PSA's CEO Says Opel's Engineers Are Working On Models for U.S. Return

Also announced plans to electrify their entire lineup

PSA Group CEO Carlos Tavares told attendees of the Automotive News World Congress yesterday they are employing the know-how from Opel engineers to develop vehicles for the U.S. market. Tavares declined to say which brand will lead the charge but did hint that future Opel models would be engineered to be compliant with U.S. regulations.

Launching one of PSA Group's brands will be the last step in the company's 10-year plan of re-entering the U.S. market. Already, PSA is offering mobility services in parts of the U.S. and will launch a car sharing service in two to three big cities within the year.

“A 10-year plan gives us the appropriate time to properly understand this crucial market and launch the right products and services,” said Tavares.

Travares also revealed that PSA is planning to offer all of its vehicles with some sort of electrification option (electric, plug-in hybrid, and hybrid) by 2025.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters via Autoblog

Opel folks is what will give them an insight into the US consumer as right now nothing PSA makes is of any interest I bet to the bulk of the US buyers.

PSA is like Fiat and can be left on road dead. No one wants their crapo products IMHO.

As much as I like Citroen, it's gotta be Opel that is coming.  It would be the only way to justify the Opel purchase by PSA.

Maybe Citroen can be a luxury division and have Opel/Citroen dealers like Chevy/Cadillac.

I could see DS coming as the premium brand, they would need emphasize the Frenchness as an alternative to the usual German and Asian luxury marques.... (DS is marketed as a separate brand from Citroen in Europe).  They have some pretty good looking hatchbacks and crossovers.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

13 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I really should have been in marketing.... I wrote the ad copy for that in my head in 15 seconds.

Sacre' bleu!   Now I'm hungry for crepes, boeuf bourguignon, coq au vin... I have some French restaurants I need to visit in Cleveland's hipster-infested gentrified neighborhoods..

6 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

If Citroen does come to the US, I'll be severely disappointed if their ads don't heavily feature the songs of Edith Piaf

Piaf would be interesting.  Or to target a younger audience maybe mix in some Daft Punk, Phoenix or M83...or Mylene Farmer (though she is Quebecois).

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Heck, I like Daft Punk, but I never associated them with France.  La Vie En Rose is nearly an unofficial French National Anthem.

alfa can't convince anyone of their italianness being superior to the germans so the french may as well just surrender this entire dumb idea.

3 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

Heck we renamed French Fries to American Fries. PSA is Dead man walking, Opel or nothing at this point with DS as a store within a store at a higher level.

I think Citroen could do well.  They focus on ride quality rather than Nurburgring cornering which makes them different than Germans and should appeal to the aging baby boomer population we have.

Opel could do okay but I don’t know if they would have anything better or different than GM or Ford already sell here.  And if you want to break into a new market you have to have something much better than what is already there.

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I get what you are saying SMK, My only thought is the Baby boomers are NOT buying auto's as they wind down into the grave and Millennials are not too interested in auto's maybe due to debt load.  Seems the current buyers are into driving machines, not ride quality like a lazy boy recliner.

...My only thought is the Baby boomers are NOT buying auto's are they wind down into the grave...

Baby boomers, loosely defined, are currently between 53 and 63 years old. Know what the average vehicle buyer age is? Know how many vehicles sold in the U.S. last year?
    And unless the average lifespan dropped by some 20 years, I'd hope they're not all 'winding down into the grave' all of a sudden. That would SLAUGHTER vehicle sales if it were true.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

54 to 72...  (1946-1964 is the standard definition of the Baby Boomer years).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Oops- yeah: '46-64. In that it's January, I calculated thusly : 2017-1964 = 53 yrs old, or the AVERAGE new car buyer.
    Last car my grandfather bought, he was 90.

My Dad last bought a new car at 76, but he passed at 79.    Yeah, I don't see the Baby Boomers lessening car buying dramatically for a while.   My generation is small (X), but we will still be buying for a few decades..

