Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

August 2021 Car Spotting

David

Kicking this off as I saw a brand new Cadillac Escalade sport edition all Matte Black. I suspect a custom paint job as I do not see Matte paint on the option list of the web site. New purchase from my local Cadillac dealership I go too.

Plenty of blah appliance auto's today, but one consistent observation, so much body damage on 1 and 2 year old auto's from corners of the bumpers crushed in to side swipes. Very weird especially as I saw a number of subcompacts from Honda Fit to Mini with this kind of damage today as I ran to Costco.

Saw a weird crash scene this evening.  On I-77 southbound saw a late model BMW 5-Series up close against the left median lane divider.  Flashers on, no signs of damage, but all the side curtain airbags had popped.  Driver was sitting on the divider on the phone.  Came back past about 3 hours later, and it was sitting in the same spot on a rollback wrecker, and drivers side looked fine, no sign of damage, but the curtain air bags popped.   Faulty airbag sensors? 

Edited by Robert Hall

On 8/7/2021 at 9:11 PM, balthazar said:

Local Chevy dealer has almost no inventory.
One brand new '21 Silverado W/T; regular cab / long bed, 4WD but stamped steel 17" rims, refrigerator white. Sticker was $33K, but has a 'market adjustment' addition of another $3K.

Interestingly enough, the Chevrolet deanship near my work has a reasonable amount of inventory (although it's not a very large dealership). What's really odd is that they've had the same four C8 Vettes there for the last three weeks. Strange times.

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Spotted August 8

When finned and "truly" full-size Cadillacs were still a little bit garish ...

KIMG0258.thumb.JPG.dbe312e54293c64da83422cad16fffd0.JPG

Front grille

KIMG0260.thumb.JPG.a98e7916459c7dd003a5bae17c772dfd.JPG

Side view

Interesting but nasty color ...

Would be a lovely car with a new paintjob. If that was shiny with clear coat it would probably look amazing.

• Agree 1

I saw yesterday, in pretty decent condition, a late '80s early '90s Chrysler New Yorker.  The pop-up lights looked like they werent working and they were in the 'up' position. 

It was white, no visible rust.  Nothing exciting about it other than seeing a relic of the past.  I hadnt seen one since before the '90s decade was up.

• Agree 1

I was on a playdate today. With an employee's father who had a convertible C6 Corvette.  I had thought that it was a Z06 badge on the side of it a while back when I posted seeing, but in fact it was a Z51 badge. 

Well, he sold it privately and got himself a.....C8 Corvette.   2021.

He had to jump through hoops to get it. None in Quebec were available. All sold out. He gad to fetch it in Saint John's Newfoundland. But couldnt because of Covid restrictions. He had it shipped by ship...to Quebec City to another Chevy dealer  But couldnt fetch it there either. Covid restrictions.   So had it transported by truck to another dealer. Had to pay extra monies to have it shipped to these dealers. But all in all, the transaction price was NOT higher than MSRP.  

However, it wasnt the trim level he wanted. His is a 1LT base Stingray. He wanted another Z51, but beggars cant be choosers with a hot and rare commodity that is a C8 Corvette in Quebec and in Canada generally. 

White with a red interior. Red seats. Red stitching. BEAUTIFUL. But there is no wing. The mags are plain. The only option I think are red brake calipers that have the Corvette name on them. Basic but beautiful. 

So...I spent the entire day with him and his Corvette. Two middle aged men having the time of their lives.  Bonding of our love affair of cars.  Talking about Corvettes, but other muscle machines as well. 

We spent it in the Laurentians.  He let me drive it. I fed him steak and beer and chicken wings.  You know...manly food. Ahem....   

It turned out to be a Thelma and Louise kinda day. (without the sexual abuse, killings, runnin' from the cops and ultimately jumping off a canyon...) 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I was on a playdate today. With an employee's father who had a convertible C6 Corvette.  I had thought that it was a Z06 badge on the side of it a while back when I posted seeing, but in fact it was a Z51 badge. 

Well, he sold it privately and got himself a.....C8 Corvette.   2021.

He had to jump through hoops to get it. None in Quebec were available. All sold out. He gad to fetch it in Saint John's Newfoundland. But couldnt because of Covid restrictions. He had it shipped by ship...to Quebec City to another Chevy dealer  But couldnt fetch it there either. Covid restrictions.   So had it transported by truck to another dealer. Had to pay extra monies to have it shipped to these dealers. But all in all, the transaction price was NOT higher than MSRP.  

