Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

June Car Spotter Thread

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Saw a dusty '73 Olds Hurst/Olds Cutlass (white, gold stripe, padded top), parked baking in the vile Arizona sun...looked like it hadn't moved in a long time. 

Don't know about you but I am seeing absolutely zero vintage American muscle on the road here in Ohio...lots of exotics and other stuff...but zero old American muscle.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Don't know about you but I am seeing absolutely zero vintage American muscle on the road here in Ohio...lots of exotics and other stuff...but zero old American muscle.

I always see some in and around Phoenix esp. in the winter...people don't drive them here in the summer much...will be interesting to see what I see in the Cleveland area this summer...finally leaving for there this weekend....hitting the road tomorrow in the new Jeep w/ my sister and the dogs..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Always see a few in and around Phoenix esp. in the winter...people don't drive them here in the summer much...will be interesting to see what I see in the Cleveland area this summer...finally leaving for there this weekend....hitting the road tomorrow in the new Jeep w/ my sister and the dogs..

Enjoy the trip!  A bit jealous of your new(er) Jeep....they are a very sharp ride...and I think of you whenever I see one on the road.

The funny thing is since I got mine I see them everywhere..there are a lot of them around Phoenix, and it seems at least 60% are black..

There are so few colors with cars any more...i talked to a salesman who said customers really want it that way.

Works out very well for my older son, who drives a Silver Acura TL...and loves to speed...there are a blue billion silver Acura sedans on the road here in central Ohio...it blends in really freaking well...even at triple digit speeds...

One Jeep color scheme I really like is the dark brown w/ brown interior (kind of a baseball glove color).  The day I bought my Jeep, there was a GC Summit in the showroom in brown on brown..parked next to a purple Hellcat Challenger and a white w/ red & black interior Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker.....

13 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

One Jeep color scheme I really like is the dark brown w/ brown interior (kind of a baseball glove color).  The day I bought my Jeep, there was a GC Summit in the showroom in brown on brown..parked next to a purple Hellcat Challenger and a white w/ red & black interior Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker.....

The Challenger is really growing on me...

50 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Saw a dusty '73 Olds Hurst/Olds Cutlass (white, gold stripe, padded top), parked baking in the vile Arizona sun...looked like it hadn't moved in a long time. 

Id buy it and ship it back to Montreal!

I bet you though the 455 is looooong gone though!

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

Id buy it and ship it back to Montreal!

I bet you though the 455 is looooong gone though!

Couldn't tell, definitely looked like it had an engine--wasn't sitting high in the front..strange--in a carport in a residential area in Central Phoenix...hadn't noticed it before, but off a street I used to drive every day. 

23 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Couldn't tell, definitely looked like it had an engine--wasn't sitting high in the front..strange--in a carport in a residential area in Central Phoenix...hadn't noticed it before, but off a street I used to drive every day. 

cool!

Your story has piqued my curiosity. Now Im wondering if it truly has its original engine, how intact it is and inwhat  condition?

I like these! I believe that the Colonnade cars (the1st years not the late 70s ones) are underrated and underappreciated in terms of power (yes they were choked from the smog regs but like in the Olds' case (and the Grand Am) , the big block was still there!) and in style!

The Monte Carlo  and the Grand Am looked very classy and sporty along with that Cutlass 442/Hurst!

24d8624ad9412797ce409a3ae40d1c14.jpg

3cae72ab7e82c54deba67aa1a44334b6.jpg

4453576636_e70f62f123.jpg

Speaking of the Challenger...

In 392 Scatpack or Hellcat trims, these have lessened my void in my heart for an Olds 442 that is no longer!

I keep on saying that my next car will be a Tesla Model 3, but it might not be...it might very well be a Challenger before it goes away!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I like the Colonnade cars, esp. the '73s with the small rear bumpers.  The Grand Am, Grand Prix, Laguna, and Gran Sport in particular...

Agreed...!

Went to my Nephews birthday party on Saturday. Stopped at the local target to pick up some last minute items I was asked to get before getting to the park.

I pulled in and as I always do, I park far away to keep door dings at bay. In a couple pictures you can see my Escalade in the background.

Not sure of the Year @balthazar I leave that to our might good of age recognition. But this size truck is what is needed for the inner city folks. Talk about a lovely AWD Scout truck.

20170603_154315.jpg

20170603_154334.jpg

20170603_154349.jpg

20170603_154426.jpg

20170603_154441.jpg

20170603_154406.jpg

• Agree 3

That Scout is adorable.
Book says it is visually indistinguishable from '61 thru '64; it's one of those years.
Wikipedia says it came out in "1960", but I rate the Standard Catalog of American Light Duty Trucks higher. Non-automotive sites frequently get confused with the calendar vs. model year thing.

