H3 SUT Nabbed!

RJB

The H3 SUT has been caught at the Baja 1000 doing some testing. The hideousness of this vehicle will haunt my dreams forever!! I really hope this thing is going to look alot better than this, but the giant rearend tells me otherwise. The H4 can't come soon enough.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/29/spy-sho...t-at-baja-1000/

Edited by RJB

Surely you guys realize that "fastback" cap thing is all camo....

Nope, it's like every other thread where a pre-production mule

with over-sized houndstooth print all over it, trashbags, foam,

canvas & other camo. covering any & all details will be

annalized as if it was a new car sitting on a showroof floor with

a MSRP sticker in the left-rear window. :rolleyes:

Useless waste of time and energy.

They should have made it off the Colorado/Canyon ext. cab or more like the showcar.

A little more downmarket, yes---but noone's clamoring for this type of vehicle....the total market for this thing is shrinking by the day...

A ~22k Hummer pickup, whether it be regular cab or double for around $25k, would probably do half or more of the volume of Colorado, regardless of acutal towing/payload capabilities. With this model it wouldn't be an extreme necessity to protect the exclusivity of the brand. It's kind of like 3-series to BMW, not a ton of exclusivity there, but because it's part of a bigger brand name of luxurious pricey cars, the 3-series itself gets elevated.

I don't see why the concept H3T isn't fully producable, with a regular cab, and the complete interior trimmings it had, and exterior equipment/trimmings, for around $24k. That would the mark that would hit massive exposure. I could imagine many hip trendsetters choosing that over a similarly priced luxury crossover/small compact.

Edited by turbo200

YD:

I was not making fun of you or talking about your post, it's just

that this always happens, people will assume that any and all

camouflage will stay on the vehicle into production, even if it's

a chunky piece of foam duct-taped to the headlights.

Guest YellowJacket894

From the looks of it, this is essentially what the Explorer Sport Trac is to the regular Explorer, especially it's design and execution.

I don't like it. I do like the sound of a $24 grand production version of the H3T concept we seen in '04, however. That would go over very well, I think.

I was skeptical of this vehicle to begin with, but after seeing these pics, I'm starting to come around. It looks like it has a longer bed than most SUTs; that will make this vehicle very versatile and useful. I could see GM getting rid of the Canyon in favor of this. Slightly more upmarket which opens room for the Colorado to do more volume and it would give GM a chance to do the vehicle right the first time instead of having to fix the Canyon and change buyers' current perceptions. Also, with the direction GMC is going (more CUVs), Hummer seems like it is the more credible brand for this vehicle.

Just forget about producing the h3 sut, it should have been out in 06 or early 07, its just too late. gas is $3 or more per gallon and the h3 been out for 3 years how about an refresh of the interior??? Jeep commader has a better dash. Just give the canyon/colorado the hummer treatment and be done

I agree about the H3T, why build it? Keep the regular H3, come out with the H4 and dump the H2's already!! On top of that give the H3's a mild makeover, introduce the V8 across the board, and give the option of fulltime 4wd or partime 4wd...'NUFF SAID!!

Edited by RJB

Just forget about producing the h3 sut, it should have been out in 06 or early 07, its just too late. gas is $3 or more per gallon and the h3 been out for 3 years how about an refresh of the interior??? Jeep commader has a better dash. Just give the canyon/colorado the hummer treatment and be done

I can see on the surface this seems like a poorly choiced release time, but look at all the other luxury/niche makes, and they keep churning out the gas guzzlers, and people keep snapping em up for the image. We need to face it that we are a shallow society and are seeking expression in our vehicles, which is cool, it's an okay thing. I think as long as that is the goal, seeking self-expression, then it's a good thing.

Beyond that thoguh, I agree completely about the lack of sophistication in the Hummer's interior. Hummer needs to be a direct competitor with Land Rover for coolness, sophistication, ruggedness, and desirability. Right now, all Land Rovers are way cooler inside, but I think Hummer wins the battle with exterior design, except for the all mighty Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. So chock one for the H3. But H3 seriously needs an interior upgrade, it cannot continue to sell on exterior alone, because this is hurting Hummer's image. It's not being taken seriously as a boutique luxury brand, like LR.

With every product intro, carmakers have a serious opportunity at redirecting the brand and building image and awareness. the H3T is a perfect opportunity to reach a base they haven't yet, the young affluent buyer, unmarried/childless, looking for an image vehicle, practicality be damned, and not looking to spend more than 30k.

Hummer could look to redirect the brand in a more society-conscious image. Launch the H3T with diesels, dual-mode hybrid, or at least BAS, and a regular V8, again possibly with BAS standard. Redirecting the goals of exterior and interior design towards something that retains the level of flash but goes for even more detail-oriented expense is important. Go balls-out with the inteiror and exterior, that's what I mean by transferring the great elements from the concept. Just don't cheapen the car, inside or out, transfer the level of execution that's even on the small triplet concept cars.

It's all about execution these days. that's what builds a brand.

Edited by turbo200

Hummer sales are down %30. So in my eyes why add fuel to the fire by putting more models in the lineup? Like I said before, eliminate the H2, if you must, come out with the H3T, keep the regular H3, and of course let's get the much anticipated H4 going out the door onto the sales floor already!! I agree throw in more powertrain options too. If and when the diesel comes out this is a step in the right direction, but this is still a long ways out.

Edited by RJB

Hummer sales are down %30. So in my eyes why add fuel to the fire by putting more models in the lineup? Like I said before, eliminate the H2, if you must, come out with the H3T, keep the regular H3, and of course let's get the much anticipated H4 going out the door onto the sales floor already!! I agree throw in more powertrain options too. If and when the diesel comes out this is a step in the right direction, but this is still a long ways out.

Why get rid of the H2? They just fixed what has been wrong about it, the interior. It doesn't get as bad of mileage as people think it does. My cousin has one with the 6.0L in it, and gets almost as good of mileage as I do in my Suburban with the 5.3. With the 6.2 in it now, it would be one hell of a machine. I would love to own one some day.

Trying towing with any trailer, you will get 5-10mpg. I know, because I spent 12hrs in one on a trip back from Canada with a snowmobile trailer. One of the most uncomfortable back seats I've ever experienced, and we were not speeding to get that mileage! Maybe they have upgraded the seats since then, I don't know, but you couldn't pay me to sit back there again. I'm just not a fan of the H2 at all, I do like the H3 and I would consider one of those way before ever getting an H2.

Got to drive an H3 the other day (base model) it wasnt too bad... we will have to wait and see of course... but with that V8 instead of the 6 and the truck bed that can fit a piece of 6x4 plywood.... its not looking too shabby

Trying towing with any trailer, you will get 5-10mpg. I know, because I spent 12hrs in one on a trip back from Canada with a snowmobile trailer. One of the most uncomfortable back seats I've ever experienced, and we were not speeding to get that mileage! Maybe they have upgraded the seats since then, I don't know, but you couldn't pay me to sit back there again. I'm just not a fan of the H2 at all, I do like the H3 and I would consider one of those way before ever getting an H2.

How heavy of a trailer, because when I tow our 4 place loaded down with sleds, I get at least that bad of mileage as well. You have to remember also that the 6.0 L in there before gets piss poor mileage in anything that it is in usually. To me the mileage crap is BS. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but everyone gripes about the H2 mileage.

• 2 weeks later...