines will be upgraded

If GM is going to make a 2.0T the base engine in the CT6, I don't see why they wouldn't make a turbo 4 the base engine in the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave replacements, with the 3.6 liter V6 making 330 hp the optional engine.

Never saw anything in the official press release about the 2.0T being the base engine, only that there would be a hybrid system PAIRED with the 2.0T offered on the car. I'm pretty sure the base engine will be the 335 hp V6.

If GM is going to make a 2.0T the base engine in the CT6, I don't see why they wouldn't make a turbo 4 the base engine in the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave replacements, with the 3.6 liter V6 making 330 hp the optional engine.

Never saw anything in the official press release about the 2.0T being the base engine, only that there would be a hybrid system PAIRED with the 2.0T offered on the car. I'm pretty sure the base engine will be the 335 hp V6.

From what I've seen.. this is the case. The thing is that I really hate the fact that the Cadillac has to do this with a car that weighs in at 3650lbs. Understand that those 3650lbs are being pushed by a 335HP V6. Audi on the other hand gets a pass on the A8 coming in at 4365lbs.. a WHOPPING 700lbs more.. yet they offer a 333hp/325lbs engine in the base A8.

I say that the CT6 should be able to keep up with the A8 even if they DID offer the 272HP/295lbs 2.0L Turbo in as a base.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

The Lambda triplets need a dose of torque, and a NA 3.6L is not adequate to make it an optional engine.

The Lambda triplets need a dose of torque, and a NA 3.6L is not adequate to make it an optional engine.

Just curious.. when exactly are the Lambdas in need of torque??? With the old ass 3.6L and 288HP they seem to be quite good family haulers. 

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Just curious.. when exactly are the Lambdas in need of torque??? With the old ass 3.6L and 288HP they seem to be quite good family haulers. 

I guess I was not clear, so in the context of the discussion of an I4 turbo as standard and the 3.6L as an option, it is not adequate, because the I4 already has far more torque.

If the ATS, CTS and CT6 are made to do with standard 4-cylinder power, then I don't see why a Chevy or Buick should have a standard V6, even if it is an SUV.   The Explorer has a turbo 4, wouldn't surprise me if the next Lambdas go that route.  Then they can charge people more for the V6, even it if it only the 3.6 NA.  If Lincoln can charge $2,000 for an ecoboost that adds 30 hp, I am sure GM can charge $1,000 for a V6.