Frisky Dingo

New Ford Fusion Sport Review

Thanks for the review, Frisky! Nice read.

I'll have to see if one of these comes to my local dealer and see if my buddy will let me take it for a spin.

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

Good review, I like the Chex Mix analogy.  I never drove one, but I imagine the problem comes down to trying to cram power into a front drive chassis and make a family sedan sporty.  It wasn't designed to compete with an A4.  Gotta have a rear drive biased car if you want performance.  

Quite the sales experience they have going on at the Ford dealership too.  That is pretty embarrassing really.  It isn't hard to greet some one, introduce yourself and shake a hand.  I do that when dealing with customers, I'd expect the same when I am a customer some where.

It seems like this is sort of like the Maxima...marketing itself as  a sports sedan when it really isn't one.

Nice, well written rational review.

20 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Thanks guys.

@A Horse With No Name It is certainly closer to the mantra of the Maxima than the Maxima itself. 

@Stew Yeah, I at least had some slight interest in it, but no longer. Sounds great on paper, but in real life, not so much. Then again, that's a long list of cars.

I hear ya on the long list.  So many look good on paper or get reviews in the media like they are the best thing since sliced bread and then you get in them and are like WTF?  Opposite is true sometimes too. 

The S4 is already an insane bargain at $50K to start, comparing to a 340i that is easily $60K.  I doubt anyone really expected the Sport to compare to the S4 by simply adding a bigger engine and improved dampening.  But kudos to Ford for having the guts to offer it. Few cars can touch it for its price. In fact, nothing can touch it for it's price.

On 9/25/2016 at 10:23 PM, Wings4Life said:

The S4 is already an insane bargain at $50K to start, comparing to a 340i that is easily $60K.  I doubt anyone really expected the Sport to compare to the S4 by simply adding a bigger engine and improved dampening.  But kudos to Ford for having the guts to offer it. Few cars can touch it for its price. In fact, nothing can touch it for it's price.

To compare directly? No. But perhaps be more sporting and engaging than it is. Truth is the car kind of lies in a no-mans land of average run-of-the-mill sedans that offer a true hardware upgrade, but not to the extent to sway prospective buyers of premium and more sport-oriented marques. Some may see the car as a nice blend of multiple attributes. And I get that. I see a car that is stuck in between roles and compromised because of it.

This doesn't bode well for the new crop of Lincoln sedans. I thought the Fusion Sport was going to be a taste of how high they can elevate their FWD/AWD chassis in power and dynamics. I agree on your criticism of the Fusion's center stack and touch panel. Pictures are more kind than reality in this case.

How does the acceleration and feeling of thrust compare to other performance cars you've driven? This car is expected to have a low 5-second 0-60 mph, and presumably a mid-13 second 1/4 mile.

3 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

To compare directly? No. But perhaps be more sporting and engaging than it is. Truth is the car kind of lies in a no-mans land of average run-of-the-mill sedans that offer a true hardware upgrade, but not to the extent to sway prospective buyers of premium and more sport-oriented marques. Some may see the car as a nice blend of multiple attributes. And I get that. I see a car that is stuck in between roles and compromised because of it.

I think we knew from the get go that it would be in no-man's land. It's the only "performance" oriented mainstream mid size sedan so that alone puts it in company of 1.

I do see what you mean in compromised in both sport and "lux" and not the greatest at either. I think that attribute would make it a very enjoyable daily driver(especially when somebody offers a nice tune for it.) . At least here where the roads all suck anyway...

2 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

This doesn't bode well for the new crop of Lincoln sedans. I thought the Fusion Sport was going to be a taste of how high they can elevate their FWD/AWD chassis in power and dynamics. I agree on your criticism of the Fusion's center stack and touch panel. Pictures are more kind than reality in this case.

How does the acceleration and feeling of thrust compare to other performance cars you've driven? This car is expected to have a low 5-second 0-60 mph, and presumably a mid-13 second 1/4 mile.

The acceleration felt pretty good. The midrange, in particular, was strong. It reminded me a lot in power and delivery and acceleration of the N55 335/535 cars. Just a bit more lag down low. I think the performance figures are pretty accurate. The transmission tuning and response is what really lets it down, though. The paddles aren't much better than useless. Shifts are slow and soft, and it races to top gear.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I think we knew from the get go that it would be in no-man's land. It's the only "performance" oriented mainstream mid size sedan so that alone puts it in company of 1.

I do see what you mean in compromised in both sport and "lux" and not the greatest at either. I think that attribute would make it a very enjoyable daily driver(especially when somebody offers a nice tune for it.) . At least here where the roads all suck anyway...

Dude, what?!?! You're crazy. There are some absolutely phenomenal driving roads around here!! You need to hurry up and buy something fun so we can take a drive!!

This car really is in the company of one, and thus, should sell well.  It is not what Ford would call a ‘performance car.’ That title fits their Ford Performance products and their respective capabilities.  What this is supposed to be, and Ford was clear on it, was a V6 Fusion for those that requested it, and in athletic clothes. Nothing more.  Ford can’t control what expectations people might have, they can only deliver on what they promised, and deliver they did.  The car is roomy and easy to live with and powerful, sporty and affordable, and IMO, very handsome too.

That all said, what a great platform to tweak it for much better performance.

• Upvote 1

*Straight line performance.

And it has plenty of shortcomings in other areas. I don't think I've leveled unwarranted criticism at the car. The point isn't that Ford gave us what they said they would, it's that they could have done more. Toyota delivers what they say they will too, but I don't see any shortage of people bashing them because they make cars that are 'boring' or 'dull'. People have no problem ignoring that the cars are efficient, reliable, practical, and cheap to own and operate- just as Toyota intends. 

14 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Dude, what?!?! You're crazy. There are some absolutely phenomenal driving roads around here!! You need to hurry up and buy something fun so we can take a drive!!

Where??? I know a couple hours past stl heading south you can run into some mountains and that would be fun but my side of the river.. flat. :thumbsdown:

26 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

The paddles aren't much better than useless. Shifts are slow and soft, and it races to top gear.

I have to believe they respond like the stupid button I have in my Escape.. and it's dog$h!, IMO. It's nice to have..i guess.. But if those paddles respond anything like my Escape then they are just a waste.

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Where??? I know a couple hours past stl heading south you can run into some mountains and that would be fun but my side of the river.. flat. :thumbsdown:

About 15 minutes outside of STL metro area to the west and southwest. Sublime roads.

38 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

*Straight line performance.

And it has plenty of shortcomings in other areas. I don't think I've leveled unwarranted criticism at the car. The point isn't that Ford gave us what they said they would, it's that they could have done more. Toyota delivers what they say they will too, but I don't see any shortage of people bashing them because they make cars that are 'boring' or 'dull'. People have no problem ignoring that the cars are efficient, reliable, practical, and cheap to own and operate- just as Toyota intends. 

Actually, many people dump on Toyota for not producing an exciting car, including myself.  

I would own a Honda.

I would never a Toyota.

Ford delivered what it 'intended' to deliver.

2 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Actually, many people dump on Toyota for not producing an exciting car, including myself.  

I would own a Honda.

I would never a Toyota.

Ford delivered what it 'intended' to deliver.

That's EXACTLY my point. Toyota isn't trying to build exciting vehicles. They are building appliances for the masses for basic transportation. 

The Fusion Sport isn't exciting to anyone who's driven a sports coupe, either.

2 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

The Fusion Sport is a more powerful Fusion

That's all it was ever supposed to be, but there is plenty of excitement and very little competition.

'Bout sums it up.

• Upvote 1

Car & Driver just released their instrumented test on the Fusion Sport. Their impressions are almost identical to yours. On all season tires, handling is basically the same as a non-sport trim. The engine is the best thing about the car.

0-60: 5.1 sec
1/4 mile: 13.7 @ 101 mph
Weight as tested: 4128 lbs :blink:

www.caranddriver.com/reviews/tested-2017-ford-fusion-sport-review

Edited by cp-the-nerd

It makes sense though. That's probably why they never went ahead and used ST/RS/GT or anything like that for it. They kept it a soft daily cruiser with some brawn.

13.7 is pretty good. 101mph sounds like most EcoBoosts...running out of breath on the top end.

North of 4100lbs is quite chunky. But I guess a twin turbo V6 with AWD that does happen..

For perspective:
Chevy SS Sedan - 3900 lbs
Cadillac CTS V-Sport - 4000 lbs
Dodge Challenger R/T - 4100 lbs

I know they're all 2WD, but damn. If they kept it under two tons, it might be a bit more willing to dance!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook