"ACURA" "CSX"

regfootball

Yeah I know its been in Canada for sometime, known from 1996-2005 as the EL (redesigned along with Civic for 2001, of course). Still glad we don't get it in America Senior.

well, ok, it is a joke

luxury car Canada

Did you forgot about the thread you posted almost a year ago here?

And I've only ever seen one EL on the road ever...Americans just aren't that into paying 25,000 for a dolled-up Civic.

I've only seen one once, and that's probably only because I live in a border state. It was odd seeing a Civic with an Acura badge and slightly different tail lights (which looked better IMO), made me look twice until I saw the Canada plate.

Good job, Honda.

Posted Image

204053[/snapback]

How is this any different than what GM does with all of their models, sometimes across 3 or more nameplates? If Honda is dumb for doing this (which isn't even in the U.S.A. mind you, but in Canada), I don't think there's a word in our language to describe GM... or Ford... or Dodge/Chrysler. Go to the link I put up above, this argument has already happened before when Reg posted last time.

I see quite a few of these CSX's on the road, and although I think they are dumb, I can see why people buy them. The powerplant is derived from the RSX, it has a few other goodies that the Honda doesn't, and it has the Acura nameplate... something that holds some prestige in my area.

That being said, this car has made me wonder on a couple occasions if some journalists are being a little hypocritical. GM gets blasted for badge engineering their small cars, and Acura gets off almost scot-free.

That being said, GM's rebadged vehicles are pretty much identical, with little to no differentiation. I suppose if GM took its Delta architecture, gave it a new power plant, threw in a ton of options, beefed up the interior quality, and a gave it a fun to drive suspenion, and called it a Buick or something, then maybe there'd be less criticism.

How is this any different than what GM does with all of their models, sometimes across 3 or more nameplates? If Honda is dumb for doing this (which isn't even in the U.S.A. mind you, but in Canada), I don't think there's a word in our language to describe GM... or Ford... or Dodge/Chrysler. Go to the link I put up above, this argument has already happened before when Reg posted last time.

204055[/snapback]

Umm, this is like giving Cadillac a Cobalt with some different headlights. GM does not do this with many of their models, actually...

The T900s are the only thing that Cadillac shares with any other brand, except for the Lucerne and DTS, and both the Escalade and DTS share no sheetmetal at all, just the platform, with their counterparts.

Sure, Pontiac has a rebadged Cobalt, but Pontiac is not very much more upscale than Chevy, and the minivans are rebadges, but nothing else in GM's product lineup is a rebadge anymore.

Solstice and Sky share nothing but mechanicals, W-Bodies share nothing but mechanicals, Epsilons share nothing but mechanicals, no Caddy except the Escalade line shares anything with any other product except for the engine, no Hummer shares anything other than the engine... the only thing similar are the Chevy/GMC T900s and the Colorado/Canyon.

This is a rebadge no matter how you look at it. Ok, it got slightly different headlights. This makes it a luxury brand how?

You were saying?

I don't think anyone would have a problem with a small, Civic-based Acura sedan. Look at the RSX... no one would complain if there was a 4-door version. The problem is you pay royalty for some headlights.

Guest YellowJacket894

How is this any different than what GM does with all of their models, sometimes across 3 or more nameplates?

GM doesn't do that with "all of their models." There are really only a few examples of blantant badge-engineering from GM that I can think of right off the top of my head: the Cobalt/G5, Equinox/Torrent, and the CSVs (of which, two are going out the door -- the Terraza and the SV6). Other models, at the minimum, have different equipemt levels and sheetmetal. For example, most of the Epsilon cars -- 9-3, Malibu, G6, Aura -- all have different appearances, powertrain options, suspension tuning, etc. The sedan G6 is not on the same wheelbase as the Malibu sedan. The G6 doesn't offer a turbocharged-four like the 9-3 does. And the Aura is the only car to offer a six-cylinder engine standard. I shouldn't need to tell you that all three look entirely different.

Also, don't make the point that the Aura and Opel Vectra are the same car -- they're not. They both use the Epsilon platform, sure. But, they are two vastly different cars. The Aura was just designed by Opel, nothing more. There are very few common pars between the Opel and the Saturn.

If Honda is dumb for doing this (which isn't even in the U.S.A. mind you, but in Canada), I don't think there's a word in our language to describe GM... or Ford... or Dodge/Chrysler.

There isn't. Well, except maybe for Ford.

That being said, this car has made me wonder on a couple occasions if some journalists are being a little hypocritical. GM gets blasted for badge engineering their small cars, and Acura gets off almost scot-free.

Does GM get blasted in Canada for rebadging?

204055[/snapback]

:withstupid:

THAT IS MY WHOLE POINT TO POSTING THIS TOPIC

204090[/snapback]

A redundant waste of a topic. Thanks Reg. :rolleyes:

Anywho, this is the Canadian auto market for you, nothing else. GM and Ford do it too, as it's been pointed out. Dont bitch at a minor offender. Bitch at a major offender, bitch at GM or Ford. Woooweee... one Honda being rebadged as an Acura. Big freaking deal. That's one vehicle. You guys wonder why GM and Ford get blasted for it... Duh-duh-duh! They do more of it... Namely, Ford.

Now, what was the point of this thread? Oh wait... there wasn't one. Just repeated BS.

Nothing will ever se as bad as this...

Posted Image

204654[/snapback]

The good ol' SLX. An Isuzu Trooper in disguise. :AH-HA_wink:

LMAO, it would be interesting to see if CR graded this out better than the Isuzus it shared everything with.

204674[/snapback]

The Troopers were not bad SUV's at all, and the Acura was like a loaded up version of one. I think Acura even used the Isuzu engine, but I don't know for sure.

CR did complain a lot about how both the Isuzu and Acura rolled over, and gave them a "Not Acceptable" rating. No the Acura emblem didn't help with the stability.

Edited by siegen