Recall: 30K Scion tCs for Side Airbag Problem

Variance

Recall: 30K Scion tCs for Side Airbag Problem

Posted Image

Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it was recalling about 30,000 Scion tC sports coupes over concerns that the side air bags could inadvertently deploy if the door is slammed forcefully.

The recall affects about 20 percent of the tCs produced during the 2005 and 2006 model years, Toyota said. The vehicle is only sold in the United States.

The automaker said seat-mounted side air bags and side curtain air bags could deploy if the door on that side of the vehicle is closed forcefully while the ignition is on or within 90 seconds of when the ignition is turned off.

Read "Toyota recalls Scion tC sports coupes" @ Yahoo

But... but.... but...... people shouldn't be closing their doors that hard..... This is actually a good thing! It gets people to close their doors more carefully.... which should benefit everyone! Thanks Toyota!!

208319[/snapback]

I close my doors fairly hard. Why? Why not? As long as they don't sound like tin foil (like a Corollas do) they should be more than able to handle a healthy shut.

You don't even need airbags for this to be potentially bad.

A guy I knew in high school was late one morning. When we asked him why he told us it took him a while to clean up all the glass, after he got in his Hyundai Pony and slammed the door. The driver's window shattered in his lap. He then had to drive it to school with no window, in February :lol: . That car was hilarious. He needed to repaint it, and decided it didn't need to be classy. Out came the silver and blue spray paint. Silver everywhere, two racing stripes of blue, and the wheels and any exposed under-body components (of which there were way too many) were also painted blue. Dare I say, that's about the coolest you can make one of those cars.

edit: Research seems to show that the Pony was not sold in the US. Lucky buggers. :lol: Here is a picture of the offending Hyundai for those of you who didn't know what car I was talking about above. picturewiki

Hey - at least it was RWD. I never knew that before.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

-it's annoying

-it's detrimental to the door speakers

208619[/snapback]

That shouldn't be any excuse at all...

"Annoying"?... There are more annoying things than giving the car's door a healthy shut.

Annoying is the idiot in his Skyline (right hand drive) ahead of me blabbing on his cellphone and nearly crashing into an H2 when changing lanes.

As for the speakers... if your car is built to proper standards it should not be a problem... at all really...

But... but.... but...... people shouldn't be closing their doors that hard..... This is actually a good thing! It gets people to close their doors more carefully.... which should benefit everyone! Thanks Toyota!!

- Wow, siegen was pretty damn close.

Owning a car with lighter frameless doors, I appreciate those who close gently.

208687[/snapback]

Same here! My doors are heavy, so it's not bad when the windows are up, but they definitely need a gentle touch with the windows down.