2007 Yukon Denali Paint Problem

I just took delivery of my 2007 Black Yukon Denali last month. To my surprise, with my drivers side door open and the sun hitting it, I noticed it was missing paint- the whole area around the hinges was mostly primer with a hint of black paint. At fist I thought it was just an orange peel. I checked the other doors and the rear hatch- they are all the same. dust, but it would not wipe off. The outside of the doors themselves looks likePrimer with little paint. I then opened the hood and the whole engine compartment is primer color with a few black spots! I contacted GM "Customer Support" and their exact words to me were" If we built perfect vehicle it would of cost you more than $53K to buy it!"- They did offer me a free oil change and that was it. I called back the next day and spoke to another lady- she told me that it was not a functionality issue and that with the doors and hatch closed no one would see the missing paint. So what am I supposed to do with a $53k vehicle? Climb out the window? She said she would contact a manager or something. She called the next day and said basically that the rep didn't care. No goodwill was to be offered, they were not going to fix the problem and they would still honor my warranty!! Isn't that nice of them? My vehicle was only 2 weeks old at the time! I went out on the car lot and looked at all the 2007's they had- they were all the same- Missing paint! So before you sign the papers take a good look at GM's "professional grade" "flagship"

I just took delivery of my 2007 Black Yukon Denali last month. To my surprise, with my drivers side door open and the sun hitting it, I noticed it was missing paint- the whole area around the hinges was mostly primer with a hint of black paint. At fist I thought it was just an orange peel. I checked the other doors and the rear hatch- they are all the same.  dust, but it would not wipe off. The outside of the doors themselves looks likePrimer with little paint. I then opened the hood and the whole engine compartment is primer color with a few black spots! I contacted GM "Customer Support" and their exact words to me were" If we built perfect vehicle it would of cost you more than $53K to buy it!"- They did offer me a free oil change and that was it. I called back the next day and spoke to another lady- she told me that it was not a functionality issue and that with the doors and hatch closed no one would see the missing paint. So what am I supposed to do with a $53k vehicle? Climb out the window? She said she would contact a manager or something. She called the next day and said basically that the rep didn't care. No goodwill was to be offered, they were not going to fix the problem and they would still honor my warranty!! Isn't that nice of them? My vehicle was only 2 weeks old at the time! I went out on the car lot and looked at all the 2007's they had- they were all the same- Missing paint! So before you sign the papers take a good look at GM's "professional grade" "flagship"

Posting pictures would be helpful...

I would be happy to have mine, even with missing paint!

I am on my 10th week waiting for a Xl Denali now.

How do you like the truck otherwise? Hows the power? Tranny?

What options do you have?

I hear the delay on my truck is due to some of the options I want..like the Nav, heated steering wheel...etc...

Aparently there is a "hold" on these options still.

I would be happy to have mine, even with missing paint!

I am on my 10th week waiting for a Xl Denali now.

How do you like the truck otherwise?  Hows the power?  Tranny?

What options do you have?

I hear the delay on my truck is due to some of the options I want..like the Nav, heated steering wheel...etc...

Aparently there is a "hold" on these options still.

It is an awesome vehicle other than the paint. I ordered everything on mine except for the dvd player. I get about 13 mpg in town. The engine on it is great. You can pass people with no problems, the transmission shifts very smooth. I am happy with it except for the support that gm provides.

Here are some pics I snapped off real quick. The missing paint would stand out more if I had taken these in the sun and the vehicle was clean, but it has been raining here a lot...

Just click this link for the pics since I can only upload one here: Pics

Be sure to click on the "View Full Size" link under the picture to see a full size version.

I'm not sure if the engine compartment is painted on most cars anyways, but I'm not sure. The doors should not be like that though.

Call a different dealer about it.

What he said. Engine compartment is fine, but doors should be painted.

You realize that all those inner areas are fully corrosion protected even without black paint, right? The entire truck has galvanized (among other corrosion protection processes) sheetmetal panels throughout, except for the roof, which doesn't really need it because it is drained well, naturally.

that's retarded. How do they expect to get better quality ratings if they can't even perform a half decent paint job? And the service they give is crap. Looks like things aren't changing at GM as much as they'd like us to believe. My subcompact, 17 year old car is painted everywhere it should be. There's no missing paint. That primer area is gonna be the first place to rust.

Yeah, the engine compartment is fine, IMO, but the doors should be painted, especially on a Denali. It's just another example of GM missing the details and allowing the beancounters to take full control. They had to put a much nicer interior in it so the paint had to be dumbed down a bit.

Otherwise, glad to see that you generally like the Yukon. At first, I did not like the look of them but I have seen a handful on the road and they are growing on me.

