Anthony Fongaro

Quick Drive: Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4

How was the new turbo 4?  Did it have decent torque?  Did the transmission work well with it?  Any NVH issues?

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Of course, GM could buy the old Yugo plant and start building them and you would claim everybody loves their Yugo and never has issues.  That said, my brother loves his ATS, as do I, but neither of us pretends it is a reliability champion. 

No... No.. But even I didn't celebrate its purchase of Daewoo until American influence became apart of their engineering. So U are wrong.. Again 

Just now, Cmicasa the Great said:

No... No.. But even I didn't celebrate its purchase of Daewoo until American influence became apart of their engineering. So U are wrong.. Again 

If you could even remotely like Daewoo at any point.......

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

LOL!

THAT is stuff I do!

Love them youtube videos!

Eat your heart out @Cmicasa the Great

Others do my dirty work for me!

Ignore me all you want...I aint going away big boy!

22 minutes ago, Stew said:

Dont worry about him Stew....

He means well...

giphy.gif

About the Guilia

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

LOL!

THAT is stuff I do!

Love them youtube videos!

Eat your heart out @Cmicasa the Great

Others do my dirty work for me!

Ignore me all you want...I aint going away big boy!

Dont worry about him Stew....

He means well...

giphy.gif

About the Guilia

giphy.gif

Hahaha  It's all good. 

32 minutes ago, Stew said:

Incredibly off topic, but when they first came out, the Daewoos looked great on paper.  The transverse inline-6 in the Leganza wasn't a MPG queen, but who cared, gas was 89 cents a gallon.  The engine was one of the best things about that car because it was Lexus smooth and the interiors could fool you into thinking they were a Lexus from the pictures.  Not too bad for a car that was $4,000 cheaper than an equivalent Accord or $5,000 less than a Camry. 

2002_daewoo_leganza_sedan_cdx_i_oem_2_500.jpg

Lexus ES300 98 Champ 74k 032.jpg

They had their reliability issues, but what really killed them was their horrendous sales process. They tried to use a combination of college kids doing multi-level marketing and buy-here-pay-here lots, while service was to be taken care of at K-Mart (if memory serves on that last point). Not confidence inspiring.

Tyinging this to Alfa.  We have a single Alfa-Romeo dealer here in Pittsburgh at an Automotive Group I've never even heard of.  From the architecture in the pictures, they look like they're an old Chrysler-Plymouth Dealer who now covers Chrysler-Dodge-Ram-Jeep-Fiat-Alfa Romeo.  When Lexus came to this country, they had purpose built showrooms, so this shoving a couple cars in the back corner of an ex-Plymouth showroom doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me.  

In this particular case, the dealership is also 25 miles outside of the city and the next closest one is 70 miles away in Ohio.. so they better have a Tesla like pickup/drop-off service for people who are coming from BMW or Benz and used to having a dealership near downtown.  

Edit to add:  You literally have to drive past BMW (twice), Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover, Cadillac, Lexus (up to twice), Lincoln, Volvo, Audi, and possibly even Maserati just to get to the only Alfa dealership here.

Vehicle issues aside, the dealership network could be the thing that makes or breaks Alfa in the US.  It's largely what killed Daewoo. 

• Upvote 1

Nobody buys Alfa Romeos because they are reliable appliances...

People buy Alfa Romeos to satisfy their lust for sin!

If we could personify automobiles and cars were women, we would date a Camaro for a few years and marry a very faithful Corolla.

Alfa Romeos are strippers and whores we booze around with in Las Vegas!

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Incredibly off topic, but when they first came out, the Daewoos looked great on paper.  The transverse inline-6 in the Leganza wasn't a MPG queen, but who cared, gas was 89 cents a gallon.  The engine was one of the best things about that car because it was Lexus smooth and the interiors could fool you into thinking they were a Lexus from the pictures.  Not too bad for a car that was $4,000 cheaper than an equivalent Accord or $5,000 less than a Camry. 

2002_daewoo_leganza_sedan_cdx_i_oem_2_500.jpg

Lexus ES300 98 Champ 74k 032.jpg

They had their reliability issues, but what really killed them was their horrendous sales process. They tried to use a combination of college kids doing multi-level marketing and buy-here-pay-here lots, while service was to be taken care of at K-Mart (if memory serves on that last point). Not confidence inspiring.

