Anthony Fongaro

EV-curious: An Opinion on the Market

Curiosity about electric vehicles is sparking my interest, but am I ready for one?

EV-curious. That’s what I would call myself. Someone that is interested in EVs but just hasn’t found the right one. There are many aspects of an EV that is appealing to me. Instant torque, quick acceleration, the ability to charge at your house or apartment, and the continuation of creating semi-autonomous driving. It’s all so exciting! I’m ready to go out and trade in my 2016 Volkswagen GTI for one now! Or am I? Let’s take a quick look at a small field of electric vehicles, starting with the brand new 2020 Porsche Taycan.

The release of the 2020 Porsche Taycan is a feat in and of itself. The car itself is downright sexy, is has a handsome interior, and performance that is pure Porsche. Over 700 HP for the Turbo S model is impressive. It also costs what you would expect an electric super-Porsche would be since the range topping Taycans are coming out first. These are the Turbo and Turbo S which cost over $150,000. After these come onto the market, less expensive and less powerful versions will come. Would this be the car that I will buy? Sure, once I get that CMO position at a major company. This is a dream electric car, but not one that I would consider just yet.

What about an attainable electric car? There are a few on the market that cover the bases. Vehicles like the Hyundai Kona Electric, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, and others have good to respectable range, decent features, and are not the most expensive vehicles. Average prices of $40,000-$45,000 is a bit steep, but electric cars usually command a premium over gasoline vehicles. They also have good driving aids such as blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control, something that my current car has and is top priority for me. They’re all very good cars but with flaws such as build quality and designs that keep me from considering one. My problem is simple: performance. Electric cars have instant torque at 0 RPM and can be extremely fast. These EVs just don’t cut the mustard for me since they are more about range than blistering speed. For around $45,000, I can get a gas-powered car such as a Genesis G70 3.3T that is faster, has better range, and the safety features I want. Let’s continue from good electric vehicles to “the best”.

Right now, you are probably thinking: “Anthony, you are forgetting the king of electric vehicles. They are synonymous with electric cars and have a huge cult following.” Guess who that is? Yes, that is of course Tesla. You can’t write about electric cars without talking about Tesla. They are a very S 3 X Y R brand indeed. The Model S introduced expensive but seriously quick electric vehicles. The X brought us an odd but much-needed crossover. The 3 is the bread-and-butter maker with a starting price around $40,000, and acceleration that beats almost all vehicles in its class. The Y hasn’t come out yet but is a crossover version of the 3, and the Roadster is a $250,000 supercar. Even though there are three models currently available, I will focus on the Model 3 Performance since that is the one I am most interested in.

There is a lot to like about the Model 3 Performance. It has “performance” in its name and with 450 HP, it is one of the quickest sedans I’ve ever driven. The instant torque from the motors is intoxicating and it handles well for a heavy vehicle. Does it tick all the boxes to convert to a Tesla-fanatic? No. Why? The interior. I am not a fan of controlling absolutely everything with a touchscreen and not having my speedometer in front of me.

The Model 3 Performance can have semi-autonomous driving, but it is a $7,000 option. Tesla’s Autopilot driver-assist system is standard and is regarded to be one of the best, if not the best driver-assist system. Tesla has sold over 250,000 Model 3 vehicles and it is a genuinely amazing feat for a young company. The range is good at over 310 miles. Pricing starts at $55,000 and is fully-loaded around $64,000. If you are okay with the minimal interior and styling, get yourself a Model 3. I personally am not a fan of either of those, so onward we go.

This brings me to a car I am waiting for: The Polestar 2 fastback. Polestar used to be a sub-division of Volvo, like AMG is to Mercedes-Benz. You can still get Polestar-tune Volvos, but Polestar has branched out into their own brand. The Polestar 2 is their first all-electric car. It has over 250 miles of range, 400 HP, and most import to me, gauges that are straight in front of the driver. The design is bold yet looks like an even more modern version of a Volvo. Since Polestar is a sporty company, the performance upgrades include upgraded shocks, brakes, and bigger wheels with Swedish gold seat belts. You get this package mainly for the gold seat belts. Is it pricey at over $60,000? Yes, but it feels justified for the 408 hp and range of 275 miles. 0-60 is said to be around 4.7 seconds but I suspect it will be lower. Will they sell Tesla Model 3 numbers of them? I highly doubt it since they area new brand, but it should be a great competitor to the Tesla Model 3.

I like the concept of electric vehicles. I know that one day, there will be one charging at my house. Am I ready for an electric car? Yes. Is there any on the market that jumps out at me and gives me the satisfaction I have for my current car at a reasonable price of around $40,000 new? No.

Do not get me wrong; there are electric cars that make sense for a multitude of situations. Range and charging are getting better, more features are getting added, and manufacturers are creating electric-only ranges of vehicles that will bring down the costs of more performance-oriented vehicles. I can go in-depth about certain electric cars in a future article. For now, I think I will keep my car and wait until something really catches my eye. That, or wait a few years and hope the Porsche Taycan depreciates enough that I can buy one.

