William Maley

Chevrolet News:Al Oppenheiser Moves from Camaro to Work on Zero-Emission Vehicles

Al Oppenheiser is possibly one of the most important people working at General Motors being the chief engineer for the fifth and sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro. He helped bring back one of the most iconic muscle cars and make into something quite special. But Oppenheiser will soon face a new challenge.

Car and Driver reports that Oppenheiser will move over to GM's newly formed AV/EV organization to work on zero-emission-vehicle development. GM spokesman Michael Albano explained that they are moving "some of our best talent" to help work on their electrification efforts. Albano did acknowledge this was a lateral move, Oppenheiser would remain as a chief engineer.

"We have launched the final variant of this generation of Camaro, so the time is right" for him to move, said Albano.

What will be Oppenheiser's responsibility in this new position? Car and Driver says it will be "broader than one specific vehicle," meaning he'll be working on a number of vehicle styles.

Source: Car and Driver

View full article

Makes sense to move on at this time..the Camaro has painted itself into a corner where it paradoxically gets more powerful yet uglier...a dead end.  They need a clean sheet of paper approach for the next Camaro. 

• Upvote 1

And the Pony car segment is getting progressively smaller while eV's will only get larger. Good move, GM!

Considering he had a hand in the EV Camaro plug in motor to the tranny, I can see a legacy of Box'd electric motors to replace ICE motors for restoration by those that want the Torque and reduced maintenance of an electric motor.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Considering he had a hand in the EV Camaro plug in motor to the tranny, I can see a legacy of Box'd electric motors to replace ICE motors for restoration by those that want the Torque and reduced maintenance of an electric motor.

It is the future, just not one people are ready to embrace.

I agree with Balthazar that cost is a major issue....but we keep making progress.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It is the future, just not one people are ready to embrace.

I agree with Balthazar that cost is a major issue....but we keep making progress.

Electric motors are cheap, the battery is the big cost for sure but then I do expect the cost to come down significantly over the next few years as production ramps up. Economy of Scale.

battery-cost-1

If we keep following this trend, I expect the cost of per kWh battery to be below $100 by 2023 which makes the battery and a crate electric motor on par with traditional ice crate projects. $100 is where WITHOUT incentives, battery and electric motor are on par with ICE powertrains.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Maybe they can come up with a crate EV motor that has a case styled to look like a BBC with chrome valve covers, painted orange, with a fake carburetor on top.   And shake, make rumbly sounds, and smell like gasoline. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe they can come up with a crate EV motor that has a case styled to look like a BBC with chrome valve covers, painted orange, with a fake carburetor on top.   And shake, make rumbly sounds, and smell like gasoline. 

...Or hire a CGI team to do the same thing.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Oh boy that sounds so macho

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Oh boy that sounds so macho

Give retrofit EV motors a retro look...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

I can see a legacy of Box'd electric motors to replace ICE motors for restoration by those that want ... reduced maintenance of an electric motor.

The very very last thing on the mind of those restoring older vehicles is less maintenance. Restoring & maintaining is the entire point.

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

Electric motors are cheap, the battery is the big cost for sure but then I do expect the cost to come down significantly over the next few years as production ramps up. Economy of Scale.

What leads you to believe any savings seen on costs is going to be passed on to the consumer?

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The very very last thing on the mind of those restoring older vehicles is less maintenance. Restoring & maintaining is the entire point.

What leads you to believe any savings seen on costs is going to be passed on to the consumer?

Restoring is a Generational thing, younger people have an interest in older auto's but I am seeing at the local car shows younger people also saying they do not want to have to mess with all the maintenance of an ICE auto. Times change and as older folks pass away, younger folks will fall into two camps, those that will tinker with the old ICE auto's and those that will restore with modern power trains to enjoy driving the auto but without the maintenance.

We are already seeing the death of auto clubs and car shows, if we do not change with the times to find a way to excite younger generations, a way of life will truly be lost to the history books.

