Preview: 2008 Infiniti G Coupe

Preview: 2008 Infiniti G Coupe

Posted Image

This sketch, released by Infiniti on January 10th, depicts what the ’08 G35 Coupe will look like (above left illustration). Compared with the previously released G35 Concept (above right photograph), the most striking aspect is the front fascia. The nose has been rounded and softened, compared with the almost angular face of the Concept G35. Whether the result of production or safety requirements (or perhaps aero development), this styling iteration lessens the initial visual impact of the car. To combat this, the grille becomes a more prominent feature, using the same Japanese katana (sword) chrome slats that were employed so effectively in the G35 sedan. Looking just beneath this, the twin lower air intakes on the concept car have morphed into a more conventional rectangular radiator opening flanked by two other intakes. These intakes appear ideally placed (and large enough) to feed cool air directly to the VQ35HR (if that is indeed the engine) for maximum effect.

The catamaran styling of the hood and front fenders separate the Infiniti from its Nissan corporate brethren. The hood features curves and sharp creases which blend smoothly into a sweeping roofline. The L-shaped headlights appear to contain dual High Intensity Discharge (HID) arrays and side reflector strip. The sides are equally fascinating, with upper and lower accent lines which emphasize the sensuous curves and sweep of the bulged fender flares. The upper line sweeps slightly downward and across the conventional door handle of the car, making the wedge styling more apparent. Rocker panels are equally fascinating, with a sweep to emphasize the ‘coke-bottle’ styling from the powerful fender flares. The greenhouse of both the sketch and the concept G35C promise a sweeping, airy view from the cockpit, but it remains to be seen whether the B-pillar has been eliminated to make way for a frameless door. As expected, the twin camera “mirrors” of the concept car have been replaced with more conventional side mounted mirrors. Likewise, the 20” wheels on the concept car look to be replaced with more conventional 18 or 19” wheels to fill the wheel wells. Current G35 drivers will note the styling of the ten-spoke wheel in the sketch is a development of the unique Infiniti wheel theme.

In summary, this 3/4 sketch of the ’08 G35 Coupe promises a dynamic, stunning experience. And this before the engine is even fired! Unique styling features are used to separate this Infiniti model from the upcoming Z car and indeed, from anything else in the world. Nissan Sport looks forward to viewing and driving the newest version of this high-end sport coupe and giving you the inside scoop!

--David Muramoto, Senior Editor

Nissan Sport Magazine

The hood creases are soooo mid-90s Buick. You can see them on the Riv, Park Ave, and preceeding XP2000 concept.

Not a bad thing... it's got some 1995-99 riviera in it for sure! except this is RWD. :)

I sure hope they used that KATANA to cut open the rear window and eliminate

the B-pillar to make a true hardtop... that would be enough to make me an

Infiniti fan for life, and probably buy one (used) someday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted Image

T1GHT WH!P$ car club is in full effect!

Edited by Sixty8panther

• 4 weeks later...

You guys wonder why my favorite brands are Buick and Infiniti...

Infiniti does not actually copy Buick styling, but has tastefully interpreted and used several interior and exterior styling traits that have shown up on Buicks over the years. The current Q45 with a waterfall grille would make a perfect Buick flagship:

Posted Image

Even now... If the spy pic of the new Buick Statesman/Lucerne from downunder is any indication... I'm going to get my wish of a Buick Q45 equivalent:

Posted Image

They're not even close to being identical. They are different interpretations of a similar vision. You can tell they would appeal to the same type of buyer.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new G35...I like the current one..haven't driven one, but have ridden them a couple times..a couple weeks ago, a coworker bought a dark blue '06, pretty sweet, a big step up from his old Cavalier..(though the Cav was probably better in snow).

Edited by moltar

• 1 month later...

I definately see both some tiburon in the side & some Riviera in the hood. But it's interesting that nissan is going 'backwards' in going with a more '90s rounded shape, when sharper edges are coming into fashion now. The one thing that needs an immediate fix is the super-elongated headlights stretching over the front wheels. Blorfy. The rest, overall, is nice, tho I think I'd pick the current one; less derivative.

All-New Infiniti G37 Coupe Debuts At New York Auto Show, Sets New Standards For Style, Performance and Luxury

Highlights Include New 330 Horsepower* V6, Seductive Styling and Luxury Appointments

The all-new 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe, which makes its world debut at the 2007 New York International Auto Show, combines the exhilarating performance, stunning styling and modern, sporty interior of the original Infiniti G Coupe and accelerates each to new levels. Among the key enhancements to the new second-generation G Coupe are a larger, more powerful 3.7-liter V6 engine, available advanced 4-Wheel Active Steer system, a dramatic new exterior design and a refined interior with intuitive, integrated technology. The G37 Coupe joins the recently introduced, all-new 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan in Infiniti showrooms nationwide in August. …

Posted Image Go to full release and photos at AutoReport