Drew Dowdell

Acura Launches Handcrafted PMC Edition TLX in New York

...Handbuilt in the same facility as the NSX..

Acura is releasing the new Acura TLX PMC Edition at the New York International Auto Show next week.  The PMC Edition combines the sports prowess of the A-Spec line with the premium technical features of the Advance Package.   It will also share the super high-tech nano paint technology used on the NSX which takes a total time of 5 days in the paint shop.

Built in Marysville Ohio, the TLX PMC Edition will be handcrafted by the same engineers who build the Acura NSX. Equipped with the direct injected V6 and SH-AWD, the limited production run cars will start around $50,000.

tlx_nsx_gif.gif

Some of the PMC exclusive features are:

• Valencia Red Pearl nano pigment paint
    • Unique PMC Edition numbered serial plaque
    • Gloss black 19-inch split-5-spoke wheels with black lug nuts
    • Gloss black roof panel
    • Gloss black door handles
    • Gloss black diamond pentagon grille with body-colored grille surround
    • Dual 4-inch black chrome exhaust finishers
    • Premium black Milano leather seats with Alcantara™ inserts, black piping and red stitching
    • Perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel with red stitching and paddle shifters
    • Red stitching on door panel, center console, and armrest
    • Premium floormats with metal A-Spec badging

The TLX PMC Edition goes on sale Summer 2019 with an MDX version to follow. We'll have more for you about the Acura TLX PMC Edition from the New York International Auto Show on April 17th.

Source: Acura Media

WOW 😮 We get an Acura PMC TLX SH-AWD SH-AWS with special paint. :P

I think Acura could get a few more letters on the back. :lol:

WOW 😮 We get an Acura PMC TLX SH-AWD SH-AWS with special paint. :P

I think Acura could get a few more letters on the back. :lol:

Well, it's also hand built and has all of the top possible packages that otherwise can't be mixed together today.  So it really is an ultimate TLX.   I saw a TLX coming at me the other day at dusk and it really does have a striking face with those headlights.

I will say it does look quite cool...color and all!

Basically a grown up ricer’s dream car.. 🙂 But I bet it is fun to drive though!

14 minutes ago, loki said:

" Dual 4-inch black chrome exhaust finishers "

damn.

Wish Cadillac would realize that not everyone wants normal chrome. Just think of a Platinum edition Escalade all in Black Chrome. :metal:

Premium floormats with metal A-Spec badging

Now I really need to get one!

I wish that "hand built engine" would have more power than the standard TLX.  It looks nice but without any performance upgrades it is just a poser package.

A lot of that is on Cadillac's accessory page tho.. including black chrome exhaust. And Midnight Silver is really Black Chrome imo.

U know what's crazy? I didn't realize that U could get the Sport Edition Escalade in Red Passion Tintcoat, Satin Steel Metallic or Black Raven. I thought it only came in Black til I was just on the accessory page.

maxresdefault.jpg

640X640SMF.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

maxresdefault.jpg

640X640SMF.jpg

Red Passion Tintcoat with Black Chrome would be AWESOME! :metal:

Red Passion Tintcoat with Black Chrome would be AWESOME! :metal:

Pretty much what Catherina is dressed in right now LOL. I'm just too cheap to darken the grille

20180406_195230.jpg

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Now I really need to get one!

They really need that rumoured turbo 6 ready for the next gen of this car and their CUV's..

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

They still make Acuras?

Yup just like They still make A,B & C Mercedes? 😮

Yup just like They still make A,B & C Mercedes? 😮

The A and C Mercedes sell, the TLX, not so much.

The A and C Mercedes sell, the TLX, not so much.

Could not prove that by me, E and S are the bulk of what I see in the PNW and of course all the variations of their CUVs especially the bargain basement GLA CUVs that are everywhere and are driven bloody slow especially the AMG version.

I have never seen an A in the wild and the C while popular maybe 10 years ago, I rarely see any now, if I see one, once a month that is surprising here.

A-class/GLA/CLA sold about 400,000 units world wide last year and C-class was near 500,000 I  think.  Plenty of volume there, E-class was around 350,000.

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Love how you are mixing the numbers up again as I talk US and you go to World Wide sales to attempt to Justify the numbers.

US Sales Numbers

C-Class 2018 sold 60,410 down from the 77,446 in 2017.

