PSA's CEO Says Opel's Engineers Are Working On Models for U.S. Return

Also announced plans to electrify their entire lineup

PSA Group CEO Carlos Tavares told attendees of the Automotive News World Congress yesterday they are employing the know-how from Opel engineers to develop vehicles for the U.S. market. Tavares declined to say which brand will lead the charge but did hint that future Opel models would be engineered to be compliant with U.S. regulations.

Launching one of PSA Group's brands will be the last step in the company's 10-year plan of re-entering the U.S. market. Already, PSA is offering mobility services in parts of the U.S. and will launch a car sharing service in two to three big cities within the year.

“A 10-year plan gives us the appropriate time to properly understand this crucial market and launch the right products and services,” said Tavares.

Travares also revealed that PSA is planning to offer all of its vehicles with some sort of electrification option (electric, plug-in hybrid, and hybrid) by 2025.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters via Autoblog

Opel folks is what will give them an insight into the US consumer as right now nothing PSA makes is of any interest I bet to the bulk of the US buyers.

PSA is like Fiat and can be left on road dead. No one wants their crapo products IMHO.

As much as I like Citroen, it's gotta be Opel that is coming.  It would be the only way to justify the Opel purchase by PSA.

Maybe Citroen can be a luxury division and have Opel/Citroen dealers like Chevy/Cadillac.

I could see DS coming as the premium brand, they would need emphasize the Frenchness as an alternative to the usual German and Asian luxury marques.... (DS is marketed as a separate brand from Citroen in Europe).  They have some pretty good looking hatchbacks and crossovers.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

13 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I really should have been in marketing.... I wrote the ad copy for that in my head in 15 seconds.

Sacre' bleu!   Now I'm hungry for crepes, boeuf bourguignon, coq au vin... I have some French restaurants I need to visit in Cleveland's hipster-infested gentrified neighborhoods..

6 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

If Citroen does come to the US, I'll be severely disappointed if their ads don't heavily feature the songs of Edith Piaf

Piaf would be interesting.  Or to target a younger audience maybe mix in some Daft Punk, Phoenix or M83...or Mylene Farmer (though she is Quebecois).

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Heck, I like Daft Punk, but I never associated them with France.  La Vie En Rose is nearly an unofficial French National Anthem.

alfa can't convince anyone of their italianness being superior to the germans so the french may as well just surrender this entire dumb idea.

3 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

Heck we renamed French Fries to American Fries. PSA is Dead man walking, Opel or nothing at this point with DS as a store within a store at a higher level.

I think Citroen could do well.  They focus on ride quality rather than Nurburgring cornering which makes them different than Germans and should appeal to the aging baby boomer population we have.

Opel could do okay but I don’t know if they would have anything better or different than GM or Ford already sell here.  And if you want to break into a new market you have to have something much better than what is already there.

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I get what you are saying SMK, My only thought is the Baby boomers are NOT buying auto's as they wind down into the grave and Millennials are not too interested in auto's maybe due to debt load.  Seems the current buyers are into driving machines, not ride quality like a lazy boy recliner.

...My only thought is the Baby boomers are NOT buying auto's are they wind down into the grave...

Baby boomers, loosely defined, are currently between 53 and 63 years old. Know what the average vehicle buyer age is? Know how many vehicles sold in the U.S. last year?
    And unless the average lifespan dropped by some 20 years, I'd hope they're not all 'winding down into the grave' all of a sudden. That would SLAUGHTER vehicle sales if it were true.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

54 to 72...  (1946-1964 is the standard definition of the Baby Boomer years).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Oops- yeah: '46-64. In that it's January, I calculated thusly : 2017-1964 = 53 yrs old, or the AVERAGE new car buyer.
    Last car my grandfather bought, he was 90.

My Dad last bought a new car at 76, but he passed at 79.    Yeah, I don't see the Baby Boomers lessening car buying dramatically for a while.   My generation is small (X), but we will still be buying for a few decades..

56 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

54 to 72...  (1946-1964 is the standard definition of the Baby Boomer years).

OK, guess I am off a bit as to me baby boomers are those in their mid to late 60's and older and they are not seeming to buy big ticket items like they did 10 years ago. With the fall out from our great depression of 2007 to 2012, I wonder just how many baby boomers can now really afford expensive new auto's, those being 62 or older in retirement.

I get 53 years old might be the average age of auto buyers but the market has shifted considerably from the buyer days of float mobiles. Some one wanting an auto that floats like the 70's, 80's and early 90's I think is much rarer than those wanting an auto that is more of a driving machine!

Some one wanting an auto that floats like the 70's, 80's and early 90's I think is much rarer than those wanting an auto that is more of a driving machine! reliable appliance.

Fixed that for you.   Baby Boomers still buy Camrys and pickups, though.   It's funny, both my siblings are Baby Boomers and all my cousins are boomers (some have kids that are my generation).    I've read that minivans are popular w/ many retirees, easy to get in and out of and room for grandkids.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I don't think that's a significant volume of consumers. Immaterial- there's no 'floaters' left. Still sold 17.1 million vehicles last year.

Edited by balthazar

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Nice reliable correction. Yea, I know there are still plenty of 50+ year olds buying those reliable appliances. Just do not get the desire to buy a lemming mobile.

I know I am the start of the Gen X crowd being born in 1967. But to me boomers are those in their retirement years now. :P

I don't think that's a significant of consumers. Immaterial- there's no 'floaters' left. Still sold 17.1 million vehicles last year.

Must be a mid west and east coast thing ;)

JK

Yea plenty of Camry, Impalas, etc. being sold based on numbers. :blink:

Lucky it is not as bad as those later years I mentioned. :P

Still plenty of boomers out there working--Sergio Marchionne, Jeff Bezos, Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Donald Trump (though he golfs a lot), Tom Cruise, my sister, etc.. ;)

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

LOL, Except for Potus45 which I see more of a bully harassment of our great country, I do not see those working as being part of the baby boomers even if they are of the retirement age.

Too me boomers are retired peeps, those that choose to work or have to work are the Gen X Awesome Crowd! :D

I believe the C3 and C5 Aircross would sell well here, the rest of their merry band of hatchbacks I don't think so, but these 2 would sell for sure.

citroen_c3_aircross_08.jpg

cl-17.037.005.jpg

Edited by smk4565

Those are so freaking ugly, remind me of the Fiat crap machines. Nothing desirable about those two machines IMHO.

After 20 years, Audi will be sending off the TT coupe and convertible into the great parking lot in the sky. During the brand's annual meeting today, Audi CEO Bram Schot said a new strategy focusing on sustainability means the brand has to cut a number of models that don't make economic sense.
      “There will be lots of things that we won’t do any more in the future, or things that we do less. We focus maximum resources on our key projects,” said Schot.
      This is part of an effort to get the brand back on track in terms of sales and profit after the diesel emission scandal which culminated in the arrest of former CEO Rupert Stadler and an 800 million euro ($895 million) fine.
      Schot did reveal that the TT would be replaced by a new "emotive" electric vehicle in the same price range. No other details were given.
      The TT isn't the only model on the chopping block. The R8 sportscar is being questioned as to whether or not it fits into Audi's new focus. Also, the successor to the A8 flagship may go all-electric.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. (GAC) made a big splash at the Detroit Auto Show this year with a number of models destined for the U.S. The plan at the time was to begin talking with dealers at the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in March, with sales to follow early next year. But GAC has postponed plans of coming to the U.S. due to the trade war.
      In a statement issued to Bloomberg, GAC said “the escalation of China-U.S. trade frictions” and distribution “uncertainties” had made them decide to put their plans on hold. It's unclear how long this postponement will last, but it will likely be some months - maybe years.
      Many Chinese automakers have made pronouncements to sell vehicles in the U.S. for over a decade, with none coming to shore. As Automotive News notes, Chinese Automaker Zotye as recently as this month was still recruiting dealers and planning to begin sales in the U.S. late next year. Bloomberg reached out to other Chinese automakers,
      Great Wall: No immediate comment on whether or not it plans on adjusting its plans to coming to the U.S. Lynk & Co. (under the Geely umbrella): Spokesperson said they are "evaluating" plans for North America Source: Bloomberg, Automotive News (Subscription Required)

On Wednesday, Honda CEO Takahiro Hachigo announced plans for the future of the company's automobile division. Efficiency was the theme in Hachigo's speech in terms of their lineup. manufacturing, and driving.
      One of the initiatives put forth by Hachigo was to cut down on the number of variations on offer in their global lineup, along with the dropping of various regional nameplates.
      "However, as a result of accommodating regional needs somewhat excessively in each individual region, we recognize that the number of models and variations at the trim and option level have increased and our efficiency has declined. So, we will undertake initiatives to further strengthen our inter-regional coordination and collaboration and advance our art of making automobiles in order to simultaneously increase the attractiveness and efficiency of both global and regional models," he said.
      "With this initiative, by 2025, we will reduce the total number of variations at the trim and option level for our global models to one-third of what we have now.In addition, we will increase efficiency by eliminating and consolidating some similar regional models into even more competent models shared across multiple regions."
      This will allow Honda to simplify model allocation at their various assembly plants around the road. According to Hachigo, this will allow the company to achieve "100 percent capacity utilization worldwide by 2020" and cut production costs by 10 percent by 2025.
      Part of that initiative involves a new modular architecture that will debut in a global model next year. No details on the vehicle were provided, but Honda says the goal of the architecture "is to commonize about 70 percent of the components" used in a vehicle such as the engine bay and passenger cabin.
      Honda is also planning to have two-thirds of their global lineup electrified by 2030. Furthermore, it wants 100 percent of its European lineup to be electrifed by 2025. To do this, Honda is readying a new electric city car known as the e, along with deploying their two-motor i-MMD hybrid setup to all of their models in Europe. In the U.S. Honda is planning to launch more hybrid models, and increase their electric car lineup with some help from General Motors.
      “In North America, we will jointly develop battery components with General Motors and introduce highly-competitive battery EVs in the market,” said Hachigo.

Press Release is on Page 2
      Summary of Honda CEO Speech on Automobile Business Direction
      Remarks by Takahiro Hachigo, President & CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. May 8, 2019
      Honda has been working on two top-priority management challenges in the midst of abrupt changes in the global business environment surrounding the automobile industry: to strengthen the structure of our automobile business and to further increase the speed of business transformation for future generations.
      So, today, I would like to introduce some initiatives we are taking for our automobile business, especially how we are strengthening the structure of our automobile business, the direction we are taking with electrification, as well as some progress we have made to date.
      Strengthening automobile business structure
      Ever since I became the president of the company, I have been conveying the message that we will make Honda strong by creating strong products and also by strengthening our inter-regional coordination and collaboration. We put special emphasis on the strengthening of our global models, which have been the source of Honda's core competence, and also the enhancement of our regional models.
      As a result, we currently have the five global models, namely Civic, Accord, CR-V, Fit/Jazz and Vezel/HR-V, and these five strong models now account for 60% of our global automobile sales. At the same time, our regional models such as the N Series for Japan, Pilot for North America and Crider for China are playing an important role as a source of growth for each respective region.
      However, as a result of accommodating regional needs somewhat excessively in each individual region, we recognize that the number of models and variations at the trim and option level have increased and our efficiency has declined. So, we will undertake initiatives to further strengthen our inter-regional coordination and collaboration and advance our art of making automobiles in order to simultaneously increase the attractiveness and efficiency of both global and regional models.
      Strengthening inter-regional coordination and collaboration
      As for inter-regional coordination and collaboration, under the new operational structure we adopted for our automobile operations starting from April, we began reviewing and sharing the product lineup by grouping some of our six regions outside Japan based on a similarity of key factors, such as market needs and environmental regulations. With this initiative, by 2025, we will reduce the total number of variations at the trim and option level for our global models to one-third of what we have now. In addition, we will increase efficiency by eliminating and consolidating some similar regional models into even more competent models shared across multiple regions.
      Advancement of our art of making automobiles (automobile development)
      As for the advancement of automobile development, since I became the president, we have been increasing the efficiency and speed of our Monozukuri (the art of making things) by innovating the entire process, from planning and development all the way through production, by enabling the S-E-D-B (sales, manufacturing, R&D, purchasing*1) functions to collaborate beyond the boundaries of their divisions.
      Moreover, we have already introduced the Honda Architecture in our development.
      The Honda Architecture is a company-wide initiative which will increase the efficiency of development and expand parts-sharing for our mass-production models. The first model being developed with this new method will be the global model we are launching next year. And we will continue increasing the number of models to which we apply this new architecture.
      With the strengthening of global and regional models through inter-regional coordination and collaboration and with the introduction of the Honda Architecture, by 2025, we will reduce the number of manhours we use for the development of mass-production models by 30%, and we will repurpose those manhours to accelerate our research and development in advanced areas for the future. In this way, we can continue creating new technologies which will support the future of Honda.
      Strengthening our operational structure in the area of production
      In addition to the area of development, we are further strengthening our operational structure in the area of production as well, so that we can create strong products with high efficiency.
      We are making steady progress in optimizing our production capacity in all regions. When this is complete, we are expecting to see that our global capacity utilization rate, excluding China, will increase from 90% recorded in 2018, and we will be producing at full capacity by 2022.
      In China, the third plant of Dongfeng Honda became newly operational, and this put us in a position where we can definitely accommodate market demand in China. We believe that this progress we made paved the way for the optimization of our global production capacity.
      From here onward, we think it is important to increase our competitiveness by increasing the efficiency of our production system in North America.
      For our business in North America, while keeping pace with sales expansion, we enhanced our model lineup and established a flexible production system where our plants sometimes produce various models in duplication to accommodate changes in market demand. However, as a result of the pursuit of high flexibility, an increase in the investment amount and a decline in production efficiency started to become an issue. Therefore, in North America as well, we will reduce the number of variations at the trim and option level, and at the same time, we will simplify the production model allocation at each plant. Through this initiative, we will re-establish a highly-efficient production system and realize the growth of North American business through the pursuit of quality.
      By implementing these initiatives to increase production efficiency in each region, we are expecting to reduce global cost in the area of production by 10% by 2025, compared to the cost recorded in 2018.
      Through all these initiatives I have mentioned, we will steadily strengthen the structure of our automobile business and realize the solidification of our existing automobile businesses by 2025, and, at the same time, we will accelerate our preparation for the future.
      Direction for the electrification of our automobile products
      Striving to realize a carbon-free society, Honda set a goal to electrify two-thirds of our global automobile unit sales by 2030.
      When we talk about the introduction of electrified vehicles, there are two perspectives. One is the improvement of fuel economy, and the other is zero emissions. Regulations for the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards are becoming increasingly stringent in every country around the world and complying with CAFE standards is one of the most important challenges for the automobile industry. At Honda, in light of the required infrastructure and how people use automobiles, we believe that hybrid technology is, at this moment, the most effective way for us to comply with CAFE standards. Therefore, we will electrify our products mainly with hybrid technologies. By increasing sales of our hybrid models all around the world, Honda will contribute to the global environment through the improvement of fuel economy.
      To this end, we will expand the application of our 2-motor hybrid system to the entire lineup of Honda vehicles. In addition to the 2-motor hybrid system which is compatible with mid-to-large-sized vehicles, we developed a new, more compact 2-motor hybrid system suitable for small-sized vehicles. This small-sized 2-motor hybrid system will be adopted first by the all-new Fit which we are planning to exhibit as a world premiere at the Tokyo Motor Show this fall.
      In addition to the expansion of the lineup of products equipped with the 2-motor hybrid system, we also will expand the application of the 2-motor hybrid system on a global basis. With that, by 2022, we are expecting to reduce the cost of the 2-motor hybrid system by 25% compared to the cost of this system in 2018.
      As for zero emission vehicles, with our battery EVs we will comply with the Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) program being adopted by California and other states in the U.S. and China's New Energy Vehicle (NEV) mandate. We will efficiently introduce our battery EVs to the market by selecting the most appropriate partners and resources to satisfy the different needs in each region.
      In North America, we will jointly develop battery components with General Motors and introduce highly-competitive battery EVs in the market.
      In China, in order to keep up with the fast speed of electrification, we have already begun introducing battery EV models developed together with our local joint venture companies in China. While envisioning the introduction of battery EV models from the Honda brand, we will continue utilizing local resources in China and introduce more battery EV models in a timely manner to fulfill local market needs in China.
      In Europe and Japan, we will introduce the Honda e, a new battery EV model, which was recently introduced as a prototype at the Geneva Motor Show.
      To summarize, Honda will popularize and improve the business feasibility of electrified vehicles by focusing on hybrid vehicles and battery EVs.
      Changes in operational structure
      In order to ensure the solid implementation of these initiatives I just introduced for our automobile business, we renewed our operational structure as of April. The aims of this structural change are to establish an organization which brings all regional operations together to strongly facilitate inter-regional coordination and collaboration and to increase the speed of our business operations by enabling prompt decisions and prompt execution.
      Today, I introduced our initiatives to strengthen our automobile business structure and the direction of our electrification. Under the new organizational structure, we will realize our goals with a keen sense of speed.
      Closing
      As we stated in our 2030 Vision, Honda is striving to grow through the pursuit of quality so that we can fulfill our vision to "Serve people worldwide with the joy of expanding their life's potential."
      Honda will continue taking on new challenges while being driven by strong passion, so that we can continue to be a company that society wants to exist even in 2050 after Honda becomes more than 100 years old.
      *1 S-E-D-B: Sales, Engineering (Manufacturing), Development (R&D), Buying (Purchasing)

1. noah vamosy