Some specs: weight: 2800 lbs, 4-cyl, 152 CI, 93 HP/135 TRQ.
IH didn't break down production by model, but built 142K total IH's in the '61 calendar year.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I love that Era of Scout...

Not sure what kind my dad had, but i think he said it had the ~4ishL v8... Green outside... like a normal 60's/70's vehicle. hehe

Saw a really sharp red w/ white stripes '71 Chevelle SS for sale today.   Also saw a new Lexus RX in the Home Depot parking lot---ordinary luxo midsize CUV with weird styling, but oh that root beer brown paint...would love to have my Jeep in that exact color..(Jeep now has two browns for GCs, but nothing like that). 

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

1970 F-100, yellow n' white, 4x4, real clean driver.
1948-50 Ford F-1, silver, shop truck, restored.

Lucky guy....I am seeing almost zero vintage vehicles on the road around here.  Saw a clean hugger orange 69 RS SS 69 Camaro yesterday. Was about the seventh vintage Muscle car I have seen since January.

I have seen more Ferrari products on the road than older American cars.

7 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Saw a really sharp red w/ white stripes '71 Chevelle SS for sale today.   Also saw a new Lexus RX in the Home Depot parking lot---ordinary luxo midsize CUV with weird styling, but oh that root beer brown paint...would love to have my Jeep in that exact color..(Jeep now has two browns for GCs, but nothing like that). 

That is a nice Brown.

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Was wandering a Ford dealer's lot with my son. Looked over a row of '17 F-150s and all I can say is wow. OEMs have really made the ol pick up a thing of lust.
Crew cab F-150 King Ranch 4x4, fully loaded, just a beautiful machine. $68K on the sticker tho... :(

Neighbors across the street bought a King Ranch F150.  Ford Built just an awesome truck with this one.

I didn't spot this in person, but I did spot the ad.

A very rare 1957 Packard Clipper Wagon with a factory supercharger

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/6117228325.html

Rare 1957 vintage Packard Clipper Station Wagon, one of 869 produced in 1957. This is a 2 owner car originally ordered and purchased in Texas in the Llano area. The original owner specified on order that he was to pick his car personally at the train depot in Corsicana Texas.
Powered by the Mcculloch Supercharged Studebaker 275 hp 289 engine, 4.27 geared positrac rear differential, 3 speed manual transmission with optional overdrive, Tiara Gold and Artic White paint exterior, black and silver interior.

In order to produce an engine of appropriate power for a Packard, a McCulloch-supercharged version of Studebaker's 289 ci V8 was used, giving 275 bhp (205 kW), equivalent to the Packard engines in use the year before (and likewise used in the Studebaker Golden Hawk). Since the Studebaker-bodied cars were quite a bit lighter than the previous year's Packards, the 1957 Packard range actually had quite exceptional performance for the time.

The car is complete, clean and will run and has been kept in dry storage. It needs complete restoration.
Clear title.
price is $12500 cash / counter offers only considered in person with cash

00i0i_7ts9ANkHkTg_600x450.jpg

00h0h_7lncrQ4UC3f_600x450.jpg

01313_dGJdoHJpbnd_600x450.jpg00I0I_9R6WWFZfDjG_600x450.jpg00q0q_eeGeBHZYrhw_600x450.jpg

• Agree 2

Today in NE Ohio.    I went to the BMV, got my Ohio driver's license, then to the title office to transfer my AZ title, then back to the BMV to get my registration and plates, then to Spitzer Chrysler Dodge Ram Jeep to get a license plate bracket installed...all before my workday began..woo hoo..I feel like a local now... ;)

Also called State Farm to switch my AZ policy to an OH policy--premiums for 6 months are 40% of what they were in the Valley of Dirt.

IMG_2387.JPG

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Today in NE Ohio.    I went to the BMV, got my Ohio driver's license, then to the title office to transfer my AZ title, then back to the BMV to get my registration and plates, then to Spitzer Chrysler Dodge Ram Jeep to get a license plate bracket installed...all before my workday began..woo hoo..I feel like a local now... ;)

IMG_2387.JPG

Very cool, I will have to say, I have come to the decision that front license plates really offer no benefit. Waste of money, takes away from the look of the auto and overall just should not be use on any auto. After all, they could just RFID each car license.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Very cool, I will have to say, I have come to the decision that front license plates really offer no benefit. Waste of money, takes away from the look of the auto and overall just should not be use on any auto. After all, they could just RFID each car license.

I'm no fan of front plates either--they look cleaner without one.  But I do know the Ohio Highway Patrol and various local jurisdictions are sticklers about the front plates.  Oddly, for a car originally from So Cal (Huntington Beach), my Jeep didn't have a front bracket.