However, it wasnt the trim level he wanted. His is a 1LT base Stingray. He wanted another Z51, but beggars cant be choosers with a hot and rare commodity that is a C8 Corvette in Quebec and in Canada generally. 

White with a red interior. Red seats. Red stitching. BEAUTIFUL. But there is no wing. The mags are plain. The only option I think are red brake calipers that have the Corvette name on them. Basic but beautiful. 

So...I spent the entire day with him and his Corvette. Two middle aged men having the time of their lives.  Bonding of our love affair of cars.  Talking about Corvettes, but other muscle machines as well. 

We spent it in the Laurentians.  He let me drive it. I fed him steak and beer and chicken wings.  You know...manly food. Ahem....   

It turned out to be a Thelma and Louise kinda day. (without the sexual abuse, killings, runnin' from the cops and ultimately jumping off a canyon...) 

@oldshurst442 Hilarious story.  Cruising around the Laurentians in the most recent of Corvettes without any of the brittle Thelma and Louise bull5h!+.  

Wow.  I guess he got it prior to the opening of the borders.  The Canadian border opened to (some of) us on August 9 but the converse is not true for the U.S.  And he couldn't go to Quebec City - in the same province - to pick up his Corvette?

I like how you describe the craftsmanship.  Sounds nice.  I think a silver one with the red interior goes to the top of the heap for me in Corvette land.  So, how does the new Corvette drive and ride after being behind the wheel of one?

17 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ That ‘64 above is stately, not garish. 

I only began to like the full-size Cadillac once they got rectangular lamps up front and became more slab sided.  They kept the stateliness but also picked up some "less is more" in the process.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

@oldshurst442 Hilarious story.  Cruising around the Laurentians in the most recent of Corvettes without any of the brittle Thelma and Louise bull5h!+.  

Wow.  I guess he got it prior to the opening of the borders.  The Canadian border opened to (some of) us on August 9 but the converse is not true for the U.S.  And he couldn't go to Quebec City - in the same province - to pick up his Corvette?

I like how you describe the craftsmanship.  Sounds nice.  I think a silver one with the red interior goes to the top of the heap for me in Corvette land.  So, how does the new Corvette drive and ride after being behind the wheel of one?

Yeah...finally that American-Canadian border is open! 

Yeah...there was a time, just a couple of months ago actually, that Quebec was divided into regions and one person couldn't cross into a different region...  Especially if one came from a red zone.  Montreal was a red zone when he got his Vette in May.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/9/2021 at 1:21 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I saw yesterday, in pretty decent condition, a late '80s early '90s Chrysler New Yorker.  The pop-up lights looked like they werent working and they were in the 'up' position. 

It was white, no visible rust.  Nothing exciting about it other than seeing a relic of the past.  I hadnt seen one since before the '90s decade was up.

I also get a kick out of seeing the "Knight Rider" years of Firebird on the road.  There aren't many left.  Some of them are pretty messed up. 

And, like you say, you see the pop-up headlamps in the up position or, even worse, you have one up and one down!  I wonder what the repair bill looks like to fix a pop-up headlamp that isn't popping correctly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I also get a kick out of seeing the "Knight Rider" years of Firebird on the road.  There aren't many left.  Some of them are pretty messed up. 

And, like you say, you see the pop-up headlamps in the up position or, even worse, you have one up and one down!  I wonder what the repair bill looks like to fix a pop-up headlamp that isn't popping correctly.

There are a couple of Camaros and 1 Firebird of that era around my area.   I think...all of them, with their V6 base engines.   I am sure of the Firebird and one of the Camaros as that Camaro has a Berlinetta badge on it. The other Camaro, I cannot tell. But it aint an IROC, therefore it could have the 5.0 middle offering...  

Electric motors on pop-up head lights?  Couple hundred dollars at least to replace the motors.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

‘55 Chevy in the parking lot at Marblehead Lighthouse on Lake Erie. 

Also saw a sharp purple '57 Bel Air 2dr ht on the road, a gorgeous red '64 Bonneville convertible top down rolling along, a white w/ blue stripes  '04-05 Ford GT, and a very clean red w/ red interior '87-89 Mustang GT convertible. 

