Jump to content
William Maley

Cadillac News: Don't Expect Cadillac To Come To Australia Anytime Soon

Recommended Posts

In 2009, Cadillac was gearing up to launch the brand in Australia. A small number of dealers had signed up to begin selling a right-hand drive version of CTS. But weeks before the launch, plans were axed. The economic crisis and fluctuations in various currencies were the reasons given. But in the past couple of years, various GM executives have said the brand will be coming to Australia and pictures have surfaced of various Cadillac models in the country. 

However, head of General Motors International Stefan Jacoby poured a bucket of cold water on this, telling Australian media at the Detroit Auto Show that the time isn't right for Cadillac to enter Australia.

"We have no plans for that," said Jacoby.

"First of all we should manage Holden and then we should look to Cadillac."

Holden is currently transitioning from relying heavily on the Commodore to expanding their lineup comprised of vehicles coming from around the world. Already, Holden has launched the Astra Hatchback and will soon be launching the Astra sedan (Chevrolet Cruze) and Acadia. Once Holden is successful with this, Jacoby said they would revisit the idea of Cadillac in Australia.

Cadillac chief designer Andrew Smith (who happens to be a Holden alum) tells Drive.com.au that he would like to see Cadillacs on Australian roads, but only when the time is right.

"We're talking about Cadillac in Australia and I see it as a really good fit, but it is a futile exercise until you have exactly the portfolio you need," said Smith.

"I think the Australian market is an interesting one, it's always been a mix of the European market and the American tastes. Even though we like to think it is European certainly American tastes are similar. But again it's about having everything we need to make sure we can launch it properly."

Source: Drive.com.au


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me translate. 

We are not going till the new updated vehicles firs arrive in America in the next few years and then we will go down under once we have them converted to RHD. 

Between the rebuilding of Holden. The arrival of the C8 in 2020 and by then Cadillac should have some RHD products that would do well. 

They are going as that is why Holden has no choice of their product and the fact nothing from Cadillac can or will be rebadged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say.. thank GOD for the economic crisis effecting GM.. of and the IGNITION CRISIS. I am the most dedicated of GM lovers.. and I have to say that their attention to detail in their current and future products simply blow anything and everything pre-crisis'. That being said.. a proper product launch in these markets is absolutely a must. For some craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy reason.. England and Australia have to have RHD... Cadillac simply does not have it yet.. and the investment doesn't seem to warrant the changeover of existing Alpha and Omega products. I bet good money that the C2xx is ready to go.. and even the Omega.. but U need the Alphas.. the ATS is still Cadillac's biggest seller after the XT5/SRX globally. It does quite well. Anyway.. Growth is growth.. Cadillac is coming into its own.. being the a true brand to watch... despite only having a combined 7 models versus all of its competitors having 11+

 

 

Caddyglobal 2016.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never understood the whole RHD thing, only a few places actually are like that, so why not just change over so one consistent driving world wide. Course then Japan, Aussie Aussie Aussie and UK would not be different then. :P

I am happy Cadillac is not trying to just blitz the world with product but slowing rolling out better product with proper roll out plans for each market. 

Tired of people saying you can go into the back of an Opel Store if you want a Cadillac. Not funny or good for the brand! <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Never understood the whole RHD thing, only a few places actually are like that, so why not just change over so one consistent driving world wide. Course then Japan, Aussie Aussie Aussie and UK would not be different then. :P

I am happy Cadillac is not trying to just blitz the world with product but slowing rolling out better product with proper roll out plans for each market. 

Tired of people saying you can go into the back of an Opel Store if you want a Cadillac. Not funny or good for the brand! <_<

This is why most avoid the change. Dagen H

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/dagen-h-sweden-1967/

Sweden had a large number of LHS cars already and even then old habits were hard to break. In the many places with the RHS now they have few LHS cars and the change would only be multiplied in difficulty.

Who knows since most are small markets MFG may work to get them to change their minds but I just don't see it happening.

The return of Cadillac will take time. First to get the new product in place and then working to change hearts and minds about the brand. It will take time as nothing changed over night like this. Some folks on the web think one car and one year will do it but that is not going to happen.

They need to sell the brand image and how the self reflection of owning such a car puts the owner in a better light. Lets face it we could all live with a Impala but people go out and buy cars like BMW and Benz just because of the image it cast on them. Many feel it makes them look successful and well off even if they are just barely covering the lese payment.

Selling these products are not unlike Cigarettes. I just saw a show the other day and how the Cigarette MFG all were selling the same tight tube of tobacco but needed to set them all apart. Hence we got things like the Marlboro Man to macho up the brand to appeal to men. The product was the same but the selling of an image people would reflect back on themselves is what changed. Cadillac today is building better products and even better are to come but to convince people to change their opinion will take investment and time.

This is why they do all these odd Art Shows and fashion deals. While it may be a waste to us the enthusiast it puts the product in front of the people who set the trends in the circles that care [or superficial enough to worry about what they drive says about them].

They also have worked the business market as they want to cultivate that if you are successful you drive a Cadillac. They used to own this segment till people that were not successful began to drive their cars and it lost all meaning sitting in the Wal Mart parking lot as the owner was inside buying lottery tickets vs. brokering a big deal for the company.

A classic case of marketing was cars like the 944. Not a bad car but it became a joke that if you owned a 944 that you could not afford the 911. The 924 was even worse as it said you really did not get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

 

They also have worked the business market as they want to cultivate that if you are successful you drive a Cadillac. They used to own this segment till people that were not successful began to drive their cars and it lost all meaning sitting in the Wal Mart parking lot as the owner was inside buying lottery tickets vs. brokering a big deal for the company.

A classic case of marketing was cars like the 944. Not a bad car but it became a joke that if you owned a 944 that you could not afford the 911. The 924 was even worse as it said you really did not get it.

I often think that this is a flawed way of looking at things. A product does not pick its buy that precisely. If U really succumb to such perceptions then U really are not paying attention.. NOT U Hyper.. but the consumers out there. Everyone driving a Benz is not brokering a deal for who they work for because many driving a Benz these days are managers or, in some cases workers at that Walmart. Benz is doing the exact opposite with their branding compared to Cadillac. Its not completely set in yet.. but day by day we see it. Mercedes is for all intents competing directly with CHEVY, BUICK,  and CADILLAC at this point. In Australia, the E-Class was a Commodore competitor. Your Porsche comparison is different as well. As the Porsche brand, was mostly 911 at the time. The 944 was introduced with the sole purpose of offering a cheaper Porsche. Cadillac has nothing except market products that are priced accordingly with their competition for all intent. The CT6, might be the exception, but the Platinum is priced perfectly as an alternative competitor like the LS460.. or even XJ, with the Caddy actually being more expensive and more powerful than either in that particular start range 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I often think that this is a flawed way of looking at things. A product does not pick its buy that precisely. If U really succumb to such perceptions then U really are not paying attention.. NOT U Hyper.. but the consumers out there. Everyone driving a Benz is not brokering a deal for who they work for because many driving a Benz these days are managers or, in some cases workers at that Walmart. Benz is doing the exact opposite with their branding compared to Cadillac. Its not completely set in yet.. but day by day we see it. Mercedes is for all intents competing directly with CHEVY, BUICK,  and CADILLAC at this point. In Australia, the E-Class was a Commodore competitor. Your Porsche comparison is different as well. As the Porsche brand, was mostly 911 at the time. The 944 was introduced with the sole purpose of offering a cheaper Porsche. Cadillac has nothing except market products that are priced accordingly with their competition for all intent. The CT6, might be the exception, but the Platinum is priced perfectly as an alternative competitor like the LS460.. or even XJ, with the Caddy actually being more expensive and more powerful than either in that particular start range 

Well with Benz you can not judge their marketing based on what we see here as they market differently in different places globally. We see them only as a Luxury car here in other placed they are a Taxi with many models. They were only ever treated as a luxury brand accept in the early Studebaker years. They did have some basic models then that are forgotten since they are not worth restoring.

Now here in the stated people use Benz and BMW as a statement of success much like Cadillac used to be.

when I used to work in the bad part of town we had many people driving new Cadillac's that were worth twice the price of the homes the people lived in and they did it for image.

To me globally Cadillac is at an advantage as they do not have to be the be all do all brand and can focus on one thing and only one thing only Luxury.

But every market is different and there are no absolutes to any of this. Hell China treats Buick like royalty and here it is still struggling to change their image and a old persons car. We are not one world and we are not all alike in out taste and desires. Marketing needs to take this into account and each market is a brand new game.

As for the Cheaper Porsche that did more damage than good in the long run. That is why the Boxster today is much higher priced than the 944 was. It is still the cheaper model but it is not more Corvette Stingray priced vs. Camaro.

It is easy to compare Chevy to Honda to Toyota to Nissan to Ford. But move up the scale an the markets and companies operate much differently in much different volumes and circles.

I am grateful that Cadillac is just focused on the mid to higher end things for their segment and not as much focused on the low end as they have Buick and Chevy to play clean up. This will make the image rehab a little less difficult as it is difficult enough now.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

To me globally Cadillac is at an advantage as they do not have to be the be all do all brand and can focus on one thing and only one thing only Luxury.

^^^ This. I have argued this for a while. Its one of the reasons why it is almost impossible for me to argue sales of Cadillac versus Benz, Bimmer, or Audi... they simply cover a spectrum that Cadillac doesn't need to. Let's face it.. as an example.. Audi's competitor in China isn't so much Caddy.. but Buick and Caddy combined. Here in the US.. Caddy and Audi are so directly competing.. with the HELP of Corvette... that the brands' sales are almost exactly the same. I included the Vette because again.. the Vette really is at this point a Cadillac level vehicle.. with the Camaro now really taking its place in the Chevy Line.

Side Not.. I don't kno if U caught the Jalopnik article on the CT6 Platinum.. It agree with pretty much what I've been saying all along. The CT6 PLATINUM.. is an S-Class competitor.

Quote

And you know what else? I liked it better than the Mercedes-AMG S63. Yeah. Really.

The Mercedes felt like it was trying way too hard. It was like the S-Class started with a basic set of stuff and then the Mercedes people just kept piling on whatever they could find in their house, for no other reason other than because they could. A mood light switcher? Sure! An in-car air spritzer? WHY THE FUCK NOT. Hmm, also 577 HP. Yours for $170,000. Minus those three items, the CT6 is basically the same car. Basically.

Jalopnik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but Audi competes with Cadillac on some models but others there is no match on many of their global models and some here. They do offer much more in the low end more basic segment. If anything they compete more with Buick in price and image. Then the more expensive models come into play at Audi vs Cadillac.

The Vette is the Vette and not a Cadillac and will never be a Cadillac. Just let that go. It has become its own deal but it at least in America will remain a Chevy.

BMW was working the cheap end for a while but now appear to be making smaller cars but keeping the price up. Even in Europe you do not see the cheap models like the hatch 318 they used to make anymore.

Benz still makes the cheap basic cars you see in fleet use and the low end market that never make it here.

The CT6 is a nice car but with compromises. The car was build under duress of GM looking over their shoulder and was compromises just as the ATS and CTS. Also the size is way too close to the CTS and I think that hurts both their sales. I wished the CT6 was just a little larger.

The Germans have stumbled as they have gotten comfortable with their place in the market. Now is the time to take it to them as the door is open just a bit. But it will take time to earn back the image and continued investment.

What many missed on the move to NYC was that this put space between them and GM. No more board members popping into the design studio to offer opinions or snoop that lead to unwanted changes. It also provided space so they could hire their own staff of designers and engineers that only work for them. These are key elements that will help change the image and improve the product.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

Sorry but Audi competes with Cadillac on some models but others there is no match on many of their global models and some here. They do offer much more in the low end more basic segment. If anything they compete more with Buick in price and image. Then the more expensive models come into play at Audi vs Cadillac.

The Vette is the Vette and not a Cadillac and will never be a Cadillac. Just let that go. It has become its own deal but it at least in America will remain a Chevy.

BMW was working the cheap end for a while but now appear to be making smaller cars but keeping the price up. Even in Europe you do not see the cheap models like the hatch 318 they used to make anymore.

Benz still makes the cheap basic cars you see in fleet use and the low end market that never make it here.

The CT6 is a nice car but with compromises. The car was build under duress of GM looking over their shoulder and was compromises just as the ATS and CTS. Also the size is way too close to the CTS and I think that hurts both their sales. I wished the CT6 was just a little larger.

The Germans have stumbled as they have gotten comfortable with their place in the market. Now is the time to take it to them as the door is open just a bit. But it will take time to earn back the image and continued investment.

What many missed on the move to NYC was that this put space between them and GM. No more board members popping into the design studio to offer opinions or snoop that lead to unwanted changes. It also provided space so they could hire their own staff of designers and engineers that only work for them. These are key elements that will help change the image and improve the product.  

What are U sorry for??? We said essentially the same thing about Audi in the US competing with exception to your missing the part where I said "Cadillac Level" in referring to the Vette. I included the Vette because the Vette competes with the R8 and TT IMO. 

As for the CTS and CT6 being close in size.. that's ridiculous.

 

Furthermore the CT6 is only 2 inches smaller than the S-Class in length and wheelbase

 

CT6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Today's Birthdays

    1. gmfannyc
      gmfannyc
      Age: 35
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      This past year has seen General Motors not be shy with scaling back operations in various international markets. The company sold off Opel/Vauxhall to PSA Group, ended sales of Chevrolet vehicles in India, and closed down their operations in South Africa. Now, GM's Korea operations are on the chopping block.
      Last week, GM CEO Mary Barra revealed that company officials were in discussion with minority owners and union officials that could lead to "some rationalization actions or restructuring."
      "We're going to have to take actions going forward to have a viable business," said Barra during a conference call talking about GM's 2017 financial results.
      Sales of GM vehicles in Korea have dropped 20 percent, while manufacturing costs have increased. This has made South Korea a poor place to export vehicles to other markets.
      This week, GM announced that it will shutter the Gunsan plant (one of the four plants operating in South Korea). The plant employs 2,000 out of the 16,000 workers employed at GM Korea. GM said the reason for the closure came down to high labor costs and low output. The plant only operated at 20 percent of its capacity last year according to Reuters. Unsurprisingly, the news angered the South Korean government and workers at the plant. 
      “The government expresses deep regret over GM’s one-sided decision to suspend and shut down” the plant, the finance ministry said in a statement.
      The ministry said it wants to conduct an audit of GM's operations help with the restructuring plan.
      As for workers at Gunsan plant, workers staged a protest yesterday, declaring the move a “death sentence”, and threatening a strike.
      “Let’s protect our right to live on our own,” said Kim Jae-hong, the leader of the workers’ union at the Gunsan branch.
      A GM Korea spokesman said the company "would continue discussions with the union and seek their understanding over the closure plan." Workers though aren't fully buying this.
      “We can’t accept this. The company informed us about the closure plan, not asking for our opinion. It was already the end of the discussions,” Dang Sung-geun, a senior official at the union of GM Korea told Reuters.
      “This is like a death sentence notice before the Lunar New Year holidays.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Bloomberg, Reuters (2)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      This past year has seen General Motors not be shy with scaling back operations in various international markets. The company sold off Opel/Vauxhall to PSA Group, ended sales of Chevrolet vehicles in India, and closed down their operations in South Africa. Now, GM's Korea operations are on the chopping block.
      Last week, GM CEO Mary Barra revealed that company officials were in discussion with minority owners and union officials that could lead to "some rationalization actions or restructuring."
      "We're going to have to take actions going forward to have a viable business," said Barra during a conference call talking about GM's 2017 financial results.
      Sales of GM vehicles in Korea have dropped 20 percent, while manufacturing costs have increased. This has made South Korea a poor place to export vehicles to other markets.
      This week, GM announced that it will shutter the Gunsan plant (one of the four plants operating in South Korea). The plant employs 2,000 out of the 16,000 workers employed at GM Korea. GM said the reason for the closure came down to high labor costs and low output. The plant only operated at 20 percent of its capacity last year according to Reuters. Unsurprisingly, the news angered the South Korean government and workers at the plant. 
      “The government expresses deep regret over GM’s one-sided decision to suspend and shut down” the plant, the finance ministry said in a statement.
      The ministry said it wants to conduct an audit of GM's operations help with the restructuring plan.
      As for workers at Gunsan plant, workers staged a protest yesterday, declaring the move a “death sentence”, and threatening a strike.
      “Let’s protect our right to live on our own,” said Kim Jae-hong, the leader of the workers’ union at the Gunsan branch.
      A GM Korea spokesman said the company "would continue discussions with the union and seek their understanding over the closure plan." Workers though aren't fully buying this.
      “We can’t accept this. The company informed us about the closure plan, not asking for our opinion. It was already the end of the discussions,” Dang Sung-geun, a senior official at the union of GM Korea told Reuters.
      “This is like a death sentence notice before the Lunar New Year holidays.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Bloomberg, Reuters (2)
    • By William Maley
      Subaru will be launching their first plug-in hybrid for the U.S. later this year and plans on offering a full electric vehicle in 2021. But to pull both of these off, Subaru is enlisting various automakers to help.
      Takeshi Tachimori, Subaru's chief technical officer said they are drawing heavily on partnerships with Daihatsu, Hino, Mazda, Suzuki, and Toyota to help with the upcoming plug-in hybrid and EV. The reason for using the expertise of other automakers is Subaru's r&d budget doesn't stretch to include in-house development of these models.
      "We can't engage in a large-scale development," he told Automotive News.
      As more stringent emission regulations come into effect around the world, Subaru is counting on this plan to meet them.
      Tachimori also talked about the upcoming plug-in hybrid. While he wouldn't reveal what model it will be based on, he did say the model would use the powertrain from the Toyota Prius Prime with a twist: the gas engine will be one of Subaru's boxer engines.
      "For our plug-in hybrid to be introduced this year, we have used Toyota's technologies as much as possible," said Tachimori.
      The plug-in hybrid will be sold initially in states that have adopted California's zero-emission vehicle regulations.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Subaru will be launching their first plug-in hybrid for the U.S. later this year and plans on offering a full electric vehicle in 2021. But to pull both of these off, Subaru is enlisting various automakers to help.
      Takeshi Tachimori, Subaru's chief technical officer said they are drawing heavily on partnerships with Daihatsu, Hino, Mazda, Suzuki, and Toyota to help with the upcoming plug-in hybrid and EV. The reason for using the expertise of other automakers is Subaru's r&d budget doesn't stretch to include in-house development of these models.
      "We can't engage in a large-scale development," he told Automotive News.
      As more stringent emission regulations come into effect around the world, Subaru is counting on this plan to meet them.
      Tachimori also talked about the upcoming plug-in hybrid. While he wouldn't reveal what model it will be based on, he did say the model would use the powertrain from the Toyota Prius Prime with a twist: the gas engine will be one of Subaru's boxer engines.
      "For our plug-in hybrid to be introduced this year, we have used Toyota's technologies as much as possible," said Tachimori.
      The plug-in hybrid will be sold initially in states that have adopted California's zero-emission vehicle regulations.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Some interesting news came out of Chicago concerning Volkswagen.
      First up, Autoblog reports that the next-generation Passat will be coming out next year. Volkswagen's North American CEO Hinrich Woebcken revealed this during a roundtable with journalists at the show. Not many details are known about the Passat. It is hinted that it could grow in size and feature styling similar to the new Jetta. One detail that is certain is that Passat will continue to be built at Volkswagen's Chattanooga, TN plant.
      Volkswagen's first electric model for the U.S., the I.D. Crozz is expected to launch in 2020. According to Car and Driver, the Crozz will come in two body styles - the coupe-like crossover we've seen as a concept and a traditional SUV. Volkswagen’s head of design, Klaus Bischoff revealed that the traditional SUV would be first, followed by the coupe-like crossover at a later date.
      Source: Autoblog, Car and Driver

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×