Demographic Groups Rank Most Buzz-Worthy Vehicles

Demographic Groups Rank Most Buzz-Worthy New Vehicles

Domestic Launches Creating Most Buzz, Mercedes-Benz CLS Universally Viewed as Sophisticated

IRVINE, Calif., May 10 /PRNewswire/ -- New-vehicle launches creating the most buzz differ greatly by demographic and vehicle consideration groups, according to the 2006 AutoVIBES Demographics reports, now available from online research leaders Harris Interactive® and Kelley Blue Book Marketing Research. The annual AutoVIBES Demographics series of reports provide significant insight into the diverse vehicle shopping preferences and opinions of different age groups, ethnicities and segment consideration groups.

Most Buzz-Worthy New Nameplates Among Demographic/Vehicle Consideration
                                  Groups

Demographic                              New-Vehicle Nameplate Seen as
                                                Having the Most Buzz

Generation Y (Born from 1977-1986)       Chevrolet Cobalt
  Generation X (Born from 1965-1976)       Hummer H3
  Baby Boomers (Born from 1946-1964)       Dodge Charger
  Pre-Boomers  (Born 1945 and earlier)     Ford Five Hundred
  Hispanic                                 Ford Shelby Cobra GT 500
  Asian                                    Lexus 400h
  African-American                         Dodge Charger
  Luxury Considerers                       Mercedes-Benz CLS
  Minivan Considerers                      Ford Freestyle
  Truck Considerers                        Dodge Charger
  SUV Considerers                          Hummer H3
  Sporty Car Considerers                   Ford Shelby Cobra GT 500
  Sedan Considerers                        Ford Five Hundred
  Hybrid/Alternative Fuel Considerers      Dodge Charger

AutoVIBES examined 49 new-nameplate launches in 2005, 25 of which were domestics. Car-buyers in 14 demographic/vehicle consideration groups rated 12 domestics and only two imports as being the most buzz-worthy.

"Domestic manufacturers have recently introduced some exciting new products that are catching the eye of many consumers," said Jack R. Nerad, executive editorial director and market analyst for Kelley Blue Book and kbb.com. "The highly-anticipated Dodge Charger is making waves among buyers in many different demographics."

The new AutoVIBES study also shows vehicle shoppers of all generations see domestic vehicles as the most buzz-worthy, although each generation rates a different domestic vehicle in the top spot. The youngest age-group surveyed, Generation Y, and the oldest age-group surveyed, Pre-Boomers, had only one vehicle in common on their top five buzz list: Dodge Charger.

Different Generations Weigh In:  The Top Five New-Vehicle Nameplates with the
                                Most Buzz

Rank            Generation Y                   Pre-Boomers
             (Born from 1977-1986)         (Born 1945 and earlier)

1            Chevrolet Cobalt              Ford Five Hundred
   2            Dodge Charger                 Buick LaCrosse
   3            Ford Shelby Cobra GT 500      Cadillac DTS
   4            Hummer H3                     Ford Freestyle
   5            Pontiac G6                    Dodge Charger

While different groups chose a variety of vehicles as most buzz-worthy, there was universal agreement among all that the Mercedes-Benz CLS was the most "sophisticated." In addition, the Pontiac Solstice was rated high by all groups for being "exciting," "youthful" and "imaginative."

Apparently I'm a Gen Y-er...never knew.  :lol:

so if thats a gen y-er and then 86 to whatever is Z.... then do they go back to A? so confused.... :duh:

I find it strange that in a survey where half the products are import brands, only 2 import-brand vehicles showed up as top picks. I'm not trying to put down the domestics by any means...but the Dodge Charger is the top pick among "Hybrid/Alternative Fuel Considerers?" Really? And Generation Y is really hoping for a Chevrolet Cobalt?

Doesn't this sound like one of the Big3 paid for the survey?

sciguy:

The Freestyle, according to this survey, is the most "buzz worthy" among that demographic. The Freestyle isn't even a minivan...but apparently the group of people who are leaning toward buying a minivan...aw, geez...I can't even FAKE that I trust this survey.

I was just thinking about that ad when I saw your post! :lol: I hear Dodge dealers actually got phone calls about if they had a Charger Hybrid...just goes to show you how stupid some people are (I could throw a Toyota joke in their but I'll take the high road...this time :P)

If GM offered it in a hunter green (like the Sky's) then I would really like the Cobalt.

I have driven them, and though "aspire" is a strong word, I would appreciate the ownership of one.

I aspire more for an Alfa Romeo 159/Brera, or a Saturn Astra GTC!