2006 NAIAS: Acura RDX Prototype

Turbocharged Acura RDX Prototype Debuts at North American International Auto Show

Sporty SUV features Acura's First-Ever Turbocharged Engine and Super Handling-AWD

DETROIT 01/09/2006 -- The highly anticipated Acura RDX Prototype SUV debuted today at the North American International Auto Show. Combining sport utility with sports sedan handling and performance, RDX features an innovative 2.3-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine, Acura's exclusive Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™), and is designed to redefine the entry premium SUV segment. This near-production prototype provides an advance preview of the all-new RDX that will go on sale this summer.

"The RDX Prototype represents the forward thinking that will be seen in the next generation of Acura light trucks," said John Mendel, senior vice president, Auto Operations. "It is loaded with leading edge technology and it exemplifies what we call intelligent performance: a sporty, luxurious and functional SUV that has outstanding performance yet is also fuel efficient."

RDX features an all-new 2.3-liter i-VTEC® four-cylinder turbocharged engine that generates 240 horsepower and 260 lbs-ft of torque. This is the first application of forced induction technology in Acura history. The revolutionary i-VTEC Turbo technology uses a variable flow turbocharger, which is exclusive to the RDX, and provides dramatic performance benefits while maintaining excellent fuel efficiency. To complement the all-aluminum high-performance engine, the RDX utilizes Acura's steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters to manually operate the 5-speed sequential SportShift™ automatic transmission.

Acura's Super Handling-AWD system is tuned specifically for the new RDX platform. SH-AWD's sophisticated electronic controls automatically distribute torque fore and aft, as well as splitting the rear torque left to right. The result is dramatically enhanced handling, traction and stability during sporty driving as well as in inclement weather. A sophisticated chassis with fully independent front and rear suspension complement the SH-AWD. Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) combines with large disc brakes and ABS to enhance control.

The RDX is built on an all-new global light truck platform. Reflecting Acura's commitment to safety through innovation, the RDX is equipped with the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure and additional state-of-the-art safety features. The ACE structure helps to disperse collision forces over a larger frontal area. The system also helps to provide enhanced protection for vehicle occupants while at the same time increasing compatibility with other vehicles in a frontal collision. Front, side and side curtain airbags, in addition to rollover sensors add an extra measure of safety.

The chiseled exterior styling combines with a generous greenhouse to provide excellent visibility for driving in city traffic or on twisty mountain roads. RDX employs a compact upper body with an aggressively raked belt line, sporty wheel flares and a substantial hood that flows down from the windshield to an aggressive Acura signature five-sided grill. Custom 19-inch alloy wheels give the RDX Prototype an aggressive stance. Dual exhaust tips, HID headlights, and a rear spoiler add to the sporty appearance of the vehicle.

Inside, the RDX combines richly appointed materials with a sporty, driver-oriented cockpit. The center console features an innovative storage system, which allows for hidden and lockable storage of a briefcase or laptop computer. The prototype's interior features an assortment of leading-edge technologies, such as the Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, AcuraLink™ satellite communication system with real time traffic and HandsFreeLink™ wireless telephone interface. A premium Acura/ELS™ DVD-Audio system is tuned to deliver rich surround sound to the cabin.

The RDX offers seating for five and a versatile rear cargo hatch allows for easy load-in and storage. The second row seats split and fold flat into the floor, providing ample cargo space for an active, on-the-go lifestyle.

The RDX will be assembled at Honda of America Manufacturing in Marysville, Ohio and will go on-sale in the summer of 2006. Pricing has not been determined.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Source: Honda News

Guest YellowJacket894

That thing is disgusting. Espicially the grille.

Reminds me of the Civic sedan I seen in traffic today. It was the first one I've actually seen in a week (hopefully, they're selling like cold cakes). Everything was so out of proportion and then there was that buck toothed grille. I mean, it looked like a big, fat, pissed off beaver. And this looks the same way: the oversized "A" logo set in a piss ant sized grille and it suffers from "nose-too-short-humpbacked" syndrome.

Pitiful. But I actually want to see more design distasters like this come from Honda and Toyota. They want to shake the "granny panties" image so bad, they're willing to put the most ugly crap on the road. All I can say is keep up the "good" work, Toyota and Honda. (You make GM products look 100 times better by comparison.)

This is one of those I had to see in the flesh to think it looked ok. I saw the images first though and hated them. Saw it in person and went "oh not too bad"

They'll sell a ton of these.

BTW even though the SH-AWD is s stupid name, the system in the RL is really pretty stellar. that's an underrated car.

This is one of those I had to see in the flesh to think it looked ok. I saw the images first though and hated them. Saw it in person and went "oh not too bad"

BTW even though the SH-AWD is s stupid name, the system in the RL is really pretty stellar. that's an underrated car.

OH, you are right they will sell every one. But you know, I don't find the MDX particularly attractive EITHER....never have.

I think the RDX interior is pretty cool looking. BUT, I'll take a new CX-7 ANY day of the week over this Acura......"Mazda" badge or not.....it's a far classier-looking design to my eye.

The exterior looks like an SUV version of the RL. I would have liked it to wear to TL's face (or at least closer to the TL than RL). The interior reminds me of the Range Rover with the center stack "dissapering" for a little while.

GM's 2.0L turbo Ecotec outpowers the VTEC 2.3L turbo. What is the press gonna do about that?

GM's 2.0L turbo Ecotec outpowers the VTEC 2.3L turbo. What is the press gonna do about that?

260 TQ out of the 2.3L is pretty darn good for an economy Turbo engine. I still want to see the mileage ratings and other specs, but I think Honda may have done a really good job with this engine (being their first Turbo in America).

With the HP only being rated at 240, the TQ must die off pretty early around 4.5-5krpms. I would love to see a dynochart of this engine, since it's pretty opposite of what Honda has ever done before here. I'm pretty sure nobody will be complaining about low end power when they drive this thing.

Compare it to the Volvo XC90 2.5T, which is a 2.5L Turbo, and only makes 208 HP and 236 TQ. The RDX will probably be priced in the mid 30k as well, so it will have plenty of competition.

"Acura's exclusive Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™),"

They trademarked this?

Apparently they did. And yes... it is Super! :lol:

I did see it in person, and while it almost made it on my "oh not too bad" list, it still begs the question WTF!

The RDX makes zero sense as an acura. It's as if somebody wasted time/money/effort designing this for honda, figured out honda had no room it it's line-up, and just gave it to acura.

This has just as much of a place in Acura's lineup as Cadillac's upcoming BRX.

This is the first Acura in quite some time that doesn't impress me from a styling standpoint.

This is the first Acura in quite some time that doesn't impress me from a styling standpoint.

Yes, same place in the hierarchy.... the BRX and RDX are targeting the X3...I assume Lexus will have a model in there eventually, below the RX...and Merc is likely going to have an MLK eventually.

You think the media will bash the guage pod and compare it to the last Grand Am's pods?.....Nah!

The RDX is more pod like, whereas the Grand Am's was more integrated (and only 2 "pods"). I'm not sure if I really like the side view of the RDX's interior (driver's view is great), but it definately isn't close enough to the old Grand Am's to really worry about.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I probably should have been a little more clear in my comment. It doesn't look like an acura. It's not classy and refined like the rest of the line-up. Its design aspects look out of place.

I probably should have been a little more clear in my comment.  It doesn't look like an acura.  It's not classy and refined like the rest of the line-up.  Its design aspects look out of place.

The front fascia is too busy... the other Acuras have pretty clean front ends...

Guest YellowJacket894

What's up with the word "prototype" written on all of the photos? It still won't hide the fact this thing is a pretty bad styling disaster.