GMC Considers Whether It Should Do An Electrified Sierra

They would join the likes of Ford and Rivian

There is a growing number of automakers who are announcing plans to electrify their lineup, while others are considering it. GMC is the latter category according to a new report from CNBC.

“Certainly, it’s something we’re considering," said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC when asked if there was the possibility of an electric Sierra.

Aldred wouldn't say much more than that except mentioning that General Motors CEO Mary Barra has already made comments about "an all-electric future."

It wouldn't be surprising if an all-electric Sierra sparks an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado since they are basically the same truck, allowing GM to take advantage of economies of scale and spreading the cost of development. But the cost of batteries is still a big drawback. Researchers at Boston Consulting Group say each individual battery cell generally cost $150 to $200. Aldred said that battery tech is still expensive "that makes it difficult to target mainstream segments, unless a carmaker like GM is willing to accept lower margins." But that's where GMC could take the lead as it is currently positioned as something more premium than its Silverado brethren, with such features as the Multi-Pro tailgate.

Ford has already announced plans for an F-150 EV, and there is start-up automaker Rivian with the R1T that is expected to go into production in late 2020.

Source: CNBC

They're going to put a 4 banger in their Silverado but not hybrid tech in a Sierra..?

Love this as an alternative to the Rivian R1T and the F150e. Would be great as that is what we want, a crewcab all electric pickup truck. :metal:

Sorry I managed to read something incorrectly.

Third time's the charm?  They've been doing Hybrid and eAssist trucks for a while.  I think an all electric Sierra would be an interesting take, but the price will be huge or the range will be short. I would expect over $100k for a Sierra Denali EV

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Probably $100k w/ a 50 mile range, and weighing 7500lbs w/ 2000 lb towing capacity..

Edited by Robert Hall

as that is what we want

LOL... "we" meaning you?  I don't hear a bunch of clamoring from real truck people for this crap.

39 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Let the market sort them out McFly.

You sassy little blu, you must be feeling better. :P

It is not a matter of IF it is a matter of WHEN.   One day batteries will be cheap, that is how technology works.  I think one day an electric will cost the same as a similar horsepower gas car.  We just don’t know when that day is.

We're on the iPhone X now- how come it isn't 'cheap'?  Haven't battery costs dropped even over the iPhone's lifecycle?

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Actually battery costs have dropped but other technologies that have been crammed into the phone have pushed the prices higher. It’s higher price has next to squat to do with the battery.

Let the market sort them out McFly.

You sassy little blu, you must be feeling better. :P

In fairness he probably didn’t hear from a bunch of rich people clamoring for a Tesla Model S yet here it is, outselling the likes of the S Class.

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Ahhh- an iPhone is a complicated device with numerous bits & features and new, updated models are intro'd with regularity. Much like automobiles.

My point was- battery cost alone is NOT the singular factor setting EV vehicle prices. As OEMs strive for the '10-min charge/ 500 mile/ 0-60 in 1.5 sec' EV, they will continue to cram technologies in, and the pricing -- likely --  will never become competitive with ICE counterparts. Those holding out hopes for a battery cost blow-out at pennies on the dollar showing up in the MSRP are going to be either waiting a long time, or much longer.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

But do people who try it stay with it for their next vehicle?

Maybe you should ask them but I am willing to bet that Tesla already has a fair number of repeat buyers.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I see what you’re saying but what you are suggesting involves a crystal ball. My theory is that once EVs become mainstream, there will be lower cost options, just like there are with ICE autos. To add to that point, I will say that it’s not like ICEs have been all that affordable over the last few decades. Sorry but when Civics option out over $30K, we have a problem that is much bigger than whether EVs can compete.

Edited by surreal1272

I don't disagree with your point on the general level of new vehicle prices; you're right. Still, a tangential issue here.

But it's not all 'crystal balling'.  We do have some pricing history example under our belt with Tesla.  Still no promised base price Model 3... jacked prices on the S & X (even as corporate volume rises steadily) - this shows the opposite trend toward passing on any battery cost savings to the consumer.  And as I've stated before; once consumers support an ever-increasing take rate for a vehicle priced at $XX (especially when the OEM is straining to fulfill demand), there is zero motivation to lower pricing, regardless of material costs.

Look at audi's e-tron- it's sized like the A4 but it's DOUBLE the price. OEMs are automatically going to edge toward 'Tesla-tier' pricing if they can get away with it.  Only nissan & Chevrolet seem determined to sell to their customer base/make it affordable.

Edited by balthazar

The price of battery density and kilowatts has decreased...but the costs of making good batteries has been sharply increasing because lithium, precious metals and other raw materials have a finite supply or are controlled by countries we don't really get along with.

I completely agree with Balthazar here. Tesla will never make an affordable car in any traditional sense. Their cars have to be jam packed with tech, because they sure as hell won't wow you on interior quality or luxury features. And tech when new is the easiest to markup or promise like the $5000 autonomous level 5 whatever...which Tesla goes to great lengths to obscure that it's refundable if they don't deliver it. They got so many refund requests there that they put a moratorium on the option!

Batteries will get better and so will the charge network.  If there was a better charge network people wouldn't think they need 250-300 miles of range, which adds cost for a lot of battery you aren't using.  0% of buyers buy a gas powered car based on mileage range, because gas stations are all over the place.  If there is more electric charging stations, people would probably be happy with 150-200 mile range electrics which would help get cost down.

Also "electrified" could mean a hybrid Sierra.  And really, why wouldn't you do some form of hybrid on every gas engine you have?  Adding electric to any engine makes it better.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I don't think that's true. I often think of my previous truck, which had dual fuel tanks @ 35 gal total capacity. Low Fuel light come on? Just throw the switch. I used to contemplate switching one tank over to give me 54 gals onboard.

Current diesel truck's low fuel light comes on at around 18-19 gals burned, despite it having a 35 gal capacity!  I remember setting off from my house toward the interstate, a 20 min trip. Didn't notice the low fuel level. Light came on just before the onramp- a quick mental inventory showed no fuel stations on the interstate anytime soon. After turning around & passing by 3 or 4 other stations, actually ended up coming all the way home to refuel at the diesel station by my house- a waste of 40-50 mins time.

I would love to have increased fuel capacity/range. I've never been one to put "ten dollars" in- the less time of my life spent sitting at the pump the better- run it to empty, fill to to the brim.

Edited by balthazar

On 1/27/2019 at 1:22 PM, balthazar said:

That's the opposite mentality needed with EVs.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, balthazar said:

For me, I love road trips so when I bought my first 1994 GMC Suburban SLE, I got it with the extra capacity fuel tank so I knew I could easily drive 500 miles non-stop. But that is based on my desire and needs. I think you are the rare person like me that would think of an extra capacity tank for fewer fuel ups.

Battery is the same way, if you never take a road trip and can easily plug in overnight, then does a person need more than 150-200 miles of battery range. One can plug in everywhere be it slow or fast depending on what is available. Yet for those like myself that do like road trips, I see no reason to not buy the biggest battery pack out there for my use.

For most people dropping a few bucks to top off their EV should be a normal approach to life where you can just plug in and grab some juice anywhere. That is the positive benefit of EVs is being able to drive to work, know you have some errands and as such, plug in and top off the battery while at work. Sure cannot do that with ICE but you can with electric as long as you can access a 110 plug or designated 220 or 440 charge ports in the parking area.

On road trips, I always fill up at a half a tank.   Usually like to stop for a bio break and to stretch my legs every hour or hour and a half.   When I was driving across the void on I-40 I didn't want to go below a half a tank because exits and gas stations can be far apart.    On that trip I got really good gas mileage, one tankful averaged like 28.x mpg.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:43 PM, ocnblu said:

Eventually real pickups will be electric but that will be thirty years in the future....I will be done driving for the most part...or babbling to myself incoherently in a nursing home.

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That is fantastic MPG

Pulling into a station & refueling is 'maintenance', so is uncoiling a cord & plugging in / unplugging-coiling every night.
    I prefer minimal 'maintenance' whenever possible.

My 'work' is all at private homes- I would have to ask HO's permission to recharge my vehicle off their meter.

28 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That is fantastic MPG

Never seen mileage that good since then...but on freeway road trips on I-90 and I-80 I've seen 24-25 mpg regularly--which is good for a 5000lb SUV, IMO.   I have a few decent length trips planned for the spring/summer---Detroit and Ann Arbor, maybe a coastal trip in Michigan, down to Louisville, KY to visit cousins, up to Buffalo and Niagara Falls..

Edited by Robert Hall

• By Drew Dowdell
      Infiniti is planning on launching five new models over the next 3 years. The first will be the QX55 that we reported on the other day.  It is a crossover coupe version of their QX50 crossover and is expected to be powered by the same 2.0-liter variable compression engine.
      Next up is the redesigned QX60. Expect it to look much more SUV like than that of a crossover. Infiniti says the styling will be dramatically different than the QX60 on the lots today. They mention that the gas powered model will have a large grille, which implies there will be an electrified model coming as well.  They are also planning on offering two 12.3-inch touch screens and a two-tone roof.  The QX60 is Infiniti's best selling vehicle.
      After that, Infiniti will be launching three electrified vehicles, a crossover and two sedans.  The vehicle will be offered as fully electric or with serial hybrid technology which is similar to that in the Chevy Volt where a gasoline engine recharges the batteries which power the car. Styling is expected to take after the Q-Inspiration concept shown at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show.  The three vehicles are following a "three vehicles, one platform" concept and will all be related.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Alfa Romeo still has some crossover rollouts coming, however a recent peak at the quarterly earning statement gave a clue as to what else is happening at the brand, and the truth is, it isn't much. During the earnings call this week, CEO Mike Manley said that Alfa's "future product lineup has been significantly scaled back with a corresponding reduction in capital spend."
      Alfa currently has two products on the market in North America, the Giulia sedan and Stelvio crossover.  Those will both be getting a refresh for the 2021 model year.  That same year, a new C-segment crossover will make an appearance. This model, previewed by the Tonale concept car, will ride on the same platform as the Fiat 500x and Jeep Renegade. It should eventually be offered as a plug-in hybrid as well.  After that, a B-segment crossover should appear as well.
      Once the crossovers are on the road though, there isn't much left.  The expected return of the GTV and 8C Competizione don't appear anywhere in the plans.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      QUARTER 3 (CALENDAR YEAR-TO-DATE) JANUARY - SEPTEMBER   2019 2018 %Change Volume   2019 2018 %Change Volume   Cascada 400 1,101 -63.7   2,458 3,393 -27.6   Enclave 13,274 12,807 3.6   41,013 35,227 16.4   Encore 25,008 21,112 18.5   73,905 69,747 6.0   Envision 8,088 5,803 39.4   24,849 22,617 9.9   LaCrosse 1,389 2,290 -39.3   6,778 13,409 -49.5   Regal 2,456 2,793 -12.1   8,849 11,008 -19.6   Buick Total 50,615 45,911 10.2   157,855 155,606 1.4   ATS 158 2,281 -93.1   1,051 10,028 -89.5   CT6 1,625 2,376 -31.6   5,675 7,270 -21.9   CTS 1,128 3,695 -69.5   5,999 8,777 -31.7   Escalade 10,284 9,533 7.9   26,535 27,299 -2.8   XT4 8,986 212 ***.*   23,092 212 ***.*   XT5 12,315 15,093 -18.4   38,711 46,983 -17.6   XT6 4,316 0 ***.*   4,390 0 ***.*   XTS 1,149 4,101 -72.0   10,242 12,664 -19.1   Cadillac Total 39,961 37,291 7.2   115,695 113,240 2.2   Blazer 20,312 0 ***.*   35,107 0 ***.*   Bolt EV 4,830 3,949 22.3   13,111 11,807 11.0   Camaro 12,275 14,448 -15.0   36,791 39,828 -7.6   Colorado 31,657 34,963 -9.5   96,820 104,838 -7.6   Corvette 4,766 4,639 2.7   14,497 14,881 -2.6   Cruze 5,799 31,971 -81.9   45,276 109,662 -58.7   Equinox 79,799 78,014 2.3   253,956 234,379 8.4   Express 22,062 17,509 26.0   60,805 58,696 3.6   Impala 9,638 16,290 -40.8   35,433 43,952 -19.4   LCF 1,358 584 132.5   3,222 1,870 72.3   Malibu 32,432 31,041 4.5   97,603 107,458 -9.2   Silverado HD 34,212 31,939 7.1   95,249 108,410 -12.1   Silverado LD 119,641 101,390 18.0   314,067 315,993 -0.6   Silverado MD 1,629 0 ***.*   2,943 0 ***.*   Sonic 2,148 7,283 -70.5   10,632 17,848 -40.4   Spark 6,616 7,029 -5.9   20,265 18,428 10.0   Suburban 12,391 15,572 -20.4   41,686 45,433 -8.2   Tahoe 26,308 28,951 -9.1   80,103 79,474 0.8   Traverse 41,116 32,908 24.9   113,491 106,998 6.1   Trax 37,407 20,549 82.0   83,777 67,538 24.0   Volt 874 5,429 -83.9   4,540 13,243 -65.7   Chevrolet Total 507,273 485,019 4.6   1,459,521 1,504,038 -3.0   Acadia 20,338 13,485 50.8   79,958 63,493 25.9   Canyon 7,437 8,425 -11.7   26,300 25,273 4.1   Savana 5,021 4,815 4.3   21,090 16,779 25.7   Sierra HD 18,455 16,817 9.7   41,643 43,839 -5.0   Sierra LD 47,743 34,551 38.2   121,958 108,403 12.5   Terrain 23,058 27,428 -15.9   73,410 82,719 -11.3   Yukon 18,737 20,896 -10.3   53,707 55,418 -3.1   GMC Total 140,789 126,417 11.4   418,066 395,924 5.6   GM Vehicle Total* 738,638 694,638 6.3   2,151,137 2,168,808 -0.8                     76 selling days for the third quarter this year and 76 for same quarter last year.

• With the propensity for Teslas to catch fire all by themselves, perhaps waiting for an investigative report is warranted before assuming arson.
    • Not even close. They are both fastback, coupe styled vehicles that have 4 doors. Both are grey in colour.  The grilles are different. The Honda has a chrome bar that continues its course into the headlights. The KIA has a bumper-esque body coloured thing resembling a...bumper dividing the top half of the fascia from the bottom.  The Honda has a conventional mouth/grille going on with no bumper/esque separation going on.  The headlights are worlds apart from one another.  Like I said, the Honda has that chrome bar designed into the headlights  while sporting Acura's jeweled themed style while the KIA has just 2/3 lights. No chrome bar or chrome whatsoever in the front of the car... The side slabs of both vehicles are world's apart. The Honda is flat and the rake moves upward from the front to the back while the KIA  looks to be more horizontally straight and has all kinds of creases  while there are hip bulges on the rear wheels. The C Pillar is different.  Two totally different direction stylings on the C Pillar.    The mirrors are different.  The Honda mirrors are attached to the body while the KIA's is not.  Even the door handles are placed in very different locations of the doors because the doors are not even the same style and positioned in the same way.  And if you look closer than what you wanted to do to justify your opinion, the KIA  is a  sleeker vehicle...it looks waaaaaaay newer than that Accord. That Accord pic you posted already looks dated... Now...other than having modern  day computer engineered aerodynamic  fastback silhouettes that makes ALL cars of the modern era to somewhat resemble each other, there are virtually NO similar design cues anywhere on both vehicles...
    • Also Subaru seems to have kept to bland 2009'sh style for their sedans.    Would be interesting to see total midsize sedan sales figures from 2004 vs 2019, maybe down by 50%?

1. grandprixman