GM introduces vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) system

Daily Tech Story

Not be outdone by DaimlerChrysler, GM shows off its own communications system

Posted Image

It looks as though DaimlerChrysler isn't the only automotive company looking at car-to-car communications systems. General Motors has announced its new vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) system which is currently being tested on Cadillac, Chevrolet, Opel and Saab models in Germany.

Like DaimlerChrysler's system, V2V uses Wireless LAN (WLAN) technology, GPS and a vehicle’s numerous computer controlled active safety systems to relay data back and forth between vehicles. The system is capable of relaying such data as Emergency Brake Warning, Blind Spot/Lane Change notification (with accompanying blinking LEDs in the side view mirror and vibrating driver's seat), Forward Collision Warning and Emergency Vehicle Warning (with location and direction of travel for the emergency vehicle).

"Driving is a very complex task. Knowing where the other guy is and where he’s headed can be as critical as being in control of your own vehicle," said GM's Hans-Georg Frischkorn. "With V2V technology, we intensify the driver’s awareness of his environment to improve road safety, without any distraction to him and certainly without reducing his level of control. This sixth sense lets drivers know what’s going on around them to help avoid accidents and improve traffic flow."

Whereas DaimlerChrysler's system will be employed in high-end Mercedes vehicles at first, GM is using off the shelf components to drive down costs and implement the system on as many vehicles as possible.

not really interested. I would think a better use of such technology would be to have road signs shown on an in-car screen - speed limit, construction signs, highway directional signs, mile markers, do not pass, etc, etc. I can use my mirrors to see that someone is beside me, and don't need a vibrating seat to tell me.

not really interested.  I would think a better use of such technology would be to have road signs shown on an in-car screen - speed limit, construction signs, highway directional signs, mile markers, do not pass, etc, etc.  I can use my mirrors to see that someone is beside me, and don't need a vibrating seat to tell me.

227216[/snapback]

It's called a blindspot because they're not visible in your mirrors. How many city governments are going to pay for electronic road signs (useful as they may be)?

Basically, if it cuts down on accidents, good.

The long-term effect of a system like this will be that every new car will be built with this system in place, and it will be taken for granted. Then an older car pulls up on the blind spot as you're about to make a lane change, and you get no warning.

It only vibrates if you signal a lane change.

227234[/snapback]

And I wonder if there is any correlation between people who don't signal and people who don't check their blind spot?

Still, it seems like a step in the right direction. It could never be relied on, but it might work at the right time.

It's called a blindspot because they're not visible in your mirrors. How many city governments are going to pay for electronic road signs (useful as they may be)?

227239[/snapback]

Actually, I don't think you need to change the signs. If they are using GPS, they might just be able to enter their coordinates. Also, as the phone and cell networks are replaced with WLAN, this will become very feasible.

This is a really great idea. My dad had actually thought of this long ago. It would be a great system and would really cut down on accidents.

In fact, today as I was coming home from school, an ambulance was going through an intersection and this other car was coming from the opposite direction was clearly not going to completely stop. I thought they were going to have a head on collision, but thankfully the other driver slowed down in time. This technology would help prevent things like that from happening.

On a side note, what is it with people always trying to beat out the ambulances or other emergency vehicles?

Edited by corvette_dude729

227239[/snapback]

A long-term cost analysis would be interesting - I'm sure road signs aren't cheap, and while some may stay up for 20 years or something (not sure, guessing), others get changed as speed limits change, etc, or as drunk drivers take them out. lol Slowly implement the in-car signage over, say, 15 years (5 years of the in-car display being an option, then move it to a standard feature, then a required feature), let cities slowly invest in the transmitting technology (one transmitting station could probably cover many, many square miles). Standalone units would need to be available for classic cars, of course.

I'm just thinking of times when I've suddenly wondered if I was speeding or not, and couldn't spot a speed limit sign for the life of me. Of course, I expect once the car is able to know the speed limit for itself, the gov't would probably put speed regulators in cars accordingly. <_<

If you could relay commands over this system, cops lives would be made easier, and cut down on car chases.  On the downside, any hacker should be able to get access and could cause havoc.

227213[/snapback]

This is scary though. Imagine that the WLAN communication is not secure, anyone can intercept it and send bogus commands.

I'm for the detecting collision and road hazard part, but not for the part where it actually alters the way the car drives.

I sincerely doubt that any mechanism would be put into place that would actually control the movements of the vehicle remotely. At least not for many decades.

