Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 Dodge Avenger

from a report on Edmunds

Although the Hemi-powered Charger sedan and Magnum wagon attract most of the attention at Dodge dealers right now, the 2008 Dodge Avenger should get its fair share of looks when it goes on sale early next year.

Smaller than the Charger sedan, the Avenger will replace the outdated Stratus in the Dodge lineup. It won't have Hemi power, but judging by our most recent spy photos the Avenger will at least look like the Charger. Up front it uses upturned headlights to frame a crosshair grille while the deep front air dam gets larger air intakes and foglights. Judging by the strategically placed camouflage on the prototype, the Avenger will also share the Charger's unique C-pillar styling. In back, a set of squared-off taillights similar to the Charger finish it off.

The front-wheel-drive Avenger will share its platform with the Chrysler Sebring and next-generation Mitsubishi Galant. Engine choices will be similar to the current model, a base four-cylinder shared with the new Dodge Caliber, a midrange 2.7-liter V6 and a top-of-the-line R/T model with a 3.5-liter V6. With 250 hp and 250 pound-feet of torque, the 3.5-liter V6 would put the Avenger right in line with current midsize sedans like the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and Ford Fusion. A new six-speed automatic is expected to be used with the 3.5-liter V6 while the 2.7-liter V6 and 2.4-liter engines will most likely get a four-speed auto.

Like most cars in the class, there will be three trim levels with varying degrees of equipment. The Mopar heads over at allpar.com have a complete rundown on the expected content levels, but there's nothing too surprising. Base trim will get you the usual stuff like air conditioning, a CD stereo and keyless entry while midgrade models will add ABS, aluminum interior trim and 17-inch wheels. The top-level equipment list includes a Boston Acoustics sound system, 18-inch wheels and leather seating. Expect to see all the official information on the 2008 Dodge Avenger revealed in the next six months with a possible debut at the Los Angeles auto show in November.

Um no duh thats kinda waht it sais in the article and is almost common knowledge anyway..

Guest YellowJacket894

so this is a coupe? a ragtop?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope there's a coupe to compliment the sedan. With the Mini-Charger styling, it would be one of the coolest cars in the Dodge line-up.

I am looking forward to the Avenger. If DCX gets the interior right I think it has the best chance to challenge the Camry and Accord, mainly due to its exterior styling and preceived handling. The 3.5L V6 needs some more power, though. Just a little bit. I think Dodge made a good decision by making a baby Charger.

Edit: The 4-speed needs to be ditched, though, and ABS and side airbags need to be standard across the range.

Edited by sciguy_0504

I hope there's a coupe to compliment the sedan. With the Mini-Charger styling, it would be one of the coolest cars in the Dodge line-up.

I doubt if there is going to be a coupe..didn't Dodge and Chrysler drop their coupes (Avenger/Sebring) a while back?

I doubt if there is going to be a coupe..didn't Dodge and Chrysler drop their coupes (Avenger/Sebring) a while back?

Yes. I doubt sales of the last Stratus coupe would motivate DCX to produce another coupe variant. I could be wrong though.

Yes.  I doubt sales of the last Stratus coupe would motivate DCX to produce another coupe variant.  I could be wrong though.

I believe the dropping of the coupes was partially due to sales and partially due to the burnt bridge between DCX & MMC....

Similarly the Sebring has already shown spy shots of the 'vert but a coupe is a big ???

This is probably the top thing outside of GM that I am looking forward to the most. I think the Avenger could look great and do really, really well in the market place. Its distinctive styling could prove to be its biggest asset, as the Fusion's design is its biggest attraction.

This is probably the top thing outside of GM that I am looking forward to the most.  I think the Avenger could look great and do really, really well in the market place.  Its distinctive styling could prove to be its biggest asset, as the Fusion's design is its biggest attraction.

Yeah, although whereas the Fusion really isn't that exciting/distinctive when you remove the grill, head and tail lights, the Avenger looks like it will be distinctive allround.