POSITIVE THINKING, My Wine Glass is ALWAYS half full. I believe that auto companies will want to find a way to keep young folks buying auto's. if they do not then auto companies will die and shrink and that would be bad.

I believe because I want to that companies who want to have a long profitable life in selling product will find a way to have lower cost auto's.

Laugh my friend at the Chinese personal transport pods, but that very well could be part of the future in America as it is in China.

• Haha 1

Why would younger people worried about having to schedule a 20 min oil change at 10,000 miles even BE at a car show?  I thought this age group was crushed under student debt and unable to afford anything more expensive than a street kitchen burrito, nevermind a totally discretionary older vehicle that they are then going to put 10s of thousands into to convert to an EV? 
It's easy to spout automotive platitudes in casual conversation, let's see what they actually DO.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Restoring is a Generational thing, younger people have an interest in older auto's but I am seeing at the local car shows younger people also saying they do not want to have to mess with all the maintenance of an ICE auto. Times change and as older folks pass away, younger folks will fall into two camps, those that will tinker with the old ICE auto's and those that will restore with modern power trains to enjoy driving the auto but without the maintenance.

We are already seeing the death of auto clubs and car shows, if we do not change with the times to find a way to excite younger generations, a way of life will truly be lost to the history books.

POSITIVE THINKING, My Wine Glass is ALWAYS half full. I believe that auto companies will want to find a way to keep young folks buying auto's. if they do not then auto companies will die and shrink and that would be bad.

I believe because I want to that companies who want to have a long profitable life in selling product will find a way to have lower cost auto's.

Laugh my friend at the Chinese personal transport pods, but that very well could be part of the future in America as it is in China.

You do so much research, and then you convey it in a concise, very readable style.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Why would younger people worried about having to schedule a 20 min oil change at 10,000 miles even BE at a car show?  I thought this age group was crushed under student debt and unable to afford anything more expensive than a street kitchen burrito, nevermind a totally discretionary older vehicle that they are then going to put 10s of thousands into to convert to an EV? 
It's easy to spout automotive platitudes in casual conversation, let's see what they actually DO.

Quite true..at old car shows I've attended over the last decade or so, it seems most of the people were Baby Boomers.  Not many people under 50, let alone under 30.   Arizona has a strong old car hobby culture, but it's predominantly an older demo.  I do wonder about the future of the old car hobby after the Baby Boomers age out.  Obviously, some younger people--often the children of those Baby Boomer old car hobbyists--- will get into it, but I don't see as large an interest in old cars with people under 50..

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The Dodge Challenger has been enjoying a resurgence for the past couple of years, due in part to the supercharged variants known as the Hellcat and Demon. But Fiat Chrysler CEO Mike Manley tells the Detroit News, the next-generation Challenger will be quite different.
      "The reality is those platforms and that technology we used does need to move on. They can’t exist as you get into the middle-2020s. New technology is going to drive a load of weight out, so we can think of the powertrains in a different way. And we can use electrification to really supplement those vehicles," said Manley.
      "I think that electrification will certainly be part of the formula that says what is American muscle in the future. What it isn’t going to be is a V-8, supercharged, 700-horsepower engine."
      It is unclear what is in store for the next-generation Challenger. We previously reported that the model would move to the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio. But last year, a story came out that next-generation Challenger and Charger would use a heavily re-worked version of the current LX platform - one that can trace its roots back to Mercedes-Benz models from the 1990s.
      As for possible engines, we wouldn't be surprised if the 2.0L turbo-four found in the Jeep Wrangler becomes available in the next-generation Challenger. There is also the rumor of a new inline-six taking the place of the current Pentastar V6, which we would assume could get some form of electrification. But Kelly Blue Book analyst Karl Brauer is skeptical about muscle cars and electrification co-existing.
      "There's a long-standing rule about what constitutes American muscle, but electrification is not part of it. I need something that gets my blood pumping," said Brauer.
      "The Challenger is now challenging the Mustang for sales primacy with a V-8. Who would have thought that? In terms of sales, the supercharged V-8s have worked well."
      We're guessing that FCA will be keeping some sort of V8 option, possibly one with some sort of electric boost.
      Source: The Detroit News