Though PurdueGuy's idea of in car road sign display is pretty nifty and could be useful. Although, the only signs that necessarily need to be broadcasted directly into the car are Speed Limit, Construction Zones, current street/direction (i.e. I95 North), and Next Exit. Everything else would proably be clutter.

This is a really great idea.  My dad had actually thought of this long ago.  It would be a great system and would really cut down on accidents.

In fact, today as I was coming home from school, an ambulance was going through an intersection and this other car was coming from the opposite direction was clearly not going to completely stop.  I thought they were going to have a head on collision, but thankfully the other driver slowed down in time.  This technology would help prevent things like that from happening.

On a side note, what is it with people always trying to beat out the ambulances or other emergency vehicles?

227569[/snapback]

Local fire/ambulance/police deparments had a system installed in their vehicles and on traffic lights that allows them to change all directions to red except the direction the emergency vehicle is heading. I've seen it in action and it works well.

This idea I'm cool to. I just want to drive and I don't need a vibrating seat to let me know I'm drifting into another lane.

… I'm just thinking of times when I've suddenly wondered if I was speeding or not, and couldn't spot a speed limit sign for the life of me.  Of course, I expect once the car is able to know the speed limit for itself, the gov't would probably put speed regulators in cars accordingly.  <_<

227614[/snapback]

I'm sure that almost everyone has been in the same situation, especially after turning into another street/road. Ideally your nav system could display the speed limit for the area you are in, but of course it would not always be up-to-date. Electronic road signs would require a continuous cell transmission giving not only speed limit, but also direction and location in a standardized format that can be read by your car. Easier to broadcast it over digital radio, but the nav system would have to download an enormous amount of information, if only occasionally.

I think many of you are overestimating V2V. No commands are being transmitted, only relative locations and velocities. All control decisions are made internally by the vehicles and their drivers. The most a hacker could do is broadcast "I am located in all lanes and am not moving". Toyota has proposed a more interactive system.

I'm sure that almost everyone has been in the same situation, especially after turning into another street/road. Ideally your nav system could display the speed limit for the area you are in, but of course it would not always be up-to-date. Electronic road signs would require a continuous cell transmission giving not only speed limit, but also direction and location in a standardized format that can be read by your car. Easier to broadcast it over digital radio, but the nav system would have to download an enormous amount of information, if only occasionally.

I think many of you are overestimating V2V. No commands are being transmitted, only relative locations and velocities. All control decisions are made internally by the vehicles and their drivers. The most a hacker could do is broadcast "I am located in all lanes and am not moving". Toyota has proposed a more interactive system.

227795[/snapback]

Most law enforcement wont even budge from their hiding spots unless youre doing a good 10-15mph over the limit. Some bust balls for less but ideally you should always be paying attention or have a good radar detector. I dont believe in them but sometimes know when to slow because of others on the road.

No amount of technology is going to excuse someone for being reckless or driving like an idiot...as far as this tech goes its a little scary.

A warning system like this in theory would be good. Just think of all the people on the roads that just do not look or leave themselves an out. Unfortunately if it is a beep most people will probably just think theyre getting another call...

There are ddefintely dempgraphics this could help but how would the warning seriously effect their actions? Conceivably it could cause a startle reflex and do as much harm...guess well see what the jury says.

Bah, just another nanny for people that shouldn't be out in automobiles. Like most of America for instance.

Most law enforcement wont even budge from their hiding spots unless youre doing a good 10-15mph over the limit.  Some bust balls for less but ideally you should always be paying attention or have a good radar detector.  I dont believe in them but sometimes know when to slow because of others on the road.

No amount of technology is going to excuse someone for being reckless or driving like an idiot...as far as this tech goes its a little scary.

A warning system like this in theory would be good.  Just think of all the people on the roads that just do not look or leave themselves an out.  Unfortunately if it is a beep most people will probably just think theyre getting another call...

There are ddefintely dempgraphics this could help but how would the warning seriously effect their actions?  Conceivably it could cause a startle reflex and do as much harm...guess well see what the jury says.

227827[/snapback]

A visual warning, like a flashing speedometer, could do wonders if your speed creeps more than 10 mph above the posted speed limit. Sometimes I get so hellbent on passing someone on the highway that I look down and suddenly notice I'm doing 80 in a 65.

interesting idea... but in the end lots of distrations for good drivers, and more reasons bad drivers could be out.

IR cameras could do alot more than this system, safer.... the emergency vehicle notification sounds the best out of it though.

just more outside influences to drive carefree and not take driving seriously.