Anthony Fongaro

EV-curious: An Opinion on the Market

Curiosity about electric vehicles is sparking my interest, but am I ready for one?

EV-curious. That’s what I would call myself. Someone that is interested in EVs but just hasn’t found the right one. There are many aspects of an EV that is appealing to me. Instant torque, quick acceleration, the ability to charge at your house or apartment, and the continuation of creating semi-autonomous driving. It’s all so exciting! I’m ready to go out and trade in my 2016 Volkswagen GTI for one now! Or am I? Let’s take a quick look at a small field of electric vehicles, starting with the brand new 2020 Porsche Taycan.

The release of the 2020 Porsche Taycan is a feat in and of itself. The car itself is downright sexy, is has a handsome interior, and performance that is pure Porsche. Over 700 HP for the Turbo S model is impressive. It also costs what you would expect an electric super-Porsche would be since the range topping Taycans are coming out first. These are the Turbo and Turbo S which cost over $150,000. After these come onto the market, less expensive and less powerful versions will come. Would this be the car that I will buy? Sure, once I get that CMO position at a major company. This is a dream electric car, but not one that I would consider just yet.

What about an attainable electric car? There are a few on the market that cover the bases. Vehicles like the Hyundai Kona Electric, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, and others have good to respectable range, decent features, and are not the most expensive vehicles. Average prices of $40,000-$45,000 is a bit steep, but electric cars usually command a premium over gasoline vehicles. They also have good driving aids such as blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control, something that my current car has and is top priority for me. They’re all very good cars but with flaws such as build quality and designs that keep me from considering one. My problem is simple: performance. Electric cars have instant torque at 0 RPM and can be extremely fast. These EVs just don’t cut the mustard for me since they are more about range than blistering speed. For around $45,000, I can get a gas-powered car such as a Genesis G70 3.3T that is faster, has better range, and the safety features I want. Let’s continue from good electric vehicles to “the best”.

Right now, you are probably thinking: “Anthony, you are forgetting the king of electric vehicles. They are synonymous with electric cars and have a huge cult following.” Guess who that is? Yes, that is of course Tesla. You can’t write about electric cars without talking about Tesla. They are a very S 3 X Y R brand indeed. The Model S introduced expensive but seriously quick electric vehicles. The X brought us an odd but much-needed crossover. The 3 is the bread-and-butter maker with a starting price around $40,000, and acceleration that beats almost all vehicles in its class. The Y hasn’t come out yet but is a crossover version of the 3, and the Roadster is a $250,000 supercar. Even though there are three models currently available, I will focus on the Model 3 Performance since that is the one I am most interested in.

There is a lot to like about the Model 3 Performance. It has “performance” in its name and with 450 HP, it is one of the quickest sedans I’ve ever driven. The instant torque from the motors is intoxicating and it handles well for a heavy vehicle. Does it tick all the boxes to convert to a Tesla-fanatic? No. Why? The interior. I am not a fan of controlling absolutely everything with a touchscreen and not having my speedometer in front of me.

The Model 3 Performance can have semi-autonomous driving, but it is a $7,000 option. Tesla’s Autopilot driver-assist system is standard and is regarded to be one of the best, if not the best driver-assist system. Tesla has sold over 250,000 Model 3 vehicles and it is a genuinely amazing feat for a young company. The range is good at over 310 miles. Pricing starts at $55,000 and is fully-loaded around $64,000. If you are okay with the minimal interior and styling, get yourself a Model 3. I personally am not a fan of either of those, so onward we go.

This brings me to a car I am waiting for: The Polestar 2 fastback. Polestar used to be a sub-division of Volvo, like AMG is to Mercedes-Benz. You can still get Polestar-tune Volvos, but Polestar has branched out into their own brand. The Polestar 2 is their first all-electric car. It has over 250 miles of range, 400 HP, and most import to me, gauges that are straight in front of the driver. The design is bold yet looks like an even more modern version of a Volvo. Since Polestar is a sporty company, the performance upgrades include upgraded shocks, brakes, and bigger wheels with Swedish gold seat belts. You get this package mainly for the gold seat belts. Is it pricey at over $60,000? Yes, but it feels justified for the 408 hp and range of 275 miles. 0-60 is said to be around 4.7 seconds but I suspect it will be lower. Will they sell Tesla Model 3 numbers of them? I highly doubt it since they area new brand, but it should be a great competitor to the Tesla Model 3.