F671FC3C-D9BA-46EB-8A7B-143B2D0090C7.jpeg

75C25F94-0471-4D1F-95DA-4526E00C5EA0.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 2

I was on the freeway, so couldn't take a photo.  We should all be scanning our surroundings and rear view mirrors when we drive.  (I know ... I am not your mother.)  So, earlier today, I saw this unusual front grille a ways back in my rear view mirror.  It was one of the less popular mid-'70s Cutlasses with a sloped front ... a Cutlass S.  I expected it to be a coupe and have the triangular window and a fastback rear back lite.  Not.

It was a sedan.  That was rare.  It was in really good condition.  With the cursive lettering in the back, it was a '76 and not a '77.  As it pulled away from me (possibly a 350 V8), it had a rear sway bar.  It was almost exactly like the one in this photo:

1976-cutlass-s-pic.jpg?ssl=1

What were they thinking? Who'd be taking this car with wheel covers and whitewalls into some rugged Western canyon?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

^ I knew about the sloped nose used on the ‘76-77 fastback coupes, but didn’t realize the 4dr was available with it.  Fascinating.  I wonder if there was a wagon with that nose also? 

I am going to say no, but am not 100% sure.  Because they would have had to cant the grille in the Century wagons of the same year!  I think BOP mid-size wagons all had vertical grilles.  For down line models, they were just less trimmed up and hood ornaments may have been omitted.

This is one of the 2 big sales brochure sites- good one to bookmark as these question come up here periodically... and I just don't retain 70's stuff as much as earlier.
https://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch1.html

'77 shows only one mid-size (Cutlass-based) wagon, the Vista Cruiser, and it has a vertical grille.

• Thanks 1

I had forgotten all about these, and how the sedans were handled!  The wagons were handled similarly.

XeSz-XzGqjhFUJzJ3azqKdwEcJFQptJ6G_XsBQ4l

Here, the '76 has more of a uniform eggcrate grille.

buick%201977%20regal-01.jpg

But the '77 has nicer horizontal lines in the grille.  Note that this one is badged as being powered by the V6!

- - - - -

The converse was true for the coupes.  The '76 had a cleaner grille and the '77 had too much horizontal chrome trim at the top of the grille.

It looks like they didn't do much to the sheetmetal of the sedans and wagons in 1973-1977, while they spent a little more money on cleaning up the colonnade coupes in 1976 and 1977.  That investment paid some dividends via big upticks in popularity.

• Agree 1

^ Pretty sure that's why the 'slope nosed' front ends came about- NASCAR. Everybody was running intermediates in that era, and although not exclusive, there were plenty of the 'sloped-nose' cars in speedway racing. 

It's also why the '80s Monte Carlo SS AeroCoupe and the Grand Prix 2+2 were built.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

And with the Buick’s, there were two different coupe front ends.  The Regal had a chrome vertical grille, and the Century and Special 2drs had a sloped back front (and was used in NASCAR). 

Right, so three grilles each year:  sedans and wagons had the one above, Regals, always with a formal roofline, had the vertical Parthenon-like grille, and Century and Special models had the sloped back grille. 

What was interesting is that they made some Century models with the formal roofline and gave them the sloped back grille.  Most of them were trimmed out in a sportier way, with very few trimmed out in up-level cloth and wire wheels.  I could see these models being amended for NASCAR. I vaguely remember that.

Still, my favorite Regal of these 2 years would have been the Regal S/R, by a long shot.

4-18-630x390.jpg

Burgundy (manual windows)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSM8mhAkBArtC2l74k6RjW

Tan (and in a junkyard, per how the door is thrashed)

That trestle shifter was the best of the quadruplets with buckets in those years.

• Agree 1

Saw this yesterday.  I'm going along the interstate in Appalachia.  Coming the other way (north) was a flatbed truck carrying a large object with a familiar shape ... the curved roof, the orange/red/blue striping ... was I dreaming?

It was an old MARTA rail car.  Where was it going?  And why?  Toward PA or upstate NY?  To be recycled or repurposed?  

Then, about 2 minutes later, I saw another one, so I was not dreaming.

I could not possibly take a photo.  But I looked and found the exact same situation, uploaded onto RailPictures-dot-net back in 2006, so a nod to that site and its uploader.  Too funny.

2043.1154750400.jpg

I used to ride this system and these rail cars daily for 2 years in my 20s.

• Like 2

I saw a newish Armada today.  That thing is a bombastic tub of lard.  What were they thinking?

Within half an hour, I saw a Juke, and was studying its ugly and oddly placed lamps.

I realized that Nissan makes some ugly vehicles.

• Agree 1

Good morning for spotting vintage GMs in good shape.  Saw a sharp black w/ black top '75-76 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, a clean brown w/ tan top '78-79 Buick Electra coupe, and a clean bright red late 80s Camaro IROC-Z.   Also saw a sharp bright medium blue C8 Corvette Z51. 

I was in a small town with a historical downtown and, without expecting to see this, there was an informal auto show of sorts on Saturday, August 21.

1) I don't know what this is, but it was ominous ...

KIMG0368.thumb.JPG.26485c93115baca8ad27f0c4f77f036d.JPG

2) I don't know what this is, but it was humorous ...

KIMG0370.thumb.JPG.c962c1302c2cea9e849e951f226eeb21.JPG

KIMG0373.thumb.JPG.61c66de7a76f73430d566788e698844c.JPG

3) Ford Thunderbird ... possibly a '64 (?) ... I didn't ask

KIMG0377.thumb.JPG.8602994a837d2031b26d8a429a552d63.JPG

KIMG0376.thumb.JPG.657d5a2d91cb2a5a57f2d0132dc9c4af.JPG

4) Chevy full-size coupe ... possibly a '61 ... I didn't look to see if it was an Impala, a Biscayne, or a Bel Air ... the original engine was no longer in there; this is a now Chevy 350

KIMG0390.thumb.JPG.6ade97dc5c7d3a527b04d03542edd9a5.JPG

KIMG0394.thumb.JPG.32c93aeb7286a1177e71ab8be928a1da.JPG

5) Cadillac '64 REAR WHEEL DRIVE (the last year for RWD) Eldorado ... WOW ...  the color, one of the "firemist" series, is the one that was originally on the car ... white bench with fold down armrest ... real wood applique ... and 429 V8.  The owner knew the Cadillac brand thoroughly ... from then to now!

KIMG0382.thumb.JPG.474f15eef015d26ea839955e0777da10.JPG

KIMG0386.thumb.JPG.0163257aa203da6032463095e45264d2.JPG

KIMG0384.thumb.JPG.db24cfd81b77040aa7dde17cefb9e88e.JPG

KIMG0391.thumb.JPG.f7392cbfb11baac235167efe94b64524.JPG

End of photos in this post

• Agree 2

This was also at that "car show" on the street and I'm giving it separate billing.  This family had purchased this Buick LeSabre for their son years ago, and it was a family project.

Some humorous things on this one ...

KIMG0395-inked.thumb.jpg.8b3e0f65084a8a6a9954c8e4b8f43212.jpg

I guessed it was either a '77 or a '78.  It is a '79.

KIMG0398.thumb.JPG.c8558b7b899e96835a4e4def4c4b6de8.JPG

Not sure which LeSabre trim level ... probably up from the base model.  Manual windows but air conditioned.  The brushed silver dials on this model were cool, as is the imposing full-size dash, and shared with the Electra and the "grafted on" Riviera on the coupe platform for '77 and '78.  I am not a fan of the dice and never will be.

KIMG0397.thumb.JPG.0dbd06ff2514767a24b4b392abd9c480.JPG

The tray with the shakes and malts is funny.  It screams, "Trans Am ... what's your pleasure?"

KIMG0401.thumb.JPG.be1c40e3cededbcc8d46a1907c06b47e.JPG

This inscription takes the cake!  The engine is original.  Its pulley configuration is Buick.  Even though Olds 350 V8s and Olds 403 V8s made it into these cars, most likely into California bound ones, these folks weren't going to have that, it seemed.  This is the Buick 350 V8.  Affirmative, per the car's owner.

• Agree 2

Then, you'll have sightings like this on the same day to let the air out of the balloon ...

KIMG0538.thumb.JPG.ef7d5dafc46b97112cdd68e747b86867.JPG

Subaru ... at least it wasn't a wagon

KIMG0539.thumb.JPG.ff252b3d4d983076d1792e0ece3ad134.JPG

A boot ... haven't seen one in a long time ... I'm guessing this wasn't the first offense

• Haha 2

^ Some interesting cars there...the humpy lumpy red car w/ the side opening hood is an 40s Buick.   They used that style hood into the 50s.  The Eldorado is a '66 (last year of the RWD Eldorado).   I think the '65-66 Eldorados were convertibles only.  the white Chevy 2dr sedan is a '60, looks like a low trim level--Biscayne or Bel Air I think. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Eldorado was convertible-only from '61-66. 
The one above has aftermarket rub strips down the sides- I always like the Eldos because they don't have that (the lower stainless is factory). Very rare in these years- only 2,250 built in '66.

