Escalade EXT-A three-ton, $54,000 mullet

Nodnarb

A three-ton, $54,000 mullet.

BY DAVE VANDERWERP, PHOTOGRAPHY BY JEFFREY G. RUSSELL

November 2006

Who would have predicted that this gratuitous union of a Chevy Avalanche with a Cadillac Escalade would have survived long enough to see a redesign?

Certainly not us. When we first drove Cadillac’s pickup truck, we thought it made about as much sense as “an office desk that converts into a Hovercraft” or “mint-flavored Drano.”

That was no skin off Cadillac’s nose, which found more than 40,000 takers from 2002 through 2005, apparently a sufficient number to justify a makeover similar to that of the Escalade SUV for 2007. This includes the 6.2-liter V-8 and six-speed automatic, flashier sheetmetal, an all-new interior, and a stiffer structure.

When we look at the EXT, we think “Cadillac’s mullet.” Why? Well, the common description of the short-on-top, long-everywhere-else hairstyle is “business in front, party in back.” That fits the EXT perfectly, only in reverse. This truck’s party of chrome is up front, and the cargo-hauling pickup bed, the business end, is out back.

Of course, if you are seriously looking for utility, check out a $33,180 Chevy Avalanche that can outtow the EXT by 400 pounds. But Cadillac buyers probably aren’t, since these behemoth EXTs are usually seen in metropolitan areas hogging valuable parking spaces.

The new $54,430 EXT has 403 horsepower (58 more), ­accelerates quicker (0-to-60 mph in 7.1 seconds versus 7.9), feels much more composed over the road, and has far superior brake and steering feel. Fact is, it’s better in almost every way. But compared with the already-hard-to-justify Escalade SUV, the EXT provides less passenger space, worse maneuverability, and a heftier curb weight (so heavy, in fact, that it is no longer required to bear EPA fuel-economy ratings). So, despite the improved dynamics, we think it remains one of the most ridiculous vehicles on the market.

Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 5-door pickup

Price as tested: $61,740 (base price: $54,430)

Engine type: pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 376 cu in, 6162cc

Power (SAE net): 403 bhp @ 5700 rpm

Torque (SAE net): 417 lb-ft @ 4300 rpm

Transmission: 6-speed automatic with manumatic shifting

Wheelbase: 130.0 in

Length/width/height: 222.0/79.1/74.5 in

Curb weight: 6013 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 7.1 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 19.7 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.3 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 15.6 sec @ 91 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 107 mph

Braking, 70–0 mph: 204 ft

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.73 g

EPA fuel economy, city driving (C/D est): 13 mpg

C/D-observed fuel economy: 12 mpg

What's wrong with this article? Some of you guys expect something extraordinary all the time. The mullet comparison is actually funny if you read the article, it was not in reference to the type of people that buy this car. They've also probably written this about three months ago, when they were having a more socially conscious moment. They could acknowledge how ridiculous the 16 mpg 400 hp luxury sedans are, but they probably won't since they actually like those kinds of cars.

But compared with the already-hard-to-justify Escalade SUV....

Hard to justify? What?!?! Are they on crack this week? They must be because now they've finally stepped completely out of reality and went into GM bashing land. They mock an SUV that was a response to the Lincoln Navigator and turned out to be the sales leader in a segment that is still growing and adding new models: Infiniti, Mercedes, Audi all seem to think the segment is valuable enough to enter.

They want Justification for the Escalade? Because everyone is building a full-size Luxury SUV. The reason for that? Because there is a demand for it. Simple economics. Are they completely dense? Are they missing a few million brain cells from breathing in the exhaust of a Camry? That must be the only explanation for this entire rant.

Hard to justify?  What?!?!  Are they on crack this week? They must be because now they've finally stepped completely out of reality and went into GM bashing land.  They mock an SUV that was a response to the Lincoln Navigator and turned out to be the sales leader in a segment that is still growing and adding new models:  Infiniti, Mercedes, Audi all seem to think the segment is valuable enough to enter. 

They want Justification for the Escalade?  Because everyone is building a full-size Luxury SUV.  The reason for that?  Because there is a demand for it.  Simple economics.  Are they completely dense?  Are they missing a few million brain cells from breathing in the exhaust of a Camry?  That must be the only explanation for this entire rant.

211343[/snapback]

Oh, by the way, Sports Car Illustra... I mean, Car & Driver, will always be biased toward fun-to-drive, enthusiast-type cars. Perhaps Truck Trends or something caters to you better.

Hey, I'm not an owner of a pick-up/SUV nor do I want to, but this article was completely unfair whether or not they cater more towards the auto enthusiast crowd. I'm just pissed that they're so open about it in a time that most of the news media sources are defending their objectivity. Now, is CarandDriver a real news magazine? Hell no, but they should at least review the truck based on merrits and not concept...especially when all the automakers are building the same cars because that's what people want.