Tyinging this to Alfa.  We have a single Alfa-Romeo dealer here in Pittsburgh at an Automotive Group I've never even heard of.  From the architecture in the pictures, they look like they're an old Chrysler-Plymouth Dealer who now covers Chrysler-Dodge-Ram-Jeep-Fiat-Alfa Romeo.  When Lexus came to this country, they had purpose built showrooms, so this shoving a couple cars in the back corner of an ex-Plymouth showroom doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me.  

In this particular case, the dealership is also 25 miles outside of the city and the next closest one is 70 miles away in Ohio.. so they better have a Tesla like pickup/drop-off service for people who are coming from BMW or Benz and used to having a dealership near downtown.

Vehicle issues aside, the dealership network could be the thing that makes or breaks Alfa in the US.  It's largely what killed Daewoo. 

Oh, I certainly agree there.   That has been a major issue for Fiat  as well, but they seem to expanding there some.  Yeah, I remember that weird marketing and sales practices now that you mention it.  Their cars weren't exactly decent looking either (exterior).  I feel this hurts cadillac some as well.  They do have some decent dealerships that are specific to them, but then you have ones like our local dealer who treats you like just some other Chevy customer, and their loaners are even last gen Impalas.  Now, the dealership my brother bought his car from in Indiana is VERY nice, but they are a high end dealer.  Salesman drove the car down and even went over the features in a mall parking lot. 

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Nobody buys Alfa Romeos because they are reliable appliances...

People buy Alfa Romeos to satisfy their lust for sin!

If we could personify automobiles and cars were women, we would date a Camaro for a few years and marry a very faithful Corolla.

Okay, I love this analogy!

Cadillac has a very inconsistent dealership network, that is certainly true.  I've seen a Cadillac / Rolls dealer that would blow you away, yet others are how you described... more interested in volume sales of Equinoxes......

18 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

So can I get a wife dressed this way but with all the Asian faithfulness? ;) 

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Cadillac has a very inconsistent dealership network, that is certainly true.  I've seen a Cadillac / Rolls dealer that would blow you away, yet others are how you described... more interested in volume sales of Equinoxes......

Totally agree with this! :thumbsup:

My cadillac dealership is great, the people go out of their way and over all I have been happy with 95% of everything.

Yet this dealership is in a building that used to be a Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Hummer dealership. The old signage is still all over and the place has that old musty smell. 

Time for a major remodel for the 21st Century!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

hopefully they will start that dealership overhaul sooner rather than later.  Especially once you reach a certain price point the expectations for he dealership and service goes way up.  It has to be all inclusive too, it can't just look the part, it has to be the part.  One of y brother's issue with his Audi was actually the dealership.   It was beautiful, awesome comfy showroom with wood floors and cushy offices, but the techs were awful.  It hink half the problems he had stemmed from their incompetence. 

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

hopefully they will start that dealership overhaul sooner rather than later.  Especially once you reach a certain price point the expectations for he dealership and service goes way up.  It has to be all inclusive too, it can't just look the part, it has to be the part.  One of y brother's issue with his Audi was actually the dealership.   It was beautiful, awesome comfy showroom with wood floors and cushy offices, but the techs were awful.  It hink half the problems he had stemmed from their incompetence. 

With the overhaul of the dealers needs to also be a required update of training for the mechanics and specialization by each one. Auto's today are very complex and need the specialty training to make sure they resolve issues on the first time for the majority of the cases, like 99.9% of the time.

Just now, Stew said:

That was my experience years ago with the local VW dealer. A beautiful Apple Store of a place, modern, airy.  Techs that couldn't fix worth a damn and management that couldn't care less about it.  And they were the Phaeton certified dealership for the area.... I pity the Phaeton owners who took their cars there. 

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

With the overhaul of the dealers needs to also be a required update of training for the mechanics and specialization by each one. Auto's today are very complex and need the specialty training to make sure they resolve issues on the first time for the majority of the cases, like 99.9% of the time.

I agree 100%  Just about any new car is going to go to the dealership at some point for warranty or recall work and if the service department does not instill trust during this or regular maintenance it can certainly hurt them. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That was my experience years ago with the local VW dealer. A beautiful Apple Store of a place, modern, airy.  Techs that couldn't fix worth a damn and management that couldn't care less about it.  And they were the Phaeton certified dealership for the area.... I pity the Phaeton owners who took their cars there. 

