Diesel Replacing Hybrid in Next Accord

Variance

Diesel Replacing Hybrid in Next Accord

Honda president Takeo Fukui has been quoted in the Japanese press as saying that a next generation V-6 diesel will be commercialized by Honda, and is set to slot into the Ridgeline along with other unspecified models.

First, though, Honda will kick off with its 2.2-2.4-litre class, four-cylinder “super clean” turbodiesel that’ll run in the next Stateside Accord, appearing around 2009. This is expected be a breakthrough engine, with emissions as clean as clean as a modern gasoline powerplant, able to meet even the toughest regulations in the world (i.e. the EPA’s Tier II Bin 5 regulations).

Winding Road

Part of this cleanliness I'm guessing came from the change in diesel fuels this year.

The new catalytic converter probably plays the biggest role in making this clean diesel possible.

This catalytic converter features the world's first innovative system using the reductive reaction of ammonia generated within the catalytic converter to "detoxify" nitrogen oxide (NOx) by turning it into harmless nitrogen (N2).

Link

hopefully this will be nice... take some load off the gasoline to lower prices!!! HAHAHAHA

as long as you can burn BIODiesel without voiding the warranty :sign0200:

actually, any "Renewable Diesel"... we'll need alot more of it by 2010 because of GM, Ford, Honda, and anyone else that comes to the party!

Good stuff.

In regards to cleanliness, what cars on the road today are at near-zero emissions? It'd be good to have a laundry list for the purposes of this thread.

MY2006 PZEV cars:

BMW 325i

Ford Escape Hybrid

Ford Fusion (I4)

Honda Accord Hybrid

Honda Civic Hybrid

Hyundai Elantra

Kia Spectra

Mazda 3

Mazda 6 (I4)

Mercedes-Benz E350

Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Mercury Milan (I4)

Nissan Altima 2.5

Subaru Legacy 2.5i

Subaru Outback 2.5i

Toyota Camry (I4)

Toyota Prius

VW Rabbit

VW Jetta 2.5

VW Beetle 2.5

Volvo V70 2.4

Doubt it. Honda's IMA is comparatively mild. A simple BAS-like system with the diesel would still do wonders for idling in traffic.

I see. A any rate this is still something Honda can make a great niche with. While diesels are common in Europe they've been slow to catch on stateside. Honda may yet pierce teh market and get some real popularity with this model. It's quite a bold move...I guess it's a slogan they should be flying instead of Ford :P