Edited by Cadillacfan

The reason they see these cars as such a waste is not because of thier existance, but how they are used. Being that C&D is based in LA, most big SUVs are usually carrying one person, especially in Hollywood they are merely image vehicles. They are meant to represent what the design characterizes, I am big, I am tough, and I don't care what you think. That's the biggest reason they are so successful in LA, because they are supposed to be intimidating.

So, in that context, and remembering C&D is based in LA, where parking is limited, streets are congested with these huge trucks, and we all like our small cars, either for efficiency or pure driveability.....you can begin to see why C&D thinks these are such a waste. I'm sure GM wouldn't be the only company they would want to include, but since GM is the most successful and most plentiful in the particular arena they are talking about [Escalades, Tahoes, H2s being the most popular of these big trucks].

The reason they see these cars as such a waste is not because of thier existance, but how they are used. Being that C&D is based in LA, most big SUVs are usually carrying one person, especially in Hollywood they are merely image vehicles. They are meant to represent what the design characterizes, I am big, I am tough, and I don't care what you think. That's the biggest reason they are so successful in LA, because they are supposed to be intimidating.

So, in that context, and remembering C&D is based in LA, where parking is limited, streets are congested with these huge trucks, and we all like our small cars, either for efficiency or pure driveability.....you can begin to see why C&D thinks these are such a waste. I'm sure GM wouldn't be the only company they would want to include, but since GM is the most successful and most plentiful in the particular arena they are talking about [Escalades, Tahoes, H2s being the most popular of these big trucks].

211897[/snapback]

C&D is based in Ann Arbor, MICHIGAN.

C&D is based in Ann Arbor, MICHIGAN,

211975[/snapback]

guess that flushes that theory down the terlit... :mellow: the reasoning really is inconsequential anyway. you want a 54k pickup, this is America...do what you want its your money. thats why were here :smilewide:

Print magazine circulations are dwindling; watch the desperation level rise inversely.

beyond true. and the best part about the internet, no one holds anyone accountable and too many people rely on it as fact or gospel.

theres too many illinformed people roaming around there that claim it must be true because its on the "internet" somewhere. :glare: and :angry2:

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

the guy is probably pissed because he can't buy one. i miss my ext. i'll probably dish off the hummer to my wife and get another ext. "hogging valuable parking spaces".... it's a pretty darn good use of a space, if you ask me.

I've yet to read that a land rover or G-wagon is 'wasting a valuable parking space'. Wonder why that is... oh, right; because

they actually like those kinds

212101[/snapback]

Yes, they prefer these kinds...

Posted Image

C&D's "Best Luxury SUV" 3 years in a row.

I do agree that the EXT is a bit garish, but it's much better looking (and otherwise) than the previous generation.

All previous Escalades made me cringe. Ugh.

I actually like the new, short (regular) version.

• 3 weeks later...

What's wrong with this article? Some of you guys expect something extraordinary all the time. The mullet comparison is actually funny if you read the article, it was not in reference to the type of people that buy this car. They've also probably written this about three months ago, when they were having a more socially conscious moment. They could acknowledge how ridiculous the 16 mpg 400 hp luxury sedans are, but they probably won't since they actually like those kinds of cars.

211326[/snapback]

The article was pure bull$h!. Good thing most people can see right through their bias.

My question is; why does GM even give C&D cars anymore. It's BLATANTLY obvious that all they do is take shots at GM's throat.

Oh, and NTW, C&D LOVED the original Escalade and Navigator when they first came out, but now they're taking the greenbitch approach. Maybe the editors ARE E.L.F.

The Escalade is possibly the MOST justified vehicle in Cadillacs and GMs line up. It LED the Cadillac revivial and still stands strong for the DNA of the division, not to mention it is HELLA profittable for GM. C&D just wants to see them fail, so f*ck them. Here's to hoping they burn in hell someday.

---Signed: TheFOG

The article was pure bull$h!. Good thing most people can see right through their bias.

My question is; why does GM even give C&D cars anymore. It's BLATANTLY obvious that all they do is take shots at GM's throat.

Oh, and NTW, C&D LOVED the original Escalade and Navigator when they first came out, but now they're taking the greenbitch approach. Maybe the editors ARE E.L.F.

The Escalade is possibly the MOST justified vehicle in Cadillacs and GMs line up. It LED the Cadillac revivial and still stands strong for the DNA of the division, not to mention it is HELLA profittable for GM. C&D just wants to see them fail, so f*ck them. Here's to hoping they burn in hell someday.

---Signed: TheFOG

221288[/snapback]

EXT

• 4 weeks later...

Flybrian had it right immediately: C&D had a slow day. It really makes no sense to talk about the EXT in this article in the way it was done when GM sells the vehicle reasonably well and makes big money from it. What part of "make profits" doesn't C&D get? Apparently they get it when THEY need to make a profit by selling a copy of a magazine with no useful information in it "just to say they have a product in the segment." Seems humorously similar to what they accuse GM of doing. Duh.