Are the experts impressed by the RDX?

Variance

Are the experts impressed by the RDX?

Posted Image

Welcome to the most overstyled Acura ever: the RDX. The SUV competition to the BMW X3. It's off to a good start; it murders the X3 in looks (and neither one is a beauty queen). Powered by Acura's newest powertrain, a 2.3-liter turbo four-pot, see if the RDX has go to match the show.

Read "An "urban running back" that’s not too far out of the pocket" @ The Car Connection

the RDX has a turbo 4, likely to share parts with the CR-V? They will never make a 6 cyl. CR-V.......so the only way for Honda to upscale the RDX over the CRV was to turbo it.

a 4000 pound small turbo vehicle that can't crack 20 mpg on the EPA cycle.

awesome interior though.

shame that it looks so much like the new RAV4 and Outlander.

Edited by regfootball

awesome interior though.

Isn't it, though? Shame GM can't get their interiors looking that good. Nope, every model across every division gets the same damn corporate radio. Woohoo! Good job on mediocrity, GM! Integrated radio and HVAC controls are SO last year! :rolleyes:

The 4 cyllinder engine will be a huge drawback to people looking to buy a $35,000 car.  The interior looks pretty disjointed, with lots of whacky buttons all over the place.

I think some people will see the word "turbo" and somehow translate it into being more expensive or luxurious because of AMG. Honestly, I would probably want the turbo I4 over a V6 but a V6 should be offered. It is like not having a V8 for your luxury car...bad.

The 4 cyllinder engine will be a huge drawback to people looking to buy a $35,000 car. 

yup. Honda screwed the pooch with that move. Platform sharing gone bad. The CRV was not to get a v6. Still the press will find a way to spin it into a car of the year award or something.

yup.  Honda screwed the pooch with that move.  Platform sharing gone bad.  The CRV was not to get a v6.  Still the press will find a way to spin it into a car of the year award or something.

Do people really need a V6 in a small SUV like the CRV? The new 4 cyl will be bumped up to 170hp or more, and will probably have a modest tow rating for its size and class (thanks to the gearing). The RAV4 is just Toyota saying "Hey, we can shuv a giant V6 engine into a little SUV and make it go fast, why don't you buy it? It's only 30k".

The 4 cyllinder engine will be a huge drawback to people looking to buy a $35,000 car.

*Cough*Cough* MDX *Cough*. The 4cyl Turbo puts out the same amount of TQ as the V6 would have, but is more compact and fits with a smaller SUV better.

The interior looks pretty disjointed, with lots of whacky buttons all over the place.

Dag nabit! Look at them there WACKY interior buttons! Woowee! I'll take me 1976 Chevy truck over dat any day, only got one nob to control everything!

Do people really need a V6 in a small SUV like the CRV? The new 4 cyl will be bumped up to 170hp or more, and will probably have a modest tow rating for its size and class (thanks to the gearing). The RAV4 is just Toyota saying "Hey, we can shuv a giant V6 engine into a little SUV and make it go fast, why don't you buy it? It's only 30k".

Better yet, why doesn't Honda offer its 205hp 2.4l from the TSX as the 'base' engine, leaving the turbo an option? The fact that it sounds like its geared so low for low-end power that it boosts everytime the throttle is depressed is discouraging to me.

Better yet, why doesn't Honda offer its 205hp 2.4l from the TSX as the 'base' engine, leaving the turbo an option? The fact that it sounds like its geared so low for low-end power that it boosts everytime the throttle is depressed is discouraging to me.

The 2.4L TSX engine wouldn't be powerful enough for the RDX, and Honda will probably stick to their guns by only offering one engine per model for Acura (with the exception of the out-going RSX).

And they could put the 200hp 2.4L into the CRV, but then they would have to charge more for it, consider upping the power of the Pilot to 270hp or so, and also most of that power is made in the upper rpm's, not where an SUV needs it (which is another reason why it woudn't be good for the RDX, and why the RDX 2.3L Turbo has a very low rpm powerband, resulting in lower peak HP but better power in the low rpms).

I think some people will see the word "turbo" and somehow translate it into being more expensive or luxurious because of AMG.  Honestly, I would probably want the turbo I4 over a V6 but a V6 should be offered.  It is like not having a V8 for your luxury car...bad.

Did somebody say "Acura RL" ?... :stupid:

Apparently the "Super Handling All Wheel Drive" isn't so super either.

And they could put the 200hp 2.4L into the CRV, but then they would have to charge more for it, consider upping the power of the Pilot to 270hp or so, and also most of that power is made in the upper rpm's, not where an SUV needs it (which is another reason why it woudn't be good for the RDX, and why the RDX 2.3L Turbo has a very low rpm powerband, resulting in lower peak HP but better power in the low rpms).

One has to hope then that the power gets delivered in a metered and controlled fashion. Power delivery and Acura don't always mix well (torque steer).

Did somebody say "Acura RL" ?...  :stupid:

Apparently the "Super Handling All Wheel Drive" isn't so super either.

Oh yeah, whatever happened to that? Honda built that up to be the greatest thing in the world. :lol:

Anyhoo, I'm not a fan of this--inside or out. The inside is too sterile for my taste, and the steering wheels that Honda/Acura like to employ in their new vehicles makes me want to wrech.

But kudos to them for taking on a Bimmer and succeeding (as it seems).

CRV, sure. the RDX, no. its FOUR THOUSAND POUNDS and the same size as the mid sized CX-7. 4 popper is not good enough.

*Cough*Cough* MDX *Cough*. The 4cyl Turbo puts out the same amount of TQ as the V6 would have, but is more compact and fits with a smaller SUV better.

Dag nabit! Look at them there WACKY interior buttons! Woowee! I'll take me 1976 Chevy truck over dat any day, only got one nob to control everything!

a honda 6 would be smoother than a honda 4.

One has to hope then that the power gets delivered in a metered and controlled fashion. Power delivery and Acura don't always mix well (torque steer).

In the current TL, yeh maybe, but that's about it. Never heard of torque steer in the TSX or RSX. This RDX uses a system similar to the SH-AWD in the RL, except it is a slightly toned down version. It can still transfer up to 70% of the power to one rear wheel, but it can't over accelerate a rear wheel like the RL can.

SH-AWD is a very sophisticated AWD system, specially the one in the RL. Nobody really cares though because Honda has never put it into a sporty lightweight car.

I've owned an Acura - loved it. Owned several Hondas, too.

THAT being said, this thing is goofy looking & overpriced. I don't mind goofy lookiing - you get used to that when you look like me, but overpriced I don't like.

THAT being said, this thing is goofy looking & overpriced.  I don't mind goofy lookiing - you get used to that when you look like me, but overpriced I don't like.

that's going to require a post in the "Pictures!" thread......