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'm no fan of front plates either--they look cleaner without one.  But I do know the Ohio Highway Patrol and various local jurisdictions are sticklers about the front plates.  Oddly, for a car originally from So Cal (Huntington Beach), my Jeep didn't have a front bracket.

Yes, I have noticed that while California issues both front and back plates, it seems 50/50 if people put the front plate on. Then you have those states that do not require front plates at all. Wish one standard for all states was instituted. I see no reason to not have a Rear only RFID license plate that allows the cops to scan your plate and as such would remove the need for the front plate.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Yes, I have noticed that while California issues both front and back plates, it seems 50/50 if people put the front plate on. Then you have those states that do not require front plates at all. Wish one standard for all states was instituted. I see no reason to not have a Rear only RFID license plate that allows the cops to scan your plate and as such would remove the need for the front plate.

Arizona doesn't require a plate, so the Jeep dealer in Phoenix didn't add one.   Funny thing is my sister's Trax came from a Phoenix Chevy dealer, and they had added a front bracket w/ a dealer logo plate. 

8 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Arizona doesn't require a plate, so the Jeep dealer in Phoenix didn't add one.   Funny thing is my sister's Trax came from a Phoenix Chevy dealer, and they had added a front bracket w/ a dealer logo plate. 

Gotta get all the free advertising they can get. LOL :P 

Just now, dfelt said:

Gotta get all the free advertising they can get. LOL :P 

Oh yeah..and the plate frame on the rear.  The red on the frame has faded to pink over the last 18 months in the vile AZ sun..

On my Jeep, I didn't put the rear chrome metal plate from the AZ Jeep dealer on w/ the Ohio plate--- bottom of it covered over the registration stickers--completely! (AZ puts it's stickers in the top right, Ohio bottom left and bottom right). 

Oh yeah..and the plate frame on the rear.  The red on the frame has faded to pink over the last 18 months in the vile AZ sun..

On my Jeep, I didn't put the rear chrome metal plate from the AZ Jeep dealer on w/ the Ohio plate--- bottom of it covered over the registration stickers--completely! (AZ puts it's stickers in the top right, Ohio bottom left and bottom right). 

Again, just another reason the feds should standardize licensing across the country. No need for all the stupid various versions. I really hate the east coast where they put a license plate on, plus all the various stickers on your windshield, back of the car on your paint job, etc. Just stupid the way some of the states do it.

In this regards, state sovereignty is not needed when a single standard would be best for the country. Yes I know states would bitch about not being able to set their own standard.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Again, just another reason the feds should standardize licensing across the country. No need for all the stupid various versions. I really hate the east coast where they put a license plate on, plus all the various stickers on your windshield, back of the car on your paint job, etc. Just stupid the way some of the states do it.

In this regards, state sovereignty is not needed when a single standard would be best for the country. Yes I know states would bitch about not being able to set their own standard.

I also had to put a county number sticker on the front and back plate.  IIRC Oregon or Washington has something similar to that..I recall noticing stickers on the front plate when I was up there a few years back..

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I also had to put a county number sticker on the front and back plate.  IIRC Oregon or Washington has something similar to that..I recall noticing stickers on the front plate when I was up there a few years back..

Washington only has the stickers in the upper right corner of the back license plate now.

WA-License.jpg

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Also called State Farm to switch my AZ policy to an OH policy--premiums for 6 months are 40% of what they were in the Valley of Dirt.

IMG_2387.JPG

Ohio has cheap insurance affordable housing, and lots of overcast days, there are trade offs.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Washington only has the stickers in the upper right corner of the back license plate now.

WA-License.jpg

Isn't that special....!

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

People complain about everything even when it is for the better.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

My new truck tires were delivered today! 31.00R51's!

DSC04941.JPG

That is some serious weight, for a deep pit monster dump truck?

Saw a clean '68-69 Skylark 2dr sedan in silver blue w/ a white top, Buick road wheels on I-77 in Canton, OH.      in a yard off of I-77 near Strasburg, OH I saw what appeared to be a '68 Satellite or Belvedere 4dr or wagon converted into an El Camino  type thingy...was matte black..

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Saw a sharp gold-beige mid 60s Corvette convertible being cleaned in a driveway.. 

Saw a sharp 65 Corvette Coupe in red westbound on stringtown road...

Also saw a pristine dark blue mid eighties Eldorado.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:58 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I've never seen one of these Promasters done up as a full zoot luxury conversion before. 

IMG_20170622_205310.jpg

Interesting...

On 6/15/2017 at 4:06 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

Ohio has cheap insurance affordable housing, and lots of overcast days, there are trade offs.

Isn't that special....!

People complain about everything even when it is for the better.

insurance... mine dropped ~33% from IL...

• Agree 1