Oh yes, I can imagine.  They need to not only talk the talk, but walk the walk. 

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

So can I get a wife dressed this way but with all the Asian faithfulness? ;) 

maxresdefault.jpg

I dont know how you feel about Predator face, but for me it works big time on this model!

And just look at the lines of the rest of the car...sexiful!

OKAY!

Back to Alfa Romeo....

Edited by oldshurst442

27 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know how you feel about Predator face, but for me it works big time on this model!

And just look at the lines of the rest of the car...sexiful!

OKAY!

Back to Alfa Romeo....

PASS, Hate the Predator look. But I raise you one sexy Silver Frost CTS-V Coupe! 

2013-cadillac-cts-v-coupe-silver-frost-edition-photo-501618-s-1280x782.jpg

This is so superior to Alfa! :metal: 

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

gallery_51_1147_107164.jpg

gallery_51_1147_113601.jpg

GM needs to pull their heads out of their asses and build this already! Best looking Buick since the 80s GNX!

27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

gallery_51_1147_107164.jpg

gallery_51_1147_113601.jpg

18 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

GM needs to pull their heads out of their asses and build this already! Best looking Buick since the 80s GNX!

Agree, this would make an awesome GNX with the TTV6.

• Upvote 1

They should really build that, but if it ever sees production, it is petty well a guarantee it would be a 4 door "coupe."

On 22/03/2017 at 10:49 AM, Stew said:

How was the new turbo 4?  Did it have decent torque?  Did the transmission work well with it?  Any NVH issues?

It pulled very hard and had a lot of torque. The transmission felt like your standard 8-speed and initially no NVH issues to report.

1 hour ago, Anthony Fongaro said:

It pulled very hard and had a lot of torque. The transmission felt like your standard 8-speed and initially no NVH issues to report.

Initially?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stew said:

They should really build that, but if it ever sees production, it is petty well a guarantee it would be a 4 door "coupe."

Nothing wrong with a 4 Door GNX! :metal: 

2 hours ago, Anthony Fongaro said:

Expand please on the Initially comment? 

Inquiring minds want to know! :P

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 163 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      FCA Reports May 2019 U.S. Sales

Ram brand achieves 12th consecutive monthly record as May sales rise 29 percent     Jeep® Grand Cherokee notches best May ever as sales rise 18 percent Dodge Charger reports highest May in six years as sales reach 9,296 vehicles June 3, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC achieved three records in May, led by the Ram brand which notched its 12th consecutive monthly sales record as demand for both light-duty and heavy-duty pickup trucks remained strong. 

It was the best May ever for the Jeep® Grand Cherokee and the highest level of May sales for the Dodge Charger in six years. Overall, total sales rose 2 percent to 218,702 vehicles. Fleet represented 31 percent of total sales during the month. On a year-to-date basis, fleet accounted for 22 percent of sales.

"On a year-over-year basis we have increased our average transaction prices by more than $3,000 a vehicle and still managed some notable sales increases," said Reid Bigland, U.S. Head of Sales. “In its first full month on sale, our all new Jeep Gladiator pickup truck delivered more than 2,500 vehicle sales, our Ram pickup truck sales soared 33 percent and the Jeep Grand Cherokee delivered its best May sales ever.” 

See the attached table for the breakdown of brand and nameplate sales.     

