Saturn will import Opel wagon

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...20of%20Contents

General Motors plans to add a second European-built model to Saturn's product lineup in the United States.

The next-generation Opel Vectra wagon will be imported and sold as a Saturn, senior GM sources in Europe say. The target is 50,000 units annually, beginning in 2008 or 2009.

The mid-sized wagon will be assembled in Ruesselsheim, Germany, using GM's next-generation, front-wheel-drive Epsilon platform.

Interviewed at the British Motor Show, GM Europe President Carl-Peter Forster said "a final decision has not been made" on exporting the Vectra wagon to the United States. But Forster said the plan would be feasible. He said the future Vectra sedan and the wagon will use the next-generation Epsilon vehicle architecture.

"An export version would not require any additional expenditure," he said, because "for the first time (the Vectra) is based on a global component architecture."

That architecture will be used for vehicles sold in Europe, the United States and elsewhere, including the next-generation Saab 9-3, Pontiac G6 and Aura.

The Saturn Aura sedan that goes on sale this fall is based on the current- generation Epsilon architecture.

The Vectra wagon will become the second Opel import in Saturn's lineup. Beginning in 2007, GM will replace the Saturn Ion with rebadged Opel Astras, aiming to sell as many as 45,000 units annually. The fwd Astra is about the size of a Ford Focus.

The imported Vectra wagon will offer all-wheel drive and a V-6 engine, says Jim Hall, vice president of industry analysis at AutoPacific Inc. in Southfield, Mich.

Hall said Saturn's marketing team is now determining whether to launch the vehicle as a premium model, basically the wagon version of the upcoming Aura sedan, or as a "quasi off-road version." The 2007 Aura introduces the styling themes for the upcoming Vectra wagon.

Youd be surprised how many older folks miss the S- and L-Series wagons.

I don't understand the 45,000 units reference. It appears to be in reference to the Astra, which seems to be lowballing it extrodinarily. If it refers to the Vectra wagon, it seems reasonable. We're talking $3500/month.

I'm sure the Astra and the Vectra replacement will do well here and the only reason GM is not exporting more is obviously to keep the UAW from having a fit. I wouldn't be surprised if Saturn only imported 45,000 units though I'm sure the dealers want more.

I can only assume that because the wagon will show up, this proves to all the naysayers that the next Aura will be a rebadged Vectra (like Cspec said). Though, I'm sure everyone here knew that was going to happen. I'm hoping the next Signum hatchba...er.. um.. 5 door will show up too. Maxx owners would like that one more.

Edited by Cadillacfan

This is great that Epsilion 2 is going to come out so soon. That means that the G6 and Aura should get EPS 2 2009 or 2010 at latest because the new Accord sedan is coming out this spring I believe it has a new 3.2 IVTEC dIRECT Injection engine that puts out 280 horspower because their current v 6 engines ar fifteen years old.

stillen

Sounds good, but a couple questions: will it be stylish (unlike the current Vectra, as boring as a European, American, or Asian vehicle can be)? And what's the seats-down cargo capacity of the current LWB Vectra wagon? I think Chevy Malibu should also have a station wagon-a real wagon-the Maxx is a 5-door hatchback sedan.

Can someone clarify the proposed timeline for me? The current Aura is out so when is the next-gen Aura going to be here? I hope the wagon is going to launch alongside the next-gen Aura and not before it. It would seem weird, IMO, and would mess up the model introductions/generations. Am I making sense?

Since the NG Aura is just a rebadged Vectra, I think this is a perfectly fine idea. 45,000 units a year seems high though.

173817[/snapback]

No it isn't, apart front similar frontal themes the styling is completely different. Perhaps the next generation Aura will be a Vectra rebadge, as the "lets make Saturn Opel" idea came too late to change the Aura more than just superficial styling front and rear. Edited by FunkyPig

No it isn't, apart front similar frontal themes the styling is completely different. Perhaps the next generation Aura will be a Vectra rebadge, as the "lets make Saturn Opel" idea came too late to change the Aura more than just superficial styling front and rear.

173941[/snapback]

That's what I said; NG means "next generation".

Other than as a simple stopgap, this doesn't make much sense. To sell volume in the American market, vehicles must be assembled here. Opel means nothing in this market; the Catera was a flop because why would anyone wanting a Caddy buy a rebadged Opel? I, and many others, buy GM because we want to buy American. GM will be making a huge mistake by alienating that considerable segment of its customer base.

I, and many others, buy GM because we want to buy American.    GM will be making a huge mistake by alienating that considerable segment of its customer base.

175351[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying, but I think that concept applies far less to Saturn than, say, Chevy.

The "European" element is what is going to save Saturn. Importing a few low-volume products only adds credibility, significantly, to that appeal.

In other words, they absolutely have to import some stuff from Europe to make this image more believable, and they absolutely have to trumpet it from the rooftops each time the cargo ship docks. The UAW's Gettlefinger (or whatever the name of that genius is) doesn't have the mental capacity to realize this, but I think most of the membership does.

One of the worst things that could happen (and it's gonna happen unless GM fixes its relationship with the media) is that every review of the Aura mentions that the Malibu is it's platform-mate. The opposite, obviously, is referral to the 9-3. No Passat buyer is going to even test-drive a reskinned Malibu.

(Making a HUGE generalization here, but it's been said here before by others) Saturn buyers (think: Whole Foods) are not Chevy buyers (think: Super WalMart).

Any guesses on what they'll call it?

Maybe they'll give it a different name instead of AURA Wagon?

(cuz that sounds stupid)

If this is importated, and the NG AURA is made here, is it possible they will have some different sheetmetal as well as mechanicals, and as a result they market as a "different vehicle" and not just a wagon version?