CLA 2018 sold 22,556 up from 20,669 in 2017.

GLA 2018 sold 24,136 up from 24,104 in 2017 but just barely, stagnate most would say.

A-class 2018 sold ZERO in the US. Will be first year for this model in 2019.

BUICK CUV's out sell the GLA each one beats it, seems plenty of other nice cars beat the C & A too. Toyota seems to have no problem doing this at those price points.

US Sales Numbers

C-Class 2018 sold 60,410 down from the 77,446 in 2017.

CLA 2018 sold 22,556 up from 20,669 in 2017.

A-class 2018 sold ZERO in the US. Will be first year for this model in 2019.

And how is the TLX selling?  Especially since it is made in USA for USA and they don't have much global volume off it, if any.

TLX was down 12.6% in 2018 and it is down 21.6% YTD.   They sold 30,000 of them in 2018, they'll probably be lucky to get 25,000 sales this year.  And that is pretty much their only sedan now.

MB only sold 22K CLAs in 2018 competing against the TLX, so the TLX is obviously the better car.

I mean; if you're looking for a FWD premium small sedan, why go with a copy?

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

What is the point your trying to make when the TLX 30,000 beats the CLA 22,556 handsomely?

Remember, throwing stones in glass houses is not a good thing.

Remember, throwing stones in glass houses is not a good thing.

ILX is a CLA competitor.  TLX competes with C-class.

ILX is a CLA competitor.  TLX competes with C-class.

TLX & CLA have the exact same starting MSRP - your standard metric for deciding what competes with what.

And being that's the case, the sales scenario where more buyers are choosing the TLX over the CLA is pretty damning.

Edited by balthazar

Yeah, I'm sure people were beating Acura dealer doors down for a hand built 50K TLX. Just offer the stupid Pkg on an A-Spec and be done with it.

