July Car Spotter

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Excluding known , verified lemons, most any post-war vehicle can go 250K with good maintenance. It's not a rarity. There's a number of documented cars from the '30s going 500K.
Pontiac built excellent V8 motors.

Thank you for confirming what I thought.  Largely based on they were laid out in the engine bay, I liked the small block Pontiac V8s next in line after the small block Olds V8s.  The thing is that, with the internet telling us (and showing us) how long people have kept cars and with more efficient and cleaner fuel delivery systems, people's cars "seem" to be lasting longer.  When the cars of the '70s and '80s were around, people didn't keep them as long.  You seldom ran into people who kept a car longer than 150,000 to 175,000 miles and analog odometers only had five digits to the left of of the fractional mile (km).

Edited by trinacriabob

I'm thinking this counts.  I "spot" it almost daily, on my classic GM car calendar that I get at the parts department at the dealership.  For July 2020, the poster child, photographed in what looks like John Steinbeck country, is this - definitely a Pontiac GTO, somewhere between '69 and '73, but sure would like to know what's under the hood.  I can only think of 2 possible contenders.

KIMG9378-2.thumb.jpg.f394e7b15a7952d1e3911acde80a414d.jpg

My dad had the basic LeMans version of this coupe that we picked up used for about $1 K or $1.5 K when it was 6 years old and with about 48,000 miles.  It had the inline 250 c.i. 6 cyl. and no power gizmos.  Even though we got it for the dog, because the seats were vinyl and our primary car's seats were cloth, it was the most reliable car my parents ever had.

• Agree 2

‘70 Judge. Ram Air III 400, or RA IV 400 optional. Not sure offhand if you could get the 455 on a ‘70 J.

RA III was underrated at 366 HP. Calculations have put this engine at about 410 actual.
RA IV was laughably rated at 370. IV's have round port, hi-flow heads; a huge difference. These were putting out around 450, IIRC.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

This thread is big on Mustangs this month.  Saw this at about noon on my way to a buffet!  (Which rhymes with Happy Friday.) One of the cool Mustangs colors we've been talking about.  Probably a 4.0 L V6?  Not sure.  Either way, nice car.

KIMG9393.thumb.JPG.5ff43ad89933db3b3c88aa625b31bf0d.JPG

• Agree 1

Yellow Viper SRT10. Exactly like this one.   Pulled into my drive-thru window at around 7:00 PM tonight. Had a couple of hot dogs and a Coke.   And on he went on his merry way.

The front end had all kinds of little paint chips and bug stains.  THAT tells me this Viper gets driven...a lot.  THAT makes me happy as the owner of that Viper is ENJOYING his car!!!  Cars are meant to be driven...

2005 Dodge Viper SRT-10 for sale in Bonita Springs, FL | Stock #: 500801-20

PS: That V10 thundered and growled and put a huuuuge smile on my face. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

On 7/24/2020 at 9:26 PM, trinacriabob said:

This thread is big on Mustangs this month.  Saw this at about noon on my way to a buffet!  (Which rhymes with Happy Friday.) One of the cool Mustangs colors we've been talking about.  Probably a 4.0 L V6?  Not sure.  Either way, nice car.

KIMG9393.thumb.JPG.5ff43ad89933db3b3c88aa625b31bf0d.JPG

Well it is a GT, so it's a V8.  Still the 4.6L, IIRC, as when they went back to a 5.slow, those badges also returned.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well it is a GT, so it's a V8.  Still the 4.6L, IIRC, as when they went back to a 5.slow, those badges also returned.

I really liked the 4.6L V8 in a rented Thunderbird coupe toward the end of its life as a large coupe and like how that engine has served FoMoCo so well.  Enough power ... smooth ... good gas mileage.

The more I look at the Mustang, the more I think it's the best retro rebirth job of the Camaro-Mustang-Challenger trio.

- - - - -

I see this duo periodically, and parked next to each other just like this.  It took me some warming up to the current-gen Charger's slimmer, cleaner looking, and more rectangular grille.  Now, I definitely think it makes for the best refresh of the Dodge Charger yet.

KIMG9468-2.thumb.jpg.608e1eb068638744e4b2f1caee3c8b25.jpg

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

Ran out to pickup lunch from Sparta's and saw this Cherry Datsun in the parking lot. Way better looking than anything on the Mercedes-Benz lot next door.

20200731_080128.jpg

• Agree 1