The engine compartment isn't fine....on a truck this expensive they should paint the damn engine compartment, door jambs, frame rails, fan shroud, and everythikng else on this thing....That is nuts....my 27 year old Oldsmobile's engine compartment is fully painted as well as the door jambs and trunk

The engine compartment isn't fine....on a truck this expensive they should paint the damn engine compartment, door jambs, frame rails, fan shroud, and everythikng else on this thing....That is nuts....my 27 year old Oldsmobile's engine compartment is fully painted as well as the door jambs and trunk

Exactly, if my 17 year old Shadow has paint on all that stuff...a 53k SUV should have it too!

As an update on this, I received an e-mail a mere two days after this posting from the Paint Superintendant at the Janesville Assembly Plant requesting contact information from Cjinvw so they could review the vehicle build-through and see what the problem is.

Hmm, I noticed a shift in how engine compartments are painted by looking at my 2001 Silverado in comparison to my 2005. The engine compartment was fully finished in the 2001 and just "dusted" in the 2005. Something in the process must have changed.

Hmm, I noticed a shift in how engine compartments are painted by looking at my 2001 Silverado in comparison to my 2005. The engine compartment was fully finished in the 2001 and just "dusted" in the 2005. Something in the process must have changed.

cheap bastards <_<

Full corrosion protection is present before the color coat is applied. The exterior of the vehicle needs to have a top-notch paint job, but the jambs do not, necessarily. /GM's warranty coverage.

I'm sorry but for nearly 60 large....as I said before....they should be painted....as it stands now they look cheap....really cheap and not worth my money...I'd rather spend less for a Tahoe if this is what I can expect from the 900's and spend that money saved on a Denali and get the damn door jambs an everything else painted.

This is nuts, these are GM's bread and butter and they're getting a little skimpy with the butter

I'm sorry but for nearly 60 large....as I said before....they should be painted....as it stands now they look cheap....really cheap and not worth my money...I'd rather spend less for a Tahoe if this is what I can expect from the 900's and spend that money saved on a Denali and get the damn door jambs an everything else painted.

This is nuts, these are GM's bread and butter and they're getting a little skimpy with the butter

This is believed to be a bad batch of yukons. Many dealers have gone out to look at their denalis and they have no such problems.

Guest Josh

Lets hope the feedback General Motors can receive from this owner due to C&G is sufficeint enough to form a conclusion on this.

Hopefully the original poster can have his/hers issues addressed.

Kudos to GM for using fresh, innovative ways to ensure their customers are receiving the quality product they rightfully deserve.

Just bought a new 07 Denali XL. My door jambs are painted, but I do see some very light paint coverage under the hood and in the inner fender wells. Does not bother me though. The overall quality of this vehicle seems awesome. If this is one of the only shortcomings...I will live with it!

This is the first truck/SUV that I have ever owned that actually feels SPORTY. This new engine/tranny combo is very impressive.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys. Just an update:

About a month ago or so, a couple of people from GMC came to the dealership to take a look at my yukon and the problems I had with it. They agreed to have all my issues fixed. They roll-backed my denali to a GM dealership with a paint booth where the process was supervised by GM. While my Yukon was away, I was given a loaner. I am very happy with the outcome, the people from GM were apologetic and wanted to make sure that I was happy. They called me during the different stages of the painting process to keep me informed and they even called when I received my Yukon back last Friday to make sure I was very happy with the job. GM gave me an extended warranty for my troubles.

My Yukon looks great now. I am very pleased with the service that I received. I applaud GM for standing up and making the situation right. I am definitely a GM customer for life.

• 1 month later...

That's awesome that it got resolved, the Yukon Denali is one of the SUVs I really like although it's probably outside of my price range (trying to stay under $45k!).

I'm glad to hear that you got such great service after such a poor initial showing, that gives me more confidence in the brand.

Enjoy it! Black Yukon Denali's are sweet

• 1 year later...

That's awesome that it got resolved, the Yukon Denali is one of the SUVs I really like although it's probably outside of my price range (trying to stay under $45k!).

I'm glad to hear that you got such great service after such a poor initial showing, that gives me more confidence in the brand.

Enjoy it! Black Yukon Denali's are sweet

I found this thread looking for others who have the same issue i have. My 07 silverado ltz is extremely undersprayed and i never caught it at the dealer. It wasn't until i got the truck under intense sunlight that it looks like the truck got 1/2 a layer of paint. Very disappointed in how they could underspray such a nice truck. I'll be voicing my concerns here shortly.. anyone specific that you got to that was helpful? GM, DM?

Posted Image

Posted Image