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Dodge Challenger has been enjoying a resurgence for the past couple of years, due in part to the supercharged variants known as the Hellcat and Demon. But Fiat Chrysler CEO Mike Manley tells the Detroit News, the next-generation Challenger will be quite different.
      "The reality is those platforms and that technology we used does need to move on. They can’t exist as you get into the middle-2020s. New technology is going to drive a load of weight out, so we can think of the powertrains in a different way. And we can use electrification to really supplement those vehicles," said Manley.
      "I think that electrification will certainly be part of the formula that says what is American muscle in the future. What it isn’t going to be is a V-8, supercharged, 700-horsepower engine."
      It is unclear what is in store for the next-generation Challenger. We previously reported that the model would move to the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio. But last year, a story came out that next-generation Challenger and Charger would use a heavily re-worked version of the current LX platform - one that can trace its roots back to Mercedes-Benz models from the 1990s.
      As for possible engines, we wouldn't be surprised if the 2.0L turbo-four found in the Jeep Wrangler becomes available in the next-generation Challenger. There is also the rumor of a new inline-six taking the place of the current Pentastar V6, which we would assume could get some form of electrification. But Kelly Blue Book analyst Karl Brauer is skeptical about muscle cars and electrification co-existing.
      "There's a long-standing rule about what constitutes American muscle, but electrification is not part of it. I need something that gets my blood pumping," said Brauer.
      "The Challenger is now challenging the Mustang for sales primacy with a V-8. Who would have thought that? In terms of sales, the supercharged V-8s have worked well."
      We're guessing that FCA will be keeping some sort of V8 option, possibly one with some sort of electric boost.
      Source: The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      "Yesterday, General Motors met with representatives with Canadian union Unifor - the second in less in two weeks. Talks centered around Oshawa with Unifor pleading to reconsider plans of phasing out products at the plant to keep 3,000 jobs. But those talks went nowhere as GM is moving forward with their restructuring plans.
      "Unfortunately, all Unifor’s proposals would involve substantial incremental costs and a further deterioration of GM’s competitive position. Having completed an analysis of Unifor’s proposals, GM has determined that it cannot pursue them because they would not combat the declining economic and market factors that must be addressed," wrote GM's vice president of manufacturing and labor relations Gerald Johnson and president of GM Canada Travis Hester to Unifor president Jerry Dias in a letter.
      Unifor had proposed a number of ideas to GM keep Oshawa open including "continuing production of older trucks while the company looks for a longer-term option," according to The Detroit News. GM said no to the various ideas, but will support "retraining opportunities for Oshawa employees and working with businesses in the region to help facilitate relocation when the plant phases out production."
      Dias wasn't too happy with the result of talks, saying at a press conference yesterday that GM leaders "in my opinion haven’t reached deep enough or far enough to find a solution. We are not accepting the closure of our Oshawa facilities under any circumstance."
      Workers at Oshawa's afternoon shift staged a sit-down protest yesterday starting around 5:00 P.M. and lasting till 9:45 when GM decided to send them home. Photos and videos posted to Unifor Canada show workers sitting at their stations and buzzers sounding off. Automotive News reports that a second sit-down protest took place this morning for 90 minutes at 8:00 A.M.
      “We understand our union’s frustration but need to now work together to deliver support, transition and training for our employees for new opportunities over the coming year,” GM Canada spokeswoman Jennifer Wright.
      It is unclear if the protests will continue or how much production was lost. What is certain is that Unifor will hold a mass rally in Windsor on Friday.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News

View full article
    • By William Maley
      "Yesterday, General Motors met with representatives with Canadian union Unifor - the second in less in two weeks. Talks centered around Oshawa with Unifor pleading to reconsider plans of phasing out products at the plant to keep 3,000 jobs. But those talks went nowhere as GM is moving forward with their restructuring plans.
      "Unfortunately, all Unifor’s proposals would involve substantial incremental costs and a further deterioration of GM’s competitive position. Having completed an analysis of Unifor’s proposals, GM has determined that it cannot pursue them because they would not combat the declining economic and market factors that must be addressed," wrote GM's vice president of manufacturing and labor relations Gerald Johnson and president of GM Canada Travis Hester to Unifor president Jerry Dias in a letter.
      Unifor had proposed a number of ideas to GM keep Oshawa open including "continuing production of older trucks while the company looks for a longer-term option," according to The Detroit News. GM said no to the various ideas, but will support "retraining opportunities for Oshawa employees and working with businesses in the region to help facilitate relocation when the plant phases out production."
      Dias wasn't too happy with the result of talks, saying at a press conference yesterday that GM leaders "in my opinion haven’t reached deep enough or far enough to find a solution. We are not accepting the closure of our Oshawa facilities under any circumstance."
      Workers at Oshawa's afternoon shift staged a sit-down protest yesterday starting around 5:00 P.M. and lasting till 9:45 when GM decided to send them home. Photos and videos posted to Unifor Canada show workers sitting at their stations and buzzers sounding off. Automotive News reports that a second sit-down protest took place this morning for 90 minutes at 8:00 A.M.
      “We understand our union’s frustration but need to now work together to deliver support, transition and training for our employees for new opportunities over the coming year,” GM Canada spokeswoman Jennifer Wright.
      It is unclear if the protests will continue or how much production was lost. What is certain is that Unifor will hold a mass rally in Windsor on Friday.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      Aside from announcing fourth-quarter sales numbers, General Motors had another big announcement today. GM's Product chief Mark Reuss will succeed Dan Ammann as the company's president. The appointment is effective immediately according to the company. 
      “I am very proud to have spent my entire career at General Motors, and to now take on this new role is truly a great honor. With our current lineup of outstanding cars, trucks, and crossovers around the world, I’m looking forward to keeping our momentum going at full speed,” said Reuss in a statement.
      In November, GM announced Ammann would step down as GM President to take charge of GM's Cruise Automation unit.
      Reuss will still be overseeing GM's Global Product Group and Cadillac, but will also add the responsibility for GM's quality organization. He will also be tasked with building out a product development team that will focus on autonomous and electrified vehicles.
      Source: General Motors

Mark Reuss Named General Motors President
      DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today announced the appointment of Mark Reuss as company president, effective immediately. Reuss currently leads the Global Product Group and Cadillac and will now assume responsibility for the Quality organization.
      “Mark’s global operational experience, deep product knowledge and strong leadership will serve us well as we continue to strengthen our current business, take advantage of growth opportunities and further define the future of personal mobility,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “Mark has played a critical role in leading the development of the company’s award-winning vehicles while transitioning his team to prepare for growing electrification and autonomous technologies.”
      According to Reuss, “I am very proud to have spent my entire career at General Motors, and to now take on this new role is truly a great honor. With our current lineup of outstanding cars, trucks and crossovers around the world, I’m looking forward to keeping our momentum going at full speed.”
      Reuss added responsibilities for Cadillac and global portfolio planning in June 2018. Since then, he has been building an integrated product development and Cadillac organization to support an accelerated product and technology launch cadence and the brand’s global growth plans. Cadillac will be introducing a new vehicle every six months through 2021.
      Reuss has also been leading the transformation of the company’s global product development workforce and processes to drive world-class levels of engineering in advanced technologies and improve quality and speed to market. He is doubling the resources allocated to electric and autonomous vehicle programs in the next two years.

View full article
  • My Clubs