Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

August 2019 car spotter

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Just saw this at the light coming home from working out. #spartanstrong 💪

20190803_071010.jpg

Not sure what year, but I leave that to the pro's.

@balthazar @Robert Hall

Have a great weekend all! :metal:

Front side markers filled in, can't tell if that is a '67-68 style hood or '69-72 style.  Subtle differences.  Without seeing the grille hard to nail down.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

On the Ohio Turnpike yesterday afternoon on my way to Detroit saw a very old Airstream trailer w a California plate being towed by 1990s Chevy van.  Very shiny with a pointy rear end. 

It resembled this one...30s vintage.

2b4bc93ee3c9e5d6b66d0a2661702831.jpg

Driving back into the Cleveland area around 2:30 this morning I was on the 480 near the airport, in the center lane going around 70...heard and saw a blur coming up fast on the right, got passed by a yellow Lambo Gallardo spyder, top down, going what appeared to be well over 100..

On my way out this afternoon for comfort food (tacos) and to go to my Sunday happy place (Home Depot) I was followed for several miles by a bright green Lambo Huracan.  The lack of passing spots on a winding 45 mph two line probably drove him crazy. 

Spent about 10 minutes trying to place this one, but no dice so far.
Note the 'bullet' hood ornament, and the way the grille is rounded & edged with chrome at the very bottom is unusual. I see side grille peeking out, too. It's '38-39ish, Buick is the closest but can't' match these details with the bumper. Nash, Hudson, Stude, FoMoCo, ChryCo eliminated. No other GM Divisions are quite there either.  

IMG_0463.jpg

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Everything is generic within its decade if you can only see 10% of it. :)

True..the '38 Buick is a good guess, though..tall narrow grille w/ horizontal bars, close together headlights, and some Buicks have a trim piece which would be where that center bolt is.  '38 Olds has a bumper w/ a bolt there, but the headlights are further apart and the grille bars thicker. 

Saw a lot of Cadillacs on my quick trip to Detroit yesterday... several CTS-Vs, several CT6s, a couple XT4s, Escalades, etc.   Saw the Ren Center from a distance...neat digital GM sign near the top (pic below).  The sports/entertainment center along Woodward looked great, saw a Google office.   What I saw looked much improved from how I remember Detroit 20+ years ago when I lived in A2.  Will have to plan a long weekend visit. 

unnamed-6.jpg

I lived in Detroit in '84-85, it was a hellhole then. Tigers won the World Series and they rioted, flipped & ignited cars. 
GM was still in the General Motors Building then- an ornate, swanky place, pretty cool. 
Glad to hear the city has seen a degree of revival since. 

The long-vacant house next door is a getting remodeled by a flipper, and the city inspector was here this morning checking out the recent roof job.  I was chatting w/ him over the fence about his truck---a very clean bright red '04 Dakota regular cab.   V8, only 60k miles.  Original owner, no rust.   I rarely see 2nd gen Dakotas around. 

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

The long-vacant house next door is a getting remodeled by a flipper, and the city inspector was here this morning checking out the recent roof job.  I was chatting w/ him over the fence about his truck---a very clean bright red '04 Dakota regular cab.   V8, only 60k miles.  Original owner, no rust.   I rarely see 2nd gen Dakotas around. 

That because the engines die and a plethora of other problems. My sister had an 04 Dakota crew cab with the V8 and by 80K miles the engine was dead. Dodge took care of them as all the maintenance was done via the dealer, but 2nd gen Dakota's just seem to be garbage compared to gen 1.

Not sure what year, but 70's era and sexy as hell. Clearly after market exhaust as it had a lovely deep rumble but not too loud or annoying annoying like ricer fart can rides or sti noise.

