Jump to content
  • William Maley
    William Maley

    2019 Buick Regal To Be Next Model Getting the Avenir Treatment

      And Regal makes for three

    As we reported earlier this week, Avenir has proven to be a success for Buick. The trim makes up about 25 percent of Enclaves sold and has raised the average transaction price by $5,000. It should come as a no surprise that the Buick is planning to expand Avenir to another model.

    The Truth About Cars stumbled across General Motors’ fleet order guide for 2019 and found that the Regal Sportback will be offered with the Avenir trim. It will only be available with the 2.0L turbo-four with front-wheel drive - meaning 250 horsepower and 260 pound-feet (down 35 lb-ft when compared to the AWD variant), but coming with a nine-speed automatic.

    The Regal Avenir will come loaded with standard equipment. For the exterior, a set 19-inch wheels come finished in what Buick calls Pearl Nickel,  LED headlights, and a set of cornering lights The interior gets an 8-inch infotainment system with a Bose audio system. Also standard is the Driver Confidence Package 1 that brings four-way lumbar adjustment, heated mirrors, wireless charging pad, rear parking sensors, rear cross traffic alert, and lane change alert with blind spot monitoring. 

    Optional is the Driver Confidence Package 2 that brings adaptive cruise control, Lane Keep Assist, automatic emergency braking, and front pedestrian braking.

    TTAC expects the Regal Avenir sometime towards the end of summer. We're expecting it sometime later in the year.

    Source: The Truth About CarsGM Fleet Order Guide




    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    One thing Buick should do with the Regal: the Avenir should be the Denali (i.e. fully loaded) for the Regal, while the GS should be the spiritual successor to the GNX.  Both trim levels should be priced about the same.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Buicks packaging of the two Regals is so fucked up.  And this is not a car that benefits from an Avenir badge.  Wow, the dips at Buick corporate.

     

    Enclave Avenir?  SURE AS HELL.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So the top trim is front drive only, and no AWD offered?   That makes no sense because most people buying the luxury model are going to want all wheel drive.

    • Thanks 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think they are doing this for price considerations instead of actual product planning. They want the Avenir to be the same price as the GS maybe and then make it a choice of two sides.

     

    The problem with the Regal, is that it’s value proprositon is really bad as you add options and go up trims.

     

    the base model is a fantastic deal with the 2.0 litre and sport back hatch. And then the interior, other than leather seats really sees no changes between the $27,000 car and the $40,000 car. Now it’s quick to note many cars have that problem but here’s compounded because the Regal inteior is barely better than the Malibu’s

    • Thanks 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    33 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    I don't think anything will move the needle on Regal sales unless they change the name to "Camry"

    Camry or Accord.  A LOT of baby boomers still hate GM after 30-40 years.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Buick going 100% all wheel drive like Subaru but with a softer, cushy ride for suburbanites who are the opposite of “active lifestyle” could work for them.  

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, smk4565 said:

    I don't think anything will move the needle on Regal sales unless they change the name to "Camry"

    It'll only move the ATP needle. 

    On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, smk4565 said:

    Buick going 100% all wheel drive like Subaru but with a softer, cushy ride for suburbanites who are the opposite of “active lifestyle” could work for them.  

    Subaru is not 100% AWD and neither is Buick.  Both are close though. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    It'll only move the ATP needle. 

    Subaru is not 100% AWD and neither is Buick.  Both are close though. 

    But Subaru has an image and a brand message. Buick is a miso-mash of GM product from Europe, South Korea and China and a couple warmed over Chevrolets.  Buick doesn't really have a clear message or common trait.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    But Subaru has an image and a brand message. Buick is a miso-mash of GM product from Europe, South Korea and China and a couple warmed over Chevrolets.  Buick doesn't really have a clear message or common trait.

    There are no warmed-over Chevys.  The Impala isn't even on the same generation platform as the Lacrosse. The Enclave shares a platform with the Traverse, but it is its own vehicle with unique sheet metal.   Everyone is a mix of product, including Subaru.  Toyota has American Camries, Mazda built Yarii, Japanese built Subaru, and a Corolla Hatch designed for Europe, built in Japan, and imported to the US.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    There are no warmed-over Chevys.  The Impala isn't even on the same generation platform as the Lacrosse. The Enclave shares a platform with the Traverse, but it is its own vehicle with unique sheet metal.   Everyone is a mix of product, including Subaru.  Toyota has American Camries, Mazda built Yarii, Japanese built Subaru, and a Corolla Hatch designed for Europe, built in Japan, and imported to the US.

     

    Toyota is a full line brand though so there is going to be more there.  But all their products focus on reliability and fuel efficiency is a theme that runs through the brand with the number of hybrids they offer.  Even though they have a few guzzlers with old engines like the 4Runner and Tundra.  

    Buick wants to be like a discount Lexus with cushy ride and soft seats with sound deadening, but then you a european sports sedan in the Regal and the Cascada. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Right: different models & intents for different buyers. Same thing everyone other than extremely limited exotics do. Same thing any brand with a 'performance division' does.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    You're making excuses. You're saying Toyota has a theme except when they don't have a theme. It's okay for Toyota but not for Buick?

    And for Buick the theme is "attainable luxury".

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    If there is a Buick that deserves a real sporting flavored drive (and not an expensive trim package) it would be the Regal.  A 4 cylinder Regal without so much fluff but tuned for Euro ride and handling, while still be being fairly quiet.  The Regal would be the one car in the Buick lineup that should be it.  Notice here I am making the distinction of not having to go up to a 45,000 dollar MSRP GS to get something that rises above sedate.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, regfootball said:

    If there is a Buick that deserves a real sporting flavored drive (and not an expensive trim package) it would be the Regal.  A 4 cylinder Regal without so much fluff but tuned for Euro ride and handling, while still be being fairly quiet.  The Regal would be the one car in the Buick lineup that should be it.  Notice here I am making the distinction of not having to go up to a 45,000 dollar MSRP GS to get something that rises above sedate.

    So a 4-cylinder Regal with electronically controlled shocks.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't necessarily think better more responsive handling means it has to have the electronic shocks.

    Just a better suspension and handling for livelier driving than the base / cruiser setup.  That's suspension 'tuning' and some possibly upgraded components.

    And the electronic version of suspension control is still reserved for top of the line.

    I don't think Buick needs to target every single vehicle in its lineup to be fluffy

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think an Avenir Regal will need a seriously plush interior to make sense. Otherwise it’s not that much of premium to get a loaded Lacrosse with a better engine, better interior even in a non-Avenir model and more of the Cushyness that this Regal lacks.

     

    while the Regal needed a new hen, this is not the European car of the year equivalent that the last Insignia was in 2008. The fact the previous gen was comparable to previous gen C-Class and Audi A4 like priced was special. This car besides the Notchback has serious competition from family sedans that are getting more stylish and more top trims.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    17 hours ago, regfootball said:

    I don't necessarily think better more responsive handling means it has to have the electronic shocks.

    Just a better suspension and handling for livelier driving than the base / cruiser setup.  That's suspension 'tuning' and some possibly upgraded components.

    And the electronic version of suspension control is still reserved for top of the line.

    I don't think Buick needs to target every single vehicle in its lineup to be fluffy

    No, but the Avenirs should be fluffy.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 7/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

    No, but the Avenirs should be fluffy.

    Hence, no need for an Avenir on a Regal.

     

    Not every Buick needs to be fluffy, Regal is to lure young buyers and entry buyers to brand.  Those buyers don't want floaty I don't think.  Comfy sure, floaty, no.

     

    Edited by regfootball

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, regfootball said:

    Hence, no need for an Avenir on a Regal.

     

    Not every Buick needs to be fluffy, Regal is to lure young buyers and entry buyers to brand.  Those buyers don't want floaty I don't think.  Comfy sure, floaty, no.

     

    Sporty is the GS. So the Regal is the only one with both.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×