Rumorpile: Won't Be Long Till We See the Next F-150

What's in store for Ford's truck and utility lineup

Off-Road.com has obtained a product timeline that reveals Ford's launches for the upcoming year and the big news is that a new F-150 appears to be around the corner.

The timeline reveals that the next-generation Ford Explorer will be launched first, most likely at Detroit. We have reported that the new model would be using a new modular rear-wheel drive platform. Next up is the new F-150. We don't know what Ford has in store aside from a hybrid powertrain. But considering both General Motors and Ram introducing redesigned trucks this year, we're expecting Ford to fight back hard.

Last, but not least is the Bronco. Off-Road speculates this model will appear in 2020 as a 2021 model year vehicle.

Source: Off-Road.com

Edited by William Maley

I suspect GM, Ford, RAM will have to change out every 3-5 years now for competition and to keep it fresh as 7-10 years is stale and will not be accepted any longer.

I bet the 2.3 Ecoboost is coming as the base engine.  I suspect the 2.7 and 3.5 V6's will carry over, I could see them dropping the V8 because the Navigator V6 is more powerful than the 5.0 V8.  I would be shocked if there isn't some electrification going on also.

The F-150 is now the oldest of the big-3 + Nissan, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. they could probably get away with selling the current version a few more years.... especially while GM product package planners have their heads up their asses.  RAM is the one they need to watch out for.

It will be interesting to see where they go with the next F150 styling wise..the '18 MCE improved the front over the '15, but it's still a bit overwrought..I wonder if they will try and out ugly Chevy....

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

The Chevy only really looks great in High Country trim.  I love the Denali, but aside from that, the GMCs are meh. RAM is conservative and handsome. F-150 is the standard though.

The Ram just won a Car and Driver comparison between the 3 by a wide margin.  Seems like Ram has their act in order, plus an inline six on the way.

Ford should bring back the F150 Lightning with a Shelby GT500 engine in there.  Or even better a GT350 engine in the Lightning and GT500 motor in a Lightning SVT.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The F150 I actually really like...but I like the Super Duty trucks even more.

Hell yes...I like the way you think here.

3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Maybe it will go back to steel

with your luck, not only it will continue to have aluminium, but it might gain electric motorbility.

Edited by oldshurst442
    • Sad 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

That would be a bad move

1999-Ford-SVT-F-150-Lightning-neg-3-AR-2

I would keep the simple look with the body kit, lowered suspension.  But I would probably ditch the step side for a regular bed, and I would offer it in extended cab only.  I think 2 seater anything is a hard sell and a 4 door would be too big and defeat the purpose of being a sport truck.

This generation F150 and the previous have a very similar shape in general. I get it, they’re trucks but the way that they have straight body panels, few curves, headlights pushed all the way to the corners, the dive in the belt line...it almost has a relaxing continuity. I think the next F150 will build on that theme of recycling aluminum and design themes.

Ford ace in the hole is variation; keeping the regular cab is a cornerstone, esp as other brands forsake it. If Ford discontinues multiple car lines, I expect the truck lines to widen in choice.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

One can only hope.  Also I much prefer a suicide door set-up on extended cabs, v. what GM and Dodge have done with the tiny front-hinged doors.

We are completely opposite here.. The GMC's look so much better than the Silverados.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

The fender and grille shapes are simpler on the GMCs--they don't have all that front corner weirdness going on that the Chevys have...wonder how the HD GMCs will look.

No, we agree. I don't really like the Chevys at all.  High-Country trim gets a pass.  The GMCs aren't as bad as the Chevys, but I like the '17s more than the '19s.

And here, out of character, I really like Ford....all of the F series look really good IMHO.

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Hahaha I think the '18 refresh for the Ford looks worse than the '15-'17's. I think it is 100% the color of the grills most of the time. They're either chrome(no thanks) or a weird silver that doesn't match anything..

The Sport grille would be next as it's dark but most of them just look just a tad off to me. Even the body colored ones, which I usually like the most, look weird.

I think this is the only one that legitimately looks great to me.

F150.jpg

The light clusters are just way too large on any of the Fords, with the Super Duty being the worst.

Edited by Robert Hall

Ohhhhh I gotcha I gotcha. I misread your first comment.

I think this is the only one that legitimately looks great to me.

F150.jpg

I am not expecting a pickup truck to look good like 69 GTO Convertible good...just rugged and stylish. I think the Ford F series lineup does this in spades.

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Need it soon.. Ford just recalled almost 900K FSeries  Ford Recall

Hopefully they can improve w/ the next gen and get the recall numbers over a million!

I'm puzzled as to why block heaters are being installed in gas-fueled trucks.

That's a pretty typical cold-climate option on any vehicle.

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Ford and Dodge seem better priced than the new fullsize GM trucks.

sold old trucks are priced lower than a brand new one? Go figure

How is the RAM old? It’s the same MY new gen. LOL.

Give credit to Ford they recall everything now, they leave nothing to doubt. 🙂

7 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

They’re going to eventually start recalling the recalls. And then they’ll do over the air recalls.

Software recalls, awesome! :P

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

I'm puzzled as to why block heaters are being installed in gas-fueled trucks.

I think it's a requirement in Canada as when I had my Mach 1 it was built for Canada but a dealer in the US brought it here and therefore it had an engine block heater and daytime running lights for the Canadian market(before the US required a daytime running light).

Buuuuut I don't know why they are on the US models..

Edited by ccap41

Buuuuut I don't know why they are on the US models..

There are parts of the US with winters as cold as in Canada, I could see them being an option there.   A buddy in Colorado that moved from Minnesota had one on his Jeep.

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah that makes sense. There are definitely places with deep negative degrees(F) temperatures for long periods of time.

Actually, may 2003 focus SVT also had an engine block heater but I think that was a part of the whole cold weather package( heated seats, heated mirrors, block heater).

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I think I missed this is over 5 model years. 410K over 5 yrs probably is just northern-sold US trucks.

Here in Seattle, the trucks that spend half their life on the mountain passes including WSP or Washington State Patrol have engine block heaters.

I know when I was in Alaska, every car / truck / suv gas or diesel has engine block heaters. For sure a northern climate option.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:50 PM, ocnblu said:

Ford and Dodge seem better priced than the new fullsize GM trucks.

My friend who sells GMCs has been complaining that it is hard to move the new more expensive GMCs.  Terrain, Sierra, Acadia... doesn't matter.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:58 PM, Cmicasa the Great said:

sold old trucks are priced lower than a brand new one? Go figure

It might have been too big a jump.  Especially when the leftover 2018s have $12k on the hood.

I honestly doubt the 2019 will sell at or near their new MSRP price once all 2018's are off the lot. I expect GM to have to throw the same crazy incentives onto the 2019's to get them to move especially the butt ugly Chevy one.

Was @ the H-to-the-D-epot yesterday, pulling into a space in my ancient hooptie when a brand stinking new '19 Silverado LTZ pulled in, white, on polished 22's. It looked fantastic.

I have been pricing both the GMC & Silverado, plus looking at the '18 models. BOTH are incredibly expensive, and I have no interest in paying $750 a month for 72 months to own one. There are also zero crew cab / standard box '19s out yet. In fact, almost all are the lousy Double Cab.

I have not yet priced up the F-150, but it's certainly had its share of recalls/issues recently. My old F-150 was an excellent truck, but it was very very simple.

Don't know what I'm going to do.

Edited by balthazar

I would agree. The D3 are too competitive to not have to throw cash on the hood to try and incentive-ise over each other.

I'm actually still yet to see a new Silverado or GMC without dealer plates on them.

The COVID-19 pandemic has possibly caused another auto show to rethink their plans. According to Automotive News, organizers of the show are planning to delay the show from November to next May. Three sources tell the outlet the new dates are May 21st to 31st. Two of sources go on to say that an announcement could come this week.
      Automotive News tried to get comment from Terri Toennies, president of the show, but did not reply.
      By possibly moving the LA Auto Show to May, automakers and organizers of the New York and Detroit shows find themselves in a difficult spot. The LA show sandwiches between New York (April) and the revised Detroit show (June), which may cause automakers to make difficult decisions as to which shows get the most significant unveilings or whether to attend at all.
      Auto shows in general have been struggling before the onset of the pandemic. With automakers deciding to hold their own events to have more time in the spotlight and save cash, the spectacle of the show has gone down.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      It has been some time since we last reported on PSA Group's plan to re-enter the U.S. When we last checked in, Peugeot was chosen as the brand to be entering the U.S. by 2023 and rumors were swirling about a possible merger between PSA Group and FCA. A lot has changed since then as the two automakers begin to finalize plans for a merger, and the COVID-19 pandemic has no end in sight in the U.S. What does that mean for Peugeot's return to the U.S.?
      "My role is to grow the PSA business in North America, growing our mobility capability and preparing for the launch of Peugeot." said Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America to Automotive News.
      "From our standpoint, we're planning as if [the merger] doesn't exist. We're marching forward as if PSA was going to be there by themselves."
      Dominique is right now focused on the present with the top priority being building out a dealer network for both U.S. and Canada before the launch. He explained that the company is planning a two-prong approach, having franchised dealers and online retailing.
      "The future success for OEMs is the reduction of distribution costs while ensuring both retail and OEM margin sustainability. This has to be done through strong pricing power, not volume turnover," he said.
      Part of this is due to COVID-19 pandemic which has many automakers rethinking how they sell vehicles, something Dominique admits is a big challenge.
      "All my competitors are going to be focusing on digital, which means we have to step up our game and deliver an even stronger customer experience when we launch Peugeot in North America. We need to get out of an environment where the retailers are dependent upon just F&I and service to pay their bills."
      Another challenge facing Dominique, what models to sell in the U.S. The market has changed a lot since PSA Group announced its intentions to re-enter the U.S. Consumers now are focused on trucks and crossovers.
      "I don't have a full-sized truck,. But the C and D segments are what's relevant to us. The C and D segments are high volume and important to North America. That's where we're going to focus initially,"
      To us, this hints at the 3008 and 5008 crossovers being some of the first models to be available.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

• The $6300 Inscription package seems like a big waste of money, especially since part of it is a stereo upgrade when there is $3200 then added on for another stereo upgrade.
    • After taking a better look at the pics associated with this, I realize it's a complete concept car, rather than one intended to be filtered down to production form. That's good; as a stand-along piece it has some design issues. For one - it appears like the windshield is melting / falling into the passenger compartment. That said, it doesn't repulse me as a segment entry (an EV CUV), but the name is blasphemous, IMO.
    • That's a Brewster-bodied Ford, so not factory, in case anyone was wondering if Ford built something that brash then (they didn't).
    • Another reason for my dislike of the UAW. They leaders are screwing the union members. Former UAW president pleads guilty to embezzling union funds https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-autos-labor-corruption/former-uaw-president-pleads-guilty-to-embezzling-union-funds-idUSKBN26L3KY Time to face the Music Audi Ex-CEO, VWE expect more costs associated with Dieselgate. Ex-Audi chief arrives in German court to face dieselgate charges https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-audi/ex-audi-chief-arrives-in-german-court-to-face-dieselgate-charges-idUSKBN26L1KG

1. BowTieFarmer
      BowTieFarmer
    2. JohnPC
      JohnPC
    3. Ukarry
      Ukarry
    4. will75
      will75

There are no registered users currently online