July 18, 2006

Rear-wheel drive on the rise, analyst says

Richmond Hill, Ontario - While front-wheel drive (FWD) still accounts for the majority of vehicles, rear-wheel drive (RWD) is making a comeback in passenger cars, says industry analyst Dennis DesRosiers.

The first generation of mainstream FWD vehicles were embraced by Canadian consumers in the early 1980s, DesRosiers says; in 1982, 46.6 per cent of Canadian passenger cars were FWD, while that number increased to 94.8 per cent by 2001, with RWD remaining almost exclusively in low-volume luxury and sports cars. The last year RWD cars represented the majority of passenger car sales was in 1981.

Light trucks (including SUVs) still account for the majority of the RWD market, taking 54.3 per cent in 2005, but FWD trucks are on an upswing, with an increase from 38.5 per cent of the market in 2000 to 45.7 per cent in 2005.

However, DesRosiers says that a recovery in RWD passenger cars has taken place in the last four years, and the 9.5 per cent sold in 2005 was the highest percentage since 1989. In 2001, 34 RWD cars were available, but in 2005, the number increased to fifty. "This recovery is no doubt a result of several important vehicles, including all variants of DaimlerChrysler's LX platform (Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger), as well as the Cadillac CTS, Smart Fortwo, Mazda RX-8, Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35," DesRosiers says. "All of these RWD vehicles were introduced between 2002 and 2005, and all have proven successful. Unlike in previous years, vehicle classes outside the luxury/sport arena are represented.

"The standard criticism of rear drive is that it's bad in the snow, but today's vehicles allay these fears with effective traction and stability control systems," DesRosiers says

I'm sure people bought the ForTwo because it was RWD.

The key factor in making any car succeed is giving it appeal. RWD in and of itself isn't enough to overcome a completely mediocre car. Ask Ford why it doesn't retail Crown Vics anymore.

..um, because they haven't updated them?

168439[/snapback]

My point exactly. And actually, to the contrary, Ford put some sort of effort(??) into the Maurader, but no one cared. Why? The result was still mediocre.

Some people -ahem- act as if RWD itself will sell a car in spite of obvious deficiencies. It won't. That's proof.

Guest YellowJacket894

My point exactly. And actually, to the contrary, Ford put some sort of effort(??) into the Maurader, but no one cared. Why? The result was still mediocre.

168442[/snapback]

Actually, the problem is that the car the Maurader was meant to go toe to toe with had been long gone since 1996.

Talk about a slow reaction, huh?

Actually, the problem is that the car the Maurader was meant to go toe to toe with had been long gone since 1996.

Talk about a slow reaction, huh?

168450[/snapback]

Yes, they missed their target by many years..if they had wanted the Marauder to have a market impact, it should have been out in '95 or '96 at the latest when the Impala SS was still out...

One only has to read the above few posts to see the Truth: Impala SS returned (in name) in 2004. But enthusiasts hold the '94-'96 in much higher esteem. Why does anyone suppose that is? I mean, the 3800 SC is no slouch, and the 5.3 V8 is an absolute gem. I believe both FWD Impala SSs have been quicker on the dragstrip than the vaunted '94-'96... YET NO ONE LOVES THEM.

LONG LIVE RWD!!!!!!!!!!!! :pbjtime:

The Panthers are old, but by no means are they mediocre.

168443[/snapback]

Even in the very small world of domestic luxury cars, the Town Car was extrodinarily mediocre until very recently, compared to the DeVille, and I still don't understand why a car of its price doesn't have stability control, especially a luxury car, especially a Lincoln.

Ocn,

In direct contrast, the SHO has earned lots of fans but I suspected the Maurauder will remain one of those unlamented unknows forever. Again, its more to do with the overall car than just the powertrain configuration. Remember the big hoopla about Chrysler bringing back afforable rear-wheel drive and V8 power? It was there all the time. It was called the Crown Vic and no one cared.

Also, take even Caprice vs. Crown Vic when they coexisted. The Caprice was a superior car in almost every way. In many fashions, it still is, showing again, its the car as a whole, not just what wheels move it.

...its more to do with the overall car than just the powertrain configuration. Remember the big hoopla about Chrysler bringing back afforable rear-wheel drive and V8 power? It was there all the time. It was called the Crown Vic and no one cared.

Also, take even Caprice vs. Crown Vic when they coexisted. The Caprice was a superior car in almost every way. In many fashions, it still is, showing again, its the car as a whole, not just what wheels move it.

Agreed ... whole heartedly.

I've had 2 FWD cars ... and have liked a few others enough to test drive 'em. But, I won't go back to FWD ... at least that I can foresee.

My '87 MC LS is just fine for me. Yeah, I might rent a car for my road trips, but that keeps the miles off my own car ... and gives me a bit more "peace of mind" ... such that, if something does happen to the car, I'm not worrying about who is fixing the car ;). And, the '87 MC LS has been more trouble free than my former '00 mc LS.

*shrugs*

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

What's it like to buy your favorite car brand new? Wish I knew...

"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

The Panthers are old, but by no means are they mediocre.

168443[/snapback]

Fly is right though.... Ford/L/M should have redesigned them, at least ALL the

sheet metal in like 2002 at the latest. IF they were given a stylistic update,

even a very conservative one, they would sell much better. The car has

barely changed cosmetically in 8 years... and even then it was a half-hearted

redesign.

1992-1997 same bodystyle.

1998-2006 same exactr bodystyle, very similar to the previous one. :stupid:

Hey Ford: don;t try to disprove the theory... it's true what

they say: You can't squeeze blood from a rock. Trust me.

They seem pretty mediocre to me.. smallish interior for the size, outdated BOF construction, cheap interior plastic, etc...

168465[/snapback]

I don't consider any car that can provide its owner with 12 to 15 years, over 200,000 miles of reliable service at a low cost to be mediocre. The Town Car is a waste of money, but I certainly consider the Grand Marquis for around $20,000 or even less to be a great deal and by no means mediocre. The Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria are often the choice of buyers who try to be wise with their money.

Guest YellowJacket894

One only has to read the above few posts to see the Truth:  Impala SS returned (in name) in 2004.  But enthusiasts hold the '94-'96 in much higher esteem.  Why does anyone suppose that is?  I mean, the 3800 SC is no slouch, and the 5.3 V8 is an absolute gem.  I believe both FWD Impala SSs have been quicker on the dragstrip than the vaunted '94-'96... YET NO ONE LOVES THEM.

LONG LIVE RWD!!!!!!!  :pbjtime:

168480[/snapback]

For me, it's not so much an issue with front-drive or rear-drive. The 2004 front-drive Impala SS wasn't much of a car to look at in my opinion and it was only competition for the top-level Accord at best (240-horsepower was pathedic). And the 2006 version is a torque-steer king; the powertrain in that car is not a formula that works well at all.

No arguement here. It's a damn shame GM didn't at least keep the Caprice around for a few more years for fleet sales only.

Yes, they missed their target by many years..if they had wanted the Marauder to have a market impact, it should have been out in '95 or '96 at the latest when the Impala SS was still out...

Again, no arguement. Ford, by all means, had the ability and the parts to make the Marauder in '95 or '96.

Edited by YellowJacket894

One only has to read the above few posts to see the Truth:  Impala SS returned (in name) in 2004.  But enthusiasts hold the '94-'96 in much higher esteem.  Why does anyone suppose that is?  I mean, the 3800 SC is no slouch, and the 5.3 V8 is an absolute gem.  I believe both FWD Impala SSs have been quicker on the dragstrip than the vaunted '94-'96... YET NO ONE LOVES THEM.

LONG LIVE RWD!!!!!!!!!!!!                    :pbjtime:

168480[/snapback]

The other big difference between the '96 and the '06?

'96 = Badass looking

'06 = looks like what that middle aged mother of 2 secretary might drive if she doesn't have a minivan.

Hmmm... yes, I like the old B-body bodystyle.. but what on Earth made it look badass? The 17" rims? The (nice) barely-there spoiler? The body color grille? The blacked-out trim? It really wasn't very different from a garden-variety Caprice. The sheer size of the car, imo, had a lot to do with its persona.

Hmmm... yes, I like the old B-body bodystyle.. but what on Earth made it look badass?  The 17" rims?  The (nice) barely-there spoiler?  The body color grille?  The blacked-out trim?  It really wasn't very different from a garden-variety Caprice.  The sheer size of the car, imo, had a lot to do with its persona.

168846[/snapback]

And yet those little touches turned a Caprice with a tuned engine from geriatric and undesirable into hotness.

I admit, I'm still mad that the B-body went out of production. It was the quintessential American car. If GM had a bit more foresight, a Zeta platform car could have been its direct replacement... instead of coming 12 years later.

Hmmm... yes, I like the old B-body bodystyle.. but what on Earth made it look badass?  The 17" rims?  The (nice) barely-there spoiler?  The body color grille?  The blacked-out trim?  It really wasn't very different from a garden-variety Caprice.  The sheer size of the car, imo, had a lot to do with its persona.

168846[/snapback]

the fact that it lunged towards you with that blacked out grill much in the same way the Charger, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger and prev-gen 5-series do.

That Impala was good to look at from the side but up close at 45* angle the side more resembles that of a submarine..........which could also be said of of our LSS, Bonnevilles, PA and everything else GM from that generation but somehow the sides of that last B body were way too whaleish for me. The last of the great looking RWD GM's were 76 for the B/C body and 77 for the A.........Thats my opinion and Im stickin to it.

I actually like the 06 Impalas looks, theres many already bought around here...and since when is 240 hp 280 tq pathatic ? I have that engine and it makes my old 68 Impala look pathatic by a H U G E margin and the rest of the features of a modern luxury car makes for no comparision.

It will be hella nice thing when GM offers more in RWD than a Cadillac, Vette or Roadster

"This recovery is no doubt a result of several important vehicles, including all variants of DaimlerChrysler's LX platform (Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger), as well as the Cadillac CTS, Smart Fortwo, Mazda RX-8, Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35," DesRosiers says. "All of these RWD vehicles were introduced between 2002 and 2005, and all have proven successful. Unlike in previous years, vehicle classes outside the luxury/sport arena are represented.

168242[/snapback]

The design of the LX cars leads toward the more aggressive nature. The majority of the cars listed are all in the luxury/sports arena. This article might have been more credible if it had listed the Magnum as a vehicle best representing the practical sense of RWD on a mainstream/everyday vehicle.

If not for just the 'fun' factor, what practical benefit is there to the average consumer who knows no difference?

• 3 weeks later...

For most people there isnt really a difference. I am in the camp that FWD is better in snow than RWD. Though I am sure with todays advances it could possibly be made to address the snow issue. But you still have the inefficiency in the RWD setup not to mention the space it takes up. Dont get me wrong, I like the Bonneville better than anything else in the world in most ways, but I can also admit its inadequesies one of which is it is not as nice in snow as my 200 Monte Carlo or my Equinox. And yes it has a large trunk but the RWD stuff means the spare cant be hidden under the floor like it can in a FWD one. And thats very important to most people.

Some people -ahem- act as if RWD itself will sell a car in spite of obvious deficiencies. It won't. That's proof.

168442[/snapback]

amen. if anything. AWD is the big draw these days. from SUV's to cars....AWD is where its at.

LONG LIVE RWD!!!!!!!!!!!!                    :pbjtime:

168480[/snapback]

the ghetto bling / hood styling of the 94-96 SS is just as much reason why it is a popular car.

Even in the very small world of domestic luxury cars, the Town Car was extrodinarily mediocre until very recently, compared to the DeVille, and I still don't understand why a car of its price doesn't have stability control, especially a luxury car, especially a Lincoln.

Ocn,

In direct contrast, the SHO has earned lots of fans but I suspected the Maurauder will remain one of those unlamented unknows forever. Again, its more to do with the overall car than just the powertrain configuration. Remember the big hoopla about Chrysler bringing back afforable rear-wheel drive and V8 power? It was there all the time. It was called the Crown Vic and no one cared.

168485[/snapback]

i think why the 300 got so much praise was its unibody/RWD combo. BOF is hated by the auto rags. unibody is tighter.

168526[/snapback]

the person that wrote that into the article did no testing to prove or disprove that statement. most customers still know that even with ESC and stuff, RWD is a bitch to get aorund in in winter when FWD or AWD is so much easier.

add esc and stuff to FWD and AWD and its even more winter friendly.

does everyone forget why SUV's became popular in the first place? AWD/4wd.

Edited by regfootball

168846[/snapback]

the rear side glass behind the door was changed. the impala emblem was added. and, the big change.....opening up the rear wheel well.

the most effective changes that made the Impala SS a looker and the caprice not, was the wide tires and black paint and lower susp. the wide tires were properly proportioned to the wide ass. the base caprice tires looked like bike tires.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't consider any car that can provide its owner with 12 to 15 years, over 200,000 miles of reliable service at a low cost to be mediocre.  The Town Car is a waste of money, but I certainly consider the Grand Marquis for around $20,000 or even less to be a great deal and by no means mediocre.  The Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria are often the choice of buyers who try to be wise with their money.

168717[/snapback]

Agreed. :)

Reg. is 100% correct though.

FWD & AWD make it much easier in the winter to drive...

Drive into trees

Drive into guardrails

Drive into telephone poles

Drive into snow banks

Drive into stone walls

Drive into parked cars

Drive into curbstones

Drive into oncomming traffic...

Guest YellowJacket894

Sixty4, I wouldn't really say that's true about All-Wheel Drive...with a near fifty-fifty balance.

But, for AWD with a 65 percent front-wheel bias or more, it's true. Making an AWD car mostly front-wheel biased really defeats the whole point.