I like the concept of electric vehicles. I know that one day, there will be one charging at my house. Am I ready for an electric car? Yes. Is there any on the market that jumps out at me and gives me the satisfaction I have for my current car at a reasonable price of around $40,000 new? No.

Do not get me wrong; there are electric cars that make sense for a multitude of situations. Range and charging are getting better, more features are getting added, and manufacturers are creating electric-only ranges of vehicles that will bring down the costs of more performance-oriented vehicles. I can go in-depth about certain electric cars in a future article. For now, I think I will keep my car and wait until something really catches my eye. That, or wait a few years and hope the Porsche Taycan depreciates enough that I can buy one.

Edited by Anthony Fongaro

Information and/or Photos courtesy of Porsche, Chevrolet, Nissan, Hyundai, Genesis, Tesla, Volvo, and Polestar.

Good write up.

We already know that Audi and Mercedes will have electric sedans out in the next year or so, but these are going to be Model S, Taycan type competitors and probably cost $100k.  BMW is pretty deep in development on the i4.   I think we are 3-5 years out form there being more EV's in the $35-50k range that are desirable cars and not a compliance car like a Kona EV basically is.

Good write up.

I think you're basically right.  We're one more cycle away from having a really good selection of EVs.  2022 is when GM is going to BEV all the things. VW is starting next year.  Ford should be out with some BEV SUVs and Trucks soon. The list goes on.

@Anthony Fongaro Did you actually take a Chevrolet BOLT for a test drive and if so, did you put it in Performance mode? Would like to know what you thought.

My wife and I both test drove one and if it was not for the Black and White dash, she would have said yes to buying one for her to drive and do her job. The performance mode is addictive as it really moves the BOLT along fast, faster than most people realize. You still end up with 200+ miles of range in Performance mode. Also, I am finding plenty of them on the market for around $24-25K with low miles being in the upper teens to low 30 K for miles. Most are the fully loaded Premier version too.

Over all I would say your spot on in regards to your feelings about it and why more people have not gone the EV route yet, they are still waiting for an EV that is more inline with traditional ICE auto's.

That's a supposition AND it's subjective.
    Frankly, I for one don't particularly find the Model 3 'sexy'- it's bland, the rear end is overly stubby (MANY sedans are this way), and the 'despair gray' wheels still look like 'in-transit' protective plastic covers. But other 'sexy / good looking' cars frequently feature a lot more design time and elements; 2 things that cost more.

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

That's a supposition AND it's subjective.

Well yes, but you don't think any modern car is sexy, so you don't count. 😛

Not true! There’s a bunch... a few modern vehicles I think are pretty good designs. But you've got to admit the Model 3’s wheels are about the worst.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

The wheels you're talking about are the special "efficiency wheel" design. It's supposedly for those people who want to eeek every last mile out of their range.

It seems mainstream automakers in their effort to get their first volume EVs out (thinking of the Bolt and Leaf in particular) went down the path of being weird or radically different looking from everything else to get attention, rather than making something normal looking or a variation of an existing model.     Toyota similarly did this with the Prius and Mirai, Honda w/ the first couple Insights and the Clarity.

Are we now at a point where a dedicated EV can look like a normal model and be accepted?  M-B is going this way, will be interesting to see a mainstream brand do it...

Edited by Robert Hall

🤮 Why "despair gray' tho?? Why not machined alloy or body color or anything else (or... speed discs).

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Think about it from a marketing perspective. Honda has a cheap-o $18K Fit, they recon-twiddle the dirty bits & make it an EV, and suddenly the "same car" is $40,000. Sales would be even worse than they are. No; you have to be offered 'something different/special' for the exorbitant price increase. Unfortunately, it's still not yet time for an 'EV version of a mainstream/existing model'... what is should be is a much more attractive/aspirational model. Porsche may be the first brand to figure that out.

One thing that confuses me about the Bolt.  It would have cost precisely $0 more to make it look sexy. It could have been a sedan like the Model 3, for slightly lower price, and actually looked good. Or it could have been a proper sized crossover... either way, it would not have cost more for them to build it that way.

But that's GM for you.  It should have been a sedan or crossover, but GM had to make a dumb decision somewhere, maybe they thought Prius-like hatchbacks were the way to go, but the Nissan Leaf doesn't sell well either, the Model 3 rakes in sales.

Although I don't think GM really has many well styled cars right now, even if it was an SUV they probably would have screwed up the styling.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, balthazar said:

... pricing.

