Jump to content
Create New...
  • G. David Felt
    G. David Felt

    What is Your IQ on Cadillac Electric Vehicles?

      GM seems to have confirmed without actual confirming that an IQ is the standard for all their electric vehicles under the Cadillac banner. What are your thoughts on the names?

    GM's Cadillac division is to be their first all-electric division for the GM company and with that, Cadillac introduced and has since started pre-orders for the Cadillac LYRIQ.

    2023-Cadillac-LYRIQ-002 (1).jpg

    Cadillac has since in press releases stated a new refined level of luxury will be brought to the all-electric Cadillac product line. This will start with Heritage marks on the electric auto's such as their vertical tail lights.

    2023-Cadillac-LYRIQ-011 (1).jpg

    Cadillac has also stated that an Escalade electric SUV was forthcoming and many myself included wondered if they would hold onto the Escalade name or use something new? We now have that in a flurry of trademark filings by GM for the Cadillac division. This would indicate that the IQ is that defining mark on an electric vehicle as all the names end in IQ or have IQ in the name. This product lineup is to be built on variations of the Ultium battery pack / Powertrain.

    2022-GMC-HUMMER-EV-Ultium-054-inside-ultium (1).jpg

    Cadillac's Electric Auto Lineup based on Trademark filings:

    • LYRIQ
    • Escalade IQ
    • Escalade IQL
    • OPTIQ
    • CELESTIQ
    • SYMBOLIQ

    Snag_2a5ee04b.pngSnag_2a60b9ae.png

    This is by some a welcome return to names that were and still are considered very American in comparison to those past executives that pushed a German agenda on the brand with letters and numbers where only the Escalade name plate survived.

    This brings up the big question to everyone reading this: What do you think of the new names, and on what type of electric vehicle do you think these will get applied? 

    Keep in mind that GM has shifted to pretty much a CUV/SUV and Full-size truck lineup, yet on the roadmap of EVs there still seems to be a few cars listed as well.

    Sound off by posting your thoughts on the IQ names, and where you feel these names will be applied. CUV, SUV, Truck, or Car?

    Cadillac Pressroom - United States - LYRIQ

    Cadillac iq trademark search

    Escalade iq trademark search

    Escalade iq trademark

    Escalade iql trademark

    Optiq trademark

    Celestiq trademark

    Symboliq trademark

    Ascendiq trademark

    Lumistiq trademark

    Vistiq trademark

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    Bad spelling does make a defensible trademark.  As for the names, I am not a fan but I am not hostile to those new names.  I am glad that Cadillac is using names and NOT alphanumeric designations for their new EVs.

    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

    Bad spelling does make a defensible trademark.  As for the names, I am not a fan but I am not hostile to those new names.  I am glad that Cadillac is using names and NOT alphanumeric designations for their new EVs.

    I didnt know how to react to these names.  But I think your view on them best suits my feelings. 

    Yes. I too am not a fan of these names.  Its a source for comedic fodder.  But seeing that these are some sort of a name  and not  alphanumerics,, its impossible for me to be hostile towards them. 

    Yeah, I will chuckle at the thought of a CelestIQ or even at an Escalade IQ though. 

    • Haha 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    11 hours ago, David said:
    • LYRIQ
    • Escalade IQ
    • Escalade IQL
    • OPTIQ
    • CELESTIQ
    • SYMBOLIQ

    I could not like this less. I cannot stand this miss-spelling-of-words for names thing. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

    Sounds ok, as long as they don’t name something ‘Generiq’.  

    Feeling our age? ;) :P 

    Welcome to the group! :D 

    51 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    I could not like this less. I cannot stand this miss-spelling-of-words for names thing. 

    I can respect this as I also upon coming across this in the Trademark section for what Cadillac has been up to this November made me initially say WTF. But as others have pointed out, I am far happier that they are some sort of misspelled name than alpha numeric follow the German clone's crap.

    I do think that Optiq and Symoliq will follow Lyriq as some sort of cuv/suv and that I can see a Celestiq as a car.

    I get and am happy they are not throwing away the built-up recognition of Escalade.

    Let's be glad they did not decide to go with Escalaiq or ESCALAIQ for the EV version.

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    12 minutes ago, David said:

    Feeling our age? ;) :P 

    Welcome to the group! :D 

    I can respect this as I also upon coming across this in the Trademark section for what Cadillac has been up to this November made me initially say WTF. But as others have pointed out, I am far happier that they are some sort of misspelled name than alpha numeric follow the German clone's crap.

    I do think that Optiq and Symoliq will follow Lyriq as some sort of cuv/suv and that I can see a Celestiq as a car.

    I get and am happy they are not throwing away the built-up recognition of Escalade.

    Let's be glad they did not decide to go with Escalaiq or ESCALAIQ for the EV version.

    I can certainly agree that I am glad they're using "words" instead of alphanumeric junk but they could have used...real words... 

    I don't know why Lyric, Optic, or Symbolic wasn't used. Why not "IC"?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    44 minutes ago, David said:

    Feeling our age? ;) :P 

    Welcome to the group! :D 

     

    'Generiq' as in 'generic'.   Not 'Geriatriq' if that is what you are implying...

    Edited by Robert Hall
    • Haha 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    I can certainly agree that I am glad they're using "words" instead of alphanumeric junk but they could have used...real words... 

    I don't know why Lyric, Optic, or Symbolic wasn't used. Why not "IC"?

    My gut tells me that the IC is due to these words already being trademarked by other companies. I did look at both Lyric and Optic and they are trademarked by other companies, I have to assume the same with other words.

    I also am thinking that someone in Marketing feels there is value in IQ for people shopping since it does relate to intelligence.

    Thoughts?

    33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    'Generiq' as in 'generic'.   Not 'Geriatriq' if that is what you are implying...

    My Hip is really bothering me this morning as we have a winter storm here, so I am feeling my 54 years of age. :P 

    Course not gonna stop me from skiing and I know I will feel better for being more physical.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 minute ago, David said:

    My gut tells me that the IC is due to these words already being trademarked by other companies. I did look at both Lyric and Optic and they are trademarked by other companies, I have to assume the same with other words.

    I also am thinking that someone in Marketing feels there is value in IQ for people shopping since it does relate to intelligence.

    Thoughts?

    My Hip is really bothering me this morning as we have a winter storm here, so I am feeling my 54 years of age. :P 

    Course not gonna stop me from skiing and I know I will feel better for being more physical.

    'IC' can also imply Internal Combustion like in ICE, not the image they want for EVs... 'IQ' sounds OK....definitely better than '-E' on everything...I could have seen them having XT3-E, XT5-E, CT4-E, CT6-E, Escalade-E, etc...

    Ya, damp weather and cold here, feeling my 51 years of age...joint pain w/ the stairs (after living most of my adult life without stairs it's been a challenge getting used to them the last few years), etc...

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, David said:

    My gut tells me that the IC is due to these words already being trademarked by other companies. I did look at both Lyric and Optic and they are trademarked by other companies, I have to assume the same with other words.

    I also am thinking that someone in Marketing feels there is value in IQ for people shopping since it does relate to intelligence.

    Thoughts?

    Thank you, the trademark situation make sense but the IQ for intelligence is stupid, IMO. 

    • Haha 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    BMW has "i" and Mercedes has EQ, so obviously Cadillac would just follow in their footsteps with "IQ"

    Personally I hate all these EV names and putting "I" or "E" on everything, everyone does the same thing and it is pretty pointless, just name the car.  

    Scion already made the IQ, and it sucked.

    It doesn't really matter though, Cadillac will have an all new naming scheme in 2027 anyway.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Except @ BMW, 'i' means 'injected', not 'electric'.

    OEMs should have done what they've generally / traditionally done; build a model with either an IC option, or a BE option in the same body. 

    Now mercedes has a parallel s-class competing in the same showrooms with the traditional IC s-class.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

    Except @ BMW, 'i' means 'injected', not 'electric'.

    OEMs should have done what they've generally / traditionally done; build a model with either an IC option, or a BE option in the same body. 

    Now mercedes has a parallel s-class competing in the same showrooms with the traditional IC s-class.

    BMW i3, i8, and the coming iX and i5, and i7.  In those cases the i is for electric cars.  on a 328i, yes it means injected.

    For the short term you have to build ICE and EV side by side.  Everyone is doing it, which is what will really stretch these OEM's and probably kill the small ones off that don't have enough resources.  Or the ones that go too early will burn up cash too fast, the ones that go too late will be left behind.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    no real issue with the 'IQ' naming.  bigger issue is abandoning gas vehicles / not putting any more development into updating current products.

    CT5 - weak base engine, can't find hardly any v6's

    XT5 - needs to be refreshed inside in the worst way, if not all new.

    XT6 - was a stopgap, hows the replacement coming?

    CT6 - i know they killed it, still worth considering a real Escala clone that is CT6 sized and has a liftback

    XT4 - better interior pls

    CT4 and CT5 will those ever get updated in the next 5 years, probably not

    Like it or not to sustain brand health, they will still need to refresh the gas vehicle inventory for several years yet.

    Edited by regfootball
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Cadillac certainly NEEDS to replace their current XT vehicles ASAP.  The cars can stay as is for another couple of years since it seems everybody wants to buy a crossover instead of a sedan these days.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, regfootball said:

    CT5 - weak base engine, can't find hardly any v6's

    I saw a white 2.0T 330 (or was it 350?) with AWD  CT5 today.

    I thought the only CT5 Id like looking at was a CT5-V Blackwing.  But this particular white CT5 2.0T surprised me in how good looking I found it.  I have warmed over on the base CT5, I guess.    Obviously the one that Id want would be the V Blackwing. 

    I could live with the 2.0T if I had no better car to replace my Acura with if I needed to replace my Acura   (Just thinking out loud) 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Can you image a culture/time period where someone names a model 'Fleetwood' and that name runs from 1935 thru 1996?? Or Deville... and it runs from 1949 thru 2005??

    - - - - - 
    Seems logical that a 'Cadillac Owners Society' would find new, non-traditional names unappealing... but Cadillac is looking outside it's own steady demographic here.  

    Not that I like the future naming convention either...

    • Thanks 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I miss the traditional Cadillac names...alphanumerics are so boring, and the new 'iq' names are contrived.

    At least Chevy has a core set of names they have kept around for a long time and when they add new names, they usually are word names (though many are contrived).  

     

    Edited by Robert Hall
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Seems like electric/redesigned models are a prime opportunity to re-intro heritage names. 

    I'm OK with Celestiq & Lyriq... generally, but all the rest and the 'mandate' to name everything in the same vein I often hate.  I would rather Celestiq be 'Fleetwood' tho.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    39 minutes ago, balthazar said:

    Seems like electric/redesigned models are a prime opportunity to re-intro heritage names. 

    I'm OK with Celestiq & Lyriq... generally, but all the rest and the 'mandate' to name everything in the same vein I often hate.  I would rather Celestiq be 'Fleetwood' tho.

    Agree and why not like the SilvErado just do that to one of the E's in EscaladE or EscaladE ESV. I see no reason to have IQ on the name.

    • Haha 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 12/13/2021 at 7:16 PM, oldshurst442 said:

    I saw a white 2.0T 330 (or was it 350?) with AWD  CT5 today.

    I thought the only CT5 Id like looking at was a CT5-V Blackwing.  But this particular white CT5 2.0T surprised me in how good looking I found it.  I have warmed over on the base CT5, I guess.    Obviously the one that Id want would be the V Blackwing. 

    I could live with the 2.0T if I had no better car to replace my Acura with if I needed to replace my Acura   (Just thinking out loud) 

    It's 350.  The naming scheme always rounds to the nearest 50.

    The 2.0T is weak really only on paper and even then not by much.  Most people will find it acceptable because it has strong torque across the powerband. Since they are running it through 9 or 10 speed automatics depending on application, it feels strong in daily driving.  You'd notice no difference between it and the Germans in normal driving. The BMW has 13 more horsepower, but the Cadillac has 1 or 2 more gears. The BMW and Cadillac 2.0T have the same peak torque and the BMW get there just 50 rpm sooner... nothing you'd ever be able to notice. The Benz 2.0T has 20 more horsepower and 20 more lb-ft of torque, but the Benz 9-speed automatic doesn't use first gear for efficiency purposes, so it is effectively an 8-speed. 

    So... unless you're drag racing an XT5 v. a GLC v. an X3, you'll never notice any difference between the three. I didn't include Audi because at 201 horsepower @ 6,000 rpm and 22 fewer lb-feet it's the Audi 2.0Twith a 7-speed that takes the cake for weakest engine.  

    Cadillac 2.0T - 235HP @ 5,000 RPM / 258 lb-ft @ 1,500 - 4,000 rpm
    BMW 2.0T - 248 HP @ 5,200 - 6,500 RPM / 258 lb-ft @ 1,450 - 4,800 rpm
    MB 2.0T - 255 HP @ 5800 - 6,100 rpm / 273 @ 1,800 - 4,000 rpm
    Audi 2.0T - 201 HP @ 6,000 rpm / 236 lb-ft @ not published on their site RPM

    Acura is the most powerful 2.0T at 272 @ 6500 rpm / 280 @ 1,600 - 4,500 rpm

    Genesis cheats by using a 2.5T that pushes it to 300 hp / 311 lb-ft  (and the best available interior of ANY of them... hands down.. no contest)

    Infiniti I'm not going to bother looking up because really... who cares?

     

    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    It's 350.  The naming scheme always rounds to the nearest 50.

    The 2.0T is weak really only on paper and even then not by much.  Most people will find it acceptable because it has strong torque across the powerband. Since they are running it through 9 or 10 speed automatics depending on application, it feels strong in daily driving.  You'd notice no difference between it and the Germans in normal driving. The BMW has 13 more horsepower, but the Cadillac has 1 or 2 more gears. The BMW and Cadillac 2.0T have the same peak torque and the BMW get there just 50 rpm sooner... nothing you'd ever be able to notice. The Benz 2.0T has 20 more horsepower and 20 more lb-ft of torque, but the Benz 9-speed automatic doesn't use first gear for efficiency purposes, so it is effectively an 8-speed. 

    So... unless you're drag racing an XT5 v. a GLC v. an X3, you'll never notice any difference between the three. I didn't include Audi because at 201 horsepower @ 6,000 rpm and 22 fewer lb-feet it's the Audi 2.0Twith a 7-speed that takes the cake for weakest engine.  

    Cadillac 2.0T - 235HP @ 5,000 RPM / 258 lb-ft @ 1,500 - 4,000 rpm
    BMW 2.0T - 248 HP @ 5,200 - 6,500 RPM / 258 lb-ft @ 1,450 - 4,800 rpm
    MB 2.0T - 255 HP @ 5800 - 6,100 rpm / 273 @ 1,800 - 4,000 rpm
    Audi 2.0T - 201 HP @ 6,000 rpm / 236 lb-ft @ not published on their site RPM

    Acura is the most powerful 2.0T at 272 @ 6500 rpm / 280 @ 1,600 - 4,500 rpm

    Genesis cheats by using a 2.5T that pushes it to 300 hp / 311 lb-ft  (and the best available interior of ANY of them... hands down.. no contest)

    Infiniti I'm not going to bother looking up because really... who cares?

     

    And the Lincoln 2.0T is 250 / 280 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I am in nooooo hurry to change my car (or my wife's) anytime soon.

    1. Craaaaazy prices of new (and used) cars are through the roof.  

    2. Not one car, ICE or BE, interests me in 2022 enough for me to forego my car. 

     

    The CT5 Cadillac and the new Acura TLX are intriguing.  But nothing about them makes me lust after them.   OK...the CT5 in Blackwing V is lust worthy to me.   But not for where I reside.  Gasoline prices is pretty high right about now.   Approx. CDN $1.55/liter for 89 octane and $1.65/liter for 93 octane. Thats like 6.5 CDN dollars per gallon...     I gather the supercharged LT4 slurps the good stuff. 

    With gasoline prices that high, EVs are looking that much better for me...   But unfortunately, nothing in the EV world is jumping at me either.    The Lucid Air seems like it fits my needs and tastes as much as a CT5 Cadillac and TLX does, but the pricing of that car, in any trim, is just a tad tooooo much for my liking.   I wouldnt buy a CT5 V Blackwing either BECAUSE of the price tag.  

    The Mustang Mach E is nice as well, and its in my budget, its a CUV...    Im not one for CUVs.  

    The Tesla Model S remains a car that I like.  Aside from the price tag being too high like the others mentioned, I dont want to be giving my  money to Elon Musk.  Over the last few years, Ive grown to despise the man. 

    Its still a waiting game for EVs for me at this time.   Im not counting out ICE ownership yet though.  But on both accounts, nothing interests me for me to spend money needlessly.  Both the Ford and the Acura serve me and my wife reliably well.  

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

    I am in nooooo hurry to change my car (or my wife's) anytime soon.

    1. Craaaaazy prices of new (and used) cars are through the roof.  

    2. Not one car, ICE or BE, interests me in 2022 enough for me to forego my car. 

     

    The CT5 Cadillac and the new Acura TLX are intriguing.  But nothing about them makes me lust after them.   OK...the CT5 in Blackwing V is lust worthy to me.   But not for where I reside.  Gasoline prices is pretty high right about now.   Approx. CDN $1.55/liter for 89 octane and $1.65/liter for 93 octane. Thats like 6.5 CDN dollars per gallon...     I gather the supercharged LT4 slurps the good stuff. 

    With gasoline prices that high, EVs are looking that much better for me...   But unfortunately, nothing in the EV world is jumping at me either.    The Lucid Air seems like it fits my needs and tastes as much as a CT5 Cadillac and TLX does, but the pricing of that car, in any trim, is just a tad tooooo much for my liking.   I wouldnt buy a CT5 V Blackwing either BECAUSE of the price tag.  

    The Mustang Mach E is nice as well, and its in my budget, its a CUV...    Im not one for CUVs.  

    The Tesla Model S remains a car that I like.  Aside from the price tag being too high like the others mentioned, I dont want to be giving my  money to Elon Musk.  Over the last few years, Ive grown to despise the man. 

    Its still a waiting game for EVs for me at this time.   Im not counting out ICE ownership yet though.  But on both accounts, nothing interests me for me to spend money needlessly.  Both the Ford and the Acura serve me and my wife reliably well.  

    You sound very much like me. Not wanting a Tesla and waiting until the right one comes along. And then the EValanche debuted and it wasn’t even a question anymore.  I was saying in another thread  that I think that’s the case for a lot of people who like the idea of an EV but haven’t bought one yet because they don’t like what’s offered.

     The other one I’m keeping my eye on is the Fisker Ocean for Albert. He wants to go back to a CRV sized crossover and it looks like it fits the bill nicely. I just need a bit more detail about options before I reserve it.

    • Agree 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    that I think that’s the case for a lot of people who like the idea of an EV but haven’t bought one yet because they don’t like what’s offered.

    Totally! 

    I see the way EVs are created with their funky LED  lighting outside of the vehicle and inside, all the shiny gadgets and creative tech and THAT alone makes people want them as their ICE counterparts are not as glitzy. ALL (or most) of the R&D money goes into EVs nowadays so OEMs are getting crafty in making EVs.  To the average joe, this is what peaks his interest.  And the non-stop message of EVs are mostly maintenance free and that is enough for people to convert.

    On the other hand, non-stop messaging of charging times and where to charge and the absence of a variety of EV models to choose from from price to style, keeps EV sales at bay.    

    To the average joe, motive power seems irrelevant.  I gather, whatever is more cheaper to run and what is more convenient to own will win the hearts of the average joe.  EVs havent attained that level yet to silence the misinformation that is out there against EVs. 

    +1 on the Fisker.   

    When the North American EV market will be flooded with EVs of this price range and style, from ALL the OEMs, will we see a great switch to EVs.  

    The Mach E is a sporty CUV, great for the 'look at me' crowd.   Its not a mass market appealing vehicle.  The average joe doesnt want that kind of attention.   This is why Toyotas sell by the ton.  

    Im holding out from getting a CUV for myself as long as I could hold out.  But I have a feeling that conventional  sedans are not quite dead yet...   They are concerning the IC.  But I have a feeling that there will be some EV sedans to choose from.  

    The Taycan and its Audi cousin GT E-Tron turns a lot heads.  Mine included when NOT painted in Trans Am bandit colours.  LOL    The Lucid Air.   Mercedes with their ugly EQS has garnered interest.  Cadillac Celestiq.  Sure, these are all expensive sedans, but sedans are still wanted by the buying public and OEMs are recognizing this and are still giving us sedans to drool over... 

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

    Totally! 

    I see the way EVs are created with their funky LED  lighting outside of the vehicle and inside, all the shiny gadgets and creative tech and THAT alone makes people want them as their ICE counterparts are not as glitzy. ALL (or most) of the R&D money goes into EVs nowadays so OEMs are getting crafty in making EVs.  To the average joe, this is what peaks his interest.  And the non-stop message of EVs are mostly maintenance free and that is enough for people to convert.

    On the other hand, non-stop messaging of charging times and where to charge and the absence of a variety of EV models to choose from from price to style, keeps EV sales at bay.    

    To the average joe, motive power seems irrelevant.  I gather, whatever is more cheaper to run and what is more convenient to own will win the hearts of the average joe.  EVs havent attained that level yet to silence the misinformation that is out there against EVs. 

    +1 on the Fisker.   

    When the North American EV market will be flooded with EVs of this price range and style, from ALL the OEMs, will we see a great switch to EVs.  

    The Mach E is a sporty CUV, great for the 'look at me' crowd.   Its not a mass market appealing vehicle.  The average joe doesnt want that kind of attention.   This is why Toyotas sell by the ton.  

    Im holding out from getting a CUV for myself as long as I could hold out.  But I have a feeling that conventional  sedans are not quite dead yet...   They are concerning the IC.  But I have a feeling that there will be some EV sedans to choose from.  

    The Taycan and its Audi cousin GT E-Tron turns a lot heads.  Mine included when NOT painted in Trans Am bandit colours.  LOL    The Lucid Air.   Mercedes with their ugly EQS has garnered interest.  Cadillac Celestiq.  Sure, these are all expensive sedans, but sedans are still wanted by the buying public and OEMs are recognizing this and are still giving us sedans to drool over... 

     

    It feels strange to say this, but compared to the majority of the latest EV reveals, Teslas seem...almost normal. The Model 3, while seemingly unorthodox when it was revealed, is now the Camry/Corolla of the EV spectrum today—in more ways than one. 

    Now, if only something could be done about Elon...

    Of all the EVs from mainstream manufacturers, the Hyundai Ioniq grabs my attention. They really nailed it with that one. 

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Teslas seem normal because they are still the benchmark.  All other EVs are judged by what Tesla EVs do.  Consumers want and expect Tesla levels of EV tech.   I know I do.   

    Not necessarily the speed performance of Tesla vehicles.  Although as a car crazy person, I am amazed by that.  But mostly by their battery, motor and software tech performance.  

    The Model 3 gained that because its relatively inexpensive.  Its battery range is still the one to beat. Its interior is minimalistic and adheres to the idea that its an average joe type of car and not for the elite.   And like a true American "muscle car", the Model 3 has speed performance that beat exotic cars that average joes could afford and buy.  

    About Musk...the board of directors could oust him. But why would they at the moment?   As much of a loon he appears to be, Tesla sales keep rising and quash their rivals DESPITE Musk... 

    Yes, the Ioniq 5 has done the EV mainstream CUV right!   It appears to have Tesla levels of range, battery and software performance.  No need to be a speed demon and therefore it gets the family hauling duties right.   Unlike say the Mach E.  But the Mach E is a Mustang and therefore it NEEDS to be a speed demon.

    But the Ioniq 5 is too expensive to be a mainstream family hauling EV.  

     

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    I visually like the Mach-E but I don’t like how it rides and the interior is way too spartan 

    I havent taken a ride in one.  And all the reviews all say in handles well.  

    Could I safely say it rides harsh because its tuned to be sporty to handle? 

    About the interior. Ive seen one up close, its what @Cory Wolfe eluded to with the Model 3 as being the norm.  Its 'minimalistic'.  And Ford decided to follow in Tesla's footsteps.    I dont mind. As long as I have my information in front of me and not on the screen by the right of me.  I guess you can get used to it,  but I dont feel like I want to.   All other glitzy EV interior tech I could live with, or live without... It dont bother me as much with or without it.  

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    18 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

    About Musk...the board of directors could oust him. But why would they at the moment?   As much of a loon he appears to be, Tesla sales keep rising and quash their rivals DESPITE Musk... 

    True, he's certainly made Tesla what it is today, but I simply feel like he's trending higher on the crazy scale lately. His comments and actions seem to be more of a hinderance to Tesla. His latest earnings call and this move towards robotics give me doubt. Meanwhile, despite shocking the industry early on with the Cybertruck, Tesla will likely be beaten to market by nearly every EV truck introduced afterwards. Musk is a man of many broken promises and misguided priorities. 

    Quote

    Yes, the Ioniq 5 has done the EV mainstream CUV right!   It appears to have Tesla levels of range, battery and software performance.  No need to be a speed demon and therefore it gets the family hauling duties right.   Unlike say the Mach E.  But the Mach E is a Mustang and therefore it NEEDS to be a speed demon.

    But the Ioniq 5 is too expensive to be a mainstream family hauling EV. 

    Whoever can get the first sub-$30k EV that's not a penalty box to market will likely make the biggest mark. 

    • Agree 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

    I havent taken a ride in one.  And all the reviews all say in handles well.  

    Could I safely say it rides harsh because its tuned to be sporty to handle? 

    About the interior. Ive seen one up close, its what @Cory Wolfe eluded to with the Model 3 as being the norm.  Its 'minimalistic'.  And Ford decided to follow in Tesla's footsteps.    I dont mind. As long as I have my information in front of me and not on the screen by the right of me.  I guess you can get used to it,  but I dont feel like I want to.   All other glitzy EV interior tech I could live with, or live without... It dont bother me as much with or without it.  

    “Rides” and “Handles” are two different things and usually (though less so recently) opposite ends of the spectrum.

    I don’t like harsh rides. The roads here are beyond awful. I’ll take a comfortable ride over sporty handling every day and twice on Sundays. It’s why I buy the vehicles I buy. My EValanche will have air suspension just  like my Avalanche does. I’d love an airmatic Benz but unless something changed recently they don’t make them in AWD.

    • Agree 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    2 hours ago, Cory Wolfe said:

    True, he's certainly made Tesla what it is today, but I simply feel like he's trending higher on the crazy scale lately. His comments and actions seem to be more of a hinderance to Tesla. His latest earnings call and this move towards robotics give me doubt. Meanwhile, despite shocking the industry early on with the Cybertruck, Tesla will likely be beaten to market by nearly every EV truck introduced afterwards. Musk is a man of many broken promises and misguided priorities. 

    Whoever can get the first sub-$30k EV that's not a penalty box to market will likely make the biggest mark. 

    I agree Tesla is being led by a failed leader. Good for his look at me Marketing stunts early on, but Tesla needs a Real CEO that can raise the bar on Quality and deliver on promises. Way too many distractions for Tesla, Robotics, Solar roofs, Solar storage systems, Rockets, Mars, underground tunnels, flame throwers, etc. etc. etc.

    Now we have the following stories of how bad Tesla quality is:

    Over 10 Percent of Tesla Model S EVs Fail Germany’s Strict Inspection After 3 Years (thedrive.com)

    Over 10 Percent of Tesla Model S EVs Fail Germany’s Strict Inspection After 3 Years - News07trends (universalpersonality.com)

    https://autobala.com/more-than-10-of-tesla-model-sevs-did-not-pass-rigorous-german-inspection-after-3-years/315059/

    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30126171

    https://www.realmicentral.com/2022/01/29/tesla-is-not-acclimatized-10-of-three-year-old-model-s-fail-german-quality-inspection/

    Seems that Tesla is at the bottom of the required inspections at 3yrs old. Not a good thing to be especially when your opening a manufacturing plant there.

    Then you have the Kia Niro EV rated at the most reliable EV on the road right now.

    Consumer Reports Reliability Study: Top 10 Has Japanese Brands, Mini, Buick - Forbes Wheels

    Then you have them giving the Hyundai Ioniq EV best buy as a $30,000 auto.

    Best Hybrid/EV Buying Guide - Consumer Reports

    Kia Niro And Tesla Model 3: The Best Rated Electric Cars For This 2022 » BuzzFeeds

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    “Rides” and “Handles” are two different things and usually (though less so recently) opposite ends of the spectrum.

    I don’t like harsh rides. The roads here are beyond awful. I’ll take a comfortable ride over sporty handling every day and twice on Sundays. It’s why I buy the vehicles I buy. My EValanche will have air suspension just  like my Avalanche does. I’d love an airmatic Benz but unless something changed recently they don’t make them in AWD.

    Magneride allows for both and for both to be comfortable. 

    I understand that "rides" and "handles" are two different things and usually ARE on opposite ends of the spectrum.  That is why I asked.  Handling great is usually allowed by stiffer suspension tuning. But on the road, real roads, that means that all the imperfections are felt.  The one area where Montreal excels over ANY other North American city, including Detroit, is crappy, pot holed roadways.  Our pot holes are literal craters.  And we are just a few weeks away from pot hole season.  It starts in mid March.  

    Seeing that the Mach E is a sport CUV, and everybody is praising it for its great on-road prowess, I assume its because its tuned to handle rather than soak up the bumps, and thus stiff suspension, and seeing that only the GT Mach E has magnetic suspension, it be not quite the comfy ride.  

    Im not quite intolerant of sporty suspension set-ups.  Im getting there though slowly enough.   

    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Seems for those that might be interested, you can still get the Cadillac V8 Blackwing motor for a paltry sum of $21,666.67 till they are gone.

    550 HP / 627 lb-ft of torque

    You Can Still Buy a Twin-Turbo Cadillac Blackwing V8 Engine From GM… For Now (thedrive.com)

    image.png

    Seems they made an extra run of motors to cover warranty issues with this motor for the CT6 V Blackwing and they have not been needed so Cadillac is selling them off till gone. Hand Built Blackwing motors from Kentucky. Will need a pallet jack as the motor weights 518 lbs dry.

    Interesting is that I found the web page and GM has discounted the Motor, so now it is $19,500.00 Plus $3,500 core charge.

    GM Genuine Parts 4.2L Gasoline Engine #12662913 | GM Genuine Parts 4.2L Gasoline Engine #12662913 | Parts (cadillac.com)

    ;) Better hurry, at that discounted price, they should fly out the door. ;) 

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    7 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

    Magneride allows for both and for both to be comfortable. 

    I understand that "rides" and "handles" are two different things and usually ARE on opposite ends of the spectrum.  That is why I asked.  Handling great is usually allowed by stiffer suspension tuning. But on the road, real roads, that means that all the imperfections are felt.  The one area where Montreal excels over ANY other North American city, including Detroit, is crappy, pot holed roadways.  Our pot holes are literal craters.  And we are just a few weeks away from pot hole season.  It starts in mid March.  

    Seeing that the Mach E is a sport CUV, and everybody is praising it for its great on-road prowess, I assume its because its tuned to handle rather than soak up the bumps, and thus stiff suspension, and seeing that only the GT Mach E has magnetic suspension, it be not quite the comfy ride.  

    Im not quite intolerant of sporty suspension set-ups.  Im getting there though slowly enough.   

    Unfortunately, neither of the suspensions are tolerable to me.

    • Sad 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Unfortunately, neither of the suspensions are tolerable to me.

    So does the GT Mach E Magnetic Suspension not absorb the road bumps like the Cadillac Magna ride does?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So I made up this chart that I think demonstrates how little difference there is between the 2.0T engines in this class. Peak horsepower on most of these is over 5,000 RPM and the Acura is at 6,500 RPM.  I want you to think about how often in your daily life that you exceed 5,000 rpm while you look at these charts.  What you'll end up noticing is that in the RPM of typical daily driving, 1500 - 4000, there is virtually no difference with the largest spread being 17 horsepower... nothing noticeable at all.  Furthermore, these figures are only calculated at wide-open-throttle. At partial throttle, the numbers will be significantly lower.  The Mercedes and Acura have very deep first gears, but they are only ever used when sport mode is engaged. It gives them significant pulling power in that mode, but that is a transmission advantage, not an engine one.  The front-wheel drive Cadillac 9-speed looks like it might feel spritelier than the RWD 10-speed in a vehicle of similar weight as second gear is a bit deeper on the 9 than the 10.  The 9-speed also has a very very slightly larger ratio spread.   In overall spread, the Acura wins and in theory should be the most efficient at a steady highway speed if the transmission is able to hold 10th gear, but that's a noticeable "if" as none of these tend to hold their top gear in anything but a steady cruise. The BMW ZF 8-Speed has a pretty deep 1st and 2nd, but then starts dropping the ratios faster than any other transmission. 

    Long story short, if you like the car, minor differences in peak horsepower that only really occur at high RPM under full throttle really shouldn't be the deciding factor. They are marketing materials and not in any way meaningful to you on your morning commute. 

    The question marks are where I didn't have enough data to make a calculation.

      Cadillac 2.0T BMW 2.0T MB 2.0T Acura 2.0T
      235HP @ 5000 RPM 248 HP @ 5200-6500 RPM 255HP @ 5800-6100 rpm 272 @ 6500 rpm
      258 lb-ft @ 1500-4000 rpm 258 lb-ft @ 1450-4800 rpm 273 @ 1800-4000 rpm 280 @ 1600-4500 rpm
    Peak Torque 258 258 273 280
    RPM Effective HP @ RPM Effective HP @ RPM Effective HP @ RPM Effective HP @ RPM
    1500 74 74 ?? ??
    1600 79 79 ?? 85
    1800 88 88 94 96
    2000 98 98 104 107
    2500 123 123 130 133
    3000 147 147 156 160
    3500 172 172 182 187
    4000 196 196 208 213
    4500 ?? 221 ?? 240
    4800 Calculated torque below 236 ?? ??
    5000 247 Calculated torque below ?? ??
    5200 237 250 Calculated torque below ??
    5800 213 225 231 ??
    6000 206 217 223 Calculated torque below
    6100 202 214 220 ??
    6500 190 200 ?? 220
             
      GM 10-Speed ZF 8-Speed 8HP45 MB 9G-Tronic Honda 10-Speed
    First: 4.70 4.7 5.4 5.25
    Second: 2.99 3.14 3.2 3.27
    Third: 2.15 2.11 2.3 2.19
    Fourth: 1.80 1.67 1.6 1.6
    Fifth: 1.52 1.29 1.2 1.3
    Sixth: 1.28 1.00 1.0 1
    Seventh: 1.00 0.84 0.9 0.78
    Eighth: 0.85 0.67 0.7 0.65
    Ninth: 0.69 -- 0.6 0.58
    Tenth: 0.64 -- -- 0.52
          1st gear only used in Sport 1st gear only used in Sport
      GM 9-Speed      
    First: 4.69      
    Second: 3.31      
    Third: 3.01      
    Fourth: 2.45      
    Fifth: 1.92      
    Sixth: 1.45      
    Seventh: 1.00      
    Eighth: 0.75      
    Ninth: 0.62      
    • Thanks 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 1/30/2022 at 1:41 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

    “Rides” and “Handles” are two different things and usually (though less so recently) opposite ends of the spectrum.

    I don’t like harsh rides. The roads here are beyond awful. I’ll take a comfortable ride over sporty handling every day and twice on Sundays. It’s why I buy the vehicles I buy. My EValanche will have air suspension just  like my Avalanche does. I’d love an airmatic Benz but unless something changed recently they don’t make them in AWD.

    The Ford Escape rides poorly and handles poorly, so some car companies can get both wrong.  

    Airmatic is standard on the GLC43, all the AMG 53's and 63's, GLS, S-class, EQS, optional on any E-class or GLE, optional on C300 up to this year but going away.

    As far as all the 2 liter turbo engines go, BMW probably is under rating their numbers, or else drivetrain witchcraft is happening that allows a 330i to do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds when all these competitors are around 6.  The new C300 is 255 hp, 295 lb-ft plus the 21 hp and 184 lb-ft from the 48 volt mild hybrid, which I assume the E and GLE will switch over to later this year also.  Audi and BMW should be making a similar move.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    255/290 is right on par with the Escape’s 250/280. BTW, C&D said all Escapes drive & handle well. Not that anyone pushes small CUVs hard, but it tested out at .85 g’s grip. 
    C&D tested a gle450 and got .82, so that vehicle must handle 'terribly' if the escape is 'poor'.

    Edited by balthazar
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I had a 2013 Escape Titanium on OEM 19" wheels (235/50R19) and it was far from driving poorly. It obviously wasn't a sports car but it definitely did not ride poorly. As Drew stated, it rode well but handled poorly. 

    If I remember correctly, the reviews at the time of that new generation praised it saying it had a "euro" drive to it. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • google-news-icon.png



  • google-news-icon.png

  • Subscribe to Cheers & Gears

    Cheers and Gears Logo

    Since 2001 we've brought you real content and honest opinions, not AI-generated stuff with no feeling or opinions influenced by the manufacturers.

    Please consider subscribing. Subscriptions can be as little as $1.75 a month, and a paid subscription drops most ads.*
     

    You can view subscription options here.

    *a very limited number of ads contain special coupon deals for our members and will show

  • Community Hive Community Hive

    Community Hive allows you to follow your favorite communities all in one place.

    Follow on Community Hive
  • Posts

    • I’m 99% sure it’s coming, just not officially announced. It might be a 2026 model. They’ve already developed the powertrain for the China market and with Barra’s reversal on PHEVs in the US, it seems logical to not waste development dollars.
    • I've warmed up to this more and more.  Even if the front end / grille is a little extreme and non Trad Buick, it actually comes off like some other brands.  Side profile as well.  I think Buick's distinction with these new front ends is to become sort of anonymously familiar with other brands like Toyota  and Subaru, but different enough so it looks unique vs other GM stuff. I am ok with the side profile now too, mostly.  It's generic but not badly done.  About as good as you can expect. The interior looks nice in pictures but I wonder if the dash materials will be cheap looking.  I like the idea of a big screen but it is a bit blob-like in its shape.  But that is the distinguishing feature of Buick interiors now.  I like the Traverse and Acadia interiors also, but the Enclave's is unique enough to appeal to someone who doesn't want the usual Chevy or GMC look.
    • That is the 'shark fin' you finally recognize........ I think if the Equinox EV is priced well (considering incentives and subsidized leases) I think it has a real chance to move in some volume.  Its shape is a little more un-GM (looks a bit like the Kia EV6) and may resonate with the lower end EV buyer more.  It appears to have a lot of room inside, and a really good dash layout. Let's see if GM scales back production numbers WAYYY back or if they decide to subsidize the living daylights out of their EV lines and just produce a lot of them.  They should do the latter, the rate of EV adoption is going to be slow for awhile again but you can win people with incentives.  We are likely to see all of these new GM EV's pretty much untouched for the next ten years (except for batteries and motors).  They can't kill any of these models because they would receive backlash after the EV1 axing.  They'll just have to plan for like a 10 year production run of all of the models.  Which is fine. They can get some desperate leases on the BlazerEV or Equinox EV set up for like 249 and not much down and I'd get one as a third car / weekly commute / good weather car and just use it to keep miles off my other cars.  Ultimately I'd like a hybrid....gonna look at the 25 Camry when it comes out as a commuter, AWD plus hybrid and 45 mpg I'd be up for that.  The 25 Equinox should have been offered with a plug in hybrid or even a plain hybrid.
    • The new Traverses make me double take as I think they are a Tahoe at first but then something in the back of my brain will click and say "WRONG". The difference between Equinox EV and Blazer EV is range, performance, and sportiness. 
    • I had seen first of the new traverses about 4 weeks ago but forgot to load pictures here . Lot trolling just now. The equinox EV is here now , not sure why we have the Blazer EV then since they are about the same interior size. Silverado EV in work truck trim sure looks meh.    the new traverses here I’ve seen have been front drive only, explains why they haven’t sold yet. Anyone here is snow country will look to get AWD.     
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • My Clubs

×
×
  • Create New...

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search