What does everyone make of this photo?

#1CadillacEV-Fob.png

Jalopnik story

According to Jalopnik, an anonymous tipster emailed in photo's of a key fob and clearly proved it is from Cadillac by flipping the fob over to show the Cadillac logo on the back. The interesting thing is that the new leader of Cadillac has been busy rolling back all of the former leaders car focused stuff and refocusing on CUVs. Yet when asked about a new Halo auto and if the mid-engine corvette could be used as a base, the response was we will have something much more interesting and special for Cadillac.

Now with that said, we get pictures of this fob which would show a frunk and trunk plus a retractable roof. Is it possible that Cadillac could go AWD EV Halo on us?

What do you all think is going on here? Is it the fob to an EV Halo car, Hybrid Halo car, Mid-Engine ICE Halo?

<speculation>

The particular functions seem to imply a retractable top mid engined convertible.   It could be Cadillac's Ferrari 488 competitor based on the C8.   Seems like it would be a nice home for the V8 TT from the CT6 V-sport.   Who knows... 

</speculation>

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cadillac EV halo?  It looks more like a mid-engined sports car by having a retractable top. 

I guess you wouldn't have a button on the fob to open the engine bay though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Cadillac EV halo?  It looks more like a mid-engined sports car by having a retractable top. 

I guess you wouldn't have a button on the fob to open the engine bay though. 

The hatch would be the engine cover on a mid engined car (though there may be another cover under it).   Frunk, hatch, retractable top...very interesting implications from this, if it's not someone's Photoshop fun...

LIke the Bolt (and Volt) this has remote start to probably get the car warm inside etc.. the retractable roof button like the Vette.. the hatch button and what might be a power hood or additional storage button. This could be EXACTLY what GM should be doing  with a car like this to spread and amortize costs faster.. like VW Group does with the R8, Gallardo/Huracan and Italdesign Zerouno. Only having the C8 as the sole vehicle, especially considering the FE C7 is supposed to live on will be a profit disaster. Not to mention Cadillac needs this more than Chevy does

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The hatch would be the engine cover on a mid engined car (though there may be another cover under it).   Frunk, hatch, retractable top...very interesting implications from this, if it's not someone's Photoshop fun...

If you look at the additional pictures on the story, you see the actual Cadillac logo on the back side and some sort of sticker label on the side that shows it could be a prototype, but still it is an actual fob based on the additional pictures on the Story from Jalopnik. So I would have to say no photoshop.

Here is the BOLT Fob.

2018-chevrolet-bolt-smart-keyless-entry-

I can see a fancy version of this above for what ever auto they have it on next.

• Upvote 1

Be it an EV, Plugin or just a nice properly done mid engine halo car for Cadillac, I am excited by this.

#1CadillacFob.png

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Cadillac's CT6 lineup in the U.S. will be seeing the departure of one its powertrains for 2019. GM Authority is reporting that Cadillac will be canning plug-in hybrid variant for the U.S.
      "Cadillac remains committed to electrified systems for our vehicles. Although production of the CT6 PLUG-IN for North America is discontinuing for the 2019 model year, alternative fuel vehicles remain a part of our future product portfolio as we move deeper in to our 10-year plan. GM has committed to 20 electric vehicles by 2023, some of which will be Cadillacs," a spokesman told the outlet.
      This is likely a recent decision, considering the model was listed in GM's VIN decoder documents. What caused Cadillac to change its mind on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid? Most likely it comes down to tariffs as the CT6 is imported from China and gets slapped with a 25 percent tariff when it enters the U.S. market. Add in the factor that only a small number of 10,542 CT6s sold in the U.S. were the plug-in hybrid and it isn't quite surprising that the model has been axed.
      Cadillac will continue selling the plug-in hybrid version of the CT6 in China.
      Quick refresher on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid: The powertrain was comprised of a turbocharged 2.0L inline-four, two electric motors, and an 18.4-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack to produce a total output of 449 horsepower. Maximum electric range stands at 31 miles.
      Source: GM Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Cadillac's CT6 lineup in the U.S. will be seeing the departure of one its powertrains for 2019. GM Authority is reporting that Cadillac will be canning plug-in hybrid variant for the U.S.
      "Cadillac remains committed to electrified systems for our vehicles. Although production of the CT6 PLUG-IN for North America is discontinuing for the 2019 model year, alternative fuel vehicles remain a part of our future product portfolio as we move deeper in to our 10-year plan. GM has committed to 20 electric vehicles by 2023, some of which will be Cadillacs," a spokesman told the outlet.
      This is likely a recent decision, considering the model was listed in GM's VIN decoder documents. What caused Cadillac to change its mind on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid? Most likely it comes down to tariffs as the CT6 is imported from China and gets slapped with a 25 percent tariff when it enters the U.S. market. Add in the factor that only a small number of 10,542 CT6s sold in the U.S. were the plug-in hybrid and it isn't quite surprising that the model has been axed.
      Cadillac will continue selling the plug-in hybrid version of the CT6 in China.
      Quick refresher on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid: The powertrain was comprised of a turbocharged 2.0L inline-four, two electric motors, and an 18.4-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack to produce a total output of 449 horsepower. Maximum electric range stands at 31 miles.
      Source: GM Authority
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen is planning a lineup of electric vehicles which include a hatchback, crossover, and small van. But a new report says the German automaker has ambitions to launch an electric vehicle with a pricetag of about 18,000 euros (about $21,000).
      Sources tell Bloomberg the model in question will be a subcompact crossover and begin selling sometime after 2020. According to Reuters, the model is currently known as "MEB entry". Volkswagen is planning a production volume of 200,000 vehicles that will take place at three factories. This vehicle hasn't been approved by Volkswagen's supervisory board. According to sources, a discussion on the vehicle is expected to take place during their next meeting on November 16th - the same meeting that is reportedly where a discussion on possible expanding their partnership with Ford is expected to take place.
      Sources also mentioned another electric model, the I.D. Aero. The midsize sedan and wagon would be built at Volkswagen's Emden plant in Germany. Emden is currently home to the production of the European Passat sedan and wagon, but sources say production of the model would move to the Czech Republic in 2022. Having the Aero take the Passat's place would help keep jobs at Emden.
      Volkswagen declined to comment.
      Source: Bloomberg (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen is planning a lineup of electric vehicles which include a hatchback, crossover, and small van. But a new report says the German automaker has ambitions to launch an electric vehicle with a pricetag of about 18,000 euros (about $21,000).
      Sources tell Bloomberg the model in question will be a subcompact crossover and begin selling sometime after 2020. According to Reuters, the model is currently known as "MEB entry". Volkswagen is planning a production volume of 200,000 vehicles that will take place at three factories. This vehicle hasn't been approved by Volkswagen's supervisory board. According to sources, a discussion on the vehicle is expected to take place during their next meeting on November 16th - the same meeting that is reportedly where a discussion on possible expanding their partnership with Ford is expected to take place.
      Sources also mentioned another electric model, the I.D. Aero. The midsize sedan and wagon would be built at Volkswagen's Emden plant in Germany. Emden is currently home to the production of the European Passat sedan and wagon, but sources say production of the model would move to the Czech Republic in 2022. Having the Aero take the Passat's place would help keep jobs at Emden.
      Volkswagen declined to comment.
      Source: Bloomberg (Subscription Required), Reuters
    • By dfelt
      Howdy all, took my Escalade in for routine service, got an XT5 as a loaner for the day and stopped to check out the two XT4's they had sitting by the service center.
      First impression, WOW, this is actually nicer looking than the 2018 XT5 I have as a loaner. XT5 needs the interior of the XT4 as it shows it is dated. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, my screen is cracked and I did not realize how fuzzy some of the pics are.
      First sat in the front passenger side, have about 3 inches above my 6'6" 300lb body, plenty of leg room, very comfy.