Quoted for truth....

On 9/7/2019 at 8:26 PM, smk4565 said:

The Buicks, Corvette, Camaro, Cadillac all nice....but SUV's From Chevrolet are unattractive IMHO and the latest iteration of trucks was literally conceived in a Meth on the west side of Detroit.

On 9/7/2019 at 10:12 PM, balthazar said:

Nissan Leaf is the global EV sales leader.

Mindless transportation pod extraordinaire....

^ of course; its a nissan after all. Just pointing that out; Tesla is not #1.

Still lovin the Silverado over here. Sierra a bit better, bit I’d be stylistically happy with either.

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ of course; its a nissan after all. Just pointing that out; Tesla is not #1.

It's a one month blip. But in the UK, the Model 3 outsold the Focus which is one of the top 10 popular cars there.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, balthazar said:

But you've got to admit the Model 3’s wheels are about the worst.

That's one of their two available wheel designs.. The second design is available in two sizes, 19" and 20".

Personally, for me Model 3 front looks really awkward and in general I don't think 3 looks good

2018-tesla-model-3-performance-with-perf

On the other hand I think Model S still looks great

574819f0-8248-11e9-bddf-b0d9786935b6

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

My coworker just got new Silverado, personally I think front looks horrible.

7 hours ago, ykX said:

My coworker just got new Silverado, personally I think front looks horrible.

I think it only looks good with a body color grille.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:08 PM, dfelt said:

I did and it wasn't bad, but my problem with it is the entire package. I do love off-the-line acceleration of EVs but it didn't make me smile. Granted, I'm not saying it's a bad car, just that it isn't something I would buy/lease.

Nearly a decade ago, Nissan launched an ambitious assault on the U.S. commercial van market with the launch of their NV vans. It started with the Titan-dervived, body-on-frame NV1500/2500/3500 vans. This was followed by the unibody NV200 van, which was for a time the "Taxi of Tommorow" in New York City. But Nissan is reportedly throwing in the towel.
      Automotive News has learned from a source that it will end production of their commercial vans. No time frame was given.
      "We don't want to go more in the business of vans in the U.S. We will exit," said the source.
      Nissan spokesman Brian Brockman declined to comment about the future of the commercial vans, only saying in a statement that the automaker " is considering a number of opportunities to streamline the product portfolio and drive efficiencies within our manufacturing operations."
      When the NV lineup was launched in 2009, Nissan was hoping to steal away sales from the Detroit Three. At the time, Ford and GM had 97 percent of the large van segment. The NV was positioned as being a more modern option compared to the Ford E-Series and Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana. It was more comfortable with adjustable seats, taller ceiling for easier access to the cargo area, and pre-drilled holes in the body to allow owners to add interior racks easily. But Nissan wasn't able to make decent inroads into this market, only achieving around an eight percent share in the marketplace.
      What was the NV's downfall?
      Brand Loyalty to the American brands Using a modified Titan platform for the larger vans comprised them in urban areas with their extended front nose, and cargo capacity. "A third of the vehicle is dedicated to the engine and passenger compartment instead of cargo. The van takes up more real estate for the same amount of cargo space," explained Sam Fiorani, vice president at AutoForecast Solutions. NV200 Taxis were dinged by taxi companies poor ride quality, difficulty entering/exiting the van for elderly passengers, and increasing maintenance costs. Proved to a be a difficult sale to fleet buyers due to the automaker lacking the numerous combinations of light-trucks that the Detroit three can offer. Trucks and vans work hand in hand to attract sales in the commercial market. "Chevrolet and Ford can be everything to everybody," said Tyler Slade, operating partner at Tim Dahle Nissan Southtowne in Salt Lake City. "When we went to some of these fleet companies, it didn't make sense for them to have trucks from Ford and vans from Nissan." Add in $2.8 billion in cuts that the company is planning to stay afloat and COVID-19, and the death knell was coming sooner than later for the NV family.
      If Nissan does go forward with dropping the NV family, this will be a major blow to about a forth of Nissan dealers in the U.S. They made various investments such as installing heavy-duty lifts capable of lifting fully-loaded vans and having a dedicated sales staff to handle specific fleet issues.
      "Dealers now have serious concerns about their investments in commercial vehicles," said Slade.
      There is also the question as to whether Nissan may try again. Automotive News notes that in the new business strategy outlined last month, Nissan is wanting more global cooperation with its alliance partner Renault. The French automaker already has a number of vans in its lineup and is quite successful in various markets. Nissan already sells a version of the Renault Traffic, called the NV300 in Europe.
      But getting a Renault van into the U.S. as a Nissan will be difficult and costly in terms of homologation. Also, Nissan would still need to figure out how to appeal to larger fleet buyers that go with Ford or GM.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Drive
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

What was the NV's downfall?
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Drive
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears
      While the focus on the electric vehicles have been on the ultra plush and quick models from the likes of Tesla, Audi, and Jaguar, there is a lot of work being done for electric delivery vans. The combination of reduced maintenance, low fuel costs, and an abundance of torque to deal with heavy loads make them a perfect to do deliveries in urban areas. Rivian is the most-well known player here with plans to build out a fleet of electric vans for Amazon. Another player is ready to join the fight.
      Reuters reported yesterday that General Motors is working on a electric van for the commercial market. Five sources reveal that the van - codenamed BV1 - is expected to go into production late next year. It is expected to use Ultium battery technology that GM first talked about back in March. Utilizing this could solve one of the big issues with EVs, price. By switching Cobalt (expensive) for Aluminum (less expensive), GM says it will drop the cost of a battery to $100 per kilowatt-hour - making it around the same cost as regular gas powered van. Analysis done last year put the kilowatt-hour cost of a battery at $159.
      One item still being debated internally is whether the van will be sold as Chevrolet, GMC, or a new brand.
      When asked by Reuters, GM said it is “committed to an all-electric future and is implementing a multi-segment, scalable EV strategy to get there. At this time, we do not have any announcements to make regarding electric commercial vehicles.”
      GM isn't the only company getting on the electric van train. Ford has announced plans for an electric version of the Transit to launch in 2022, and British startup Arrival which has the backing of Hyundai, currently has an order of 10,000 vans from UPS.
      Source: Reuters

Source: Reuters
      This week, Hagerty obtained a document from General Motors' executive director in charge of program management, Michelle Braun that says development on future car and truck programs has been paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But the document also mentions some intriguing information on upcoming powertrains for the C8 Corvette. Here are the details,
      Corvette Z06: 5.5L DOHC V8 known as the LT6 that will produce 650 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. No mention of any type of forced-induction. Corvette Gran Sport: 6.2L OHC V8 with a hybrid system that's expected to produce 600 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. Corvette ZR1: Twin-Turbo 5.5L DOHC V8, dubbed LT7. Output is expected to be 850 horsepower and 800 pound-feet. Corvette Zora: The powerhouse of the C8, it will take the Twin-Turbo LT7 and augment with a hybrid system. This is expected to produce 1,000 horsepower and 975 pound-feet of torque. Hagerty's report says the rollout of the new engines will begin in 2022 with the LT6, but the COVID-19 outbreak may push the plans back.
      Source: Hagerty

• Latest News 2021 Mazda3 Adds Some Turbo Also, a new base engine option for those who can't quite afford the turbo ---> Read More Pickup Trucks Are the Bright Spot In Second Quarter Sales The Trucks Are Alright, Everyone Else TBD ---> Read More Afterthoughts: A Car In Troubled Times Driving To Provide Some Space To What Is Going On In the World ---> Read More 2021 Ford F-150 Features New Tech, Hybrid Power But You'll Need To Look Inside and Under the Skin To See Them ---> Read More Toyota Yaris Bids Farewell To U.S. After 2020 We hardly knew you Yaris and Yaris Hatchback ---> Read More 2021 Volkswagen Arteon Decides To Freshen Up Subtitle Changes Outside, Major Changes Inside  ---> Read More Spying: The Hyundai Santa Cruz Pickup Exists! Hyundai's Upcoming Pickup Begins To Come Into Focus ---> Read More Latest Reviews Quick Drive: 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT A mixed bag in plug-in hybrid form ---> Read More Review: 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate AWD The crossover from Planet Nine ---> Read More Review: 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec Acura starts to find itself again ---> Read More Review: 2020 Volvo S60 and V60 Cross Country A Tale of Two 60s ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Do V6 engines still have a place in midsize sedans? ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters
    • GUYS... even smk is capable of sarcasm.  He looked through his three-pointed gunsight and shot a bullseye!
    • You guys posting all this food is making me hungry... 🙂  All my cars get a wash and wax this weekend......

1. CursingOldGuy