Edited by Anthony Fongaro

Good write up.

We already know that Audi and Mercedes will have electric sedans out in the next year or so, but these are going to be Model S, Taycan type competitors and probably cost $100k.  BMW is pretty deep in development on the i4.   I think we are 3-5 years out form there being more EV's in the $35-50k range that are desirable cars and not a compliance car like a Kona EV basically is.

Good write up.

I think you're basically right.  We're one more cycle away from having a really good selection of EVs.  2022 is when GM is going to BEV all the things. VW is starting next year.  Ford should be out with some BEV SUVs and Trucks soon. The list goes on.

@Anthony Fongaro Did you actually take a Chevrolet BOLT for a test drive and if so, did you put it in Performance mode? Would like to know what you thought.

My wife and I both test drove one and if it was not for the Black and White dash, she would have said yes to buying one for her to drive and do her job. The performance mode is addictive as it really moves the BOLT along fast, faster than most people realize. You still end up with 200+ miles of range in Performance mode. Also, I am finding plenty of them on the market for around $24-25K with low miles being in the upper teens to low 30 K for miles. Most are the fully loaded Premier version too.

Over all I would say your spot on in regards to your feelings about it and why more people have not gone the EV route yet, they are still waiting for an EV that is more inline with traditional ICE auto's.

That's a supposition AND it's subjective.
    Frankly, I for one don't particularly find the Model 3 'sexy'- it's bland, the rear end is overly stubby (MANY sedans are this way), and the 'despair gray' wheels still look like 'in-transit' protective plastic covers. But other 'sexy / good looking' cars frequently feature a lot more design time and elements; 2 things that cost more.

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

That's a supposition AND it's subjective.

Well yes, but you don't think any modern car is sexy, so you don't count. 😛

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Not true! There’s a bunch... a few modern vehicles I think are pretty good designs. But you've got to admit the Model 3’s wheels are about the worst.

The wheels you're talking about are the special "efficiency wheel" design. It's supposedly for those people who want to eeek every last mile out of their range.

It seems mainstream automakers in their effort to get their first volume EVs out (thinking of the Bolt and Leaf in particular) went down the path of being weird or radically different looking from everything else to get attention, rather than making something normal looking or a variation of an existing model.     Toyota similarly did this with the Prius and Mirai, Honda w/ the first couple Insights and the Clarity.

Are we now at a point where a dedicated EV can look like a normal model and be accepted?  M-B is going this way, will be interesting to see a mainstream brand do it...

Edited by Robert Hall

🤮 Why "despair gray' tho?? Why not machined alloy or body color or anything else (or... speed discs).

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Think about it from a marketing perspective. Honda has a cheap-o $18K Fit, they recon-twiddle the dirty bits & make it an EV, and suddenly the "same car" is $40,000. Sales would be even worse than they are. No; you have to be offered 'something different/special' for the exorbitant price increase. Unfortunately, it's still not yet time for an 'EV version of a mainstream/existing model'... what is should be is a much more attractive/aspirational model. Porsche may be the first brand to figure that out.

One thing that confuses me about the Bolt.  It would have cost precisely $0 more to make it look sexy. It could have been a sedan like the Model 3, for slightly lower price, and actually looked good. Or it could have been a proper sized crossover... either way, it would not have cost more for them to build it that way.

But that's GM for you.  It should have been a sedan or crossover, but GM had to make a dumb decision somewhere, maybe they thought Prius-like hatchbacks were the way to go, but the Nissan Leaf doesn't sell well either, the Model 3 rakes in sales.

Although I don't think GM really has many well styled cars right now, even if it was an SUV they probably would have screwed up the styling.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, balthazar said:

... pricing.

Quoted for truth....

On 9/7/2019 at 8:26 PM, smk4565 said:

The Buicks, Corvette, Camaro, Cadillac all nice....but SUV's From Chevrolet are unattractive IMHO and the latest iteration of trucks was literally conceived in a Meth on the west side of Detroit.

On 9/7/2019 at 10:12 PM, balthazar said:

Nissan Leaf is the global EV sales leader.

Mindless transportation pod extraordinaire....

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ of course; its a nissan after all. Just pointing that out; Tesla is not #1.

Still lovin the Silverado over here. Sierra a bit better, bit I’d be stylistically happy with either.

It's a one month blip. But in the UK, the Model 3 outsold the Focus which is one of the top 10 popular cars there.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, balthazar said:

But you've got to admit the Model 3’s wheels are about the worst.

That's one of their two available wheel designs.. The second design is available in two sizes, 19" and 20".

Personally, for me Model 3 front looks really awkward and in general I don't think 3 looks good

2018-tesla-model-3-performance-with-perf

On the other hand I think Model S still looks great

574819f0-8248-11e9-bddf-b0d9786935b6

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

My coworker just got new Silverado, personally I think front looks horrible.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:08 PM, dfelt said:

I did and it wasn't bad, but my problem with it is the entire package. I do love off-the-line acceleration of EVs but it didn't make me smile. Granted, I'm not saying it's a bad car, just that it isn't something I would buy/lease.

Hyundai is planning on 23 electric vehicles for the global market between now and 2025. A key part of that is the Ioniq sub-brand which the brand previewed last year. The first model of this new brand was introduced this morning in South Korea.
      The Ioniq 5 is a compact 'crossover' that looks nearly identical to the 45 concept shown two years ago. Details such as edgy hatchback shape with creases along the doors, square headlights, flush door handles, and a set of 20-inch aero wheels are sure to draw a lot comment. Dimension-wise, the Ioniq 5 occupies an interesting space.
      Length: 182.5 inches (about two inches longer than the Elantra) Width: 74.4 inches (over an inch wider than the Tucson) Height: 63.2 inches (almost two inches taller than a Kona) Wheelbase: 188.1 inches (just under four inches longer than the Palisade) Inside, the Ioniq 5 takes a minimalist approach with not much bright work and long panel running from the driver towards the middle of the dash that houses two 12-inch screens (acting as instrument cluster and infotainment). The front seats fully recline and feature a leg rest to relax while the 5 charges up. There is also a moveable center console to allow for more space under the dash.
      Under the Ioniq 5's body is the first implementation of Hyundai's Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP). This platform can house either a 58-kWh or 77.4-kWh battery pack. The latter is exclusive for North America as other Global markets make do a 72.6-kWh pack. Two motor configurations are available.; a single one mounted on the rear axle providing 18 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, or a dual-motor setup to produce 302 horsepower and 446 pound-feet of torque.
      With the smaller battery and single motor, Hyundai claims a 7.1 second run to 60 mph. Opt for the dual motor layout and larger battery and 0-60 mph time drops to 5.2 seconds.
      Hyundai is only giving the range for the single motor and large battery setup at the moment which stands at 298 miles. Do note that is for the WLTP test cycle. We expect the EPA rating to be lower, between 200 to 250 being our guess on this version.
      Hyundai is planning on launching the Ioniq 5 in select markets later this year, with North America following sometime after - likely 2022.
      Source: Hyundai
      Hyundai IONIQ 5 Redefines Electric Mobility Lifestyle
      IONIQ 5 all-electric, midsize CUV debuted today in a virtual world premiere event Design explores new experiences only possible with dedicated BEV platform …Evokes the daring attitude of Hyundai Pony, the company’s first production car, highlighting 45-year journey of Hyundai design and looking ahead to the future …Exterior achieves unique proportions on a 3,000-mm wheelbase emphasizing EV specific typology .…Interior raises bar of comfort and usability with flat floor and Universal Island Reflects commitment to sustainability by utilizing eco-friendly materials and nature-inspired colors in many touchpoints Delivers powerful performance and ultra-fast 400 V and 800 V multi-charging Provides Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) function, which can turn the vehicle into a charger on wheels SEOUL, February 22, 2021 — Hyundai Motor Company today launched the IONIQ 5 midsize CUV during a virtual world premiere event. As the first model in Hyundai’s new IONIQ brand dedicated to battery electric vehicles (BEV), IONIQ 5 sets the benchmark to redefine the electric mobility lifestyle with sustainable and innovative features.
      IONIQ 5 is built upon Hyundai Motor Group’s dedicated BEV architecture called Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), enabling it to have unique proportions on an elongated wheelbase. With E-GMP, IONIQ 5 offers innovative interior design with eco-friendly materials in many touchpoints, strong performance mated with ultra-fast charging and a Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) function as well as advanced connectivity and driver assistance features that will offer the ultimate in-car experience while ensuring safety.
      “IONIQ 5 will accommodate lifestyles without limits, proactively caring for customers’ needs throughout their journey,” said Thomas Schemera, Executive Vice President and Global Chief Marketing Officer. “It is truly the first electric vehicle to provide a new experience with its innovative use of interior space and advanced technologies.”
      Heralding a new era for EV design
      IONIQ 5’s progressive design represents a departure from past norms, exploring a new design freedom offered by a dedicated BEV platform. By evoking the daring attitude of Hyundai Pony, the company’s first production car, IONIQ 5 highlights Hyundai’s 45-year journey to become a part of customer’s lifestyles, creating a common thread from past to present and future. This is the redefinition of timeless design, a theme that will expand as the IONIQ lineup grows.
      IONIQ 5’s unique exterior design is characterized by the Pony-inspired profile over a 3,000-mm wheelbase. This extended wheelbase requires a more sophisticated approach to translate this new proportion into a contemporary EV typology.
      The front of the car is equipped with Hyundai’s first clamshell hood that minimizes panel gaps for optimal aerodynamics. The front bumper is defined by an eye-catching V-shape incorporating distinctive daytime running lights (DRLs) that provide an unmistakable light signature unique to IONIQ 5. These small pixel-like clusters also appear at the rear of the vehicle.
      On the sides, auto flush door handles provide clean surface styling and enhanced aerodynamic efficiency. The front and rear forms of the vehicle merge together at its doors, offering another example of Hyundai’s ‘Parametric Dynamics’ design first seen on the all-new Tucson. The strong C-pillar shape, inspired by Hyundai’s ‘45’ EV concept, gives IONIQ 5 a commanding presence clearly identifiable from a distance.
      Aero-optimized wheels further echo the Parametric Pixel design theme and are offered in a super-sized 20-inch diameter, the largest rims ever fitted to a Hyundai EV. These complete IONIQ 5’s perfected proportions, optimized for Hyundai’s E-GMP.
      “A new mobility experience for the next generation—this was the mission from the first day we began this project, to look ahead towards the horizon, but stay fundamentally Hyundai,” said SangYup Lee, Senior Vice President and Head of Hyundai Global Design Center. “IONIQ 5 is the new definition of timeless, providing a common thread linking our past to the present and future.”
      The ‘Living Space’ theme runs throughout the interior, most notably embodied by the Universal Island, a moveable center console that can slide back as much as 140 mm. Universal Island, along with the flat floor where the batteries are stored, allows more freedom of movement inside the vehicle.
      IONIQ 5 is also equipped with electronically adjustable front seats. The seats recline to the optimum angle, offering a weightless feeling for the occupant. Hyundai reduced the thickness of the front seats by 30 percent, providing more space for those seated in the second row.
      Many of its interior touchpoints — seats, headliner, door trim, floor and armrest — use eco-friendly, sustainably sourced materials, such as recycled PET bottles, plant-based (bio PET) yarns and natural wool yarns, eco-processed leather with plant-based extracts, and bio paint with plant extracts.
      Customers can choose from nine exterior colors[1], including five nature-inspired hues exclusive to IONIQ 5. The interior has three color options[2].
      A range of power electric systems to suit every customer
      IONIQ 5 is available with a range of power electric (PE) configurations to fit the mobility needs of every customer, with no compromises on performance. Customers can select from two battery pack options, either 58 kWh or 72.6 kWh[3], and two electric motor layouts, either with a rear motor only or with both front and rear motors. All PE variations provide outstanding range and deliver a top speed of 185 km/h.
      At the top of the electric motor lineup is an all-wheel drive (AWD) option paired with the 72.6-kWh battery, producing a combined power output of 225-kWh and 605 Nm of torque. This PE configuration can go from 0 km/h to 100 km/h in 5.2 seconds.
      When equipped with two-wheel drive (2WD) and 72.6-kWh battery, IONIQ 5’s maximum driving range on a single charge will be around 470~480 km[4], according to the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) standard.
      Ultra-fast battery charging along with innovative Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) function
      IONIQ 5’s E-GMP can support both 400-V and 800-V charging infrastructures. The platform offers 800-V charging capability as standard, along with 400-V charging, without the need for additional components or adapters. The multi-charging system is a world’s first patented technology that operates the motor and inverter to boost 400 V to 800 V for stable charging compatibility.
      With a 350-kW charger, IONIQ 5 can charge from 10 percent to 80 percent in just 18 minutes. IONIQ 5 users only need to charge the vehicle for five minutes to get 100 km of range, according to WLTP.
      IONIQ 5 also provides an innovative V2L function, which allows customers to freely use or charge any electric devices, such as electric bicycles, scooters or camping equipment, serving as a charger on wheels.
      The V2L function can supply up to 3.6 kW of power. The V2L port is located under the second-row seats, and it can be activated when a vehicle is on. Another V2L port is located at the charging port on the vehicle exterior. Using a converter, customers can charge high-power electric equipment. The outside port provides power even when the vehicle is turned off.
      Innovative connectivity and driver assistance for safety and convenience[5]
      IONIQ 5 seamlessly integrates advanced technologies for an enhanced digital user experience. The wide, configurable, dual cockpit features a 12-inch, full-touch infotainment screen and hoodless 12- inch digital gauge cluster that can be customized to meet customers’ needs.
      For the first time in Hyundai, IONIQ 5 features an Augmented Reality Head-Up Display (AR HUD), essentially turning the windshield into a display screen.
      IONIQ 5 is also equipped with the next level of Hyundai SmartSense, advanced driver assistance system, ensuring the highest levels of safety and convenience on the road. IONIQ 5 is the first Hyundai model to offer Highway Driving Assist 2 (HDA 2). Other driving assistance systems include Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA), Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA), Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA), Driver Attention Warning (DAW), High Beam Assist (HBA), and more.
      IONIQ 5 will be available in selected regions starting in the first half of 2021.
      Dimensions
      Wheelbase
      3,000 mm
      Length
      4,635 mm
      Width
      1,890 mm
      Height
      1,605 mm
      Cargo
      Boot/trunk space
      531 L / 1591 L (when second-row seats are fully folded)
      Front trunk
      North American (NA) model: 24 L (both AWD and 2WD)
      Non-NA model: 57 L (2WD) or 24 L (AWD)
      Performance
      Platform
      Electric-Global Modular Platform
      Maximum Driving Range
      (according to WLTP)
      470~480 km
      (When pairing 2WD with 72.6-kWh battery option)

Long Range
      72.6-kWh Battery
      (77.4-kWh for NA)
      AWD
      Power
      225-kW (Front and Rear combined)
      Torque
      605-Nm (Front and Rear combined)
      0-100 km/h
      5.2 seconds
      2WD
      Power
      160-kW Rear
      Torque
      350-Nm Rear
      0-100 km/h
      7.4 seconds

Standard Range
      58-kWh Battery
      AWD
      Power
      173 kW (Front and Rear combined)
      Torque
      605 Nm (Front and Rear combined)
      0-100 km/h
      6.1 seconds
      2WD
      Power
      125 kW
      Torque
      350 Nm
      0-100 km/h
      8.5 seconds
      Features (Please see additional details section below table for more information)
      Supported Charging Infrastructure
      400 V and 800 V (No need for additional adapters)
      Ultra-fast Charging
      Remote Start Enhancements
      Vehicle Status Notifications
      POI Send to Car Now with Waypoints
      Maintenance Alert Enhancement
      Dynamic Voice Recognition
      Safety and Convenience Features
      Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
      Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA)
      Safe Exit Assist (SEA)
      Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA)
      Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
      High Beam Assist (HBA)
      Surround View Monitor (SVM)
      Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)
      Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist (PCA)
      Highway Driving Assist 2 (HDA 2)
      Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA)
      Available Colors
      Exterior: Gravity Gold Matte, Shooting-Star Gray Matte, Digital Teal-Green Pearl, Lucid Blue Pearl, Atlas White, Cyber Gray Metallic, Phantom Black Pearl, Galactic Gray Metallic (not available in NA region), Mystic Olive-Green Pearl (not available in NA region)
      Interior: Obsidian Black and Dark Pebble Gray/Dove Gray, Dark Teal/Dove Gray, and Terra Brown/Mud Gray (only available in Korea)
      Source: Hyundai
      Width
      1,890 mm
      Height
      1,605 mm
      Cargo
      Boot/trunk space
      531 L / 1591 L (when second-row seats are fully folded)
      Front trunk
      North American (NA) model: 24 L (both AWD and 2WD)
      Non-NA model: 57 L (2WD) or 24 L (AWD)
      Performance
      Platform
      Electric-Global Modular Platform
      Maximum Driving Range
      (according to WLTP)
      470~480 km
      (When pairing 2WD with 72.6-kWh battery option)

Long Range
      72.6-kWh Battery
      (77.4-kWh for NA)
      AWD
      Power
      225-kW (Front and Rear combined)
      Torque
      605-Nm (Front and Rear combined)
      0-100 km/h
      5.2 seconds
      2WD
      Power
      160-kW Rear
      Torque
      350-Nm Rear
      0-100 km/h
      7.4 seconds

Standard Range
      58-kWh Battery
      AWD
      Power
      173 kW (Front and Rear combined)
      Torque
      605 Nm (Front and Rear combined)
      0-100 km/h
      6.1 seconds
      2WD
      Power
      125 kW
      Torque
      350 Nm
      0-100 km/h
      8.5 seconds
      Supported Charging Infrastructure
      400 V and 800 V (No need for additional adapters)
      Ultra-fast Charging
      Remote Start Enhancements
      Vehicle Status Notifications
      POI Send to Car Now with Waypoints
      Maintenance Alert Enhancement
      Dynamic Voice Recognition
      Safety and Convenience Features
      Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
      Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA)
      Safe Exit Assist (SEA)
      Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA)
      Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
      High Beam Assist (HBA)
      Surround View Monitor (SVM)
      Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)
      Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist (PCA)
      Highway Driving Assist 2 (HDA 2)
      Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA)
      Available Colors

Jaguar Land Rover hasn't been doing very well for the past few years. Numerous issues such as poor sales in China, demand for diesel powered vehicles dropping, and the pandemic have put the automaker in a difficult place. This morning in the United Kingdom, Jaguar Land Rover CEO Thierry Bolloré announced plans to make Jaguar an electric only brand by 2025; Land Rover to launch six electric models; and to become a net-zero-carbon business by 2039.
      "We are harnessing those ingredients today to reimagine the business, the two brands and the customer experience of tomorrow. The Reimagine strategy allows us to enhance and celebrate that uniqueness like never before. Together, we can design an even more sustainable and positive impact on the world around us," Bolloré said in a statement.
      Jaguar

Out of the two brands, Jaguar is hurting the most. Sales have dropped like a rock due to people stepping away from sedans and diesel powertrains. Bolloré's plan has the brand moving to an all-electric lineup by 2025. Not many details were released or talked about during the press conference this morning. What we do know is,
      Future models will utilize a new modular electric platform, known as the Electric Modular Architecture (EMA). The planned XJ replacement, rumored to go electric has been canceled. Likely reason for the cancelation is the platform that was going to be used for this model likely didn't scale to other models. Jaguar did say the XJ name could appear again on a future model. Automotive News (Subscription Required) reports that Jaguar will also move away from SUV-styled vehicles, likely meaning the end of the E and F-Pace. Land Rover

Land Rover isn't going to dive in quickly as Jaguar into EVs. The plan is to continue offering a mix of powertrains, but with a heavy focus on electrification. Six all-electric models are planned to be launched by 2030, with the first model coming out in 2024. No word on what that model would be, but our guess is possibly a Range Rover EV. Land Rover will use Electric Modular Architecture for EVs, alongside the Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA) for hybrids. The goal is to have 60 percent of Land Rover sales be for electrics by 2030.
      Other Details
      Jaguar Land Rover said that it would keep all three of its U.K. plans open, but the Castle Bromwich plant(home to Jaguar XE, XF, and F-Type production) has a unclear future.
      “First we will continue production of our existing nameplates built there to the end of their lifecycle. Then we will explore opportunities to refurbish the plant, which could benefit from the consolidation of businesses scattered across the Midlands,” said Bolloré.
      Jaguar Land Rover is also planning on moving their executive team and other major management positions to a centralized location in Gaydon, and work more closely with their parent company, Tata Group.
      Source: Jaguar Land Rover
      Jaguar Land Rover reimagines the future of modern luxury by design
      New global strategy – Reimagine – announced for the British company under the leadership of Chief Executive Officer, Thierry Bolloré A sustainability-rich reimagination of modern luxury, unique customer experiences, and positive societal impact Start of journey to become a net zero carbon business by 2039 Reimagination of Jaguar as an all-electric luxury brand from 2025 to ‘realise its unique potential’ In the next five years, Land Rover will welcome six pure electric variants as it continues to be the world leader of luxury SUVs All Jaguar and Land Rover nameplates to be available in pure electric form by end of the decade; first all-electric Land Rover model in 2024 Clean-hydrogen fuel-cell power being developed in preparation for future demand Streamlined structure to deliver greater agility and promote an efficiency of focus Global manufacturing and assembly footprint to be retained, rightsized, repurposed and reorganised Collaborations and knowledge-sharing with industry leaders, in particular from within the wider Tata Group will allow the company to explore potential synergies on clean energy, connected services, data and software development leadership On a path towards double-digit EBIT margin and positive cash flow, with an ambition to achieve positive cash net-of-debt by 2025 with a value creation approach delivering quality and profit-over-volume Gaydon, UK - Monday 15th February 2021:
      A vision of modern luxury by design
      Jaguar Land Rover will reimagine the future of modern luxury by design through its two distinct, British brands.
      Set against a canvas of true sustainability, Jaguar Land Rover will become a more agile creator of the world’s most desirable luxury vehicles and services for the most discerning of customers. A strategy that is designed to create a new benchmark in environmental, societal and community impact for a luxury business.
      “Jaguar Land Rover is unique in the global automotive industry. Designers of peerless models, an unrivalled understanding of the future luxury needs of its customers, emotionally rich brand equity, a spirit of Britishness and unrivalled access to leading global players in technology and sustainability within the wider Tata Group.
      “We are harnessing those ingredients today to reimagine the business, the two brands and the customer experience of tomorrow. The Reimagine strategy allows us to enhance and celebrate that uniqueness like never before. Together, we can design an even more sustainable and positive impact on the world around us,” said Mr Bolloré.
      Two distinct modern luxury brands with sustainability at the centre
      At the heart of its Reimagine plan will be the electrification of both Land Rover and Jaguar brands on separate architectures with two clear, unique personalities.
      In a Land Rover, vehicle and driver are united by adventure. By breaking new ground, confronting new challenges and not being content with the expected, Land Rover truly helps people to go ‘Above and Beyond’. In the next five years, Land Rover will welcome six pure electric variants as it continues to be the world leader of luxury SUVs through its three families of Range Rover, Discovery and Defender. The first all-electric variant will arrive in 2024.
      By the middle of the decade, Jaguar will have undergone a renaissance to emerge as a pure electric luxury brand with a dramatically beautiful new portfolio of emotionally engaging designs and pioneering next-generation technologies. Jaguar will exist to make life extraordinary by creating dramatically beautiful automotive experiences that leave its customers feeling unique and rewarded. Although the nameplate may be retained, the planned Jaguar XJ replacement will not form part of the line-up, as the brand looks to realise its unique potential.
      Jaguar and Land Rover will offer pure electric power, nameplate by nameplate, by 2030. By this time, in addition to 100% of Jaguar sales, it is anticipated that around 60% of Land Rovers sold will be equipped with zero tailpipe powertrains.
