GMC Considers Whether It Should Do An Electrified Sierra

They would join the likes of Ford and Rivian

There is a growing number of automakers who are announcing plans to electrify their lineup, while others are considering it. GMC is the latter category according to a new report from CNBC.

“Certainly, it’s something we’re considering," said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC when asked if there was the possibility of an electric Sierra.

Aldred wouldn't say much more than that except mentioning that General Motors CEO Mary Barra has already made comments about "an all-electric future."

It wouldn't be surprising if an all-electric Sierra sparks an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado since they are basically the same truck, allowing GM to take advantage of economies of scale and spreading the cost of development. But the cost of batteries is still a big drawback. Researchers at Boston Consulting Group say each individual battery cell generally cost $150 to $200. Aldred said that battery tech is still expensive "that makes it difficult to target mainstream segments, unless a carmaker like GM is willing to accept lower margins." But that's where GMC could take the lead as it is currently positioned as something more premium than its Silverado brethren, with such features as the Multi-Pro tailgate.

Ford has already announced plans for an F-150 EV, and there is start-up automaker Rivian with the R1T that is expected to go into production in late 2020.

Source: CNBC

Love this as an alternative to the Rivian R1T and the F150e. Would be great as that is what we want, a crewcab all electric pickup truck. :metal:

They're going to put a 4 banger in their Silverado but not hybrid tech in a Sierra..?

Sorry I managed to read something incorrectly.

Third time's the charm?  They've been doing Hybrid and eAssist trucks for a while.  I think an all electric Sierra would be an interesting take, but the price will be huge or the range will be short. I would expect over $100k for a Sierra Denali EV

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Probably $100k w/ a 50 mile range, and weighing 7500lbs w/ 2000 lb towing capacity..

Edited by Robert Hall

as that is what we want

LOL... "we" meaning you?  I don't hear a bunch of clamoring from real truck people for this crap.

39 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Let the market sort them out McFly.

You sassy little blu, you must be feeling better. :P

It is not a matter of IF it is a matter of WHEN.   One day batteries will be cheap, that is how technology works.  I think one day an electric will cost the same as a similar horsepower gas car.  We just don’t know when that day is.

We're on the iPhone X now- how come it isn't 'cheap'?  Haven't battery costs dropped even over the iPhone's lifecycle?

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Actually battery costs have dropped but other technologies that have been crammed into the phone have pushed the prices higher. It’s higher price has next to squat to do with the battery.

Let the market sort them out McFly.

You sassy little blu, you must be feeling better. :P

In fairness he probably didn’t hear from a bunch of rich people clamoring for a Tesla Model S yet here it is, outselling the likes of the S Class.

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Ahhh- an iPhone is a complicated device with numerous bits & features and new, updated models are intro'd with regularity. Much like automobiles.

My point was- battery cost alone is NOT the singular factor setting EV vehicle prices. As OEMs strive for the '10-min charge/ 500 mile/ 0-60 in 1.5 sec' EV, they will continue to cram technologies in, and the pricing -- likely --  will never become competitive with ICE counterparts. Those holding out hopes for a battery cost blow-out at pennies on the dollar showing up in the MSRP are going to be either waiting a long time, or much longer.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

But do people who try it stay with it for their next vehicle?

Maybe you should ask them but I am willing to bet that Tesla already has a fair number of repeat buyers.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I see what you’re saying but what you are suggesting involves a crystal ball. My theory is that once EVs become mainstream, there will be lower cost options, just like there are with ICE autos. To add to that point, I will say that it’s not like ICEs have been all that affordable over the last few decades. Sorry but when Civics option out over $30K, we have a problem that is much bigger than whether EVs can compete.

Edited by surreal1272

I don't disagree with your point on the general level of new vehicle prices; you're right. Still, a tangential issue here.

But it's not all 'crystal balling'.  We do have some pricing history example under our belt with Tesla.  Still no promised base price Model 3... jacked prices on the S & X (even as corporate volume rises steadily) - this shows the opposite trend toward passing on any battery cost savings to the consumer.  And as I've stated before; once consumers support an ever-increasing take rate for a vehicle priced at $XX (especially when the OEM is straining to fulfill demand), there is zero motivation to lower pricing, regardless of material costs.

Look at audi's e-tron- it's sized like the A4 but it's DOUBLE the price. OEMs are automatically going to edge toward 'Tesla-tier' pricing if they can get away with it.  Only nissan & Chevrolet seem determined to sell to their customer base/make it affordable.

Edited by balthazar

The price of battery density and kilowatts has decreased...but the costs of making good batteries has been sharply increasing because lithium, precious metals and other raw materials have a finite supply or are controlled by countries we don't really get along with.

I completely agree with Balthazar here. Tesla will never make an affordable car in any traditional sense. Their cars have to be jam packed with tech, because they sure as hell won't wow you on interior quality or luxury features. And tech when new is the easiest to markup or promise like the $5000 autonomous level 5 whatever...which Tesla goes to great lengths to obscure that it's refundable if they don't deliver it. They got so many refund requests there that they put a moratorium on the option!

Batteries will get better and so will the charge network.  If there was a better charge network people wouldn't think they need 250-300 miles of range, which adds cost for a lot of battery you aren't using.  0% of buyers buy a gas powered car based on mileage range, because gas stations are all over the place.  If there is more electric charging stations, people would probably be happy with 150-200 mile range electrics which would help get cost down.

Also "electrified" could mean a hybrid Sierra.  And really, why wouldn't you do some form of hybrid on every gas engine you have?  Adding electric to any engine makes it better.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I don't think that's true. I often think of my previous truck, which had dual fuel tanks @ 35 gal total capacity. Low Fuel light come on? Just throw the switch. I used to contemplate switching one tank over to give me 54 gals onboard.

Current diesel truck's low fuel light comes on at around 18-19 gals burned, despite it having a 35 gal capacity!  I remember setting off from my house toward the interstate, a 20 min trip. Didn't notice the low fuel level. Light came on just before the onramp- a quick mental inventory showed no fuel stations on the interstate anytime soon. After turning around & passing by 3 or 4 other stations, actually ended up coming all the way home to refuel at the diesel station by my house- a waste of 40-50 mins time.

I would love to have increased fuel capacity/range. I've never been one to put "ten dollars" in- the less time of my life spent sitting at the pump the better- run it to empty, fill to to the brim.

Edited by balthazar

On 1/27/2019 at 1:22 PM, balthazar said:

That's the opposite mentality needed with EVs.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, balthazar said:

For me, I love road trips so when I bought my first 1994 GMC Suburban SLE, I got it with the extra capacity fuel tank so I knew I could easily drive 500 miles non-stop. But that is based on my desire and needs. I think you are the rare person like me that would think of an extra capacity tank for fewer fuel ups.

Battery is the same way, if you never take a road trip and can easily plug in overnight, then does a person need more than 150-200 miles of battery range. One can plug in everywhere be it slow or fast depending on what is available. Yet for those like myself that do like road trips, I see no reason to not buy the biggest battery pack out there for my use.

For most people dropping a few bucks to top off their EV should be a normal approach to life where you can just plug in and grab some juice anywhere. That is the positive benefit of EVs is being able to drive to work, know you have some errands and as such, plug in and top off the battery while at work. Sure cannot do that with ICE but you can with electric as long as you can access a 110 plug or designated 220 or 440 charge ports in the parking area.

On road trips, I always fill up at a half a tank.   Usually like to stop for a bio break and to stretch my legs every hour or hour and a half.   When I was driving across the void on I-40 I didn't want to go below a half a tank because exits and gas stations can be far apart.    On that trip I got really good gas mileage, one tankful averaged like 28.x mpg.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:43 PM, ocnblu said:

Eventually real pickups will be electric but that will be thirty years in the future....I will be done driving for the most part...or babbling to myself incoherently in a nursing home.

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That is fantastic MPG

Pulling into a station & refueling is 'maintenance', so is uncoiling a cord & plugging in / unplugging-coiling every night.
    I prefer minimal 'maintenance' whenever possible.

My 'work' is all at private homes- I would have to ask HO's permission to recharge my vehicle off their meter.

28 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That is fantastic MPG

Never seen mileage that good since then...but on freeway road trips on I-90 and I-80 I've seen 24-25 mpg regularly--which is good for a 5000lb SUV, IMO.   I have a few decent length trips planned for the spring/summer---Detroit and Ann Arbor, maybe a coastal trip in Michigan, down to Louisville, KY to visit cousins, up to Buffalo and Niagara Falls..

Edited by Robert Hall

The COVID-19 pandemic has basically brought most of the world to halt. Orders to stay at home, businesses either having workers to their work from home or closing down, and unemployment skyrocketing is causing the economy to crater. There are efforts to try and jump-start the economy such as $1,200 stimulus checks. But an executive at Ford wants to see a return of a "cash for clunkers" like program.
      “We think some level of stimulus somewhere on the other side of this would help not only the auto industry and our dealers, which are a huge part of our overall economy, but will help the customers as well,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford’s vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service to Bloomberg.
      “Cash for clunkers was very effective at that time. It would be nice to think we could have something equally as effective for 2020 when we get out of this because it was a great program.”
      According to LaNeve, internal discussions are taking place at Ford about doing a similar program and there are plans to bring the Government in to these talks.
      When asked by Automotive News about this, Ford spokeswoman Rachel McCleery said, "The auto industry is America’s economic engine.We are encouraging Congress to look at a variety of ways to drive job creation, increase demand, support customers and provide long-term stability for the entire auto ecosystem."
      A brief refresher on the Cash for Clunkers program. In 2009, the U.S. Government introduced a billion initiative called the Car Allowance Rebate System, which gave a voucher worth between $2,900 and $4,500 to anyone replacing a vehicle newer than 1984. Their old vehicle would be taken away and disposed of. The program was nicknamed Cash for Clunkers.
      On the surface, the program was a success. Within first month, all of the funds were exhausted. This prompted the U.S. congress infuse an addition two billion into the program, which would be all gone within 17 days. But begin to look deeper and the results are mixed. In 2012, a study published in the Quarterly Journal of Economics described the program as being a bit of a wash,
      "...the effect of the program on auto purchases is almost completely reversed by as early as March 2010 — only seven months after the program ended.”
      Other studies have come to the same conclusion.
      There's also the question of how many perfectly good used cars were taken off the road due to the program.
      Source: Bloomberg via Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Drive, The Truth About Cars

Other studies have come to the same conclusion.
      The coronavirus has caused a number of auto shows to either be pushed back (New York) or cancelled (Geneva). Add another show to the list as the Detroit Free Press is reporting tonight at the Detroit Auto Show has been cancelled.
      In a memo that was sent to sponsors today, organizers of the show said that the TCF Center (formally known as Cobo Hall) has been designated as field hospital by Federal Emergency Management Administration [FEMA] for the next six months.
      "The health and welfare of the citizens of Detroit and Michigan is paramount. TCF Center is the ideal location for this important function at this critical and unprecedented time,” NAIAS executive director Rod Albert wrote in the memo obtained by the Free Press.
      The news was confirmed by ABC affiliate WXYZ after speaking with the chair of the 2020 show, Doug North.
      "The North American International Auto Show is officially canceled. TCF is working with FEMA to use the center to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak," said North.
      Ford and General Motors also confirmed the cancellation to The Detroit News.
      Michigan is becoming one of the hardest hit states with COVID-19. State officials announced today that there are 4,650 confirmed cases and 111 deaths linked to COVID-19. Wayne County, where the show takes place has the highest numbers of the state - 2,316 confirmed cases and 46 deaths.
      This was going to be a big year for the Detroit Auto Show with the move to the summer. Plans included rides and drives; an off-road course, and demonstration of autonomous vehicles.
      Source: Detroit Free Press, The Detroit News, WXYZ

Ford and General Motors also confirmed the cancellation to The Detroit News.
      Source: Detroit Free Press, The Detroit News, WXYZ
      The rumors that have been swirling around for the past year have been laid to rest this morning. General Motors announced that Hummer will be returning as GMC-branded electric pickup truck boasting 1,000 horsepower and 11,500 lb-ft of torque. 0-60 mph will take three seconds. Those hoping for details about battery capacity, charging, and price will need to keep waiting until May 20th when GMC will officially show off the truck. Before then, GMC will preview the truck in a thirty second ad during the Super Bowl on Sunday.
      “GMC builds premium and capable trucks and SUVs and the GMC HUMMER EV takes this to new heights. We are excited to debut our revolutionary zero-emissions truck during the biggest night in TV advertising," said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC in a statement.
      Production will take place at GM's Detroit-Hamtramck plant, with sales beginning next fall.
      Source: GMC
      GMC HUMMER EV Pairs Incredible Capability, Zero Emissions
      “Quiet Revolution” campaign telegraphs GMC’s future with its first all-electric truck DETROIT – GMC will introduce the GMC HUMMER EV, bringing bold design and remarkable capability to the electrified vehicle space, during this weekend’s big game, in an ad titled “Quiet Revolution.”
      The spot juxtaposes the staggering anticipated performance metrics of GMC’s first all-electric truck with the remarkable quietness inherent in the operation of an electric vehicle.
      The GMC HUMMER EV truck will showcase the GMC brand’s design and engineering potential, and will feature:
      1,000 horsepower 11,500 lb-ft of torque 0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds “GMC builds premium and capable trucks and SUVs and the GMC HUMMER EV takes this to new heights,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “We are excited to debut our revolutionary zero-emissions truck during the biggest night in TV advertising.”
      The GMC HUMMER EV will be revealed on May 20, 2020 and built in Michigan at General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.
      The 30-second TV spot is scheduled to air during the second quarter of the big game. The spot highlights the anticipated performance of GMC’s all-electric super truck, which will generate remarkable metrics in terms of horsepower, torque and acceleration while providing incredible on- and off-road capability. All of this is combined with the vastly reduced noise and zero emissions inherent in the operation of an electric vehicle.
      As part of the digital and social media marketing push surrounding the big game ad, GMC will take over the YouTube homepage masthead on Friday, Jan. 31. Customers can follow the conversation at #GMCHummerEV.

• Seems Ford has a Solution for killing 99.9% of Covid-19 in Police Explorers. There is a new setting that will boost the interior temperature to 133 degrees for 15 min to kill 99.9$ of all virus / bacteria in the auto. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/05/here-comes-the-heat/ In additional auto news, seems Acura has decided to ditch as the story says the McPherson Struts. Quote: We’re of course talking about double wishbones, which Acura confirmed will be found up front in the 2021 TLX. If you were worried the TLX would end up as a flashy retread of your basic Honda Accord or the like, breathe easy — the new car rides atop a dedicated platform, with the eradication of the current-generation model’s MacPherson strut setup lending credence to Acura’s promise of the “quickest, best-handling, and most well-appointed sport sedan in Acura history.” https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/05/back-to-the-future-acura-tlx-ditches-the-macphersons/#more-1722464
    • Seems Renault and Nissan have ruled out a merger of the companies but have decided to close plants and build both Companies auto's in the same plant in regions where it makes sense to save money and become more efficient. Renault and Nissan are going with a global EV platform that both companies will use to build and sell global EVs to be more efficient at lower costs than the competition. Interesting read on their direction and future. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-nissan-renault-alliance-costs/renault-and-nissan-rule-out-merger-as-they-unveil-survival-plan-idUSKBN2330T6 23 states have sued the Potus45 administration over the rollback of efficiency standards for auto's. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-autos-emissions/u-s-states-sue-trump-administration-over-fuel-efficiency-rollback-idUSKBN2332UT To quote the story: Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel called the rule a “gift to the fossil fuel industry” that would harm the state, home to Detroit’s Big Three automakers, because it would reduce automotive-related employment by 4%. She said automakers were afraid of a “mean tweet” from U.S. President Donald Trump.
    • Tesla Y AWD as no RWD or FWD version available starts at $48,690.
    • Interesting editorial on the Pandemic and how it will kill the Sports car. https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/33474/will-the-pandemic-kill-the-sports-car-as-we-know-it Yup, they predict the death of the Mustang and Camaro as we know it with manual transmission being history. Very interesting read. This one is also interesting as FCA has shared access to the potential Dodge version of the 1993 Grand Cherokee. https://www.thedrive.com/news/33690/rare-photo-shows-never-made-dodge-version-of-the-1993-jeep-grand-cherokee Final bit for those that love off road auto's is this Semi Truck custom ride with 1,100 HP. https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/33699/this-1100-hp-off-road-semi-truck-is-perfect-for-minor-errands
    • So, aside from the “off-menu”, stripped model 3 for “$35K”, up until yesterday the 3 was $40 grand to start. Too high above the median family sedan level, IMO. What is the price for the Y?

1. Charger4U