20190809_171529.jpg

20190809_171555.jpg

Beautiful day..sunny, not too warm.  Went out to Kelleys Island in Lake Erie, took the ferry from Marblehead out to the island and rented a golf cart to get around...that was fun...neat place...  saw a sharp red and cream '56 Chevy Bel Air 2dr ht and a clean dark blue late 80s Camaro IROC-Z on the island.   Driving back on the 90 saw along the freeway on the westside of Cleveland a warehouse with a row of 10-12 VW Vanagons, with a few Rabbits and Beetles in various states of decay. 

Not sure how people cannot stay in their lane but also how some one else can hit and run. Crazy accident day.

20190810_201103.jpg

also saw an old couple in a 2nd gen SRX cadillac that turned into a black F150.hitting the rear bumper and barely any damage to the truck, but the nose was gone on the SRX and the radiator was leaking fluid. Tow for sure.

Then just got to 24hr fitness, coming down the off Ramp from I5 freeway, a S-class Mercedes turned right into the off ramp and just barely missed hitting an accord. Clearly they were confused as I think the wanted the next road up into the Resident Inn. I could see the Accord driver was freaked as were the MB owner.

Leg day, time to burn some calories.

On 8/4/2019 at 3:18 PM, balthazar said:

Spent about 10 minutes trying to place this one, but no dice so far.
Note the 'bullet' hood ornament, and the way the grille is rounded & edged with chrome at the very bottom is unusual. I see side grille peeking out, too. It's '38-39ish, Buick is the closest but can't' match these details with the bumper. Nash, Hudson, Stude, FoMoCo, ChryCo eliminated. No other GM Divisions are quite there either.  

IMG_0463.jpg

Have you eliminated the 1939 LaSalle?

17 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Bumper is wrong and side grilles have a horizontal grid; L-39s have vertical side grillwork.
Hood ornament is the first thing that matches up well; perhaps the side grilles & bumper were changed.

Ah, I can't see the side grillework from your photo.

Saw a dark gray Aston Martin Vanquish on a windy backroad yesterday, and went past a house with an interesting group of GM cars in the driveway--a really clean late 90s tan Cadillac Sedan de Ville, a bright red '04-06 GTO, a black Chevy SS,  and a modified '80s Regal--possibly a GN---in a custom bronze/gold paint job w/ cowl hood, black centered BBS wheels--very sharp. 

Picking up the wife at a friends house and this lovely Ford Fairlane 500 in mint condition was parked out front.

20190816_152540.jpg

20190816_152434.jpg

20190816_152448.jpg

20190816_152456.jpg

20190816_152514.jpg

20190816_152526.jpg

@balthazar I never have really understood if this was just a node to boating or if there was a real reason for the rear deck on either side of the spare tire. Enlighten me Yoda of all things old! 

31 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Picking up the wife at a friends house and this lovely Ford Fairlane 500 in mint condition was parked out front.

20190816_152514.jpg

@balthazar I never have really understood if this was just a node to boating or if there was a real reason for the rear deck on either side of the spare tire. Enlighten me Yoda of all things old! 

It's there to fill the gap between the bumper and body.  That's probably a modern aftermarket Continental kit.

Good day for old GM sightings...   saw a clean white early Fiero GT, a clean white mid 80s Cutlass Supreme 2dr (white 1/4 top and red interior),  a clean bronze early 80s Camaro Berlinetta, a clean black '67 Camaro, a clean yellow '75 Olds 88 convertible top down, tan interior...a couple out enjoying the beautiful Friday afternoon weather...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

Another weekend in the islands.  Saw this sharp 55 Chevy Bel Air convertible on Kelleys Island.  Also saw a sharp yellow Jeep Commando and a couple out to pasture 59-60 Ford pickups.  Saw a few tiny Suzuki Kei vans and crew cab pickups.  Beautiful evening sitting here waiting to drive on the ferry.  It’s refueling from an 80s Ford tanker truck in the old Sohio paint scheme.  Beautiful place.  