      Jaguar Land Rover’s aim is to achieve net zero carbon emissions across its supply chain, products and operations by 2039. As part of this ambition, the company is also preparing for the expected adoption of clean fuel-cell power in line with a maturing of the hydrogen economy. Development is already underway with prototypes arriving on UK roads within the next 12 months as part of the long-term investment programme.
      Sustainability that delivers a new benchmark in environmental and societal impact for the luxury sector is fundamental to the success of Reimagine. A new centralised team will be empowered to build on and accelerate pioneering innovations in materiality, engineering, manufacturing, services and circular economy investments.
      Annual commitments of circa £2.5bn will include investments in electrification technologies and the development of connected services to enhance the journey and experiences of customers, alongside data-centric technologies that will further improve their ownership ecosystem.
      Proven services like the flexible PIVOTAL subscription model (which has grown 750% during the fiscal year), born out of Jaguar Land Rover’s incubator and investor arm, InMotion, will now be rolled out to other markets following a successful launch in the UK.
      Quality and efficiency
      Reimagine will see Jaguar Land Rover establish new benchmark standards in quality and efficiency for the luxury sector by rightsizing, repurposing and reorganising.
      Central to that journey, and in order to establish different personalities for the two brands, is the new architecture strategy.
      Land Rover will use the forthcoming flex Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA). It will deliver electrified internal combustion engines (ICE) and full electric variants as the company evolves its product line-up in the future. In addition, Land Rover will also use pure electric biased Electric Modular Architecture (EMA) which will also support advanced electrified ICE.
      Future Jaguar models will be built exclusively on a pure electric architecture.
      Reimagine is designed to deliver simplification too. By consolidating the number of platforms and models being produced per plant, the company will be able to establish new benchmark standards in efficient scale and quality for the luxury sector. Such an approach will help rationalise sourcing and accelerate investments in local circular economy supply chains.
      From a core manufacturing perspective that means Jaguar Land Rover will retain its plant and assembly facilities in the home UK market and around the world. As well as being the manufacturer of the MLA architecture, Solihull, West Midlands will also be the home to the future advanced Jaguar pure electric platform.
      Key partners including Trade Unions, retailers and those in the supply chain will continue to play a vital part of the extended new Jaguar Land Rover ecosystem and its journey towards reimagining the future of modern luxury.
      ReFocus to a more agile operation
      As evidenced with the latest financial results, Jaguar Land Rover has a strong foundation on which to build a sustainable and resilient business for its customers and their communities, partners, employees, shareholders and the environment.
      Driving this transformation is the recently launched Refocus programme, by consolidating existing initiatives like Charge+ with new cross-functional activities.
      Reimagine will see Jaguar Land Rover right-size, repurpose and reorganise into a more agile operation. The creation of a flatter structure is designed to empower employees to create and deliver at speed and with clear purpose.
      To accelerate this efficiency of focus, the company will substantially reduce and rationalise its non-manufacturing infrastructure in the UK. Gaydon will become the symbol of this effort – the ‘reactor’ of the business - with the Executive Team and other management functions moving into the one location to aid frictionless cooperation and agile decision-making.
      Leapfrog to leadership with Tata Group
      In order to realise its vision of modern luxury mobility with confidence, the company will curate closer collaboration and knowledge-sharing with Tata Group companies to enhance sustainability and reduce emissions as well as sharing best practice in next-generation technology, data and software development leadership. Jaguar Land Rover has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Motors, in which Tata Sons is the largest shareholder, since 2008.
      “We have so many ingredients from within. It is a unique opportunity,” said Mr Bolloré. “Others have to rely solely on external partnerships and compromise, but we have frictionless access that will allow us to lean forward with confidence and at speed.”
      Bringing all these ingredients together, Jaguar Land Rover is on a path towards double-digit EBIT margins and positive cash flow, with an ambition to achieve positive cash net-of-debt by 2025.
      Ultimately, Jaguar Land Rover aims to be one of the most profitable luxury manufacturers in the world.
      Mr N Chandrasekaran, Chairman of Tata Sons, Tata Motors and Jaguar Land Rover Automotive plc commented: “The Reimagine strategy takes Jaguar Land Rover on a significant path of acceleration in harmony with the vision and sustainability priorities of the wider Tata Group. Together, we will help Jaguar realise its potential, reinforce Land Rover’s timeless appeal and collectively become a symbol of a truly responsible business for its customers, society and the planet.”
      Mr Bolloré concluded: “As a human-centred company, we can, and will, move much faster and with clear purpose of not just reimagining modern luxury but defining it for two distinct brands. Brands that present emotionally unique designs, pieces of art if you like, but all with connected technologies and responsible materials that collectively set new standards in ownership. We are reimagining a new modern luxury by design.”

