Equinox...

balthazar

Ironically to my prior conviction, in considering a replacement for my wife's '03 GP, I am.... shopping with a tape measure.

We have a tight-ish 90-degree turn into the 1-car-wide garage door opening, and with the GP at least- it is on the tight side. GP width is 72" and the mirrors do not fold.

We would consider either another mid-size sedan or a crossover/small SUV. Space, economy & reliability are primary concerns.

I don't pay enormous attention to modern vehicle specs- I had thought the Vue & Equinox were on the same platform- I see now that they're not. Vue is quite petite; must be Equinox & Torrent are siblings, right?

GP is: wheelbase: 110", overall 198", width 72". Equinox has very comparable specs here:

wheelbase: 112", overall 188", width 71". Vue is much smaller: 106"/ 181"/ 72".

What are the potential/actual pros & cons on the 'nox?

Ironically to my prior conviction, in considering a replacement for my wife's '03 GP, I am.... shopping with a tape measure.

We have a tight-ish 90-degree turn into the 1-car-wide garage door opening, and with the GP at least- it is on the tight side. GP width is 72" and the mirrors do not fold.

We would consider either another mid-size sedan or a crossover/small SUV. Space, economy & reliability are primary concerns.

I don't pay enormous attention to modern vehicle specs- I had thought the Vue & Equinox were on the same platform- I see now that they're not. Vue is quite petite; must be Equinox & Torrent are siblings, right?

GP is: wheelbase: 110", overall 198", width 72". Equinox has very comparable specs here:

wheelbase: 112", overall 188", width 71". Vue is much smaller: 106"/ 181"/ 72".

What are the potential/actual pros & cons on the 'nox?

I like the the Equinox also...the only thing I don't like about it is how the electronic power steering feels...to me, It felt awkward and disconnected from the road...I like hyd. power steering.

Maybe since I drove one last year they have recalibrated the system....either way drive it first, how the steering feels seems like a petty thing but it matters big time to me.

I like the the Equinox also...the only thing I don't like about it is how the electronic power steering feels...to me, It felt awkward and disconnected from the road...I like hyd. power steering.

Maybe since I drove one last year they have recalibrated the system....either way drive it first, how the steering feels seems like a petty thing but it matters big time to me.

The Equinox Sport has hydraulic power steering.

I wouldn't get the regular Equinox (made-in-China 185 hp 3.4, cheap touches like Aveo seats, etc.), but the Sport version (263 hp 3.6 + 6-speed auto) sounds very compelling.

The Sport, however, won't arrive until third quarter 2007, about the same time the new VUE (US Antara) arrives.

If I were in the market for a midsized two-row crossover now, I'd look at the Ford Edge or Mazda CX-7. My uncle is leasing a CX-7 for $249/mo, 24 mo, $0 down, 10.5K mi/yr... really an amazing deal for an all-new Ford.

Edited by empowah

One thing I must say is don't judge the Equinox's maneuverability based on the W-body platform just because they're similar sizes. My '85 Lincoln Continental could get into places my smaller 1994 Cutlass Supreme never could.

I'd say, take one home for a garage test fit. Don't let the people here talk you into the 3.6 unless you really want one. The 3.4 is quite adequate for daily wife duty and more fuel efficient at that. I test drove a friend's fairly base Equinox and I was fairly impressed with it for what it was.... and my daily driver is usually a CTS with the 3.6.

The cheapo interior and electric steering turn me off from the vehicle (and I never cared for the nose). I'd suggest waiting for the new Vue, which will no doubt have a superior interior and powertrain. Of course you could consider an CX-7 or Edge if time is an issue...they're very nice CUVs.

I have a 05 Equinox LT. Not one issue with it. However I am looking at replacing it within a year, with a Pontiac Torrent GXP, with GM's 3.6-liter V6, producing 263 HP and sending power to all-four-wheels via a Hyrda-Matic six-speed automatic tranny, with sport shift.

The 05 Equinox LT will go to my 15 year old next year. 5 star crash rating will let me sleep a little easier at night too. Oh and pray for me when it's time for me to sign for that license next year.

Edge is wide: 6 inches wider with mirrors folded (they had better be power folders!).

I would think the Vue is too small for us.

No mazdas- terrible owner retention speaks volumes for the brand and the cx-7 is too new.

Does the 3.4 have any reliability issues or problem areas?

The Chinese made 3.4 that is in my Equinox has been flawless! No issues!

Balthazar, my vote would go towards the TORRENT over the Equinox. I prefer it's truckier design and the little upscale touches over the Equinox ('Nox owners, please don't be offended!). We seriously considered a Torrent AWD V6 as a replacement for the '04 Malibu, but the wife liked the VUE better (she liked it's smaller size and dash design over the Torrent) and I liked the AURA better than the current VUE. I will say that there is a ton of room in the second row of the Torrent & Equinox. We had no problem with the way the V6 performed or the ride & handling on our mixed local road/highway test drive last summer.

Balthazar, my vote would go towards the TORRENT over the Equinox. I prefer it's truckier design and the little upscale touches over the Equinox ('Nox owners, please don't be offended!). We seriously considered a Torrent AWD V6 as a replacement for the '04 Malibu, but the wife liked the VUE better (she liked it's smaller size and dash design over the Torrent) and I liked the AURA better than the current VUE. I will say that there is a ton of room in the second row of the Torrent & Equinox. We had no problem with the way the V6 performed or the ride & handling on our mixed local road/highway test drive last summer.

Agreed. The Torrent has some nice interior color combinations and better trim, overall.

Dodgefan and others need to get themselves to a Chevy dealer and look at the '07 Equinox - completely different from the '06. The media bitching killed the electric steering. Gone. The interior has been greatly upgraded. Stabilitrak is standard. Rear discs are standard. Alloy rims are standard. GM is slowly trying to hide the trashy fabric that has haunted the Equinox/Malibu/Coblat since '04. The new fabric is much better; leather is best. Lots of new upgrades available, like heated cloth seats.

The 3.4 is more than adequate. Careful where you gamble with your money. Bush is f$#king up so much in Iraq that $4 gas is going to be the norm, so go with the smaller engine as a hedge bet. The Torrent/Equinox argument is purely personal. I think the roof rack and other touches on the Pontiac are a little over done, but that is just me. Make sure you compare apples to apples. Don't look at a $26k (Canadian, don't know American prices) Equinox and then compare it to a $30k Torrent.

The Equinox Sport has hydraulic power steering.

I wouldn't get the regular Equinox (made-in-China 185 hp 3.4, cheap touches like Aveo seats, etc.), but the Sport version (263 hp 3.6 + 6-speed auto) sounds very compelling.

The Sport, however, won't arrive until third quarter 2007, about the same time the new VUE (US Antara) arrives.

If I were in the market for a midsized two-row crossover now, I'd look at the Ford Edge or Mazda CX-7. My uncle is leasing a CX-7 for $249/mo, 24 mo, $0 down, 10.5K mi/yr... really an amazing deal for an all-new Ford.

Sorry What I meant was it had a quick return to center or slightly awkward feeling to the steering, odd for me, anyway it felt electronic I guess.

Maybe it was an early production or something and they have since tweeked.

I also felt it in the Torrent though...

CARBIZ is right, the choice is going to come down to personal taste. I recommended the Torrent (my choice) over the Equinox because of the "truckier" design and the little upscale touches (I guess that means the available Ebony interior and the standard red lighting, if the interior designs are the same in both <I didn't bother with looking at the Equinox at the Philly Auto Show>) are what make me like the Torrent over the Equinox. But their basically rebadges, with some slight differences. Again, what you prefer will ultimately lead you to the one you like best. Good luck - you've got a lot of input here so far.

Checked out the Edge yesterday- I really like the exterior design & proportion, interior is roomy (even behind the 2nd row) and it's comfortable... but it's too wide. No power folding mirrors; not even on the Aviator!

Garage opening is about 92", so 87" means the Edge is out. Escape I didn't care for at all.

Equniox is 71"- excellent. I'll check the 'nox & the Vue (72") & Outlook (78") this week. Pretty sure the Outlook is too large, tho.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

The electric power steerign may actually make the situation Balthy laid out regarding the tight turn a little easeier. When I test drove the Malibu Maxx, I found it easy to make low-speed maneuvers through the tight dealer lot. It did seem a little strange on regular roads, but I got used to it over the course of the test drive and didn't even notice it when I test drove a Malibu sedan a couple of weeks later.

I just happened to pull an 05 equinox as my company car this month....here's my take in the first 100 miles:

Pluses: Engine has nice power and is surpriosingly muted in this application. Interior has a ton of passenger space and the sliding rear seating is a great idea done well...seems to be sipping gas at a reasonable rate.

Minuses: The steering is video game detached, almost disconcertingly so, plastics are plentiful and not up to current GM standards (although I believe they've gotten better in the 07's), the drivers seat is mediocre-has a lumbar adjustment & backrest adjustment that's manual, with a power 4 way for the base.

Final Edict: Personally, if they've fixed the electric steering somewhat and the seating is comfortable for your body, I think this might be a decent ride you wouldn't regret buying. Based on current sales figures, you can probably get a good deal as well.

Edited by enzl

I wonder what the consumer reaction was to power steering when it was introduced 50 or so years ago. I have driven Malibus and Equinoxes on and off for the past couple years, and I must say I prefer the electric steering. I guess it largely depends on what you get used to. Now, when I come out of a Malibu and into, say, an Impala I find the steering stiff.

In any event, the '07 Equinox ditched the electric steering. A shame, IMO.

I wonder what the consumer reaction was to power steering when it was introduced 50 or so years ago. I have driven Malibus and Equinoxes on and off for the past couple years, and I must say I prefer the electric steering. I guess it largely depends on what you get used to. Now, when I come out of a Malibu and into, say, an Impala I find the steering stiff.

I might have a poor example, but I find the steering disconnection very disturbing. I'm a manual tranny, sportscar kind of driver, but I get stuck in all kinds of beasts all the time (I've spent the winter in a 04 Mercury Mountaineer).

It's certainly just my opinion, but I'm going to try and hop a quick drive in an 07 'nox to check out the difference. To be honest, the seat comfort is also an issue to me, and both the steering and the seating combined leaves me a little dissapointed, as both are things that hit you on a test drive...ie they should have been corrected...The CRV or Escape are just better drivers, but obviously, less practical.

I'm glad I didn't imagine the steering ...I wonder if the reason is, how the steering would work if the engine failed, and no power was getting to the electric assist.

I have heard that was an issue....hyd. assist can be valved to steer controllably even if power fails.

B- Don't rule out an H3 - the price is coming down on these....tight turn rad - short wheelbase. I want one next.

I'm glad I didn't imagine the steering ...I wonder if the reason is, how the steering would work if the engine failed, and no power was getting to the electric assist.

I have heard that was an issue....hyd. assist can be valved to steer controllably even if power fails.

B- Don't rule out an H3 - the price is coming down on these....tight turn rad - short wheelbase. I want one next.

Not sure if anything is different now than on the first two models, but they had a terrible turning radius for a smaller SUV. It has decent pep off the line, but feels weak after you get going. I heard from some people that the ride was a little harsh, but I never had it out long enough to experience what they were talking about. I thought the Equinox was a nice little suv, I would recommend it.

I've since looked at the Eqinox and wasn't particularly smitten with the interior. The Vue on the other hand, has a very nice interior, tho the nose is rather arbitrary in design. They're both on the small side. I am pointing back toward the Aura, my intital consideration.

I've since looked at the Eqinox and wasn't particularly smitten with the interior. The Vue on the other hand, has a very nice interior, tho the nose is rather arbitrary in design. They're both on the small side. I am pointing back toward the Aura, my intital consideration.

You won't be disappointed with the AURA. When we had the Malibu, the wife took it but wanted to drive the Envoy more. Since getting the AURA in November, I have to let her know she's driving it too much! Just remember that it's a car and not a SUV. While offering a generous rear seat area (aka great legroom) and a decent sized trunk for a mid-sizer, an Equinox/Torrent/VUE may offer more cargo space depending on what your needs are. Did you at least check out the interior of teh Torrent for a comparsion of the three? The wife definitely liked the VUE's dash better, although the Torrent had the bells and whistles I like (for example, a comprehensive driver's info center). And the new 2008 VUE is suppose to be on the dealers lots in July - depending on when you need to have the new vehicle, that may also work out for you. I can't wait to see it, along with the G8, both in person next month at the NYIAS.

No- haven't gotten over to the Pontiac dealer to check the Torrent yet, but it's on my list.

I like one thing I've heard about the '08 Vue: no more honda V-6 !!

The 3.5 Honda V-6 is actually an excellent engine... its the transmission that's a bit iffy. Our Odyssey feels freakishly quick, especially past 4500 rpm, so I can only imagine how fast the VUE would be with 1000 fewer pounds.

Which VUE were you looking at... the 2.2, the 2.4, or the 3.5?