56 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

54 to 72...  (1946-1964 is the standard definition of the Baby Boomer years).

OK, guess I am off a bit as to me baby boomers are those in their mid to late 60's and older and they are not seeming to buy big ticket items like they did 10 years ago. With the fall out from our great depression of 2007 to 2012, I wonder just how many baby boomers can now really afford expensive new auto's, those being 62 or older in retirement.

I get 53 years old might be the average age of auto buyers but the market has shifted considerably from the buyer days of float mobiles. Some one wanting an auto that floats like the 70's, 80's and early 90's I think is much rarer than those wanting an auto that is more of a driving machine!

Some one wanting an auto that floats like the 70's, 80's and early 90's I think is much rarer than those wanting an auto that is more of a driving machine! reliable appliance.

Fixed that for you.   Baby Boomers still buy Camrys and pickups, though.   It's funny, both my siblings are Baby Boomers and all my cousins are boomers (some have kids that are my generation).    I've read that minivans are popular w/ many retirees, easy to get in and out of and room for grandkids.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I don't think that's a significant volume of consumers. Immaterial- there's no 'floaters' left. Still sold 17.1 million vehicles last year.

Edited by balthazar

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Nice reliable correction. Yea, I know there are still plenty of 50+ year olds buying those reliable appliances. Just do not get the desire to buy a lemming mobile.

I know I am the start of the Gen X crowd being born in 1967. But to me boomers are those in their retirement years now. :P

I don't think that's a significant of consumers. Immaterial- there's no 'floaters' left. Still sold 17.1 million vehicles last year.

Must be a mid west and east coast thing ;)

JK

Yea plenty of Camry, Impalas, etc. being sold based on numbers. :blink:

Lucky it is not as bad as those later years I mentioned. :P

Still plenty of boomers out there working--Sergio Marchionne, Jeff Bezos, Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Donald Trump (though he golfs a lot), Tom Cruise, my sister, etc.. ;)

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

LOL, Except for Potus45 which I see more of a bully harassment of our great country, I do not see those working as being part of the baby boomers even if they are of the retirement age.

Too me boomers are retired peeps, those that choose to work or have to work are the Gen X Awesome Crowd! :D

I believe the C3 and C5 Aircross would sell well here, the rest of their merry band of hatchbacks I don't think so, but these 2 would sell for sure.

citroen_c3_aircross_08.jpg

cl-17.037.005.jpg

Edited by smk4565

Those are so freaking ugly, remind me of the Fiat crap machines. Nothing desirable about those two machines IMHO.

Ugly as those are, somebody will still buy one of those.  The Aztek was hardly attractive, but those sold quite well in its time.

