Quick Drive: 2016 Nissan 370Z

William Maley

You have decided that you want a two-seater V6 coupe that is under $40,000. Well, you have limited your choices to just one car, the Nissan 370Z. The model has basically stayed the same since it launched in 2009 and is looking quite dated compared to the competition. But Nissan believes there is still some life in the 370Z. Case in point is the model seen here. This is new base 370Z which is aimed at those who want dedicated sports car without breaking the bank. For $30,940 (with a $825.00 destination charge), you get a 3.7L V6 with 332 horsepower, six-speed manual, and other essentials. Seems like a steal? Not quite.

Let’s begin with the good parts of the 370Z. First is the styling which still looks quite sharp and pays homage to the original 240Z. A low slung front end is complemented by a sharply sloped roofline and flared out rear fenders. A set of eighteen-inch wheels finished in black and a dual-exhaust system spells out the 370Z’s intention very clearly. The V6 is a sweetheart as it provides thrust throughout the rev range. Whether you find yourself leaving a stop or exiting a corner, power will come on instantaneously when you step on the pedal.

Handling is where the 370Z really shows off. In a corner, the coupe hunkers down on the road thanks to grippy tires. The suspension keeps the coupe level when corning. The steering provides an excellent feel of the road. I do wish the steering had a bit more weight to add confidence when playing around.

But now we come to the disappointments, of which 370Z has a number of. The interior can’t pull off the illusion of looking younger than it actually is as the like the exterior. One look inside and you’ll know it is old. The seats aren’t comfortable as they don’t have enough padding. Also, I found it hard to find a comfortable position in the seat. I spent most of the fiddling with the adjustments just to try to find a setting that worked for me. If you’re planning to do Bluetooth streaming from your phone, then you should avoid the base model. It doesn’t come with Bluetooth streaming at all.

The short throw six-speed manual isn’t the easiest to work with as it is quite notchy and isn’t the easiest to put into gear. A few times, I found myself putting the transmission into the wrong gear because I couldn’t tell where in the pattern the gear stick was.

The base 370Z is a tricky car to give a final opinion. For all of the positive points, there is an equal amount of negative points. The only way I could recommend someone check out a 370Z is if they are looking for a pure sports car that won’t break the bank. Otherwise, there a number of other vehicles that offer many of the thrills of the 370Z without many of the issues.

Cheers: Styling, low price, handling that can rival more expensive sports cars
Jeers: Interior betrays its old age, six-speed manual is notchy, steering needs a bit more heft

Disclaimer: Nissan Provided the 370Z, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2016
Make: Nissan
Model: 370Z
Trim: N/A
Engine: 3.7 DOHC 24-Valve V6
Driveline: Rear-Wheel Drive, Six-Speed Manual
Horsepower @ RPM: 332 @ 7,000
Torque @ RPM: 270 @ 5,200
Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/26/21
Curb Weight: 3,292 lbs
Location of Manufacture: Tochigi, Japan
Base Price: $29,990
As Tested Price: $30,940 (Includes $825.00 Destination Charge)

Options:
Carpeted Floor Mats - $125.00

View full article

WOW, Like ccap41, They still make this?  :yikes:

The exterior is nice but been there done that. Interior is truly dated and wow talk about marked up hard plastics. That car has been used, abused and clearly needs a serious update. Yes some hard core sports fans will still buy it, but I doubt it will sell much. What 15-20K units? What was the number of units sold last year?

7391. That is how many they sold in 2015 in the US. 

Agreed with you dfelt, it just looks, and is, dated at this point. When it first came out it was a car very much comparable to the American Muscle cars(at least competitive) but as they've grown up and been completely redone..this hasn't.. It's just..old..now.  From the outside it's still a good looking car but the performance and interior just isn't where it ought to be. 

Hmm. My driving impressions largely mirror these, save for a few differences.

First off, and a glaring omission from this piece, the ride is absolutely awful. This is one of the worst riding cars out there. The suspension just never settles down. It's always bouncing, whether it's driving straight through city streets or on back roads. The car just isn't buttoned down. Even in NISMO spec. I have no qualms with the shifter, though it is a bit notchy. The clutch is another issue, however. It's too stiff, and has way too much travel. I think the steering is the high point of the car, as it is quick, precise, has good feel, and I think it is very nicely weighted. Handling balance is neutral, though it can be easily provoked into oversteer. It's very catchable when it does, though. 

If you just want a new sports car that needs to function as nothing other than just that, it's a decent choice. Not much more than a FR-S, but with a load more power and handling almost as good. Throw some good coilovers on it, and it'll fix the car's business.

Here's a weird comparison you'd never see coming 5 or 10 years ago: 2016 Camaro V6 or Nissan 370Z?

It's only Nissan's fault this is a relevant question. The 370Z is totally outdated. The Camaro gives up a few tenths in a straight line, but has a better chassis, ride, fuel economy, practicality, technology, interior (shocking, I know!), and a modern exterior design. Even the VQ V6 is showing its age in a bad way.

Here's a weird comparison you'd never see coming 5 or 10 years ago: 2016 Camaro V6 or Nissan 370Z?

It's only Nissan's fault this is a relevant question. The 370Z is totally outdated. The Camaro gives up a few tenths in a straight line, but has a better chassis, ride, fuel economy, practicality, technology, interior (shocking, I know!), and a modern exterior design. Even the VQ V6 is showing its age in a bad way.

Without having driven the new Camaro, it's hard to say, but I'd be inclined to say it.

• 3 weeks later...