Chrysler News: Chrysler Drops Plug-In From Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid In Ads

There is a huge difference between hybrid and plug-in hybrid models. So it seems interesting that Chrysler will be dropping the plug-in part of the Pacifica Plug-In hybrid in their marketing for almost all of the U.S.

Bloomberg reports that Chrysler will advertise the Pacifica PHEV as the Pacifica Hybrid for the majority of the country. The reason is that most Americans see 'plug-in' and think limited range. For the record, a plug-in hybrid can run on electric power alone for a time. Once the battery is depleted, the gas engine will kick on to provide propulsion and charge the battery.

There is one exception to this plan, California. Tim Kuniskis, head of FCA's passenger-car brands in the U.S. tells Bloomberg buyers in the state understands what a plug-in hybrid vehicle is.

“People here see it as a benefit and understand that that’s worth more,” said Kuniskis.

Jessica Caldwell, an analyst with Edmunds echo's Kuniskis' statement, saying Californians under the value of plug-in hybrids. It doesn't hurt that plug-in hybrids qualify for government incentives.

“In California, it’s not seen as something that’s negative. It’s seen as like ‘that’s cool, that’s progressive,’” said Caldwell.

In due course, Chrysler will be marketing the Pacifica PHEV as plug-in hybrid in the rest of the U.S. once more consumers become educated on what plug-in hybrid is and isn't.

Source: Bloomberg

View full article

What is this fetish some of you folk continue to talk about people forgetting to plug in their cars???!!!

We are plugging in so much shyte IN 2017...more than anytime in history...more than in 1987 and more than in 1997 for that matter...

smart phones, lap tops, tablets, DRONES, Spheros and BB8s, Nintendo  Wii and Wii  U game controllers...(for people who bought aftermarket chargers because were fed up of feeding the controllers batteries every 2 days...)

Hell...even grass trimmers and lawn mowers..., cordless drills, you name it...

In 1987, the only thing we plugged in to charge was a cordless phoquing land line phone...

Its part of today's everyday life things to do...

NO! PEOPLE WONT FORGET TO PLUG IN THEIR CARS TO CHARGE!!!!

Get off that mind set!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Still wondering how well this will do as a minivan model....

I just don't see many buying these.....most families can barely remember to change the oil, so plugging in could be interesting....

I'll be able to answer that soon as I will be getting one in for review.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Still wondering how well this will do as a minivan model....

I just don't see many buying these.....most families can barely remember to change the oil, so plugging in could be interesting....

Two side to this, those that have bought plugin hybrids know what they are getting into and having no problem plugging them in. The issue is with loaner programs. BMW's loaner program in Seattle with i3's is terrible as the people using them do not park them into the designated spaces around the city and seem to never plug them in. This makes me think not only lazy but of the attitude that someone else will plug it in. As such, most the the i3 have been dead when another person goes to use it and so BMW now has a group of people driving around in i3 service auto's making sure the fleet is charged and ready for use.

This is where Nissan's presentation on wireless charging would make sense. Just pull the auto back into it's designated parking place that has the charger in the ground and will wirelessly charge the auto backup. Wonder how long before BMW does this as a service fleet is expensive to have on a car sharing program.

• Agree 1

i've been tracking the response to the Pachy on the pacfica forums, and there has been a lot of interest in the Pacifica hybrid.  The frustration right now is part of the electrics of the drive system are problematic so very very few actually hit market and Chrysler stopped sale and has a recall.  Its still fuzzy on when the availability for the 2018's will happen.

So,

there is real interest in the Pacfica hybrid

and its got bugs out of the gate that Chrysler is trying to address as fast as they can in addition to the various bugs and problems with the regular gas models.

The ones who have the PacHy absolutely loved it when they could use it and specifically the hybrid availability was what drew them in (they may have otherwise bought a Honda etc.)

if i thought i could afford it, and was brazen enough to deal with quality issues I would absoutely consider one to replace our T&C soon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, William Maley said:

I'll be able to answer that soon as I will be getting one in for review.

Nice...will be looking forward to it!

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Two side to this, those that have bought plugin hybrids know what they are getting into and having no problem plugging them in. The issue is with loaner programs. BMW's loaner program in Seattle with i3's is terrible as the people using them do not park them into the designated spaces around the city and seem to never plug them in. This makes me think not only lazy but of the attitude that someone else will plug it in. As such, most the the i3 have been dead when another person goes to use it and so BMW now has a group of people driving around in i3 service auto's making sure the fleet is charged and ready for use.

This is where Nissan's presentation on wireless charging would make sense. Just pull the auto back into it's designated parking place that has the charger in the ground and will wirelessly charge the auto backup. Wonder how long before BMW does this as a service fleet is expensive to have on a car sharing program.

Now using them for ride sharing options would make sense. Though I have my doubts that FCA is ready for the big time  in this case with issues with their stuff in general. I do like the wireless charging option....let's hope that they can do that. I hope that they can get it right, as the vans themselves are quite nice......

• Like 1