You can't believe how beautiful the ride is in this era Cadillac; I slipped into a cloud dimension taking this for a spin a few years ago: 

66 S60S 2.jpg

• Agree 2

Spotted August 22

KIMG0555.thumb.JPG.82db173b091547c4facf521ac86bbc3a.JPG

It said Caprice Classic on the rear deck lid, even though it has Impala SS embossed on the rear fenders.  This appears to a 1996 and, with dual exhaust, appears to have the Chevy 5.7L V8 under the hood.  It's a 25 year old car.  People are hanging onto these!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Eldorado was convertible-only from '61-66. 
The one above has aftermarket rub strips down the sides- I always like the Eldos because they don't have that (the lower stainless is factory). Very rare in these years- only 2,250 built in '66.

You can't believe how beautiful the ride is in this era Cadillac; I slipped into a cloud dimension taking this for a spin a few years ago: 

66 S60S 2.jpg

About 10 years ago, I got to ride to lunch in a coworker's '69 Sedan de Ville he inherited from his grandparents.   Silver blue 4dr ht.  We went out to lunch in it, said it was quite different to drive compared to his Camry.  I remember it being very, very quiet and smooth.  Seemed as quiet as a modern luxury car...and vast and empty inside w/ bench seats.  Lots of hood to look out over...

Edited by Robert Hall

Spotted August 25

KIMG0556-inked.thumb.jpg.b6e90cba5163ccb42b86f942fad0d9d0.jpg

Based on the size of the lettering of the Oldsmobile badge in the back, this is anywhere from a 2000 to a 2002 model Intrigue.  If original, it definitely has the 3.5 L high feature (all aluminum - block and head) V6 in those years.  So, this is a 19 to 21 year old car that's holding up reasonably well.  I remember when I was set on buying an Intrigue!  I miss not snagging a very last Olds vehicle, but am also happy that I put it off and have a dependable car with the even better Series III 3800 V6.

Spotted August 26 while doing errands

KIMG0564.thumb.JPG.b22ffe76a6d6fbf8527bc0a55d77c803.JPG

Taken while outside

KIMG0565.thumb.JPG.9959560eaeab78c479c78f6706947a46.JPG

From the inside, as it began to drive off ... got it.

- - - - -

Is the grass always greener?  In this case, the wallet is for sure.

5 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Spotted August 22

KIMG0555.thumb.JPG.82db173b091547c4facf521ac86bbc3a.JPG

It said Caprice Classic on the rear deck lid, even though it has Impala SS embossed on the rear fenders.  This appears to a 1996 and, with dual exhaust, appears to have the Chevy 5.7L V8 under the hood.  It's a 25 year old car.  People are hanging onto these!

THAT is a mystery waiting to be solved...

Its got Caprice mags.  

I dont know what the face looks like, but it does look like its got a hood ornament.  The rear quarters DO say Impala SS and the C Pillar has that Impala SS kink. 

1991-96 Chevrolet Caprice/Impala SS | Consumer Guide Auto

The Caprice had that triangular peak.

Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1991–93 wallpapers (1024x768)

But wait on a second...

From I think 1995, the Caprice ditched that C Pillar design and gained the Impala kink and the lights in the back...

1995 Chevrolet Caprice for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1249474

And so in that mystery pick...we could see that the lights have chrome around them and the Impala SS was DEVOID of chrome trim in the backlights. 

Best Scooby Doo Villain GIFs | Gfycat

I think that this car was a Caprice and was accidented and was repaired with Impala SS  rear fenders .

Dooby Doo GIFs | Tenor

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

The gold car is a Caprice that someone inexplicably added Impala SS badges to.  The quarter window opening was changed in '95 so the '95-96 Caprice Impala SS both had that 'kink'...(the '94 Impala SS had some plastic there).  Those look like '91-92 Caprice LTZ wheels. 

The real Impala SS was only available a few colors--black, dark red, and a gray blue IIRC...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

@oldshurst442 and @Robert Hall - I like the kink in the rear sail panel.  The treatment in 1994, and before, was ugly.  That's what some friends of my parents must have had.  It was a big white base model that was a "hippo on wheels," as I've heard them called. 

Caprices of the '90s had to be the right year, the right colors, and trimmed out in certain ways to make them attractive sedans.