7A25420A-31F8-4475-8D20-4F9AC2F2B54A.jpeg

3D40E88B-B91B-43D9-BC0E-AB6401DE461F.jpeg

4E7367D3-9712-428F-8453-A939BA58F4AC.jpeg

Driving out of Marblehead yesterday evening after the ferry ride saw a dark blue Bentley Mulsanne and a dark red Lambo Aventador SV...seemed out of place in a small Ohio lakeside town. 

Edited by Robert Hall

Gotta love Toyota Quality of this Avalon. Yes clearly.backed into.something but the hanging headliner with dropping ceiling handle just say Quality,  nope!

20190818_201231.jpg

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Gotta love Toyota Quality of this Avalon. Yes clearly.backed into.something but the hanging headliner with dropping ceiling handle just say Quality,  nope!

That's like a 15yr old worn out car, though.    Not worth fixing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

That's like a 15yr old worn out car, though.    Not worth fixing. 

My 1994 GMC SLE Suburban has no Dropping headliner and much older than that Toyoter! :P

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

My 1994 GMC SLE Suburban has no Dropping headliner and much older than that Toyoter! :P

Droopy headliners was a GM thing in the late 70s and throughout the 80s IIRC.   I've never had a vehicle w/ that issue. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen one of these on the road in quite a while, walked by this on the way to the metro during family travels this month waiting for some love (probably a lot of them around in that state).

IMG_20190805_091736.jpg

Edited by frogger
  • Agree 1

Another beautiful summer weekend.  Cool and sunny.  Another trip to the islands, went to Put-in-Bay (South Bass Island) yesterday.  Lake Erie was choppy on the ferry crossing, lots of spray on the deck.    Saw this neat Eldorado convertible w/ a rumble seat.    Also saw a white and gray Rolls Royce Wraith coupe on the freeway..what a beast.

I've read have a Sunday old car cruise around the island every Sunday during the summer...will have to come back on a Sunday and check out the cruise and the car museum also. Had lunch at The Keys---a Florida Keys-themed bar...pretty good Mojito and Cuban sandwich.  Not sure how it started, but Put-in-Bay markets itself as the Key West of Ohio...lots of bars and a couple wineries.   Fun place...pics of the War of 1812 Perrys Monument, a marker outside The Keys that is reminiscent of the one in Key West, and a pic from the ferry heading back to the mainland yesterday afternoon...I could spend all summer in the islands.

IMG-2539.JPG

IMG-2555.JPG

IMG-2556.JPG

IMG-2564.JPG

IMG-2576.JPG

Edited by Robert Hall

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

Saw this beauty while filling up the family Durango.

20190831_190912.jpg

Nice T-Bird...my brother had a white '59  w/ red interior back around 1975-6..I remember riding in it as a kid.  He was working at a Ford dealer, I remember visiting him at the dealer w/ my Mom and it was parked next to a new dark blue '76 T-Bird...

This one appears to be a '60 w/ a '59 grille.  (that rear quarter trim was a '60 detail).

Edited by Robert Hall

Waiting at a red light when a new Regal, dark red, passed by perpendicularly.  Was a shock because I haven't seen one on the road in who knows how long.  Sad commentary on the state of the automotive world.  Seems like a very useful, elegant car.

Caught a GMC Sierra 1500 C3 pulling onto the highway.  This was the Sierra Denali before they started making Sierra Denalis. Same color as this promo photo

autowp.ru_gmc_sierra_c3_extended_cab_7.jpg

And for short shopping trip (7 miles each way) I spotted 4 Cadillac CT6es.  Not bad for a car that supposedly doesn't sell.  Yet they taunt me. 

Took the wife out for breakfast and was behind a brand new Chevrolet Spark, no plate yet, just the paper in the window. They braked and my wife asks me if the lights were supposed to do that.

Give Chevy Kudos for a nice looking Subcompact auto, sadly, left brake light came on before right side and cyclops LED lights which then came on like twinkling xmas lights before a steady red light.

If that is the way they are building them, no wonder GM cannot build a competitive subcompact. the electrical sucks.