For the past decade, Acura has felt lost at sea. Not sure of what it wanted to be as a brand. This was shown by mixed messaging in their lineup as they weren’t sure to focus on luxury, technology, or sport. This muddled mess of identities would cause a fair amount of issues. But in the past couple of years, Acura started to get its act together thanks in part to new leadership. The first fruits of their efforts came last year in the form of the third-generation RDX.
      It has been over two years since I last drove an Acura, so when the opportunity for an RDX A-Spec landed on my desk, I took it with both hands. It was time to see what Acura has been up to and if they’re taking a step in the right direction.
      You Want Presence? You Got It!
      The RDX is the first production model to feature Acura’s newest design language and its no shrinking violet. The front end draws your attention with a large trapezoidal grille paired with a massive Acura emblem. Sitting on either side is Acura’s Jewel-Eye LED headlights that add a distinctive touch. My A-Spec tester takes it further with distinctive front and rear bumpers, 20-inch alloy wheels finished in black, and a special Apex Blue Pearl color that is only available on this trim. This crossover garnered a lot of looks during the week I had, something I hadn’t experience in quite some time.
      Cozy, Polarizing Interior
      The RDX’s interior captures the feeling of being in a sports car with a symmetrical dashboard design that cocoons the front passengers. A rotary drive-mode selector found in the center stack echos the design found in the NSX supercar. While it does emphasize the sporty nature of the vehicle, the position of the knob does make the climate controls a bit hard to reach. A-Spec models have some special touches such as red contrast stitching, a suede panel on the passenger side of the dashboard, and new trim for the instrument cluster that help it stand out. Material and build quality are quite close to some competitors from Germany.
      A set of sport seats with increased bolstering and power adjustments come standard on the A-Spec. I found them to be quite comfortable for any trip length and were able to hold me if I decided to be a bit enthusiastic. Back seat passengers will be plenty comfortable with an abundance of head and legroom. I would have like to see the back seat be able to slide forward and back to offer more comfort. Cargo space is towards the top of the class with 29.5 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 58.9 when folded. There’s also a little storage nook under the cargo floor to stash valuables.
      Intuitive Infotainment?
      Acura’s previous infotainment system drew a lot of ire from people. The dual-screen layout was confusing as some functions were split between the two screens such as changing the audio input. Not helping was the two different control methods for this setup; touchscreen for the bottom portion and a controller for the top screen. Thankfully, Acura has introduced a new infotainment system for the RDX. A large 10.2-inch screen sits on top of the dash and is controlled by a touchpad on the center console. Seeing the touchpad for the first time sent chills down my spine as I thought back to my frustrating experiences with Lexus’ Touchpad Controller. But Acura says this controller is much easier and logical to use than competitors. Okay, challenge accepted.
      Acura’s touchpad controller is slightly different from Lexus’ setup as it is mapped to the screen. So if you want to access the navigation, you tap that part of the pad that corresponds to the screen. This removes the dragging of the finger across the touchpad to get it to the selection you want. This seems quite logical on paper, but I found to be somewhat frustrating. It took me a few days to mind-meld with the system as I was still used to dragging my finger across the touchpad to select various functions. This made simple tasks such as changing presets or moving around in Apple CarPlay very tough.
      There is also a smaller touchpad that controls a small section of the screen. This allows you to scroll through three menus - audio, navigation, and clock. This would prove to be the most frustrating aspect of this system as it didn’t always recognize whenever I scroll down on the touchpad to move to another screen.
      Thankfully, Acura has left a number of physical controls for the audio and climate systems. I’m glad that some luxury automakers aren’t falling into the trap.
      Powertrain Goes Back To Its Roots
      The RDX has always found itself with a different powertrain throughout its various generations. The first version used a turbo-four engine, while the second-generation moved to a V6. For the third-generation, Acura went back to the RDX’s roots and settled on another turbo-four engine. The 2.0L engine punches out 272 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a 10-speed automatic and either front or my tester’s Super-Handling all-wheel drive system.
      The turbo-four is quite a potent engine with little turbo lag when leaving a stop and a seemingly endless amount of power for any situation. The ten-speed automatic is very smooth and quick when upshifting. But it does stumble somewhat when you need a quick shot of speed.
      I did notice that the 2.0L turbo isn’t a quiet engine when traveling on the expressway, going above 2,000 rpm when traveling at 70 mph. This may explain the slightly disappointing 21.7 mpg average I got during the week. EPA fuel economy figures for the A-Spec SH-AWD are 21 City/26 Highway/23 Combined. The standard RDX models see a small bump in their EPA fuel economy figures.
      Capable Driver
      Acura is no stranger to building a crossover that is good to drive, the larger MDX crossover is a prime example. But the RDX A-Spec takes that a step further. This version gets a slightly stiffer suspension setup which negates a fair amount of body roll on a winding road. The steering firms up nicely when pushed through corners. When going through the daily grind, the RDX A-Spec will let in a few more bumps and road imperfections due to its suspension tuning. Road and wind noise are kept to very minimal levels.
      Welcome Back Acura
      The 2020 RDX shows that Acura is starting to figure out what it wants to be; a brand that offers something playful in the class. The RDX certainly has the qualities with a bold exterior, punchy turbo-four, and a surprising chassis that offers sporty handling and a mostly-comfortable ride. The slightly-confounding infotainment system and poor fuel economy figures do sour it a bit. But the RDX is a very compelling alternative to many compact luxury crossovers.
      It does give me hope that Acura is figuring out who it wants to be and excited to see what comes down the road such as the new TLX.
      How I Would Configure An RDX: For me, I would basically take the exact RDX tester seen here. That will set me back $47,195 after adding destination and $400.00 paint option. Everyone else should look at the Technology package that will get you most of the safety equipment that is part of Acurawatch, along with a 12-speaker ELS audio system, navigation, and parking sensors. It will not break the bank at $41,000 for FWD or $43,000 for AWD.
      Disclaimer: Acura Provided the RDX, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Acura
      Model: RDX
      Trim: A-Spec
      Engine: Turbocharged 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve VTEC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: 10-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 272 @ 6,500
      Torque @ RPM: 280 @ 1,600 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 21/26/23
      Curb Weight: 4,015 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: East Liberty, Ohio
      Base Price: $45,800
      As Tested Price: $47,195 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Exterior Color - $400.00

You Want Presence? You Got It!
      Cozy, Polarizing Interior
      Horsepower @ RPM: 272 @ 6,500
      Torque @ RPM: 280 @ 1,600 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 21/26/23
      Curb Weight: 4,015 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: East Liberty, Ohio
      Base Price: $45,800
      As Tested Price: $47,195 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options: