GMC Considers Whether It Should Do An Electrified Sierra

They would join the likes of Ford and Rivian

There is a growing number of automakers who are announcing plans to electrify their lineup, while others are considering it. GMC is the latter category according to a new report from CNBC.

“Certainly, it’s something we’re considering," said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC when asked if there was the possibility of an electric Sierra.

Aldred wouldn't say much more than that except mentioning that General Motors CEO Mary Barra has already made comments about "an all-electric future."

It wouldn't be surprising if an all-electric Sierra sparks an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado since they are basically the same truck, allowing GM to take advantage of economies of scale and spreading the cost of development. But the cost of batteries is still a big drawback. Researchers at Boston Consulting Group say each individual battery cell generally cost $150 to $200. Aldred said that battery tech is still expensive "that makes it difficult to target mainstream segments, unless a carmaker like GM is willing to accept lower margins." But that's where GMC could take the lead as it is currently positioned as something more premium than its Silverado brethren, with such features as the Multi-Pro tailgate.

Ford has already announced plans for an F-150 EV, and there is start-up automaker Rivian with the R1T that is expected to go into production in late 2020.

Source: CNBC

They're going to put a 4 banger in their Silverado but not hybrid tech in a Sierra..?

Love this as an alternative to the Rivian R1T and the F150e. Would be great as that is what we want, a crewcab all electric pickup truck. :metal:

Sorry I managed to read something incorrectly.

Third time's the charm?  They've been doing Hybrid and eAssist trucks for a while.  I think an all electric Sierra would be an interesting take, but the price will be huge or the range will be short. I would expect over $100k for a Sierra Denali EV

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Probably $100k w/ a 50 mile range, and weighing 7500lbs w/ 2000 lb towing capacity..

Edited by Robert Hall

as that is what we want

LOL... "we" meaning you?  I don't hear a bunch of clamoring from real truck people for this crap.

39 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Let the market sort them out McFly.

You sassy little blu, you must be feeling better. :P

It is not a matter of IF it is a matter of WHEN.   One day batteries will be cheap, that is how technology works.  I think one day an electric will cost the same as a similar horsepower gas car.  We just don’t know when that day is.

We're on the iPhone X now- how come it isn't 'cheap'?  Haven't battery costs dropped even over the iPhone's lifecycle?

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Actually battery costs have dropped but other technologies that have been crammed into the phone have pushed the prices higher. It’s higher price has next to squat to do with the battery.

Let the market sort them out McFly.

You sassy little blu, you must be feeling better. :P

In fairness he probably didn’t hear from a bunch of rich people clamoring for a Tesla Model S yet here it is, outselling the likes of the S Class.

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Ahhh- an iPhone is a complicated device with numerous bits & features and new, updated models are intro'd with regularity. Much like automobiles.

My point was- battery cost alone is NOT the singular factor setting EV vehicle prices. As OEMs strive for the '10-min charge/ 500 mile/ 0-60 in 1.5 sec' EV, they will continue to cram technologies in, and the pricing -- likely --  will never become competitive with ICE counterparts. Those holding out hopes for a battery cost blow-out at pennies on the dollar showing up in the MSRP are going to be either waiting a long time, or much longer.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

But do people who try it stay with it for their next vehicle?

Maybe you should ask them but I am willing to bet that Tesla already has a fair number of repeat buyers.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I see what you’re saying but what you are suggesting involves a crystal ball. My theory is that once EVs become mainstream, there will be lower cost options, just like there are with ICE autos. To add to that point, I will say that it’s not like ICEs have been all that affordable over the last few decades. Sorry but when Civics option out over $30K, we have a problem that is much bigger than whether EVs can compete.

Edited by surreal1272

I don't disagree with your point on the general level of new vehicle prices; you're right. Still, a tangential issue here.

But it's not all 'crystal balling'.  We do have some pricing history example under our belt with Tesla.  Still no promised base price Model 3... jacked prices on the S & X (even as corporate volume rises steadily) - this shows the opposite trend toward passing on any battery cost savings to the consumer.  And as I've stated before; once consumers support an ever-increasing take rate for a vehicle priced at $XX (especially when the OEM is straining to fulfill demand), there is zero motivation to lower pricing, regardless of material costs.

Look at audi's e-tron- it's sized like the A4 but it's DOUBLE the price. OEMs are automatically going to edge toward 'Tesla-tier' pricing if they can get away with it.  Only nissan & Chevrolet seem determined to sell to their customer base/make it affordable.

Edited by balthazar

The price of battery density and kilowatts has decreased...but the costs of making good batteries has been sharply increasing because lithium, precious metals and other raw materials have a finite supply or are controlled by countries we don't really get along with.

I completely agree with Balthazar here. Tesla will never make an affordable car in any traditional sense. Their cars have to be jam packed with tech, because they sure as hell won't wow you on interior quality or luxury features. And tech when new is the easiest to markup or promise like the $5000 autonomous level 5 whatever...which Tesla goes to great lengths to obscure that it's refundable if they don't deliver it. They got so many refund requests there that they put a moratorium on the option!

Batteries will get better and so will the charge network.  If there was a better charge network people wouldn't think they need 250-300 miles of range, which adds cost for a lot of battery you aren't using.  0% of buyers buy a gas powered car based on mileage range, because gas stations are all over the place.  If there is more electric charging stations, people would probably be happy with 150-200 mile range electrics which would help get cost down.

Also "electrified" could mean a hybrid Sierra.  And really, why wouldn't you do some form of hybrid on every gas engine you have?  Adding electric to any engine makes it better.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I don't think that's true. I often think of my previous truck, which had dual fuel tanks @ 35 gal total capacity. Low Fuel light come on? Just throw the switch. I used to contemplate switching one tank over to give me 54 gals onboard.

Current diesel truck's low fuel light comes on at around 18-19 gals burned, despite it having a 35 gal capacity!  I remember setting off from my house toward the interstate, a 20 min trip. Didn't notice the low fuel level. Light came on just before the onramp- a quick mental inventory showed no fuel stations on the interstate anytime soon. After turning around & passing by 3 or 4 other stations, actually ended up coming all the way home to refuel at the diesel station by my house- a waste of 40-50 mins time.

I would love to have increased fuel capacity/range. I've never been one to put "ten dollars" in- the less time of my life spent sitting at the pump the better- run it to empty, fill to to the brim.

Edited by balthazar

On 1/27/2019 at 1:22 PM, balthazar said:

That's the opposite mentality needed with EVs.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, balthazar said:

For me, I love road trips so when I bought my first 1994 GMC Suburban SLE, I got it with the extra capacity fuel tank so I knew I could easily drive 500 miles non-stop. But that is based on my desire and needs. I think you are the rare person like me that would think of an extra capacity tank for fewer fuel ups.

Battery is the same way, if you never take a road trip and can easily plug in overnight, then does a person need more than 150-200 miles of battery range. One can plug in everywhere be it slow or fast depending on what is available. Yet for those like myself that do like road trips, I see no reason to not buy the biggest battery pack out there for my use.

For most people dropping a few bucks to top off their EV should be a normal approach to life where you can just plug in and grab some juice anywhere. That is the positive benefit of EVs is being able to drive to work, know you have some errands and as such, plug in and top off the battery while at work. Sure cannot do that with ICE but you can with electric as long as you can access a 110 plug or designated 220 or 440 charge ports in the parking area.

On road trips, I always fill up at a half a tank.   Usually like to stop for a bio break and to stretch my legs every hour or hour and a half.   When I was driving across the void on I-40 I didn't want to go below a half a tank because exits and gas stations can be far apart.    On that trip I got really good gas mileage, one tankful averaged like 28.x mpg.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:43 PM, ocnblu said:

Eventually real pickups will be electric but that will be thirty years in the future....I will be done driving for the most part...or babbling to myself incoherently in a nursing home.

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That is fantastic MPG

Pulling into a station & refueling is 'maintenance', so is uncoiling a cord & plugging in / unplugging-coiling every night.
    I prefer minimal 'maintenance' whenever possible.

My 'work' is all at private homes- I would have to ask HO's permission to recharge my vehicle off their meter.

28 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That is fantastic MPG

Never seen mileage that good since then...but on freeway road trips on I-90 and I-80 I've seen 24-25 mpg regularly--which is good for a 5000lb SUV, IMO.   I have a few decent length trips planned for the spring/summer---Detroit and Ann Arbor, maybe a coastal trip in Michigan, down to Louisville, KY to visit cousins, up to Buffalo and Niagara Falls..

Edited by Robert Hall

• By Drew Dowdell
      GMC is taking its CarbonPro carbon-fiber bed into limited production in June for the 2019 model year and making it into its own edition.
      GMC announced the CarbonPro when the 2019 GMC Sierra Denali debuted back in March 2018. GMC says that at first, the CarbonPro edition will be available in limited numbers of Denali and AT4 models and will expand availability of the package in those trims for 2020.
      The CarbonPro bed is lighter than a steel bed by about 60 pounds, but has much stronger durability and scratch resistance.  Carbon fiber is naturally corrosion resistant, making the GMC CarbonPro edition the most corrosion resistant bed in the industry.
      Additionally, the CarbonPro bed has best in class cargo volume, increasing the cargo capacity over the steel bed by 1 cubic foot.  Tire indentations are in place at the front wall for motorcycles, and two additional tie downs are installed on the front wall.
      GMC tested the durability of the bed in extreme scenarios by dropping cinder blocks, 1800 lbs of gravel, and 450-pound water filled steel drums into the bed.  A generator was used to test the high heat exposure durability by aiming the exhaust directly at the corner of the bed. GMC even drove a Snowmobile with a studded track onto the bed and then accelerated at full throttle resulting in only minimal scratching of the material.
      The CarbonPro bed comes with GMC's Multi-pro talegate
      The GMC Denali and AT4 Carbon Pro Editions go on sale this summer.

• By Drew Dowdell
      The CarbonPro bed comes with GMC's Multi-pro talegate
      The GMC Denali and AT4 Carbon Pro Editions go on sale this summer.

• By Drew Dowdell
      The First of GM’s All-New Pickups Posts a 20 Percent Q1 Gain
      Industry retail sales, consumer sentiment rebounding GM average transaction prices set new first-quarter company record Chevrolet Trax, Equinox and Colorado set first-quarter company sales records DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) announced today that it delivered 665,840 vehicles in the first quarter of 2019, with a selling mix of trucks, SUVs and crossovers above 80 percent. GM’s focus on these vibrant segments helped it earn the highest average transaction prices for any first quarter in the company’s history.
      The Chevrolet Trax, Equinox and Colorado all set GM first-quarter sales records and the GMC Acadia posted its best quarter ever. The all-new Cadillac XT4 was the best-selling vehicle in its segment and the Buick Enclave was up 28 percent versus a year ago.
      The all-new full-size pickups from Chevrolet and GMC are also off to a very strong start.
      “Our production launch was very smooth and crew cab sales are brisk, especially those with premium trims,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president, Sales Operations. “We look forward to improving availability of our wide-range of cabs, trim series and powertrains.”
      First-quarter 2019 average transaction prices for GM's all-new, light-duty pickups were $8,040 higher compared to their outgoing models in the first quarter of 2018, with the GMC Sierra leading the segment, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates. Combined sales of the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 crew cabs — the first of the company’s all-new full-size pickups to launch — were up 20 percent year over year. Crew-cab production mix is currently running above 70 percent to meet strong customer demand, up 10 percentage points on average from the previous-generation trucks. More than 95 percent of the all-new GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab sales are high-end trims including SLT, AT4 and Denali. Availability of all-new regular-cab and double-cab pickups was very limited during the quarter due to launch timing, but full production of all cab styles started in March and they currently are arriving in dealer showrooms.
      GM will begin the next phase of its full-size pickup truck launch in the second half of the year with the all-new 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD.
      “We are bullish on pickups and expect to gain sales momentum throughout the year,” said McNeil. “We are installing capacity in Flint to build more HD pickups in total, more crew cab models, more dualies and diesel models, too, all in response to dealer and customer demand.”
      Other new models launching this year include the XT6, Cadillac’s first three-row crossover, and the CT5, Cadillac’s new luxury-sport sedan. The all-new Chevrolet Blazer is also gaining momentum, and the brand will begin national advertising for the vehicle during the second quarter as production ramps up.
      Solid U.S. Economy, Strong GM Operating Discipline
      GM sales in the first quarter of 2019 were down 7 percent year over year compared to a very strong first quarter of 2018.
      “After a slow start to the year, the retail SAAR has risen each month since January,” said Elaine Buckberg, GM chief economist. “Consumer sentiment continued to recover in March and the other key drivers of auto sales like employment, wage growth and household balance sheets are healthy. The Fed paused in raising interest rates, which eases a headwind facing auto sales. Overall, the U.S. economy is in solid shape, which bodes well for the industry outlook.”
      GM’s Commercial deliveries, which are another barometer of economic strength, grew at an average annual rate of more than 7 percent from 2012 to 2017 and were up 11 percent year over year in 2018. Commercial deliveries were close to flat to a very strong first quarter a year ago, even with limited availability of regular light- and heavy-duty pickups, and heavy-duty crew-cab pickups.
      GM has demonstrated continued strong operating discipline and is very well positioned heading into the second quarter:
      The company’s incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction price was 13 percent, down close to a full percentage point year over year, according to J.D Power PIN. GM’s per-unit incentive spending was down $175 year over year, as domestic competitors increased their spending in the quarter, according to J.D. Power PIN. Average transaction prices rose $938 to a first-quarter record of $35,881, according to J.D. Power PIN. Inventory is a healthy 818,967 units heading into the second quarter, which tends to be a strong quarter for industry sales.   QUARTER 1 (CALENDAR YEAR-TO-DATE) JANUARY - MARCH   2019 2018 %Change Volume   2019 2018 %Change Volume   Cascada 746 918 -18.7   746 918 -18.7   Enclave 12,580 9,869 27.5   12,580 9,869 27.5   Encore 24,606 25,468 -3.4   24,606 25,468 -3.4   Envision 7,623 9,696 -21.4   7,623 9,696 -21.4   LaCrosse 2,902 7,066 -58.9   2,902 7,066 -58.9   Regal 3,408 3,708 -8.1   3,408 3,708 -8.1   Buick Total 51,867 56,804 -8.7   51,867 56,804 -8.7   ATS 522 3,962 -86.8   522 3,962 -86.8   CT6 2,188 2,467 -11.3   2,188 2,467 -11.3   CTS 2,428 2,442 -0.6   2,428 2,442 -0.6   Escalade 6,819 8,111 -15.9   6,819 8,111 -15.9   XT4 7,026 0 ***.*   7,026 0 ***.*   XT5 13,278 14,845 -10.6   13,278 14,845 -10.6   XTS 3,734 4,898 -23.8   3,734 4,898 -23.8   Cadillac Total 35,995 36,727 -2.0   35,995 36,727 -2.0   Blazer 3,023 0 ***.*   3,023 0 ***.*   Bolt EV 4,316 4,375 -1.3   4,316 4,375 -1.3   Camaro 12,083 11,792 2.5   12,083 11,792 2.5   Colorado 33,494 28,859 16.1   33,494 28,859 16.1   Corvette 3,943 4,457 -11.5   3,943 4,457 -11.5   Cruze 23,311 39,855 -41.5   23,311 39,855 -41.5   Equinox 88,500 82,398 7.4   88,500 82,398 7.4   Express 17,215 19,774 -12.9   17,215 19,774 -12.9   Impala 13,259 14,067 -5.7   13,259 14,067 -5.7   LCF 559 530 5.5   559 530 5.5   Malibu 34,197 34,150 0.1   34,197 34,150 0.1   Silverado 114,313 135,545 -15.7   114,313 135,545 -15.7   Sonic 4,460 5,983 -25.5   4,460 5,983 -25.5   Spark 6,423 6,945 -7.5   6,423 6,945 -7.5   Suburban 11,029 14,725 -25.1   11,029 14,725 -25.1   Tahoe 20,853 23,643 -11.8   20,853 23,643 -11.8   Traverse 34,223 38,198 -10.4   34,223 38,198 -10.4   Trax 24,580 20,482 20.0   24,580 20,482 20.0   Volt 2,520 3,478 -27.5   2,520 3,478 -27.5   Chevrolet Total 452,401 490,919 -7.8   452,401 490,919 -7.8   Acadia 31,200 29,900 4.3   31,200 29,900 4.3   Canyon 6,954 7,213 -3.6   6,954 7,213 -3.6   Savana 6,566 4,797 36.9   6,566 4,797 36.9   Sierra 40,546 41,468 -2.2   40,546 41,468 -2.2   Terrain 25,364 32,964 -23.1   25,364 32,964 -23.1   Yukon 14,947 15,002 -0.4   14,947 15,002 -0.4   GMC Total 125,577 131,344 -4.4   125,577 131,344 -4.4   GM Vehicle Total* 665,840 715,794 -7.0   665,840 715,794 -7.0                     76 selling days for the QUARTER 1 this year and 77 for same QUARTER last year.