SMALL CROSSOVERS

Here's a topic to discuss all the neat small to mid economical crossovers available.

Which do you like, which do you not.

Vue

Element

HHR

PT Cruiser

Caliber

Compass

Patriot

Escape

Outlander

CRV

Equinox

Mazda5

Forester

I like what the new Jeep patriot offers. I've always like the VUE, and the new hybrid should be cool.

The new RAV4 sucks. It does have hp but its interior is a mess and still no rear bumper.

HHR, PT Cruiser and Mazda 5 are crossovers? I thought they were just high roof wagons. They don't even have AWD available.

If I didn't need AWD, I'd probably go for an HHR otherwise you'd find me in a Forester. The key for me is "utility".

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Mazda5, Vibe/Matrix, HHR, PTC, Caliber - they are all simply Compacts with tall roof - commonly referred to in europe as Compact Space Wagons.

Escape (trio), Equinox/Torrent, Vue, CRV, Santa Fe, Sportage and untill recently Rav-4 are "true" compact Crossover utility vehicles - offeting SUV styling anf softroading capabilities ..

Forester, Element, Patriot and Compass are questionable, as they either look like nothing else on the road, or look like C-SW, but offer Off road capabilities ...

There is also significant difference in price between C-SW and C-CUV

I know in some cases I am splitting hairs, but these ARE two different segments.. they just have a few models that are trying to bridge them.

Igor

Edited by Igor2

I was in an HHR today-a nice Silverstone Metallic 2LT, to be exact, as my friend drives cars/trucks back and forth to dealers from Hoselton here in East Rochester, went to lunch in one today. Nice exterior, didn't catch the MSRP for once, great dashboard, ice-cold air conditioning-for a top-line tall, small wagon I was disappointed though that there were no illuminated visor mirrors and the rear seat was kind of small, not the best visibility (even out of the windshield), on the narrow side too, but the front leather/fake cloth seats were chair-high and as long as you weren't tall or wide or such, you'll have decent knee room, even if its having your left leg rest comfortably on the side of the center of the dashboard on the passenger's side. Equinox and Torrent are mid-size, not compact crossover SUV's (hopefully I'll get to check those out next). Mazda 5 is an act to follow-the microvan returns, and it is the first good microvan (the 1992-94/96 Plymouth Colt Vista/Mitsubishi Expo LRV/Eagle Summit Wagon were rubbish in my opinion, especially with a low-backrest rear seat and terrible interior, and terrible exterior on non-topline models).

Mazda5, Vibe/Matrix, HHR, PTC, Caliber - they are all simply Compacts with tall roof - commonly referred to in europe as Compact Space Wagons.

Escape (trio), Equinox/Torrent, Vue, CRV, Santa Fe, Sportage and untill recently Rav-4 are "true" compact Crossover utility vehicles - offeting SUV styling anf softroading capabilities ..

Forester, Element, Patriot and Compass are questionable, as they either look like nothing else on the road, or look like C-SW, but offer Off road capabilities ...

There is also significant difference in price between C-SW and C-CUV

I know in some cases I am splitting hairs, but these ARE two different segments.. they just have a few models that are trying to bridge them.

Igor

171114[/snapback]

The Compass / Caliber is meant to compete with the Vibe/Matrix and HHR and PTC etc. I think.

The Patriot is meant to go head to head with the 4 cylinder versions of the Vue, CRV, and Escape I think. I like that the Patriot is a Caliber with real headroom and a view out the windows.

I would take a Patriot over a soft looking Forester any day I think.

I like the HHR but the windows don't allow much view out and the hood is too long, some of those inches should have been returned to the cabin. I'd like it if the HHR was about 2 inches wider in the cabin too.

PT Cruiser is stil neat except the interior is kinda whack now. A little cheesy.

I'd like the Vibe if it didn't have the wheezer Toyota wuss motor in it. Great space utilization in it though. I don't like all the cladding.

Do we include the Fit?

If I were looking to simply buy a tall compact - Mazda5 all the way - but I am biased.. since I drive MAzda3.. Mazda5 is practically a more spacious version of the same car ... I love it...

If I wanted something more offroad ... I would have tougher times .. nothing there appeals to me ... as a Ford guy I like theEscape enough, but the interior makes me want to cry - Vue is no better - I would probably go with the Foreser just for the Subaru image and powertrain.

Igor

If I were looking to simply buy a tall compact - Mazda5 all the way - but I am biased.. since I drive MAzda3.. Mazda5 is practically a more spacious version of the same car ... I love it...

If I wanted something more offroad ... I would have tougher times .. nothing there appeals to me ... as a Ford guy I like theEscape enough, but the interior makes me want to cry - Vue is no better - I would probably go with the Foreser just for the Subaru image and powertrain.

Igor

171188[/snapback]

That Mazda3 and 5 could really use some more ponies..........

That Mazda3 and 5 could really use some more ponies..........

171190[/snapback]

based on paper - sure ... but I can tell you that I never longed for more power in my Mz3s stick ... the 5 is heavier though .... For me the chasis would make them great to drive even if the engine had mere 130 otr100 hp... I just love driving my car.. as you can tell I love my car and I am biased ;)

Igor

i was repelled by the tuscon but checked one out at the autoshow. even though it looks bad, i thought the interior was ok. certainly less of a pile of korean crap than the azera.

when does the vue redline hit. i will be interested in seeing how well that sells.

Edited by regfootball

I like the Escape / Mariner since they have traditional SUV styling...nothing trendy or swoopy that requires an explanation...and nothing that will look out-dated or silly in 4 or 5 years. I bought a Mariner (over the Escape) due to the more luxurious interior detailing and the elegant exterior trim. Rides alot like a car, good turning radius...so-so fuel economy. Looks more expensive than it is.

I really like the Chevy HHR's overall shape, proportions, size, and PRICE! Have not driven one of those, so unable to have any basis for a performance opinion. Turn my head to look every time one passes by. Strong emotional value in the design!

The Equinox-VUE-Torrent have attractive bodies, but that's offset by the flimsy feel in the interior controls / door panels / dash tops. I've driven a VUE & Equinox and was quite put-off by these attributes.

Also like the new Jeep Patriot...again, traditional styling is the main draw. Caliber interior (shared with Patriot?) is cheap & hard but feels durable rather than flimsy. OK, cheap interior? That's OK for the Jeep's mission.

Honda Element -Good use of space, fun "youthful" styling, but sluggish and top-heavy, ponderous handling. Great pricing & dollar value! Looks a little too playful. I respect it's "Honda resale value" but not at the expense of daily enjoyment and dignity.

Edited by jlgolden

I like the Escape  / Mariner since they have traditional SUV styling...nothing trendy or swoopy that requires an explanation...and nothing that will look out-dated or silly in 4 or 5 years.  I bought a Mariner (over the Escape) due to the more luxurious interior detailing and the elegant exteior trim.  Rides alot like a car, good turning radius...so-so fuel economy.  Looks more expensive than it is.

I really like the Chevy HHR's overall shape, proportions, size, and PRICE!  Have not driven one of those, so unable to have any basis for a performance opinion.  Turn my head to look every time one passes by.  Strong emotional value in the design!

The Equinox-VUE-Torrent have attractive bodies, but that's offset by the flimsy feel in the interior controls / door panels / dash tops.  I've driven a VUE & Equinox and was quite put-off by these attributes. 

Also like the new Jeep Patriot...again, traditional styling is the main draw.  Caliber interior (shared with Patriot?) is cheap & hard but feels durable rather than flimsy.  OK, cheap interior?  That's OK for the Jeep's mission.

Honda Element -Good use of space, fun "youthful" styling, but sluggish and top-heavy, ponderous handling.  Great pricing & dollar value! Looks a little too playful.  I respect it's "Honda resale value" but not at the expense of daily enjoyment and dignity.

174923[/snapback]

the Escape is fairly space efficient. good room for 4 and a nice sized trunk.

When the math is done, nothing beats the HHR.  Perfect crash rating, moderate price, decent power, outstanding rear legroom . . .

It just adds up, no matter how you look at it.  That's why we bought one.

180358[/snapback]

i like HHR, but i felt like the views to the outside were constricted. the PT cruiser IMHO is just as nice still. both are good choices.

i like HHR, but i felt like the views to the outside were constricted.  the PT cruiser IMHO is just as nice still.  both are good choices.

180421[/snapback]

That's an annoying feature of a lot of new vehicles lately..they seem to be consciously making the windows smaller...esp. Chrysler products.

• 2 months later...

I cant really complain about my Equinox. Parents like theirs also. Though they havent been perfect. They have had some of the 1st year bugs that sometimes come with a brand new vehicles. But they were handled nicely and I know if I got a replacement that it wouldnt have some of that stuff. We love the room and the features it has.