Future small cars from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles will not be using an updated version of their small car platform. Instead, they'll be underpinned by PSA Group's Common Modular Platform (CMP).
      Automotive News obtained a letter sent by FCA to suppliers in July stating "to immediately stop any research, development and tooling construction activities on future B-segment (small/subcompact) cars." These include the Fiat 500 and Jeep Renegade to give some context. The letter goes on to say it is moving to CMP and that vehicles based on this will be built at the company's Tychy, Poland plant - home to 500 and Lancia Yplilon production.
      FCA had already put a stop, albeit a temporary one on developing parts for the five new small cars that were destined to use this platform due to COVID-19. There will be one model that will move forward on this orphaned platform - the upcoming 500 electric for Europe.
      As for CMP, this underpins the Peugeot 208 and 2008; Opel/Vauxhall Corsa, Mokka; and the DS3 Crossback. It allows for both combustion and electric powertrains.
      Moving to CMP is another step towards FCA and PSA Group's merger to become Stellantis. It is unclear whether or not the U.S. will see any of the new models that will use CMP from FCA's brands.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      It has been some time since we last reported on PSA Group's plan to re-enter the U.S. When we last checked in, Peugeot was chosen as the brand to be entering the U.S. by 2023 and rumors were swirling about a possible merger between PSA Group and FCA. A lot has changed since then as the two automakers begin to finalize plans for a merger, and the COVID-19 pandemic has no end in sight in the U.S. What does that mean for Peugeot's return to the U.S.?
      "My role is to grow the PSA business in North America, growing our mobility capability and preparing for the launch of Peugeot." said Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America to Automotive News.
      "From our standpoint, we're planning as if [the merger] doesn't exist. We're marching forward as if PSA was going to be there by themselves."
      Dominique is right now focused on the present with the top priority being building out a dealer network for both U.S. and Canada before the launch. He explained that the company is planning a two-prong approach, having franchised dealers and online retailing.
      "The future success for OEMs is the reduction of distribution costs while ensuring both retail and OEM margin sustainability. This has to be done through strong pricing power, not volume turnover," he said.
      Part of this is due to COVID-19 pandemic which has many automakers rethinking how they sell vehicles, something Dominique admits is a big challenge.
      "All my competitors are going to be focusing on digital, which means we have to step up our game and deliver an even stronger customer experience when we launch Peugeot in North America. We need to get out of an environment where the retailers are dependent upon just F&I and service to pay their bills."
      Another challenge facing Dominique, what models to sell in the U.S. The market has changed a lot since PSA Group announced its intentions to re-enter the U.S. Consumers now are focused on trucks and crossovers.
      "I don't have a full-sized truck,. But the C and D segments are what's relevant to us. The C and D segments are high volume and important to North America. That's where we're going to focus initially,"
      To us, this hints at the 3008 and 5008 crossovers being some of the first models to be available.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      We'll excuse you if you forgot that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and PSA Group have been working towards finalizing their merger considering the state of the world at the moment. But the two are making serious headway as they have announced the new name of the multi-national corporation that will form once the two merge. Meet Stellantis.
      Don't worry, you're not the only who is thinking "What" or thinking of some clever joke to make fun of this name. We'll let the two explain what this name means?
      Yeah, if this doesn't like something from a branding agency, we don't what does.
      We should note here that Stellantis will only be used at a corporate level, not as a individual brand for vehicles.
      Source: FCA
      Press Release is on Page 2

STELLANTIS: The Name of the New Group Resulting From the Merger of FCA and Groupe PSA
      July 15, 2020 , Vélizy-Villacoublay, France and London - In a major step as they move toward the completion of their 50:50 merger as defined in the Combination Agreement announced on December 18, 2019, Peugeot S.A. ("Groupe PSA") and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. ("FCA") (NYSE: FCAU / MTA: FCA) today announce that the corporate name of the new group will be STELLANTIS.
      STELLANTIS is rooted in the Latin verb “stello” meaning “to brighten with stars.” It draws inspiration from this new and ambitious alignment of storied automotive brands and strong company cultures that in coming together are creating one of the new leaders in the next era of mobility while at the same time preserving all the exceptional value and the values of its constituent parts. STELLANTIS will combine the scale of a truly global business with an exceptional breadth and depth of talent, knowhow and resource capable of providing the sustainable mobility solutions for the coming decades. The name’s Latin origins pay tribute to the rich history of its founding companies while the evocation of astronomy captures the true spirit of optimism, energy and renewal driving this industry-changing merger.
      The process of identifying the new name began soon after the Combination Agreement was announced and the senior management of both companies have been closely involved throughout, supported by Publicis Group.
      The STELLANTIS name will be used exclusively at the Group level, as a Corporate brand. The next step in the process will be the unveiling of a logo that with the name will become the corporate brand identity. The names and the logos of the STELLANTIS Group’s constituent brands will remain unchanged.
      As previously stated, completion of the merger project is expected to occur in the first quarter of 2021, subject to customary closing conditions, including approval by both companies’ shareholders at their respective Extraordinary General Meetings and the satisfaction of antitrust and other regulatory requirements.

1. Raybob9289