X3 Gets Sexy? Well, Maybe a Little.

Bimmer325

Posted ImageX3 Gets Sexy? Well, Maybe a Little.

--------------------

There's no denying Bavaria's oddball cute-ute has finally shed some of it's awkwardness. Has this latest facelift gone far enough? Judge for yourself. *Official BMW press release in following post.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

19 High-Resolution Images

Posted ImageFresh wind for the high flier: The new BMW X3.

Whether on country lanes, in city traffic or on gravel tracks - wherever it goes, the new BMW X3 is driving along the road to success. With powerful new engines, a fresh design and high-quality interior features, the Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) from BMW - especially well known for its marked agility and driving dynamics - is continuing its trail of success. The new BMW X3 has all the features to further improve its exceptional position as the only premium offer in the segment. Selective modifications in the front, rear and side areas give the vehicle a dynamic character; exceptionally high quality materials, flowing lines and stylish colour schemes dominate the interior. And the design of the new BMW X3 corresponds perfectly with the enhanced potency of its drive units. The sportiest diesel worldwide is available as the top-of-the-range engine for the new BMW X3. The newly developed 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder unit of the BMW X3 3.0sd with its Variable Twin Turbo (VTT) technology realises 210 kW/286 HP and reaches a maximum torque of 580 Newton metres. The new generation of in-line six-cylinder petrol engines with 3.0-litre and 2.5-litre capacity is also deployed in the new BMW X3. The VALVETRONIC and Bi-VANOS drive units fitted with a magnesium-aluminium composite crankcase achieve 200 kW/272 HP or 160 kW/218 HP, respectively. The Integrated Chassis Management (ICM) with optimised computer structure ensures an even more effective and rapid interaction of the intelligent xDrive all-wheel drive from BMW with the driving dynamic control DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and the engine control system in all variants of the engine.

The new BMW X3 is the uncompromising further development of a vehicle concept that has caused a sensation on the international automobile markets. As an exceptionally agile sports activity vehicle, it combines dynamic handling characteristics on the road with the advantages in traction guaranteed by the intelligent xDrive all-wheel drive from BMW, even during detours on rugged terrain. The new BMW X3 is still the only premium vehicle of its class - more than ever created for active and demanding car motorists who appreciate superior drive technology, versatility, driving dynamics and highest quality workmanship. The new BMW X3 offers you all the potential to express sporty élan, spontaneity and independence at the highest level.

A design with strong character underlines the dynamics.

Sensitive, yet striking describes the changes to the front and rear areas of the BMW X3. At both the front and the back, the bumper units split into two levels are clearly visible and predominantly painted in the body colour. This also underlines the high quality and sporty but elegant appearance of the new BMW X3. Only the intentionally exposed protective elements are made of robust black plastic.

A striking feature of all BMW X models is the so-called "six-eyed look". New double circular headlights with light sources and reflectors behind clear glass lend its character to the new BMW X3. The fog lights arranged in a line that sweeps diagonally to the outside from the headlights to the wheels adds to this. Its geometry reinforces the impression of a powerful vehicle crouching on the road, in the same way as the painted front apron below the outer bumper. The BMW kidney grille stands out because its increased size and the very distinctive visual effect of grille fins dyed in different colours (according to the model and variant). Kidney grille fins in a Light Titanium colour identify the BMW X3 3.0sd; the grille fins of the other six-cylinder variants are in a Graphite Metallic colour. The four-cylinder variants have black kidney grille fins. The optional headlight cleaning system has been smoothly integrated in the front section and only extends when required.

New rear light assemblies with clear glass covers over horizontal rods of light fed by LEDs ensure a striking night design, but also serve as an eye-catching feature of the new BMW X3 in daylight. Just as characteristic is the dominance of horizontal lines that continue from the tailgate right down to the bumper, thereby underscoring the powerful appearance of the new BMW X3 from this perspective.

From the side view, the striking lower line emphasises the discreet wedgeshape. Its contour is picked up in the lower side area of both the front and the rear aprons, reinforcing the impression of a dynamically extended lateral line.

High-grade materials and cultivated design in the interior.

With a gentle arrangement of shapes and transitions between the individual parts of the interior, the harmonious flow of lines is also continued in the passenger compartment of the new BMW X3. Solid functionality is combined with cultivated design. In every detail, the demand for high quality invested in the selection and workmanship of all materials cannot only be seen, but also felt. The instrument panel is characterised by a new décor strip that matches in colour and material with the decorative surfaces of the centre console.

Galvanised metals on the door handles and regulators of the air temperature control system, exclusive leather and textile variants, a high-quality colour scheme and designs for the roof lining as well as plastic surfaces with a highclass texture very clearly reflect the character of the robust, yet elegant interior. Also the new three-spoke steering wheels and the spacious storage areas integrated in the door trims further the impression of high quality, both optically as well as haptically. This respectability at an especially high level accords with the style of a modern generation of motorists who use their vehicle for a great variety of purposes, but always want to enjoy a cultivated ambience at the same time.

Four variants of equipment, ten exterior colours, six trim colours and five décor surface variants present a multitude of possibilities for the customisation of the new BMW X3. As an alternative to the basic equipment for the new BMW X3, sports or luxury seats are also optionally available. The material selected in the equipment specifications for the seat upholstery is also used in the centre console, the armrests and the door trims. The trim colours Black, Grey or Sand Beige create a more tranquil atmosphere, whereas the Terracotta, Anthracite or Tobacco tones awaken a more strongly accentuated general mood. The choice of decorative surfaces can also express personal style - from a classically elegant wood finish to the markedly sporty note of the aluminium look.

The new BMW X3 3.0sd, above all, provides an exceptionally exclusive driver environment. Foot pedals with stainless steel applications are included in the standard specification. In all six-cylinder variants, the roadspeed display goes up to the value of 260 km/h, and the chronometer scaling in the cockpit of the BMW X3 3.0sd goes up to a value extended by a further 10 km/h. From outside, the BMW X3 3.0sd stands out with its attractive 18-inch wheels, a markedly sporty rear apron and the larger tailpipes of its exhaust system among other features.

1) They should've left the cladding off, or at least option. Still cheap, cheap, cheap. Plus, they make the fender-to-wheel gap look huuuge.

2) Where is the radio display? Tell me its not hidden in that popup unit...

3) What's with the chrome piece on the steering wheel? How about embossing X3 on it or something? Looks dumb and lonely otherwise.

4) What a godawfully drab colored interior. God, I need a Zoloft just looking at it.

5) Good to see the pedals from a 1981 Regal are being put to good use.

6) The donut on the steering wheel for the airbag housing looks weird.

7) How about a split dual exhaust to look kick-ass like the X5?

8) Fix the taillamps. It doesn't matter what you put inside the lenses, they're still discombobulated.

1) They should've left the cladding off, or at least option. Still cheap, cheap, cheap. Plus, they make the fender-to-wheel gap look huuuge.

What cladding do you mean?

2) Where is the radio display? Tell me its not hidden in that popup unit...

Looks like it...

3) What's with the chrome piece on the steering wheel? How about embossing X3 on it or something? Looks dumb and lonely otherwise.

That does look strange...it's new too...My mom has the same steering wheel in her X5 without the little aluminum piece.

4) What a godawfully drab colored interior. God, I need a Zoloft just looking at it.

I think it is just the lighting. Obviously, it should be all black.

5) Good to see the pedals from a 1981 Regal are being put to good use.

I kinda like the pedals...it's nice to see they made them a bit more appealing than the BMW norm. I have no idea what 1981 Regal pedals look like though, so I can't comment.

6) The donut on the steering wheel for the airbag housing looks weird.

Like I said above, same steering wheel in my mom's X5 (sans the trim piece). It is an odd steering wheel, though I don't think the lighting in that pic is helping it either...

7) How about a split dual exhaust to look kick-ass like the X5?

Deffinitely...Dual exhaust would look good, but even so, I can't imagine it would help the  car out that much...

8) Fix the taillamps. It doesn't matter what you put inside the lenses, they're still discombobulated.

True that. They are ugly...infact, the entire car is ugly...just scrap the whole damn thing...

. Edited by Nick

Hmmm... I like the interior better in beige... LOVE the wood.

Interesting thing though, is it me or does it seem like this interior pic shows a clutch?

Posted Image

Yes it does, but it also shows a stick shift  :duh:

Well, it's not like I thought to look at that too :lol:

Just didn't realize there'd be a manual option on this.

First of all, the radio display is in the pop-up screen only when you have ordered Nav.

Without nav, there is no pop-up screen and the radio actually HAS a display in the head-unit.

I think this is a GREAT looking little 'Ute now. I've ALWAYS loved the way the X3 drove....and now it's got the more powerful magnesium engine and you can still get a 6-speed manual if you want it.

I drove a sport-packaged, 6-speed manual 3.0L X3 when they first came out and LOVED it. However, it never really had the interior quality (now supposedly fixed) or the exterior styling to win me over (now I think it's quite handsome.)

All I say to all the nay-sayers on here.....don't knock it until you actually drive it for a bit....

The LR2 will have a tough time against this X3.....especially since the Freelander did so poorly here in the marketplace.

All I say to all the nay-sayers on here.....don't knock it until you actually drive it for a bit....

I can drive it all day and all night, still not going to change it's looks. <unless I run it into a pole a few times.>

e.i. it looks like a 3-series wagon on stilts.... and that the tailgate fails to match the rest of the rear in anyway except color.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

He still looks like a nerd from the front, you know the eyes....? Anywyas, it's a little better, and that interior is everything a Pontiac should be.....but it's still nowhere near as elegant and timeless as the X5.

Cheap, drab, and gray? I thought Pontiac was supposed to stear clear of that...

163512[/snapback]

well............I like it. :AH-HA_wink: I think it's elegant, clean, and rich....plus it's sporty like a Pontiac should be.

well............I like it.  :AH-HA_wink: I think it's elegant, clean, and rich....plus it's sporty like a Pontiac should be.

164003[/snapback]

Clean, yes. Minimalist even. I don't see anything else of redemption in it. The control buttons seem rather unergonomic and the wide, tall plastic surrounds will attract lots of fingerprints and marks over time.

Maybe for $30k, I shouldn't expect too much.