Jaguar

Other Details
      Source: Jaguar Land Rover
      Jaguar Land Rover reimagines the future of modern luxury by design
      A vision of modern luxury by design
      Two distinct modern luxury brands with sustainability at the centre
      Quality and efficiency
      Future Jaguar models will be built exclusively on a pure electric architecture.
      ReFocus to a more agile operation
      Leapfrog to leadership with Tata Group
      Back in the spring, I spent some time with two different Volvo 60 series models - the S60 Momentum and V60 Cross Country. I came away impressed with the work Volvo had done, picking Cross Country as my favorite. A couple months back, another 60 series model rolled up for a week long evaluation. This one is very different.
      Unlike most performance wagons that grab a bullhorn and shout for attention, the V60 Polestar goes for a more sedate approach. From afar, it looks like your standard V60. Get closer and you begin to see the small changes such as the lowered ride height, 20-inch grey wheels that cover up the massive gold brake calipers, and the two Polestar badges. Only changes for the interior are the Polestar logo embossed on the front headrests and gold seatbelts. Under the hood is Volvo's T8 powertrain. This is the 2.0L twin-charged four-cylinder paired with an electric motor on the rear axle to produce a total output of 415 horsepower and 494 pound-feet of torque. This setup also provides all-wheel drive. It is quite shocking (pardon the pun) as to how fast the V60 Polestar goes. Step on the accelerator and it feels like you have engaged warp drive as the two powertrains work together.  But there were times where the gas engine and electric motor didn't seem to be on the same page. There would be the odd delay or surging of the gas engine when driving around town in the hybrid mode. Hopefully, this is something that could be addressed with an update to the engine software. The other party trick of the V60 Polestar is the ability to run on electric power alone. This comes from an 11.6 kWh lithium-ion battery pack underneath the cargo floor. Volvo claims a range of 22 miles on electric power alone, but I was able to stretch it out to around 23 to 25 miles throughout the week. Recharging took around eight to eleven hours if the battery was near or fully depleted.  For the week, I saw an MPGe average of 52.1. With the battery drained, I saw the average fall to around 29.1 MPG.  Volvo turned to suspension supplier Öhlins to develop something bespoke for the V60 Polestar. What was delivered is a special set of dampers that are manually adjusted by gold-colored aluminum knobs. You'll easily find the ones in the front by opening the hood - sitting on top of the shock towers. The ones in the back are slightly harder to find as they're located above the wheels in the wheel housing. This is something that feels like more of a talking point when showing off the wagon, not something you want to mess with unless you are knowledgeable on damper tuning. The V60 Polestar may be the best handling Volvo I have driven in quite some time. The Öhlins dampers do make a difference as they minimize body roll. But the dampers cannot fully hide the massive weight of the Polestar - tipping the scales at 4,522 pounds. This makes the wagon not feel as nimble. In terms of ride quality, the V60 Polestar does well on smooth roads. Take it on a road with a litany of bumps and potholes and the ride becomes very choppy. This is where I wished Volvo had gone for a computer-controlled damper system to make the ride slightly smoother. A price tag of over $68,000 is a bit much for a Volvo, but you need to take into consideration that you're getting everything as standard. That includes the premium B&O audio system, full LED headlights, Nappa leather upholstery, heated/ventilated front seats, Pilot Assist, and more. The only option on our tester is the metallic paint. Despite the price tag and rough ride, I'm happy to see Volvo venturing out and doing some wild as the V60 Polestar. This vehicle is a prime example of having your cake and eating it by delivering excellent performance and efficiency in one package. The fact that this package is in a wagon shows this for someone who doesn't want to follow the Joneses and get a performance crossover. Would this be the 60 Series model I would buy? No, that honor falls to the V60 Cross Country I drove in the early spring. But the Polestar runs a close second. Disclaimer: Volvo Provided the V60 Polestar, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Volvo
      Model: V60
      Trim: T8 Polestar Engineered
      Engine: 2.0L Twincharged DOHC 16-Valve Four-Cylinder, Two AC Electric Motors
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 328 (gas), 46 (electric motor front), 87 (electric motor rear), 415 (combined)
      Torque @ RPM: 317 (gas), 111 (electric motor front), 177 (electric motor rear), 494 (combined)
      Fuel Economy: Combined MPGe/Gas - 69/30
      Curb Weight: 4,522 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Gothenburg, Sweden
      Base Price: $67,300
      As Tested Price: $68,940 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options: