Cadillac BLS & BRX

HarleyEarl

IL Insider: Cadillac Eyes Smaller Crossover, Compact Sedan for U.S.

Date posted: 08-22-2006

STORY TOOLS

PRINT THIS SAVE THIS

EMAIL THIS MOST POPULAR

DETROIT — Cadillac is considering the addition of a sub-$30,000 four-cylinder crossover vehicle to its U.S. lineup, part of an apparent plan to attack the lower end of the luxury segment.

Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor confirmed the plans for the crossover to Inside Line, but didn't divulge many details.

"Everything is a hedge," Taylor said. "Customers don't count cylinders."

However, IL has learned from General Motors suppliers that Cadillac has tentative plans to add the new midsize crossover vehicle in mid-2009. Known internally as the BRX, the crossover would share basic architecture and components with the next-generation Chevrolet Equinox and Saturn Vue.

Cadillac also has plans to build and sell an updated version of its compact BLS sedan in North America in late 2009, according to GM suppliers. The new model would be slotted below the CTS in size and price, and would be based on the next-generation Epsilon global midsize architecture. It presumably would be offered in both front- and all-wheel-drive variants, with a choice of four-cylinder and V6 engines. The current BLS, which is built by Saab in Sweden, is sold only in Europe.

Taylor also said Cadillac's proposed V12 engine, once slated for use in the full-size Escalade utility vehicle, still has not been approved for production, indicating that the engine may have to be shelved because of fuel-economy and financial considerations. The 12-cylinder engine "is not dead," Taylor confirmed, saying it is still a "high desire" item, but "a tough one to justify," in terms of budget approval.

He added that Cadillac currently has "more interest in entry luxury" products than in the so-called "prestige luxury" segment that is still dominated by such European brands as Mercedes-Benz and BMW. Nevertheless, Taylor said a proposed Cadillac "super sedan," possibly equipped with the V12 and aimed at the S-Class and 7 Series, "is a necessity... but it's a question of when do we do it."

In the interim, Taylor said Cadillac planned to offer sport packages on the STS and DTS sedans, similar to the ones available on the SRX and CTS. Bundling macho wheels and a more aggressive front fascia, the package would be priced from around $3,500, he said, without specifying timing.

What this means to you: Cadillac appears to be shifting gears, refocusing on the lower end of the premium market while backpedaling on plans to enter the ultraluxury segment.

id like to see a midsize FWD Cadillac. they need it to battle the Lexus ES and the Acura TL.. if Lexus can have a midsize FWD sedan why cant Cadillac?? we will soon see an epsilion platform midsize from all GM divisions except GMC and Hummer.. Cadillac BLS, Pontiac G6, Chevy Malibu, Buick Lacrosse replacement, Saab 9-3, and Saturn Aura.. as well as the europe Opel and Vauxhall models..

I agree to a point. I do wonder if Cadillac has to be all things to all people though. I still hope Cadillac will do a super luxury model with a 12 cyl. As a Cadillac fan I'd prefer this division going into an ultra-luxury direction...regaining their historical prestige.

id like to see a midsize FWD Cadillac. they need it to battle the Lexus ES and the Acura TL..  if Lexus can have a midsize FWD sedan why cant Cadillac??

184097[/snapback]

A good answer to your question is that Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus don't have the kind of overlap GM has cultivated over the years, as they have less brands. I'd like Cadillac to sell a BLS/BTS model in the US, but GM has to be very careful with the way it positions its brands/models.

Automotive News said this week that the BLS will not be sold in the U.S., and I find AN more reliable than Edmunds. AN did say that the BRX will be produced.

However, GM's core brands are Chevrolet and Cadillac. Everything else is peripheral. Some will scream that a smaller Cadillac will overlap too much with Buick. A smaller, more fuel efficient Cadillac sedan, if well done, may be a good idea as fuel prices climb higher.

Cadillac C!MARRON II <_<

I do wonder if Cadillac has to be all things to all people though.

184106[/snapback]

No they don't and they SHOULDN'T!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I still hope Cadillac will do a super luxury model with a 12 cyl.  As a Cadillac fan I'd prefer this division going into an ultra-luxury direction...regaining their historical prestige.

184106[/snapback]

S I X T E E N

I agree with SixtyEight. I think it's a mis-step to try to be all things to all people. Look how well it's worked for Mercedes. They may be sellign more cars, but they have lost something important in the process. They used to be looked at as perfect, now they're jsut another car company.

By all means bring on a smaller Caddy, but it better be RWD and really nice or they are going to be shredded by the motoring press like last months Visa bill.

I think people shouldn't jump to conclusions on vehicles that they know nothing about. I'm going to wait for more details and some photos before I start stating that Cadillac will be ruined for entering new segments.

Also, the problem with Mercedes isn't the fact that they're producing more cars, it's the fact that all it's vehicles look almost exactly the same and build quality has become atrocious. Now, one could argue that both examples could be a direct result of producing more cars but remember, Mercedes started going down hill years ago.

The next BLS will most likely be on Epsilon II which will offer AWD, so you know Cadillac will use that to it's advantage. There's nothing wrong with an AWD car on a platform that's predominately FWD. Look at Audi. It's worked out great for that company.

A move downmarket by Cadillac can be seen as a direct threat to Buick. I say don't do it. CTS and its variants should be the entry-level vehicle.

A jewel-like TSX competitor for Buick, on the other hand, would be great.

I notice no one is mentioning the Lincoln MKZ as a competitor for the proposed Cadillac.

Cadillac should be an all-RWD company, with a smattering of AWD variants. It is a step backward for Cadillac to back away from their successful return to RWD.

A move downmarket by Cadillac can be seen as a direct threat to Buick.  I say don't do it.  CTS and its variants should be the entry-level vehicle.

A jewel-like TSX competitor for Buick, on the other hand, would be great. 

I notice no one is mentioning the Lincoln MKZ as a competitor for the proposed Cadillac.

Cadillac should be an all-RWD company, with a smattering of AWD variants.  It is a step backward for Cadillac to back away from their successful return to RWD.

187118[/snapback]

BINGO. leave FWD for buick and the rest of the brands. There is no need for Cadillac to appease "all" luxury car buyers.

A "sub 30k FWD based crossover" with a 4-cylinder, would get Cadillac laughed at in no time. Cadillac needs to stay about the 30k line. As nice as it would be for everyone to have a entry level cadillac sedan/crossover/coupe, it's not in the cards if the brand wants to retain it's exclusivity.

Keep the BRX for europe please! We'll take the 9-4x though...