Motor Trend "Real MPG" rates Colorado Diesel 23 city/31 hwy

Motor Trend's affiliate that does the "Real MPG" ratings tested a Colorado 2.8L Diesel and achieved 23.2 city/31.4 highway/26.3 combined. Pretty solid numbers. Cracking 30 mpg in a truck with towing capacity more in line with V8s 10 years ago is pretty awesome.

For argument sake, the EPA rates the larger and more powerful RAM Ecodiesel at 20 mpg city/28 highway. It's an apples/oranges comparison, but take it for what you will.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/10/2016-chevrolet-colorado-duramax-returns-31-4-mpg-highway-and-26-3-combined-in-controlled-testing

Edited by cp-the-nerd
  • Agree 1

That is nice fuel economy for a truck which is mere inches away from being a current full-size.

Will the Colorado Trail Boss get the diesel? And the Canyon Denali?

I believe GM announced the Z71 and Trail Boss packages will offered with the diesel. The Canyon Denali hasn't been unveiled yet.

Based on these figures, updating the chart that was on the other web site we now see the Duramax versus Ecodiesel as follows:

attachicon.gifDuramax-vrs-Ecodiesel.jpg

This Rocks!!! :metal:

Isn't the vehicle basically 9/10ths of a half ton anyway?  Fantastic freakin' mileage.  And as a truck I think the low end would just be how a truck should be driven anyway. Trucks shouldn't have 7000rpm redlines but a boat load of torque under 3000rpm.

Based on these figures, updating the chart that was on the other web site we now see the Duramax versus Ecodiesel as follows:

attachicon.gifDuramax-vrs-Ecodiesel.jpg

This Rocks!!! :metal:

Isn't the vehicle basically 9/10ths of a half ton anyway?  Fantastic freakin' mileage.  And as a truck I think the low end would just be how a truck should be driven anyway. Trucks shouldn't have 7000rpm redlines but a boat load of torque under 3000rpm.

Yes, I agree that while this is not a full size, it is about 8 to 9 tenths of the way there, close enough that this is a huge improvement.

My gut tells me this is not only a rock solid product for this truck line, but a test bed of what they might bring to the full size line also.