Lucerne Coupe

buickguy

You won't see a Lucerne coupe on it's current platform. Not that it's impossible but it's would be a waste to spend so much money reconfiguring a platform that is about to be phased out. Buick might actually get a convertable for Zeta that may be like the Velite if it seemed like a profitable venture.

You are pretty much describing what the 1995-1999 Buick Riviera was.

183981[/snapback]

Very good point. That was a large coupe that rode on exactly the same G-body (minus a few updates) as the current Lucerne. But it's too limited of a market, and the Lucerne (even after only a year) is already too "old" of a car underneath to bother with such a model.

Not a good idea. The Riv has been placed on platforms concurrent with other cars, beginning with the 1977 to 1984 run of the LeSabre and the result detracted from what a Riv was supposed to be.

The same would apply to Lucerne. Leave it as a sedan. Bring back the Riv as a coupe and have it ride on its own chassis. Remember, Buick = premium American motorcars.

Bob, the B-body Riviera ran only from '77-'78.  The classic '79-'84 was an E-body, shared with Eldorado and Toronado.

184044[/snapback]

True...the '77-78 was a rebodied LeSabre basically..had pretty much the same interior. Wierd that Buick did that while Cadillac and Olds kept their old Es through '78.

I've always like the look of the '79-84 (or was it '85? I can't remember) FWD Rivs and Eldos..so much nicer than their shrunken replacements, IMHO...

Edited by moltar

Bob, the B-body Riviera ran only from '77-'78.  The classic '79-'84 was an E-body, shared with Eldorado and Toronado.

184044[/snapback]

You're right, you're right, you're right.

The 79 went FWD along with the Eldo and the Toro...the Eldo was nicely proportioned followed by the Toro. They typically ran with 5.7s but I recall a 4.1 Buick being available somewhere in that span of years.

The Riviera was actually the frumpiest of those with a tall lean-back Parthenon grille and a weird backlite. I am sure it rode nicely, though.

You're right, you're right, you're right.

The 79 went FWD along with the Eldo and the Toro...the Eldo was nicely proportioned followed by the Toro.  They typically ran with 5.7s but I recall a 4.1 Buick being available somewhere in that span of years. 

The Riviera was actually the frumpiest of those with a tall lean-back Parthenon grille and a weird backlite.  I am sure it rode nicely, though.

184098[/snapback]

The Riv was my favorite of those, I always liked the curve to the rear quarter panel..the T-Type version was esp. clean. The Eldo was crisp and clean, and looked great in the Touring Coupe version..the Toro seemed to be the most invisible of the 3, I remember them usually in a dull brown with a vinyl top..

I remember in the '80s they had a special trim for the Toro, that used the old Mercury Comet subseries name 'Caliente'.

I don't think a Lucerne coupe would be an intelligent choice to make financially. For how much it'd cost to engineer and the time it'd take to do it, the car would be ready for a redesign and it probably wouldn't be popular enough in sales to make up the amount spent on engineering.

I don't think a Lucerne coupe would be an intelligent choice to make financially. For how much it'd cost to engineer and the time it'd take to do it, the car would be ready for a redesign and it probably wouldn't be popular enough in sales to make up the amount spent on engineering.

184123[/snapback]

Yeah, the large 2dr market seems pretty dead. Sad but true. There isn't much of a midsize 2dr market either...the Solara is on it's way out, and the Accord, G6, and MC are about the only mainstream ones left..though I've seen rumors Ford may do a Fusion coupe.

Yeah, the large 2dr market seems pretty dead.  Sad but true. 

184126[/snapback]

Agreed ... as I think about the 2-door last gen Grand Prix coupe for which the roofline and silhouette worked beautifully with the 2-door configuration....

Agreed ... as I think about the 2-door last gen Grand Prix coupe for which the roofline and silhouette worked beautifully with the 2-door configuration....

184129[/snapback]

I think it was probably the best looking of the W-bodies..a very graceful roofline..the 4dr of that generation looked good also.

It's too bad Buick didn't have a coupe version of the '97-04 Regal and Olds a coupe version of the Intrigue..both looked pretty clean in 4dr form, and would have made good looking coupes, IMHO.

Edited by moltar

The manufacturers eliminated the need for 2dr cars, styling wise, when they finally began to "sport" up the 4dr cars. One would only have to look back. the old 4dr cars always had that anti sport look = fat, vetical C pillor. It was the way to make the statement, "I dont want to stick out in the crowd" "Im a sensible family man, I dont need to be seen flaunting around in some "sports car". What seperated the 2dr. from the 4dr. was they would put some slope on that C pillor. Sometimes more but usually is was always the C pillor.

Now take the cars you guys were just talking about, the GP or possible 2dr Intrigues........ect. All they did on that GP was move the B pillor back, build a longer door. In profile it looks no different from the 4dr. All you gain is more leverage on the door hinges and a hard time getting in and out of the back seat. More stress on the seat backs as everyone yanks and pulls on them getting in and out of the back seat...............ever seen a broken down Camaro seat.

Now the G6 coupe, as well as the Hondas and Toyotas and Nissan 2 drs are done right. In many cases the entire rear panels of the cars are different, especially seen on the G6 coupe, rear quarters are differently styled, roof is far more aggressively styled, taillights are totally different. You see this on Celicas, Solaras, Z's, ect. They are their own car, that is the best way. If your going to have a coupe, give it its own body and then it might as well have its own name.

I believe most 4dr cars since the 90's have been just as sexy as 2dr's used to be. Another example I can think of is the Seville STS compared to the Eldorado, both have that sexy luxury "sports" appeal........and they are different bodies........Id take a Seville anyday. Aurora - Riviera, both quite different but for sex appeal its a real toss up. When you set two identical looking cars on the lot but ones a real pain in the back seat...............which model is going to sell ?

bottom line - Lucerne is sexy enough just as it is.