Model

Month Sales

Vol %

CYTD Sales

Vol %

Curr  Yr             Pr Yr             Change

Curr  Yr             Pr Yr          Change

Compass Patriot Wrangler Gladiator Cherokee

Grand  Cherokee

Renegade

JEEP BRAND

14,534                17,327                  -16%

0                        63                   -100%

24,530               25,102                   -2%

2,584                     0                       New

17,283                23,789                  -27%

25,394                21,494                  18%

6,001                  9,512                 -37%

90,326           97,287              -7%

64,537                72,368              -11%

12                      502                -98%

96,930               110,382             -12%

3,021                     0                   New

81,384               91,286             -11%

103,612              91,589               13%

29,959                41,906              -29%

379,455           408,033            -7%

Ram  P/U ProMaster Van ProMaster City

RAM BRAND

62,250                46,781                  33%

3,651                  4,092                 -11%

1,216                  1,011                  20%

67,117           51,884              29%

231,382             189,997             22%

20,775                13,366              55%

5,784                  5,249              10%

257,941           208,612           24%

Town & Country

Pacifica

CHRYSLER BRAND

6                        88                    -93%

2,665                  3,484                 -24%

0                         1                     -100%

8,232                11,151                -26%

10,903            14,724               -26%

35                      842                -96%

12,953               20,389             -36%

3                         5                  -40%

38,490               53,910             -29%

51,481          75,146            -31%

Dart Avenger Charger Challenger Viper Journey Caravan Durango

DODGE  BRAND

0                        29                   -100%

1                         0                     100%

9,296                  6,869                  35%

5,748                  7,005                 -18%

0                         3                     -100%

7,642                10,966                 -30%

16,809                15,487                   9%

8,263                  6,222                  33%

47,759              46,581               3%

10                      307                -97%

1                         2                  -50%

36,012               34,766                4%

23,601                30,545              -23%

2                        14                 -86%

38,727                41,023               -6%

59,732               70,511             -15%

31,453               27,378              15%

189,538           204,546            -7%

500L

500X Spider

FIAT BRAND

335                     264                    27%

69                      184                   -63%

272                     568                   -52%

349                     425                   -18%

1,025                1,441             -29%

1,386                 1,908              -27%

309                     747                -59%

1,284                 2,711              -53%

1,191                 1,493              -20%

4,170                6,859             -39%

Giulia Alfa 4C Stelvio

ALFA ROMEO

797                   1,175                 -32%

14                      19                    -26%

761                   1,183                 -36%

1,572                2,377             -34%

3,578                  5,383              -34%

82                      95                 -14%

3,782                  4,538              -17%

7,442             10,016            -26%

FCA US LLC

218,702           214,294                2%

890,027           913,212            -3%

• By Drew Dowdell
      FCA US Reports April 2019 Sales; Quarterly Reporting of Sales to Start in Q3

Jeep® Grand Cherokee and Jeep Compass post new April sales records Ram pickup notches best April ever as sales rise 25 percent Overall Ram brand sales reach new high     FCA US to report sales quarterly starting Oct. 1 May 1, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC notched four U.S. sales records for April, highlighting consumer demand for the company’s brands despite continued softness within the industry.

FCA sold 172,900 vehicles in the month compared to 184,149 vehicles for the same period a year earlier. Retail sales accounted for 129,382 vehicles and fleet accounted for 25 percent of total sales. On a year-to-date basis, fleet accounted for 27 percent of total sales.

The Jeep® Compass and Jeep Grand Cherokee both reported April records as sales rose 10 percent and 23 percent, respectively. This was the second consecutive month Grand Cherokee set a record monthly high.  

The Ram brand achieved its fourth consecutive month of record sales for the year, as April sales rose 25 percent to 53,811 vehicles. Ram pickup sales also had their second consecutive month of record sales with 49,106 vehicles sold.

"April marks the start of the spring selling season and we anticipate strong consumer spending as we move through May,” U.S Head of Sales Reid Bigland said. "The industry may be shaking off the first-quarter sluggishness, but shoppers are coming into showrooms and buying. We sold more than 300 Jeep Gladiators, which are now starting to arrive in showrooms across the country, and we expect our Gladiator count to continue to rise, reflecting both ongoing demand and the fulfillment of the 4,190 orders taken in early April for the 2020 Gladiator Launch Edition."   

