Item: Oldsmobile Toronado

Name: Oldsmobile Toronado
Category: Vehicles
Date Added: 2021-04-02
Submitter: Drew Dowdell

Oldsmobile Toronado

3C4C7A68-65A7-4EEF-8366-3791B1C801E7.jpeg
D4DC047F-7782-40F8-8D06-63EB65BBBDF6.jpeg

So as I mentioned in another thread, I’m trying to keep the truck parked for a while and only drive the Toronado. As I was driving home last night I noticed how dim the sealed beams are. I have LEDs on the truck and active HIDs on the Chrysler. I think I need to find an LED retrofit for the Toronado just for safety reasons.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

There are sealed beam upgrades available, Sylvania Super Stars or something like that- supposed to quite good.

I’m not finding and LED retrofits that I like, so I may try those. 

11 minutes ago, ykX said:

Wrong year, I need the sealed beam style. I ended up buying the Philips Crystal Visions. $54 for all 4 bulbs. I’ll run them for a while and if I don’t like them I’ll get the Philips LED version. I didn’t go with them this time around because they’re $86 per bulb plus tax and shipping on RockAuto. 

I don’t remember the last time I changed the halogens on the Toronado and halogen bulbs lose brightness over time. So it might just be age.

• Sad 1

I looked up the Carid sight for LED replacement headlights for Drew's Toronado and all of them are...yuck!

There are some of those LED lights that look good on 2nd gen Trans Am restomods with the rectangule lights and even the mid to late 80s RWD G-Body, but on that particular Toronado...  Yeah Drew, Id rather the original headlight look on them. 

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

These look good...for a Trans Am.  

Check out our Featured Vehicles this year at the SEMA Show 2016!

LED headlights for 77 Trans am

But something like this would be best for Drew's Toronado.  In my opinion of course.

HEADLAMP CONVERSION 4X6 SAE DOT APPROVED -- 77 - 81 FIREBIRD SET AND MORE

So that second pair is pretty close to what I’d buy if I got LEDs because they look pretty close to OEM.

However, I think this set might also look awesome given the horizontal theme on my front end. Four horizontal DRLs might look awesome.

46BCD775-CD1A-462F-B67A-134E60A84999.png

28257343-CB02-4050-AD0E-5243CA1F4235.png

• Upvote 3