GM, Renault and Nissan Issue Joint Statement

Variance

GM, Renault and Nissan Issue Joint Statement Regarding Alliance Prospects

PARIS (Sept. 27, 2006) -- General Motors, Renault and Nissan today said that a meeting was held between Carlos Ghosn, President and Chief Executive Officer of Renault, SAS and Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., and Rick Wagoner, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of General Motors, Corp., regarding ongoing discussions concerning the possibility of creating an industrial alliance among these three companies.

Through the work of the three study teams, our companies continue to explore the potential opportunities of an industrial alliance. The teams are conducting a thorough and objective analysis of potential synergies between all three companies with a focus on how an alliance could generate significant shareholder value for each company. Following today’s meeting, it has been confirmed that the teams will continue the studies through to the planned mid-October completion date.

No further information will be provided at this time.

Source: General Motors, Renault SA and Nissan Motor Company

Guest YellowJacket894

I hope there is no merger or anything like that. GM is doing fine on it's own, thank you. They don't need help from Nissan-Renault.

Ghosn said he wanted deserted GM factories for Nissan. Renault wants to make a return to the U.S. market sometime soon. GM could always profit from more cash. Maybe there's a way for all three to be met without becoming one corporation.

i tell you this. people in this country will not buy renaults.

if there were some technology sharing, in the interest of stonewalling toyota, i guess that would be ok, say for example, some good 4 and 6 cylinder motors or a transmission. Things like that I feel can be shared as long as the vehicles are distinct. I don't think platforms ought to be shared.

i tell you this though, if ANY of GM's styling starts to look like Renault, you will see a big backlash.

maybe this is about sharing manufacturing techonologies and running plants together, rather than the final product being the shared piece. It is in both Nissan and GM's interest to stonewall toyota.

Edited by regfootball

I hope there is no merger or anything like that. GM is doing fine on it's own, thank you. They don't need help from Nissan-Renault.

Ghosn said he wanted deserted GM factories for Nissan. Renault wants to make a return to the U.S. market sometime soon. GM could always profit from more cash. Maybe there's a way for all three to be met without becoming one corporation.

198521[/snapback]

Just remember, the only reason you think GM is doing just fine is because thats what they want you think, not that they are doing bad but if they are exploring other options then they obviously arent doing too terribly good!

i tell you this.  people in this country will not buy renaults.

if there were some technology sharing, in the interest of stonewalling toyota, i guess that would be ok, say for example, some good 4 and 6 cylinder motors or a transmission.  Things like that I feel can be shared as long as the vehicles are distinct.  I don't think platforms ought to be shared. 

i tell you this though, if ANY of GM's styling starts to look like Renault, you will see a big backlash.

maybe this is about sharing manufacturing techonologies and running plants together, rather than the final product being the shared piece.  It is in both Nissan and GM's interest to stonewall toyota.

198601[/snapback]

Yes they will buy 'em, and they already are the NISSAN VERSA is nothing but a rebadged RENAULT CLIO.

Just remember, the only reason you think GM is doing just fine is because thats what they want you think,  not that they are doing bad but if they are exploring other options then they obviously arent doing too terribly good!

198724[/snapback]

Or maybe they have a 10% shareholder looking to up his value? GM is going through the motions, then will decline the offer, or request some crazy payoff from Nissan causing Nissan to decline the offer.

they could call it the clio ms or the ms clio. maybe even do something clever with the on board navigation. thatd surely draw some into the showrooms. the truth is nissan thought gm was/is worse off then they probably could be/orpossibly are.

figured they could just dive in there and make a killing. another gohn slaughtering.

ahhh and it goes on. itd be pretty nice if a mutually good deal could come from all these talks.

I have no doubt there will be more mergers and acquisitions in the auto industry over the next few years. The market is over saturated with models and choices. The landscape looks a bit like it did 60 years ago when there were a couple dozen players in the U.S. market

I just don't think at this time or in this place. GM already has all the small car technology it needs - in Opel and Vauxhall. All GM has to do is stop dumbing these vehicles down for our market.

When I was in Brazil last year, I saw many, many cute small cars - some even from Chevrolet (Opel). We need these here.

i tell you this.  people in this country will not buy renaults.

if there were some technology sharing, in the interest of stonewalling toyota, i guess that would be ok, say for example, some good 4 and 6 cylinder motors or a transmission.  Things like that I feel can be shared as long as the vehicles are distinct.  I don't think platforms ought to be shared. 

maybe this is about sharing manufacturing techonologies and running plants together, rather than the final product being the shared piece.  It is in both Nissan and GM's interest to stonewall toyota.

198601[/snapback]

Don't confuse the Renault of today with that crappy Alliance they peddled 20-some-odd years ago.

I was very impressed in the materials, design, and execution of Renault's latest models at Frankfurt.

I think the new Clio is fabulous....and would be a great competitor/alternative to a Fit or Yaris.

Even the Megane, wierd styling and all, is pretty neat-looking in person.

Interior fit-and-finish and materials were entirely class-competitive, and class-leading in some ways.

Their advantgarde styling would potentially win a few fans over here.....

You oughtta check out the Citroen lineup. I love their cars!

Still, this smells. GM is just getting things turned around in 3 of seven divisions, they don't need to be drug down by another company. Look at Chrysler, they finally had to wise up and dump Mitsubishi.

It's a two edged sword. For what it's worth I think most

of you are aware that I regard Nissan to be the least

lame of the Japanese car manufacturers.

I'll take Nissan's 3.5L V6, the Renaultsport Megane hatch, and the engineering versatility of the FF-L and RWD platforms.

You, RenaultNissan SA, can have the last our 'venerable' 3.8L V6s, our excess capacity, re-employ the thousands of workers we had no business hiring in the first place, and our healthcare/pension obligations.

Deal?