Industry News: Geely Introduces Lynk & Co, Coming to the U.S. In 2018

Chinese automaker Geely has introduced a new global brand, Lynk & Co., and their first model, an SUV developed alongside with Volvo in Berlin tonight. Geely's hopes for this new brand is to "disrupt the automobile industry and redesign the process of buying, owning and using a car".

The SUV called the 01 looks like a Porsche Cayenne up front and possibly Volvo along the side. Power will come from a hybrid system comprised of a 1.5L three-cylinder engine and electric motor. Other engines options will be announced at a later time. Transmissions include a manual and dual-clutch automatic. The 01 uses Volvo's CMA (Compact Modular Architecture) platform - something we'll be seeing in the near future with Volvo's upcoming 40-Series.

But the big story with Lynk & Co isn't the 01, it is everything around it. First, Lynk & Co will sell their vehicles either online or at select store locations. A small number of trims will be offered for each to model to help keep costs down. Prices will be fixed in all markets and buyers will have their new vehicle delivered to their home. If servicing needs to take place, Lynk & Co will pick up the vehicle.

Second, Lynk owners can make money by sharing their vehicle. A share button in the infotainment system allows an owner to grant a shared key to others to drive the vehicle. Third, Lynk is giving developers an open application programming interface to develop in-car applications. Lynk says the likes of Microsoft, Ericsson, and Alibaba are helping out with building the infrastructure needed for this.

Geely plans on launching Lynk & Co next year in China, with Europe and the U.S. following in 2018. There will be more models down the line (02, 03, etc) such as a sedan.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Roadshow

View full article

i'm very excited to see how the sales model pans out, as well as the 'sharing' functionality. i'd love to see cars be further redefined into a more communal, 'shareable' commodity. 

the powertrain sounds interesting, especially with a manual option. less interesting is the design which seems a mishmash of KIA, SAAB and Nissan Juke, but it's not offensive either. 

I haven't read that Chinese auto mfg's have to set up joint ventures here in NA. You know, like the laws stipulate foreign auto companies must do in China. 

When Beijing allowed foreign carmakers to set up shop in China in early 1980s, it wanted to make sure they didn’t kill off the nascent domestic industry. Foreign companies were required to enter into joint ventures with local manufacturers and to share technology with them. Each foreign carmaker is allowed to partner with up to two local groups in joint ventures.

I will give them $25 for it.  And no way am I sharing a car with anyone.  People have nasty, dirty, criminal habits and I want no part of that.  The idea of a "communal car" is a huge turn-off.

Edited by ocnblu

1) Car is but ugly. :puke: 

2) Hate the idea of communal car sharing, most people that do that are nasty dirty and I would never use a car2go or zip as they are just a mess inside. The people clearly car less since it is not really their car. Even with a co-sharing where the other person pays money to share a car, most will see it as a disposable auto. NASTY NASTY NASTY

3) Apps system, great another way for hackers to take over your auto, mess it up or worse, big brother watches you and decides they need to take out someone so they cause you to crash. No Thanks

4) Agree with Ocnblu, worth $25 buck of them paying me to drive this so called auto.