• By Drew Dowdell
      FCA is paying Tesla hundreds of millions of dollar to pool their vehicles with Tesla to avoid EU fines over emissions. Tesla put out an invitation to other automakers to use its fleet to lower their emissions totals and FCA took them up on it.  Neither company released financial specifics of the deal, but it is estimated by the Financial Times to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.  
      Similar to California which allows manufactures with a surplus of ZEV credits to sell them to manufacturers who need them, the EU Commission allows manufacturers to pool together their fleets to avoid paying fines. Tesla makes significant money selling these credits in the US, earning $103.4m in 2018 and $279.7m in 2017. Once set up, the pool in Europe is good for several years.
      Vehicles in 2018 are allowed an average CO2 emission of 120.5g per kilometer. That figure will drop to 95g per kilometer next year.  FCA's average for 2018 was 123g per kilometer, one of the largest off the mark of the 13 major manufacturers. FCA is seen to have fallen to near the back of the pack when in comes to reigning in CO2 emissions.
      FCA was forecast to be facing fines exceeding €2 billion ($2.25 billion) without pooling with Tesla. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      FCA is paying Tesla hundreds of millions of dollar to pool their vehicles with Tesla to avoid EU fines over emissions. Tesla put out an invitation to other automakers to use its fleet to lower their emissions totals and FCA took them up on it.  Neither company released financial specifics of the deal, but it is estimated by the Financial Times to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.  
      Similar to California which allows manufactures with a surplus of ZEV credits to sell them to manufacturers who need them, the EU Commission allows manufacturers to pool together their fleets to avoid paying fines. Tesla makes significant money selling these credits in the US, earning $103.4m in 2018 and $279.7m in 2017. Once set up, the pool in Europe is good for several years.
      Vehicles in 2018 are allowed an average CO2 emission of 120.5g per kilometer. That figure will drop to 95g per kilometer next year.  FCA's average for 2018 was 123g per kilometer, one of the largest off the mark of the 13 major manufacturers. FCA is seen to have fallen to near the back of the pack when in comes to reigning in CO2 emissions.
      FCA was forecast to be facing fines exceeding €2 billion ($2.25 billion) without pooling with Tesla. 

• By Drew Dowdell
      FCA US Reports March 2019 Sales

Ram pickup reports new March record as sales increase 9 percent to 45,187 sold Jeep® Grand Cherokee notches best March ever as sales rise 26 percent to 24,655 vehicles sold Ram brand sets new March record as sales jump 15 percent to 51,822 sold April 2, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC reported a new March record for the Ram brand as sales jumped 15 percent, underscoring the success the company has found in its two-pronged strategy of selling both the Ram 1500 and Ram Classic.

The performance of the Ram brand, combined with a new March record for Jeep® Grand Cherokee, countered general softness within the industry. FCA sold 200,307 vehicles in the month.

"The industry had a tough first quarter but with spring finally starting to show its face and continued strong economic indicators, such as a boost in housing sales, lower lending rates and a strong labor market, we are confident that new vehicle sales demand will strengthen going forward," Reid Bigland, Head of U.S. Sales, said. "Meanwhile, our Ram brand sales and average transaction prices continue to be strong and our much anticipated, game-changing Jeep Gladiator pickup is on track for its in-market debut this month."

Method of Determining FCA US LLC’s Monthly Sales. FCA US’s reported vehicle sales represent unit sales of vehicles to retail customers, deliveries of vehicles to fleet customers and to others such as FCA US’s employees and retirees as well as vehicles used for marketing. Most of these reported sales reflect retail sales made by dealers out of their own inventory of vehicles previously purchased by them from FCA US. Reported vehicle units sales do not correspond to FCA US’s reported revenues, which are based on FCA US’s sale and delivery of vehicles, and typically recognized upon shipment to the dealer or end customer. As announced on July 26, 2016, FCA US has modified its methodology for monthly sales reporting as follows:  Sales to retail customers by dealers in the U.S. are derived from the New Vehicle Delivery Report (“NVDR”) system and are determined as the sum of (A) all sales recorded by dealers during the month net of all unwound transactions recorded to the end of that month (whether the original sale was recorded in the current month or any prior month); plus (B) all sales of vehicles during that month attributable to past unwinds that had previously been reversed in determining monthly sales (in the current or prior months).  Fleet sales are recorded upon the shipment of the vehicle by FCA US to the customer or end user.  Other retail sales are recorded either (A) when the sale is recorded in the NVDR system (for sales by dealers in Puerto Rico and limited sales made through distributors that submit NVDRs in the same manner as for sales by U.S. dealers) or (B) upon receipt of a similar delivery notification (for vehicles for which NVDRs are not entered such as vehicles for FCA employees). FCA US LLC Sales Summary March 2019
      Model

Month Sales
      Vol %
      Change
      CYTD Sales
      Curr Yr             Pr Yr
      Vol %
      Change
      Curr Yr
      Pr Yr
      Compass

-14%