How Long Before

Gas prices get so high,people stop buying SUV's and we see more and more cars on the road again? My reason for asking this is because my fiancee love Denali's and says gas is not an issue for her....and I think she's nuts! :duh:

Gas prices get so high,people stop buying SUV's and we see more and more cars on the road again?  My reason for asking this is because my fiancee love Denali's and says gas is not an issue for her....and I think she's nuts! :duh:

Not anytime soon. You must realize that people who can afford $40k+ SUVs aren't really concerned about the price of fill-up.

I think high gas prices are a major factor in reduced sales of mid sized SUV's like the Explorer and TrailBlazer, but high gas prices are probably not much of an issue for people who can afford the full size SUV's. However, I would think that high gas prices will reduce demand for used full size SUV's.

I think gas prices will certainly have an effect on SUVs, as they already have been, for people who have paid for big SUVs on a loan or something. For those who can afford to pay it upfront, they probably have the money to pay for gas no matter what the price (realistically speaking of course).

Gas prices only have an impact on people who commute large distances. I only spend $10 a month more than I used to, because I only drive 1,000 km (600 miles) a month. Families who are going to be hit hard are the ones who BOTH commute 30+ miles each way. They can see their gas bills rise by a couple hundred a month!

And many people with SUVs are using company gas cards and don't care.

I just don't understand the need to have a car with a 30 gallon gas tank that gets 13-15 MPG with gas prices nearing 3.30 a gallon....I think its nuts, and when the prices continue to rise....people will blame the automakers for gas guzzlers...when they have no reason to stop making them because people are still eating them up....I just think its a never ending cycle....I love my Delta 88 but that thing drinks gas like it's going out of style and I'm starting to dread the thought of restoring it for that mere fact alone...My father always told me "I bust my ass to live, support my family, and make ends meet. Theres no need to waste money on pointless things" I agree with that to an extent....you can get room for seven in old B-body wagons....you don't need a 5,000 lbs station wagon on stilts for that

i own a suburban, and i probably can't really afford it, but i'm not going to be giving it up any time soon. I need a full size vehicle, as do quite a few people that own them. I can see a few people moving down to something smaller, but many will just eat the extra costs

Kinda funny that the guy that started the thread about rising gas prices and uneconomical vehicles chose to recently purchase a '95 Buick Riviera that's supercharged and therefore takes premium only. My '96 is naturally aspirated and doesn't get the best gas mileage, so I can imagine what yours is like. Also, I don't see the reason why you'd dread restoring the Delta simply because it sucks down gas; that makes no sense. If anything, I'd be leery of it for how much it would cost to do right because playing with cars is a very expensive hobby; if you see the figures associated with what you'd like to do to the car the right way, you'll soon realize that the gas it'll burn when it's done will be a drop in the bucket by comparison.

So very true XP... I just hope my eventual 59 Buick will

get double digits... I got 11-14 in the Camaro most of the

time so a 401 nailhead or whatever draging around an

extra 1000 pounds or so will not do any better.

I think gas will stabilize at $3.00, it's still too much but not

enough to piss off the masses to the point of it effecting

politics and most car purchases.

I paid 1.99 for E85 this morning regular was 2.59 at one place in town. I'm getting like 13 mpg with it in my suburban compaired to like 14.5 mpg with regular. I haven't done the math to see if im losing any money on it, but I like the idea of using mostly ethanol and supporting the local farmers so it is worth it to me even if I am.

uh XP....I use 87 octane in my Riviera and it runs fine for me....and I bought it when gas was 2.40 a gallon here just a few months ago....and about my Delta...again its a car I took off the road due to many reasons, and a big one is the cost of gas in a car thats getting around 10 MPG...and my restoration will not be a ground up body off frame job either.....it'll be mostly drivetrain related and some cosmetic and interior....and will likely become a weekend car or be passed down to my child when I have one.....And I really don't need to justify to you my purchase of the Riviera....you can't compare a 3800 lbs car with a V6 and a tiny supercharger to a 5000 lbs truck with 4 wheel drive plus a 10 gallon bigger gas tank with a V8 in it. and if I could actually fit and be comfortable in a smaller car I'd get one....and if you're gonna get a Riviera, at least get a fully loaded one, with the sunroof, heated seat, memory seat, lumbar etc....and supercharger.