Florida bound - badly awaited vacation

Leave for So. Fla. tomorrow at 6:00 am + (all day going West to East).

4 days in So. Fla. incl. Memorial Day

3 days in the Panhandle

3 days in Atlanta (lived there for 2 years - retracing some steps, seeing some friends)

Will try to stay off C&G (need a break from Chargerino et. al.). J/K. Just some chill time...not even any books.

Any plans for Memorial Day or any of the summer holidays? Y'all be cool.

either Yellowstone National Park or Rocky Mountain National Park......and if my parents decide not to be so lame....Sequoia National Park..

Yellowstone National Park

I've been thinking about that one myself. Either that, or somewhere in Texas, or maybe the Carolina coast.

I am flying to Southern California (Orange County & Los Angeles) on Saturday for several days, just to see an area of the country I've never been to before. I am renting a car and plan to just drive around and get out and walk anywhere that looks nice and interesting.

Southern California ( Los Angeles) I am renting a car and plan to just drive around and get out and walk anywhere that looks nice and interesting.

Don't walk around South Central!!! In fact, I would avoid areas around the 110 Freeway south of Downtown LA (I-10) and north of the San Diego Freeway (I-405).

The weather will probably be awesome.

Yea, stay out of South Central. Walk around Chinatown, and go to CBS Seafood if you want some amazing Dim Sum. It's at the corner of Spring & Ord. Oh, and if you take the Pasadena Freeway, be careful.

Hollywood is interesting to walk around, and I grudgingly recommend walking around the Westwood area. Beverly Hills is overrated, and Santa Monica is underrated. PCH is a nice drive, as is touring around Pacific Palisades.

Upgrade your rental to a convertible...you won't regret it.

As for OC...Huntington Beach is really nice, very pedestrian-friendly. Long Beach is also pretty nice. Newport Beach has Fashion Island, but honestly I don't think it's anything special...just your generic OC suburb.

Yea, stay out of South Central.  Walk around Chinatown, and go to CBS Seafood if you want some amazing Dim Sum.  It's at the corner of Spring & Ord.  Oh, and if you take the Pasadena Freeway, be careful.

Hollywood is interesting to walk around, and I grudgingly recommend walking around the Westwood area.  Beverly Hills is overrated, and Santa Monica is underrated.  PCH is a nice drive, as is touring around Pacific Palisades.

As for OC...Huntington Beach is really nice, very pedestrian-friendly.  Long Beach is also pretty nice.  Newport Beach has Fashion Island, but honestly I don't think it's anything special...just your generic OC suburb.

Yeah, the Pasadena is LA's oldest freeway with narrow lanes and ridiculously short ramps.

We disagree on the pedestrian areas. Hollywood is ok and the footprints at the Chinese theather are cool. It's also an opportunity to take the Metro subway out the Universal CityWalk. Westwood Village IS nice. It's Santa Monica that I can't stand. A few blocks off the Promenade and it's gross. BH is just plain boring, once off Rodeo, there's nothing else unless you're in the car and you want to see nice homes. I would include some walking in the Manhattan / Hermosa / Redondo Beach areas. I would also throw in Laguna...if you can find parking.

Enjoy you lucky ba$tard, should be a lot of fun.

By the time you come back XP might be sporting

another classic Cadillac and I might be buying a

stepping stone to my 59 classic car after I have

finally sold the Camaro. :(

Well... I don't have any plans but I know what I want to do. If I get a good car, I'd like to travel around to meet some of you guys, this summer. Maybe plan a few C&G meets here in Brookville. I do know that for Labor day weekend, I would really like for some C&Gers to come by for the weekend for the annual Knox Dale Fireman's homecoming and camp out with me and my family. Lot's of activities and fun as I mentioned when I posted about going last year. Softball and Vollyball tournaments, music artists playing, games, Demo Derby, gun raffle, etc. I've camped out there all my life and each year gets more boring, so I thought having some of you guys there would be great. Heh... just keep that in mind, though... :D

Yeah, the Pasadena is LA's oldest freeway with narrow lanes and ridiculously short ramps.

We disagree on the pedestrian areas.  Hollywood is ok and the footprints at the Chinese theather are cool.  It's also an opportunity to take the Metro subway out the Universal CityWalk.  Westwood Village IS nice.  It's Santa Monica that I can't stand.  A few blocks off the Promenade and it's gross.  BH is just plain boring, once off Rodeo, there's nothing else unless you're in the car and you want to see nice homes.  I would include some walking in the Manhattan / Hermosa / Redondo Beach areas.  I would also throw in Laguna...if you can find parking.

I dunno...Santa Monica is charing to me...the pier, the Promenade, the restaurants...it's just a place you HAVE to see. I find Hollywood to be the trashiest place I have ever been next to a Mexican border town. You're right about the subway though...Hollywood is pretty much the ONLY opportunity to take it...does it go anywhere else? I don't even think the BH homes are much to write home about...Pac Pal and OC have nicer ones with better architecture IMO, though I like that one off of either Camden or Rodeo with that funky roof that looks like something out of Alice In Wonderland.

The thing I like about Huntington is that the beach is there and yet there is great access to the shops and restaurants just off PCH...very nice, clean, and most of all convenient.

Nothing is planned for Memorial Day (maybe go to the grandparents outside of Ocean City).

Summer, however, should be very nice. Plans are in the works to go to Charleston SC to visit my sister. Beautiful city...especially the Battery Park area.

I dunno...Santa Monica is charing to me...the pier, the Promenade, the restaurants...it's just a place you HAVE to see.  I find Hollywood to be the trashiest place I have ever been next to a Mexican border town.  You're right about the subway though...Hollywood is pretty much the ONLY opportunity to take it...does it go anywhere else?  I don't even think the BH homes are much to write home about...Pac Pal and OC have nicer ones with better architecture IMO, though I like that one off of either Camden or Rodeo with that funky roof that looks like something out of Alice In Wonderland.

The thing I like about Huntington is that the beach is there and yet there is great access to the shops and restaurants just off PCH...very nice, clean, and most of all convenient.

I agree... Santa Monica seems interesting to me. I went to the Ashes and Snow exhibition on SaMo pier Mother's Day, and the city seemed interesting enough, in a busy, lots-of-stores sort of way.

Yea, stay out of South Central.  Walk around Chinatown, and go to CBS Seafood if you want some amazing Dim Sum.  It's at the corner of Spring & Ord.  Oh, and if you take the Pasadena Freeway, be careful.

Hollywood is interesting to walk around, and I grudgingly recommend walking around the Westwood area.  Beverly Hills is overrated, and Santa Monica is underrated.  PCH is a nice drive, as is touring around Pacific Palisades.

As for OC...Huntington Beach is really nice, very pedestrian-friendly.  Long Beach is also pretty nice.  Newport Beach has Fashion Island, but honestly I don't think it's anything special...just your generic OC suburb.

Well I wish we had better weather, but this marine layer has been tenacious!

Anyways you HAVE to make Laguna Beach a MUST-SEE.....it's probably the most characterful beach town in southern California.

Newport Beach is actually worth the time. Don't go to Fashion Island....instead, spend some time on Balboa Island, down the Lido Peninsula, or in Corona del Mar.

If you HAVE time, take a drive over Ortega Highway from San Juan Capistrano to Lake Elsinore.

I dunno...Santa Monica is charing to me...the pier, the Promenade, the restaurants...it's just a place you HAVE to see.  I find Hollywood to be the trashiest place I have ever been next to a Mexican border town.  You're right about the subway though...Hollywood is pretty much the ONLY opportunity to take it...does it go anywhere else?  I don't even think the BH homes are much to write home about...Pac Pal and OC have nicer ones with better architecture IMO, though I like that one off of either Camden or Rodeo with that funky roof that looks like something out of Alice In Wonderland.

While "Hollywood" is kinda trashy and touristy, WEST Hollywood would be a GREAT area to hang out.

Santa Monica Boulevard is cool if ur gay.....or go up a few blocks to (world-famous) Sunset Boulevard and the Sunset Strip. That IS really cool.

Also spend some time driving up and over the hollywood hills.....just north of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood. Mulhollond Drive is up there....and u can take Coldwater Canyon from BH or Laurel Canyon from WH. The hills, canyons, vistas, and unique home architecture up there is charming.

No MAJOR plans for Memorial Day weekend, although a few friends of mine and I might run down Sunday night to Harrah's in north San Diego County for a short evening of gambling.....we'd come back Monday morning.

My big trip is Hawaii in June for a week. I'm spending three nights on Oahu in Waikiki (Honolulu) at this charming little gay hotel....and then I'm spending three more nights on the Big Island of Hawaii at a beautiful resort.

The Waikiki portion of my trip will be the "nightlife, big city" version of Hawaii (I've been before...it's really fun) and my Big Island portion will be the total relaxation portion (never been to the Big Island before so that will be new to me.)

I'm using frequent flyer points to fly first class (yippee) from LAX to Honolulu on an American Airlines 767 (nice, big plane) then I fly back from Kona to LAX, also AA first class on a 757.

Should be a good time. I've been travelling so damn much for work this year, I'm looking forward to some Hawaii-like relaxation.

I thought about going to the Carribbean, but I've been to Hawaii before....and I know that it's nice and I like it......

Yesterday I went to my dad's for a family picnic. Today I am invited to my neighbor's for a cookout, but each guest has to cook their own steak on his smoker. Yippee. And I have to buy a water heater because mine is leaking into my garage. Hoorah. I hope to take off for somewhere fun tomorrow, maybe Baltimore's Inner Harbor, Annapolis, or one of the coastal Maryland/Delaware beaches. Then it's back to hell/work on Tuesday.

Bob, say hi from all of us at C&G to Harry while you're in West Palm. And please don't take any pills if he offers, you might wake up feeling like you've had a medical exam of some kind.

Not many plans for the memorial day weekend...well, nothing major anyway. I already had my fun friday night for my birthday, and felt the aftereffects until late last night. Don't know what else there is planned.

As far as summer vacations though, in August my family and some friends are planning on going to Hawaii again. We usually stay at these condos in Napili Kai that are right on the beach...pretty fun time.

In between then though I'll probably be making several road trips/camping trips...Maybe some boating/jet-skiing trips. We'll see what happens.

Bob, say hi from all of us at C&G to Harry while you're in West Palm.  And please don't take any pills if he offers, you might wake up feeling like you've had a medical exam of some kind.

That won't be happening. Like I said, it's my badly awaited vacation. 8)

That's a nice area, Croc. I miss living there (I was on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, within easy daytrip distance of Baltimore, Annapolis, DC, and ocean beaches, sigh).

*whew*... good, CB. Didn't want you to get all drugged up and violated. Have fun, sir.

Edited by ocnblu

I'm definitely gonna roadtrip to Maryland/DC sometime this summer...just gotta pick a good weeekend.

I was just out that way last year during my 2-week road trip ... cool area :).

This year, I'll be doing a road trip out west (TX, OK, etc.) in October ... of course, the MC Nationals in TN in June, and a few other side trips, too.

Not much done this Memorial Day weekend ... drove the older 4 MCs a bit ;).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I can’t stop driving" ... New Radicals ... 'Someday We'll Know'

While "Hollywood" is kinda trashy and touristy, WEST Hollywood would be a GREAT area to hang out.

Santa Monica Boulevard is cool if ur gay.....or go up a few blocks to (world-famous) Sunset Boulevard and the Sunset Strip.  That IS really cool.

Also spend some time driving up and over the hollywood hills.....just north of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood.  Mulhollond Drive is up there....and u can take Coldwater Canyon from BH or Laurel Canyon from WH.  The hills, canyons, vistas, and unique home architecture up there is charming.

I loved driving on Mulholland Drive and Coldwater Canyon.

I didn't care for Venice Beach. Not my kind of crowd. The beach at Santa Monica was OK. Also didn't car for Hollywood, but I loved driving up Sunset Blvd.

Malibu was boring, but driving up California 23 from the PCH to 101 was as challenging as some Tennessee mountain roads I drove on late last year.

I liked the PCH south of the intersection with 55. If I ever go back, I should spend more time in Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.

I wanted to drive California 2 in the mountains, but the road was closed.

I was given an upgrade to a Cadillac DTS. I loved the Northstar V8, but the seats were worse than those in a Ford Focus I drove last year. The car was hardly better than Ford's old Panther sedans.

Yea, I just hear Baltimore can be pretty dicey.  I'm thinking though that it won't be much different from South Central.

Baltimore is actually nicer than DC is. Sure, it doesn't have all of the monuments and reflecting pools, and federal buildings, but DC doesn't have the Inner Harbor.

Baltimore is actually nicer than DC is. Sure, it doesn't have all of the monuments and reflecting pools, and federal buildings, but DC doesn't have the Inner Harbor.

Baltimore has the 2nd highest crime rate in the US, with #3 being Detroit and #1 Camden, NJ.

A clue:  don't go to the slums.

Without having been there, everything I've read online puts Chinatown in a dicey area. I'll also be visiting a friend @ Hopkins...he says the crime around there is pretty bad.

I love the Harbor, and Fells Point.  Of course, I also go up to Mount Vernon.  DC, however, is so cosmopolitan, it's a really cool town to visit.

I've been to Baltimore once, for a conference in May '97, a few weeks before I moved from Michigan to Colorado.

I remember the Harbor and Fells Point being very nice, but the neighborhoods between them being a bit sketchy.

Been to DC once--spent a four day weekend there in '96, around the time of the cherry blossoms in Spring..went down to Mt. Vernon. Neat city, I should go back and see the museums, etc again.

I spent most of this past Monday wandering around Pittsburgh, a city I hadn't been to in over 10 years...lots of things have changed, lots have stayed familiar..

As far as this summer, only one trip planned so far...a week on the beach in San Diego and a few days in Palm Springs and Phoenix afterwards at the end of this month through July 4th. I'll probably go somewhere Labor Day, maybe visit friends in Portland (it would be nice to see Oregon when there's no freezing rain).

Edited by moltar

I loved driving on Mulholland Drive and Coldwater Canyon. 

I didn't care for Venice Beach.  Not my kind of crowd. The beach at Santa Monica was OK.  Also didn't car for Hollywood, but I loved driving up Sunset Blvd.

Malibu was boring, but driving up California 23 from the PCH to 101 was as challenging as some Tennessee mountain roads I drove on late last year.

I liked the PCH south of the intersection with 55.  If I ever go back, I should spend more time in Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.

I wanted to drive California 2 in the mountains, but the road was closed.

I was given an upgrade to a Cadillac DTS.  I loved the Northstar V8, but the seats were worse than those in a Ford Focus I drove last year.  The car was hardly better than Ford's old Panther sedans.

Oh, yeah, Venice Beach is weird and sensory overload. SaMo is nothing special, as I said. Malibu is not meant to be exciting, just beautiful...and it is. Too bad you didn't take in Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo....I like those. The OC beach towns are definitely nice...hence the white flight to those areas.

The rest of the inland stuff is ok...most of the beautiful homes are either by the beach or in the canyons. It is a unique place, that's for sure....as I sit here near the beach in the Florida panhandle. :lol:

Too bad you didn't take in Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo....I like those. 

I did walk around the boardwalk at Redondo Beach. There were a lot of families out fishing early in the morning. The parking garage had a unique method of paying.

I liked the PCH south of the intersection with 55.  If I ever go back, I should spend more time in Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.

My FAVORITE part of southern California....! I feel lucky to live here.

:)

Did we squeeze in some nice weather for you, or was it still overcast and cool while you were here?

Sunset Boulevard/West Hollywood is a real trip on a Friday or Saturday night. I'd have to say that is the heart of Los Angeles nightlife....and I'd also have to say that there are very few cities in the U.S. that rival it for depth of choice in bars/clubs/restaurants, etc. NY does and prolly Chicago but that's 'bout it.

It was sunny with temperatures in the high 70's or 80's every day.

I was alone for this trip and mostly ate fast food or had free breakfast at the motel. I don't really care to go to expensive restaurants alone, and I wasn't dressed appropriately for it. I didn't think In-N-Out was as great as its reputation, but whenever I drove past one, the drive thru had long lines.

The shakes are gross @ In-N-Out, but the food is top-notch...I do think it is kinda bland if you don't know the "secret menu" though.  I know I gotta get everything animal style.

THREE WORDS:

BOB'S BIG BOY

preferably the original one in Burbank

I LOVE that place. Ate there almost EVERY day of my college experience. The combo with extra bleu cheese for the fries.

THREE WORDS:

BOB'S BIG BOY

preferably the original one in Burbank

I LOVE that place.  Ate there almost EVERY day of my college experience.  The combo with extra bleu cheese for the fries.

Went to the newish one in Torrance... wasn't that special, IMO.