One-year only nameplates

With the '06 Lincoln Zephyr being a one-year only model (becoming MKZ for '07), I was trying to think of some other examples of models whose name lasted only 1 year...

or for that matter, models that lasted only 1 year or whose design lasted only 1 year..pretty rare in modern times..

All the original names for the Sunbird:

I believe they were 2000, J2000, and 2000 Sunbird. Three different years.

Or... the Pontiac Persuit in Canada. The '05s didn't have the "G5" on there.

186508[/snapback]

I think the Pontiac 6000 was A6000 it's first year. Wasn't the most recent Pontiac minivan called a Montana SV6 in '05 then SV6 only in '06?

In the '80s, Buick had a 'Somerset Regal' that became Somerset after 1 year then Skylark after another year or two, I think..

Nissan called the Altima the Stanza Altima it's first year and the Armada was the Pathfinder Armada for it's first year....

Edited by moltar

Does not fit the technical definition of the question but the

1963 Corvette (split-window) coupe was a one year only

design. the 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass 2-door had a one

year only nose, different from 1979 & 1981.

Posted Image

Does not fit the technical definition of the question but the

1963 Corvette (split-window) coupe was a one year only

design. the 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass 2-door had a one

year only nose, different from 1979 & 1981.

The '80 Regal and '80 Monte Carlo were like that also..had a unique 4-headlight front end different than '78-79.

Of course, back in the '50s-60s cars got heavy facelifts from year to year, and sometimes there were entire designs unique for 1 year--like the '58 Chevy.

I'm not sure if I would consider the '63 vette a 1 year design, since the '63-67 was the same overall design--the split window was a different design detail, like the various louvers and hood treatments over the 5 year run...

Edited by moltar

- 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am

(as well as the less loved 2nd gen. Turbo)

- 1968 Corvette...

I known it does not look different form 1969 but the majority

of the body panels and some mechanical components were

redesigned since an early launch caused a lot of lemons.

- 1968 Corvette...

186630[/snapback]

'

'68 had the distinction of a name change also, since the '67 was the Corvette Sting Ray, '68 just plain Corvette, and '69 was Corvette Stingray..

- 1968 Corvette...

186630[/snapback]

TTA = Turbo Trans Am :AH-HA_wink:

I think the Pontiac 6000 was A6000 it's first year.

It was supposed to be called "A6000" (along with the T1000 and J2000), but it never happened. The 6000 was always the 6000 in production.

Nissan called the Altima the Stanza Altima it's first year and the Armada was the Pathfinder Armada for it's first year....

The "Stanza Altima" was technically the "Stanza Altima" for much of the first generation. The "Pathfinder Armada," though, was only that for PART of the first year...probably the shortest-lived nameplate in modern times where the vehicle continued.

Chrysler E-class?

Dodge 400?

I believe the E-Class was replaced by the Plymouth Caravelle in its second year. The Dodge 400, however, lasted two years, I believe, before taking the Dodge 600 name.

Another one that is closer to the spirit of the orginal thread was the Dodge Demon, used that name only 2 years before being renamed the Dart Sport.

I thought the Demon name was a one-year only name...but I could be mistaken.

Trim levels like "Turbo Trans Am" and "Charger 500" don't seem to fit into this same category. I believe "Pontiac 2+2" was the official name of the "Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2" which would take it from "trim level" into "model name."

How long was the Saturn L-Series known as the LS1, LS2, and LS3 before dropping the "S"?

On the American market, the Chrysler Voyager only lasted a year or two. Same with the Chrysler Prowler. I think the Mercury LN7 lasted two or three years.

I believe the E-Class was replaced by the Plymouth Caravelle in its second year. The Dodge 400, however, lasted two years, I believe, before taking the Dodge 600 name.

I thought the 400 and 600 coexisted at least one model year. Chrysler did a lot of wierd naming things in the '80s..the Omni/Horizon 2dr hatchbacks got renamed a few times (024 to Charger, TC3 to Turismo to Duster?), and LeBaron was slapped on 27 different cars.. :)

I thought the Demon name was a one-year only name...but I could be mistaken.

'71-72.

Trim levels like "Turbo Trans Am" and "Charger 500" don't seem to fit into this same category. I believe "Pontiac 2+2" was the official name of the "Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2" which would take it from "trim level" into "model name."

Right.

On the American market, the Chrysler Voyager only lasted a year or two. Same with the Chrysler Prowler. I think the Mercury LN7 lasted two or three years.

186711[/snapback]

The Chrysler Voyager and Prowler also had the strange distinction of a model and name changing brands..not something that happens often...(though other names have been used across brands on totally different cars (and sometimes across totally different companies)--i.e. Calias, Celebrity, Sebring, Caliente, Pacer, Citation, , Phoenix, Challenger, Continental, to name a few..

Edited by moltar

The new design for '61 DeSotos -which in fact lost their model names entirely-- only lasted 47 days into the '61 model year before the Division was discontinued.

The new design for '60 Edsel lasted only 35 days into the '60 model year; it's last, tho it's model names were unchanged.

How long was the Saturn L-Series known as the LS1, LS2, and LS3 before dropping the "S"?

186711[/snapback]

Darn you for beating me to it! lol It was only the first year as the LS, LS1, LS2 and LW, LW1, LW2. After that it was the L100, L200, L300 and LW100, LW200, LW300.

Then in the final year of the L-Series, they did a funky thing to use up the last of the parts. All sedans were L300's, but there were 3 versions, the L300-1, L300-2, and L300-3. The -2 and -3 had V6 - previously all L300s had the V6. The -1 had the 2.2 Ecotec.

Edited by PurdueGuy

I was trying to think of some other examples of models whose name lasted only 1 year...

Chevrolet Monte Carlo Custom ... 1972.

Had been: Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS ... 1970 and 1971.

or for that matter, models that lasted only 1 year or whose design lasted only 1 year..pretty rare in modern times..

The aforementioned 1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

And, a bit off subject, but 1986 is the only year of the 4th gen MCs that the SC, LS and SS models were available all at the same time.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I see clearly now" ... Nelly ... 'Over and Over'

I thought the 400 and 600 coexisted at least one model year.  Chrysler did a lot of wierd naming things in the '80s..the Omni/Horizon 2dr hatchbacks got renamed a few times (024 to Charger, TC3 to Turismo to Duster?), and LeBaron was slapped on 27 different cars.. :)

The 400 was introduced as 2-door, 4-door, and convertible in 1982 while the 600 came along in 1983. I believe the 2-door and convertible 400 (the 4-door is fairly rare) gained the 600 nameplate in 1984, which lasted through 1986.

And yes, there were many LeBarons. The M-body lasted from 1977 until 1981 (when it became the New Yorker). The K-body 2-door, 4-door, and convertible lasted from 1982 through 1986...the 4-door continued until 1988 (the wagon was the Town & Country). The LeBaron GTS (H-body) ran from 1985 through 1989. The J-body coupe and convertible ran from 1987 through 1994 (the coupe was dropped a year or so earlier than the convertible) when it was replaced by the Sebring. And then there was the A-body which ran from 1990 through 1994, when it was replaced by the Cirrus. Not quite 27....but atleast 10, but all lasted more than a model year.

Chevrolet Monte Carlo Custom ... 1972.

Had been:  Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS ... 1970 and 1971.

The aforementioned 1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

And, a bit off subject, but 1986 is the only year of the 4th gen MCs that the SC, LS and SS models were available all at the same time.

Those are all trim levels.

Hmm....the brochures call 'em "models".  But, that's Chevrolet for ya.

186763[/snapback]

Tangent alert!

Here's my view of nameplates and trim levels. A few years ago, GM stated that "Bonneville" and "Malibu" were "brands." Historically, this seems correct but times have changed and the automotive industry has evolved.

In the days when GM created the model year change, a "brand" (Ford, Chevrolet, Plymouth, etc) typically referred to a particular design of a vehicle. When you bought a "Ford," nobody asked "which one" because there was basically only one "Ford." Sure, you could get slightly different versions ("models") of vehicles at that time, but they were all basically based on the same car.

This concept can be explained better by showing how brands expanded their lineup at that time. When Oldsmobile or Oakland or Buick or Cadillac needed addditional "models" in their lineup, they introduced a new "brand" (Viking and Marquette and Pontiac and LaSalle).

After World War II, each brand started expanding their lineup within the existing brand name by offering unique products unrelated to the rest of the lineup. Kaiser introduced the Darrin. Chevrolet introduced the Corvette. Ford the Thunderbird. Nash the Metropolitan. Dodge the Lancer. Plymouth the Valiant.

By the time the "compacts" came on the scene in the early 1960s, nearly every brand had more than one "model" on their showroom floor. These "models" would have been called (and in some cases the dealerships advertised them as) different brands (Plymouth-Valiant dealers, Lincoln-Continental dealers, etc). Today, few people notice that a "trim level" was the equivalent of a "model" not all that long ago because the market has evolved that way.

Just one historian's perspective.

End of tangent.

The TTA and the Charger500 really were different models from the cars on which they were based. They differed in fundamental ways from their more pedestrian relatives.

No different than any other trim package. The Turbo Trans Am still falls into the Pontiac Firebird family, just as any other Trans Am would.

No different than any other trim package. The Turbo Trans Am still falls into the Pontiac Firebird family, just as any other Trans Am would.

187000[/snapback]

Following that logic would make the GNX just a trim level of the Regal, both cars were built separately from their donor cars by an outside subcontractor to GM. So, I still disagree. Both the TTA and Charger had very specific and genuine engineering and hard parts that are not found on the donor cars. The TTA's engine, for example, is unique to this car only (though based on the GN/GNX turbo V6).

The Charger 500 had significant sheetmetal differences from a standard Charger. Neither of these cars were simple trim upgrades.

With the '06 Lincoln Zephyr being a one-year only model (becoming MKZ for '07), I was trying to think of some other examples of models whose name lasted only 1 year...

186481[/snapback]

Here`s a big one that everybody missed, 1991 GMC Syclone. The GMC Typhoon was only 2 years, 1992 and 1993.

Camino: only sheetmetal difference on the Charger 500 was the flush backlight, IIRC. I know it also sported a flush grille, tho of course that's a 'bolt-on'. Any other major differences? BTW- I agree with Hudson here: the Charger 500 is not an individual model but moreso a trim level. What about the Plymouth Superbird or the Dodge Daytona?

'58 Buick Limited: 1-yr only body, 1-yr only name.

The 1978-79 Magnum XE was two years, I believe. Still digging those glass covered headlights.

I always thought it was more...but you're probably right. How about the entire 1979-1981 Chrysler R-body range, which ran only 3 years (Chrysler New Yorker, Chrysler Newport, Dodge St. Regis, Plymouth Gran Fury).

what about the pontiac aztec?

It ran for 4 or 5 years, believe it or not.

Some other odd models were Plymouth making full size trucks, The Trailduster(like a Dodge Ramcharger).and the Voyager full size van, Also I think they made the Warluck.

The Trailduster ran from about 1974 until 1979 or 1980, and the RWD Voyager also ran from the early 1970s until the FWD Voyager arrived in 1984. I would put the Dodge Warlock truck in the same category as the Monte Carlo SS or Dodge Charger 500 as a trim level.

Camino: only sheetmetal difference on the Charger 500 was the flush backlight, IIRC. I know it also sported a flush grille, tho of course that's a 'bolt-on'. Any other major differences? BTW- I agree with Hudson here: the Charger 500 is not an individual model but moreso a trim level. What about the Plymouth Superbird or the Dodge Daytona?

'58 Buick Limited: 1-yr only body, 1-yr only name.

187287[/snapback]

The flush backlight was a big deal as it required a sheetmetal "plug" to be used. The grille is certainly different and possibly the front fenders and hood (been a while since I read up on the car). I think my objection to calling it a trim level stems from the limited nature of its production as well as the motivation for offering the car at all(NASCAR rules required it). The Superbird and Daytona both qualify here, but they are only more obvious because their visual modifications are so over the top. The Charger500 was modified in nearly as significant a fashion , just more subtly.

The TTA is way more than a trim level as I mentioned earlier.

The flush backlight was a big deal as it required a sheetmetal "plug" to be used. The grille is certainly different and possibly the front fenders and hood (been a while since I read up on the car). I think my objection to calling it a trim level stems from the limited nature of its production as well as the motivation for offering the car at all(NASCAR rules required it). The Superbird and Daytona both qualify here, but they are only more obvious because their visual modifications are so over the top. The Charger500 was modified in nearly as significant a fashion , just more subtly.

The TTA is way more than a trim level as I mentioned earlier.

187905[/snapback]

I have never seen anything official that would break out the Turbo Trans Am as a distinct model...the repair manuals didn't even go as far as to break out any trim levels for the Firebird in the book's title, VIN codes were just trim level changes, and nobody I've worked with inside GM or outside has treated it as anything other than a trim level. While the Charger hasn't come up in work-related settings, I would figure the same would happen there.

Let's agree to disagree...and move on from this debate, unless significant proof can be shown one way or the other.

I have never seen anything official that would break out the Turbo Trans Am as a distinct model...the repair manuals didn't even go as far as to break out any trim levels for the Firebird in the book's title, VIN codes were just trim level changes, and nobody I've worked with inside GM or outside has treated it as anything other than a trim level. While the Charger hasn't come up in work-related settings, I would figure the same would happen there.

Let's agree to disagree...and move on from this debate, unless significant proof can be shown one way or the other.

187923[/snapback]

It's most likely a semantic argument anyway, so I have no problem ageeing to disagree. :AH-HA_wink:

I think I can shed some light as to why you can't find the official confirmation you were looking for on the TTA. The cars were shipped to an upfitter as completed GTAs and then underwent the transformation to TTA spec. Very few were built, and they were done outside of GM proper much in the way the Firehawks were. Firehawk though is actually a product of SLP officially,not GM. Both cars did carry GM RPOs for the package though. These are certainly muddy waters and obviously subject to interpretation.

Here's an aside:

'64-'68 Chevelle SSs actually bore a different body ID code because of their SS status while the later cars did not. So, up to '68 they can be positively identified by the VIN of the car. After that, it becomes much harder to prove that a given car is,in fact, an SS. Content was the same, only that official designation via body code/VIN changed. Model?, option package?, trim level?

You decide.

It's most likely a semantic argument anyway, so I have no problem ageeing to disagree. :AH-HA_wink:

I think I can shed some light as to why you can't find the official confirmation you were looking for on the TTA. The cars were shipped to an upfitter as completed GTAs and then underwent the transformation to TTA spec. Very few were built, and they were done outside of GM proper much in the way the Firehawks were. Firehawk though is actually a product of SLP officially,not GM. Both cars did carry GM RPOs for the package though. These are certainly muddy waters and obviously subject to interpretation.

I understand the outside supplier thing...just like the Camaro SS. But the Firebird service manuals covered this trim level as well as the regular Trans Am.

187000[/snapback]

If you're talking about the 1981 model, I guess you're right.

The 1989 TTA was NOT just a Firebird with a turbo bolted on.

Just like Camino said... calling the 1989 TTA a trim package

is very erroneous. Half the damn car was re-engineered.

Just like in the GNX to Regal comparison these cars were

modified in many different ways.

The TTA isd still the fastest Trans AM ever and it's also the

only pace car ever (at least up to 1989) that needed NO

modification for Pace car duty. I mean no power/suspension

brake work, just the light bar & decals.

That's all well and good, but catagorically the car is still a Pontiac Trans Am as opposed to something else. A base 6-cyl Firebird has as many differences between it and a T/A as a T/A and a TTA, doesn't it?

Wasn't the opening question 'what model or nameplate lasted only 1 year' or something very similar? I agree that the TTA is MORESO a (powertrain)/trim package on a multi-year, same-basic-model car than a unique model in & of itself.