BMW News: BMW Planning New Small EV Paired With Daimler

Drew Dowdell

BMW is planning on a new EV on a platform shared with Daimler according to reports.  The new car, called the i2, would be about the same size as the current BMW i3, but without the expensive carbon fiber body.  

The i2, aimed for a 2024 launch, would have a starting price less than 30,000€ ($34,000).  BMW wants to have a 300km (186 mile) range.  BMW recently revised the i3 to have a larger battery.  The revised battery is 42.2 kWh and gives the i3 a range of 153 miles. 

Sales of the combined models from both BMW and Daimler would be targeted around 500,000 annually. 

View full article

500 000 units annually combined.

250 000 units for each manufacturer.  On top of all the other EVs BMW and Mercedes Benz want to sell...

LOFTY goals. 

Who to believe?

The manufacturers and their CEOs going all in because they believe all the hooplah surrounding EVs...(the hubris of a perfect world and governments forcing EVs upon the people) or other contrary reports that the ICE vehicle is going nowhere anytime soon despite possible bans from governments forcing EVs unto people...

Its agonizing for me just thinking about what the future holds in the next 5-10 years and what kind of car should I be buying...yes I know I got a looong way to go for that and regardless what I buy, EV or ICE, it wont affect my after-purchase life  because for the short term, ICE or EV will be backed by the manufacturer, government for electricity or big oil for gasoline for that car's life span...

Imagine what CEOs are going through as the decisions they make NOW will affect the future survival of their respective companies...

THIS is quite the ONLY time I agree with CEOs getting paid the millions they get paid...for REAL future altering decisions they make...

Like DFELT always says...quite interesting times we are currently living and about to experience.  

• Like 1

Interesting read, sure does nail home the "Interesting Times we are living in and about to experience."

I question why not expand the carbon fiber use to drive down costs and get superior performance, strength and design. 

Seems backwards to go back to old school aluminum / steel. 🤔

Yet, what do I know, we seem to live in an age of Fake everything, no accountability or desire to accept ones own faults / pluses and get the job done.

15 hours ago, riviera74 said:

OK, who in China will actually BUY these EVs?

China is a very different market than what we have. They are moving to BEVs much faster.  Will Daimler-BMW get to 500k units is anyone's guess, but I do think that China is where they will sell the majority of them. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

China is a very different market than what we have. They are moving to BEVs much faster.  Will Daimler-BMW get to 500k units is anyone's guess, but I do think that China is where they will sell the majority of them. 

I totally agree with this, that China has not had the SUV/CUV thing like America has for such a long time. I expect the Chinese to make the jump to BEV very fast in comparison to the rest of the world especially with the GOV using a Carrot or the Stick approach.