GM exec: Hummer needs new models

Read the full article here.

"Hummer needs some more products. It needs two or three more products to give it sufficient market coverage," General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told reporters at the opening of a Hummer dealership in Paris.

Lutz said making a Hummer-branded pickup truck, which would have ample passenger seating, remained an "option."

hummers for all. that could be the catchy new tagline.

if they do go ahead with it they should concentrate mainly on ruggedness and off road capability. basically like wmj stated above. maybe cull the military derived platforms to some small degree. not sure who makes it but turbo diesels along with 6 speeds are part of armed forces equipment.

keep it small, to the point and make some more people happy.

Here's an idea to stretch their image without blemishing the off-road capability:

Hatchback with open wheels that is very good off-road, like a dune buggy. Don't make it look hatchback, make it look very butch. 4 passenger with the back seats folding flat for a decent cargo area. It might not be as much of a rock climber, but with the right setup, could still be awesome off-road, but also be small enough to give them another model with reasonable MPGs.

Doubt it'd ever happen. *shrug* Sounds cool to me, though. :)

*edit*

Posted Image

Something like this, slightly wider, a few feet longer in the back (with the wheels pushed back as well - gotta keep 'em in the corners), enclosed passenger compartment (perhaps with jeep wrangler style removable doors?), lots of comfort features, and hummer-ized styling.

Edited by PurdueGuy

1. H1 replacement.

2. Wrangler fighter.

3. Full sized pickup.

That was easy. Now get to work!

198914[/snapback]

I almost agree with you WMJ. #3 shouldn't just be a full-size version, both the H2 and H3 should have pickup versions available. I'm still waiting for the H3T to make it to production - a regular cab 4wd just like the concept would be my ideal truck!

I wouldn't call the H2 SUT a "truck". That "box", even with the midgate is pretty useless.

I think an full size truck would be a nice addition. Give it plenty of capability to blast the Ram Power Wagon, throw in the Duramax and give it the chiseled styling Hummer customers want, and it'll sell.

Oh yea thats it :unsure: The GM divisions are starving for product, the public has a negitive attitude toward gas gusslin Suv's in general and toward hummer big time, toyota and honda have positive image for many reasons but in this instance for being a bit green. Now BOB and crownin think we need more hummers

as usual BRILLIANT, ABSOLUTLY FRIGGIN BRILLIANT :stupid:

Too many models will make the brand lose its identity. Jeep is already going down that path in my opinion, so don't do it to Hummer. They were smart to lose the H1 and I think they should lose the H2 and have the H3 and maybe a Wrangler rival. The H2 is a P.O.S. if you ask me, the drive nowadays is for better fuel economy not worse.

Diesel H2

Extended-wheelbase H2.  3 seats.  Gotta have the new light-duty diesel. 

H3t (my fave).  Regular and Crew Cab.

Wrangler fighter.

No need for an H1 replacement in this day and age.

199467[/snapback]

Agreed, except I'm not sure that the extended H2 is needed. The H2 already can have half of a 3rd row, so maybe they can figure out a way to have a spare, full back seat, and not sacrifice any offroad capability with the NG H2.

A H3 and H3t would be nice with the 3.0L V6 diesel (or whatever the size of the V6 diesel is going to have) or the new V8 diesel, and the Wrangler fighter might do well by offering the V6 diesel as well, it'd give it something the Wrangler doesn't have.