Next I did the David test, jumped out and got in the back seat to see how I fit. Very hard doing a selfie, legs have to straddle the seat, no knee room, but then I expected that. Head room was about an inch or so, tight but doable for short trips. Have to bend forward to watch the head, otherwise people over 6' will smack their head getting in and out. Will say that I really like the Kona interior with Black and wood accents. Very nice.

I have to say that I liked the rear heated seats and USB port.

From the back seat, pretty easy to see the front dash. Love the buttons plus the touch screen in this CUV.

Went around to the drivers side, have to say very comfy. Probably one of the best seat setups yet for Cadillac.

This XT4 is the Sport addition, had the white tail lights that I really like. But found one other thing and I have to say, I did not think it would be any big deal till I tried it and OMG, I want it on my next auto.

As you can see here in the seat adjustments, the massage seat. WOW, talk about awesome along with a very adjustable lumbar support and the multi-positional seat adjustments. Massage is worth it.
      So then I took a look under the Hood, Turbo is the engine as we all knew, tight package, but clean in the layout for AWD / FWD bias.

I will say this auto is sharp looking and way better in person than in pictures.

Was walking around it and decided to pop open the gas cap, discovered a surprise that I think Cadillac is hiding.
      What do you see here?

?
      ?
      ?
      ?
      ?
      ?
      ?
      Give up? Well, around the gas filler is a rubber boot. Most people would not think anything about it, but the engineer in me wondered why the weird C to the left. Pressing in revealed to the feel a rectangle top to bottom plastic outline. Pulling the boot up a little to look under that rubber is what appears to be I think a socket to hold a Plugin port for a Hybrid. Think about this, that opening is much wider than it needs to be just for Gas fueling only and why would you want a port up on the drivers side front fender. It just makes sense to have both the charging port and gas port under one lid.
      I realize I could be totally wrong on this, but it does have me thinking about why a tall Rectangular plastic houseing on the left side of the gas filler hole and the width of this panel. Plugin Hybrid, EV, I do wonder! 🤔
      There was a White Premium Luxury with the Sky roof and it was nice, but I do not like the red tail lights after seeing the white ones. Rims on the Premium I do not like as much as the Sport rims too.

This Metallic Black XT4 Sport edition is really nice.

Seeing it next to my 2018 XT5 Loaner, Cadillac has a home run on their hands and it should sell very well. I cannot see how they will get the XT4 lights onto the XT5 without some body metal changes, but then they might just consider a more radical update to get it inline as if the XT6 comes with them, then the XT5 will be the odd duck out. Yet I know some say that difference might not be a bad thing.
      One thing I do know is that Cadillac has delivered a luxury compact CUV to the market and I am excited to see how it sells.
      I will also state this here, @balthazar is right on about Cadillac DOES NOT need an XT3 below this for the market. Leave that to Chevrolet and Buick. Cadillac should focus on their CT4 and XT4 Auto's and above in standard, V-Sport, V editions and have the Halo auto and coupes. That is perfect for them. Plus, lets take the Escalade to the V-Sport and V edition level. They really need to do this pronto.
  • My Clubs