Toronado Appreciation

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

You know, I found a little more respect for the last generation Toronado today. I was browsing the Heritage section of Oldsmobile's site today, and I looked through the 1980s photos. There was a photo of a basket handle shifter, a part that was sometimes seen on hi-po Chevelles and Camaros back in the late Sixties and Seventies. When I go to a classic car show, I always get a kick out of that particular interior piece. I thought it was initially part of a concept car's interior. Then I saw that a part of the side-out pop-up read "1986 Toronado."

Also, the last-generation Toronado dash had such an array of interesting features. But, I'll let the photos try to speak that point on their own.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Toronado. Alive with Instant Reflex Technology."

And of course one of my favorite cars, with standard preferences set aside, the Aurora, kept much of the last-gen Toronado concepts going until we had to part ways with Olds.

Edited by YellowJacket894

My aunt had 2 Toronados-an '86 as referenced above (except with leather) and a '91 with the VIC...I loved those cars so much.

I don't remember her ever complaining about electrical gremlins. She traded the '86 in for the '91 because she liked the looks better and she traded in the '91 for a '97 Seville STS because she needed something bigger...but I never heard anything bad about the cars.

In general I like this era Olds' interiors except for 2 features: the relative barren side of the dash in front of the passenger and the 'bottom-heavy' steering wheel design with the resulting 'hub' that sticks up. Makes me want to try and steer with the hub for some reason.

I've never driven or sat in a car with a 'throttle' shifter, but I agree they're neat. I believe Buick had a version in the late '60s, too ('68-70 Riv??).

That shifter was also available in the 60s/70s Skylarks/GSs/GSXs as well.

I am currently looking for all the parts to swap my 72 Skylark over to bucket seats with a floor shifter. The center console is made for that type shifter.

I love the way it looks in those cars too.

In general I like this era Olds' interiors except for 2 features: the relative barren side of the dash in front of the passenger and the 'bottom-heavy' steering wheel design with the resulting 'hub' that sticks up. Makes me want to try and steer with the hub for some reason.

I've never driven or sat in a car with a 'throttle' shifter, but I agree they're neat. I believe Buick had a version in the late '60s, too ('68-70 Riv??).

206302[/snapback]

Agreed. That Toro is bitchen. It takes true GM aficionados to extol its virtues. I did have the pleasure of driving one. After college, I am in South Florida (FLL) visiting a friend who took a job there. Had a Grand Am size car reserved and they were low on cars---"How would you like a Toronado?" ---I'm thinking "Is Eddie Murphy black?". It was great and the trestle shifter feels awesome. The steering wheel is oddly composed, no doubt, and the number of little buttons is annoying. As DN90 said, someone liked the looks of the 90-92 better. Agreed again. Of the FWD era, the early 90s were the best looking! I just don't remember if those had a trestle shifter. (It's referred to as a trestle shifter).

And that burgundy interior, "effin' A" --- God, I love it --- bring back the burgundies and the blues for the interiors --- General, what are you waiting for? I have burgundy cloth right now and it makes for a nicer driving environment than does tan or gray.

Edited by trinacriabob

This is touching too close to home for me. Precious pain. I have a strong affection for the first generation of GM FWD C/H, E & W bodies. The Riv/Toro and Eldorado being E bodies. FWD/V6 or not they were finally what GM needed to get in tune with the flood of import cars from Japan and Germany. Only these GMs were better. Far more stylish, reliable, powerful for the times and advanced. Introducing GM's new computerized EFI engines and the first generation of the 440T4(4T60) 4 sp FWD transaxle. These BOP C/H & E bodies introduced the "new" 1st generation BUICK SFI FWD 3.8 in '86, and then in '88 introduced a whole new BUICK the 3800 engine. These things were getting 4 cylinder gas economy with V6 torque and riding in style. Styling could be said to have a European influence but a close, open minded inspection shows a newly pure American styled car. They show creative styling lost with the square, boxy, so out of touch, so bass ackwards GM's of the 77-85 generation.

Anyhow

Rivieras and Toronados did have issues with the digital dashs & DIC's. Not 100% problems but "blackouts" were common. Chryslers 80's digitals were the same deal, some went down, some never did.

Still there is not one E body that I do not long to own.

You guys are so wrong about that steering wheel, that wheel is the perfect wheel.

Place left elbow on door rest.

Place open hand on the left "spoke" at 8:00

Lean a bit to the right toward your Honey

Place right elbow on the oh so soft console rest

Rest thy wittle fingies around that shifter

now your cruisin, pimpin in style

oh... so smooooth !

You guys know I like to dig out this photo of the 86 Riviera with the Razzi GFX kit and after market wheels. It might be FWD but I really dont think BMW or the Japs had a car in the mid 80's that could touch GM E bodies for styling. Split recessed headlights, chrome bezels, wraparound bumper, even where they placed the Riviera badge

Posted Image

You know, I found a little more respect for the last generation Toronado today. I was browsing the Heritage section of Oldsmobile's site today, and I looked through the 1980s photos. There was a photo of a basket handle shifter, a part that was sometimes seen on hi-po Chevelles and Camaros back in the late Sixties and Seventies. When I go to a classic car show, I always get a kick out of that particular interior piece. I thought it was initially part of a concept car's interior. Then I saw that a part of the side-out pop-up read "1986 Toronado."

Also, the last-generation Toronado dash had such an array of interesting features. But, I'll let the photos try to speak that point on their own.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Toronado. Alive with Instant Reflex Technology."

206272[/snapback]

Ahh, memories. I owned an '89 Toronado for a brief time in the summer of 2004; it was the car I bought from a local service station to get myself back on my feet after my '90 Cutlass Supreme was totalled. I paid $1200 for it and it had 89,000 miles on it. Damn near every option except the VIC and the telephone. No moonroof as well. Did have the FE3 sport suspension though. I roasted the transmission something fierce a few months later and sent her down the road after buying my '96 Riviera. Funny the interior you posted was burgundy velour; it's the EXACT same interior my car had, color and all. Burgundy outside, burgundy inside.

Posted Image

I loved that weird little car! Since having mine two years ago, I can't say I've seen more than three or four in all the time since. Wouldn't mind having another if the price was right, either.

At one point we had two Toronados in the garage. My dad had a blue '89 and my mom a gray '86. I'm kind of surprised I still remember both of them sitting next to each other so well because we got rid of the '86 in '92, so I wouldn't have been more than 4 years old when we still had both of them.